PDA

View Full Version : Fable 2 was great!

Ciderhelm
01-03-2009, 03:51 AM
I enjoyed it!

Arrivan
01-03-2009, 04:09 AM
So did I. **spoilers**

I didn't like the lack of a boss fight at the end though. It was kind of disappointing to just shoot Lucien and be done with it. I did like the way that some of the moral choices were more meaningful than just losing good points, but it could still be expanded on more.

Tobius
01-03-2009, 07:06 AM
I liked the original Fable (http://www.justadventure.com/thejave/html/Games/GamesF/FablePC/JAVE_Fable_PC.shtml) :)

Ciderhelm
01-03-2009, 07:13 AM
I liked the original Fable as well, though it was very short.

**spoiler**

Arrivan, I thought it fit very well in the context of the story. I didn't get to hear the dialogue though, because when he turned red I assumed he'd be a longer encounter, and I was tapping my blunderbuss as fast as I tap Shield Slam when waiting on a GCD.

I completed most of the quests the game had to offer before completing the game. I tend to stop playing a game after I beat it no matter how good the content is (unless it's multiplayer), so I made a point of doing everything I possibly could. It was very fulfilling. I did do the Castle Fairfax questline afterwards, though, and that was also good.

Hope Fable 2 gets an expansion!

Ceravantes
01-03-2009, 07:17 AM
Didn't finish it, it didn't compare to the original in my mind, and while I will go back and finish it one day, I am in no rush to do so. This was not the case with the original, I couldn't wait to keep playing.

I strongly dislike the spell system in the second. I also hate how the camera gets hazy when you run.

Ciderhelm
01-03-2009, 07:23 AM
Didn't finish it, it didn't compare to the original in my mind, and while I will go back and finish it one day, I am in no rush to do so. This was not the case with the original, I couldn't wait to keep playing.

I strongly dislike the spell system in the second. I also hate how the camera gets hazy when you run.
Maybe it's been a while since I played Fable 1, but Fable 2 felt an awfully lot like a big Fable 1 that had seen improvements in every way. I didn't get the feeling that Fable 1 was ahead in any category. Unlike a game like Halo, where the sequel was arguably much worse in story development, Fable 2 was indisputably more solid in that aspect than Fable 1.

If you tried a primary spell caster and that's your main irritation, I can understand that. I cleared almost exclusively with guns as my damage source. I used Time Stop, the most gamebreakingly awesome spell, and had a lot of fun mixing the Skill and Will categories to that end. I don't know how I would have enjoyed using spells as a main form of damage, though.

Arrivan
01-03-2009, 07:26 AM
Arrivan, I thought it fit very well in the context of the story. I didn't get to hear the dialogue though, because when he turned red I assumed he'd be a longer encounter, and I was tapping my blunderbuss as fast as I tap Shield Slam when waiting on a GCD.

I completed most of the quests the game had to offer before completing the game. I tend to stop playing a game after I beat it no matter how good the content is (unless it's multiplayer), so I made a point of doing everything I possibly could. It was very fulfilling. I did do the Castle Fairfax questline afterwards, though, and that was also good.

Hope Fable 2 gets an expansion!

I suppose so, but I do like having boss fights at the end of RPGs. The moral choice afterwards was a nice touch though, especially since I'd had a family and the dog is kind of useful. On an unrelated topic the co-op is kind of lacking because you're both on the same screen. Greater exploration of co-operative content in any future Fable games would be nice.

ninja edit: I played through as a pure spell caster and it was quite annoying at points, especially later on where you'd get zerged by spire guards who hit quite hard. It sucked not having any defense other than standing there and taking it until my fire AOE finished charging up.

Ceravantes
01-03-2009, 07:32 AM
The story in itself is on par, if not better than Fable 1, that is far from my complaint. I dislike the changes in gameplay, and that makes the game inferior in my mind. It is probably just me, but I have always been able to overlook large flaws in games and continue to enjoy them. However stupid little problems, like the way the screen looks when running in Fable 2, will cause me to despise a game.

As far as damage dealing, I also am using primarily ranged/melee, and would have even if the spell system was...any good at all. Being able to have a couple spells on hand in Fable 1 was great, having to stand still and "charge" a spell was a very poor design change. The problem with it though, isn't that you had to stand still, its that they changed it so that you had to stand still.

In my mind the gameplay of Fable 1 is what made it great, the story was epic, but to short to have made it as good as it really was. I personally hate when any designer tries to improve on something that needs no improvement, it always ends up breaking it.

Ciderhelm
01-03-2009, 07:37 AM
Cera, if you pick it back up, I'd strongly suggest an investment in Time Stop. Roll away from a target then tap it once and you'll have time to cast anything else. I normally do a rank 1 Time Stop followed by a rank 5 Time Stop, head-shot 3 targets, then refresh the rank 5. Time Stop is also awesome for all of the humorous enemy dialogue following repeated uses of it.

Ceravantes
01-03-2009, 08:17 AM
I have time stop rank 1 now, havent really bothered with anything above rank 2 for spells, just have all my will xp sitting because I will rarely, if ever charge a spell anyways.

I'll get back to it once World at War Veteran is finished....just have to get through Relentless first, hardest level in any of the CoD's yet.

Kazeyonoma
01-04-2009, 04:42 AM
this reminds me... i need to beat Fallout3

CKaz
01-06-2009, 07:11 AM
My wife beat Fable I and II, I never really got deeply into either tho I'm a big RPG buff.
Specifically Fable II, no minimap seemed to be a [big] mistake, and combat too easy.

But again I didn't get into the game too deeply either.
I think my wife ended up owning the real estate of an entire city and 3-4 husbands, lol.

-> Just beat CoD4 actually, I always just focused on the Multiplayer, don't have CoD5
-> Don't have Fallout3 yet because there is just so much gaming I can do at once ;)

xKhellendrosx
01-06-2009, 11:01 AM
I haven't finished Fable 2 but there are still things about both 1 and 2 that I hated. The scarring mechanic for one (and now its weird blue scars?) I also never cared for how your character gets all bulked up as you learn strength skills. I could understand it if you were putting points in Physique, but I've generally been more skill oriented using ranged weapons. I love my master flintlock pistol with its ghoul and lucky charm augments.

Lore
01-06-2009, 11:45 AM
I just started playing it yesterday and there are spoilers on the first page of this thread WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE