PDA

View Full Version : Help... What is...

Volker
12-30-2008, 10:08 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for viewing this thread.

I got some questions which i cant find summrized. So need help...

For PROT Warrior Taurens

1) Defence Cap 540 (will it be useful compared to stacking Dodge or block) How much can Defence rating do after 540?

2) Is there Hit Rating Cap?

3) Wats Expertise for... how useful and is there a Cap?

4) Is Str more useful then AP for PROT SPEC or use the gem slot for +stam,def,dodge?

5) Stacking HP useful? I have been stacking STAM but i heard its not as useful as BC days..

6) Whats is the poritity for Tank?
STAM, DEF, DODGE, BLOCK, PARRY, STR?

Many thanks and much apprecieted feed back.

Volk

loquatious
12-30-2008, 10:47 PM
Look up the rating article in these forums it does summarize your requests

1) 540 good, more better. As good as Dode better than block in most situations
2) There is a hit rating cap its 8%
3) Expertise takes dodge and parry off the table - the tooltip tells you about it
4) str is better than ap - str benefits from talents and kings
5) stacking health is very useful
6) It depends - generically the stats come with the better gear. You gem for stam in most case, but Expertise/strength/hit/dodge ar nice

Chronic
01-04-2009, 10:43 PM
If 8% is the hit rating cap i suppose that means about 150 hit rating "points"?

Firstprime
01-05-2009, 04:49 AM
If 8% is the hit rating cap i suppose that means about 150 hit rating "points"?

263 actually

sorednbored
01-05-2009, 09:52 AM
1) Defence Cap 540 (will it be useful compared to stacking Dodge or block) How much can Defence rating do after 540?

Paraphrasing Lore slightly here...

540 Defense Skill

Is not a Cap
Is not a Peak
Is not an End

It's a MINIMUM.

540 Defense is the MINIMUM amount of Defense Skill required to tank Raid Bosses.

Even once you've pushed Critical Hits off of the combat table, Defense Rating is still the best Avoidance/Mitigation stat you can get bar none. It provides almost (and I mean almost) as much pure avoidance as Dodge Rating, but due to the changes in the Warrior Block mechanics that 3.0 brought, the Block Rating Defense gives makes it the superior Stat. (IMO)

Before Diminishing Returns:
41 Defense Rating = 1% Avoidance (Miss + Dodge + Parry) + 0.33% Block Chance
41 Dodge Rating = 1.04% Avoidance

Basically you're trading 0.04% Avoidance for 0.33% Block.

And as Block Rating is not subject to Diminishing Returns it's probably gonna be more beneficial than that .04% Avoidance by the time you get it anyway.

2) Is there Hit Rating Cap?Yes, but there's some debate as to if it's +8% (263 Rating) or +9% (296 Rating) chance to hit. This may have been clarified somewhere and is assumed no +hit from Talents/Racials.

3) Wats Expertise for... how useful and is there a Cap?Expertise is excellent stat. It works similar to Hit Rating. Instead of decreasing YOUR chance to miss the boss like +Hit, it decreases the BOSSES chance to Dodge & Parry YOU.

As a Tank, Expertise > Hit rating due to the defensive bonus given by reducing Parries.

Expertise has 2 Caps. The 'soft cap' of 26 Skill for removing Dodges and a 'hard cap' of 57 Skill to remove Parries.

A 1% reduction of Dodge/Parry will need 32.78998947 (33) Expertise Rating.
A 6.5% Reduction (Dodge Cap) will need 214 Expertise Rating.
A 14.25% Reduction (Parry Cap) will need 468 Expertise Rating.

4) Is Str more useful then AP for PROT SPEC or use the gem slot for +stam,def,dodge?Yes. A Bright Scarlet Ruby - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=39999) will give you 32 AP. That's it.

a Bold Scarlet Ruby - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=39996) will give you 32 AP (1 Str = 2 AP) and +16 Block Value.

And I believe for Death Knights, their Parry chance is increased with Strength, but I don't know the exact ratings.

5) Stacking HP useful? I have been stacking STAM but i heard its not as useful as BC days..Effective Health is normally the best way of surviving most content that you are either undergeared or unprepared for.

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f192/1060-effective-health-theory.html Read this.

Once you start getting comfortable with encounters, go for more Avoidance or Offensive Stats.

6) Whats is the poritity for Tank?
STAM, DEF, DODGE, BLOCK, PARRY, STR?You should prioritise whatever the encounter requires, but the basic checklist is:

* 540 Defense Skill (or the equivalent Defense/Resilience combination)

* As much Stamina and Armor as you can get on your crappy gear.

* Start balancing out your stats as you and your healers start to get better gear and more comfortable with the content. Diminishing Returns on Dodge and Parry means evenly distributing stats is generally better than stacking one.

* Start collecting different gear and gem/enchant to the strengths of the piece. Most well-geared tanks will have Effective Health gear, Avoidance gear, Block Value gear and possibly a 'DPS' tank set too if the BV set is lacking.