PDA

View Full Version : 2.5% more avoidance or 500 health?

mandoro
12-30-2008, 09:11 AM
This may seem like a small thing, but I would like to maximize what I get out of my gear to the fullest. Ive come across something now that Ive gotta a few things from Naxx 10.

After gemming up pieces and making sure my defense is at or above 540, I checked my avoidance and my health with my 4 new pieces. Im at 67.8 avoidance (or so the macro tells me) and at 26k health. If I switch my headpiece and my boots (engineering goggles and tempered titansteel treads) I get 65.13 avoidance and 26.5k health. Now just out of curiosity which is better to go with?

EDIT: The armory shows the new pieces so imagine tempered titansteel treads with +22 stam and the armored titanium goggles with the +32 stam %2% increased armor gem and a +8 def rating & +12 stam gem.

Tyranid
12-30-2008, 09:44 AM
Id stick with the avoidance. There are very few fights where HP is big. Malygos, Sartharion (with drakes) come to mind.

Omok
12-30-2008, 10:03 AM
Everyone has their preference, I would probably go with the health. I like damage to be consistent, even if the healers work a bit harder. Gotta keep em entertained.

Xav
12-30-2008, 05:17 PM
Block rating is not avoidance, please do not call it avoidance. Block rating is a form of mitigation. Avoidance is: Chance mobs miss you, your dodge %, and your parry %.

Conreeaght
12-31-2008, 11:49 AM
Block rating is not avoidance, please do not call it avoidance. Block rating is a form of mitigation. Avoidance is: Chance mobs miss you, your dodge %, and your parry %.

I agree with this. Only in the case of offtanking mobbs like whelps from tenebron, or firespawns (not enraged,) or loatheb, or other rare/heroic encounters could block be considered even close to avoidance. When you are up against mobbs that hit for ungodly numbers, you aren't exactly avoiding it, rather softening the blow.

The 'old fashioned' way of learning bosses, was to stam/armor up the tank as much as possible and go from there. Though now with more limited numbers, less rotations, that could have gone the way of the dinosaur. However, this strategy worked for me progressing through naxx10 and over half way through naxx25. Now I'm moving to a more avoidance model out of preference for a change of pace and it's been successful thus far. But that's just me.

To add to the boss list where I think HP matters: Maexxna. I use her myself as a litmus test, especially in situations with limited Heals over Time. Sure I time my sheild block as the first button after a web spray to let the healers catch up and maybe stop a possible killing strike, but it is your HP that matters. (again, IMO!)

Patchwerk is a case where you want both...and a whole lot more. *shudder* Though there was a time when someone left dbm hateful strike announces on in a patch-25 and everyone was impressed with the ~20% I tanked him through dodging and parrying the hateful strikes like a champ. Only to eat 3 in a row. :(

In short, I reccomend HP to about ~27k unbuffed (a lofty but reachable goal while still obeying socket rules), but this is only from personal experience (which isn't a very good thing to go on, The numbers may very well prove me wrong.)

Omok
12-31-2008, 12:08 PM
I personally think avoidance is a waste to go for on Patchwerk. If you're relying on luck to keep you alive through hateful strikes, your luck will run out eventually. Your healers will be spamming you regardless of whether you dodge or parry an attack, having more avoidance will just cause overhealing. Until a fight takes reactionary healing, hoping avoidance saves you will probably lead to disaster.

Lightmgl
12-31-2008, 02:26 PM
Ignoring the shield block chance mixup you should be piling on the stam completely. You'll get more than enough avoidance purely from gear. Anything that gives you a combined 40+% dodge/parry unbuffed is enough and beyond that is just icing on the cake.

Health on the otherhand you should be aiming for 31k-32k unbuffed at least so you have a long way to go there. It may be awhile till you get to the fights where it'll make the largest difference but you'll be glad that you have it when you get there. Sarth +3 is impossible without unbuffed health at those levels. Fights like Enraged Faerlina and Malygos become alot easier with it. It gives you alot more leeway for giant aoe pulls too.

frim
01-02-2009, 10:55 AM
I'm just curious if you were refering to the old macro that would simply add up your miss/dodge/parry rates (and perhaps block as well if it was based on the old uncrushable pally macro) or if this is a new macro that took into account DRs on avoidance.

If its the prior, then does anybody have a macro or know of a mod that will report what your estimated avoidance is after DR is applied?

Omok
01-02-2009, 11:30 AM
Use the Ratings Buster addon, it figures out all of the diminishing returns for you.