PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions For Christmas Dinner Menu

Leytur
12-23-2008, 06:18 AM
I need something veggie and maybe another side dish. . . could do mashed potatoes but that's boring. . .

New England Clam Chowder
Some sort of brisket roast

Dutch Apple Pie a la mode (why make dessert when you can buy this frozen and it's simply awesome)

kolben
12-23-2008, 07:34 AM
You didn't ask about the main dish, but I'm a Prime Rib convert with a really good Horse Radish sauce. I'll never cook a turkey or ham for a holiday meal again. Brisket is excellent as well.

My mom makes a killer cranberry sauce. Before you laugh... it's actually awesome. Plain old cranberry sauce, grated orange peel, and walnuts. Probably something else in there too, but damn it's good. I dislike ordinary cranberry sauce for the record.

I like potatoes au'gratin for some reason, so I tend to make it or ask for it. Marion Berry pie is excellent if you can find it, it's kind of an Oregon/Pacific coast thing.

Zyffyr
12-23-2008, 09:42 AM
Marion Berry pie is excellent if you can find it, it's kind of an Oregon/Pacific coast thing.

If you happen to be on the East Coast, even if you do find something claiming to be Marion Berry it is in most cases actually Blackberry. Not even close to the same thing.

One semi-veggie side dish popular with my family is made of pickled asparagus, cream cheese, and ham.

Take ham slices (pre-packaged lunchmeat type,nothing fancy), spread a layer of cream cheese on one side, lay one spear of the asparagus along one edge, roll it up, cut into ~1 inch sections. Repeat until you are out of either meat or asparagus. Note : pickled asparagus is a must, regular stuff just doesn't work as well for it.

Quick and easy to prepare.

Sanelora
12-24-2008, 09:10 AM
i have only been to the states once so i dont know rough availability but go with the "french" Veg for the chowder - Asparagus and the like:

For the asparagus:
get about say, 3-4 good stalks per person (that is if it is the only other veg on your plate, otherwise you can get away with 1-2)

Microwave (easy):
Split up the middle with a bit of water and drop it in the microwave until they are soft all the way through.
If you arent opposed to salt, pepper and oil; before you microwave them, paint the asparagus lightly with extra virgin olive oil* and i must emphasise lightly, otherwise you will drown it. Grind some salt and pepper on top and go until it is soft.

* - light butter or low salt margarine will do nicely if you don't want straight out olive oil but lets be honest, it is better for you, is easier to apply and will have a nicer flavour :p

Pan seared (not hard by not as easy as microwaving):
Asparagus are very resilient and can take a beating. however it is quite important that you dont overcook them. Get a pan on medium to medium high heat and melt some butter. When it is all melted and that butter is starting to bubble, put about 6 stalks of asparagus in and grind some salt/pepper/herbs/spices onto it - they will carry most flavors quite well. the heads of the asparagus should go quite dark green and the stalk itself will start to darken a bit but not much. remove them from the pan and place on paper towels to absorb the excess liquid oil/fat from the butter. keep going until you have the required amount for all of your guests. If it is cold where you are, make sure to keep them warm!

what kind of roast are you talking about? - Brisket roast is a very broad term considering that all animals yeild a brisket cut however i assume you are talking about fully matured beef brisket and not veal or whatever else :p
(my fav brisket cut is venison)

anyways, happy holidays!

Jalousie
12-24-2008, 02:21 PM
I need something veggie and maybe another side dish. . . could do mashed potatoes but that's boring. . .

New England Clam Chowder
Some sort of brisket roast

Dutch Apple Pie a la mode (why make dessert when you can buy this frozen and it's simply awesome)

At first I got excited and assumed veggie = vegetarian, but anyway:

- some kind of roasted butternut squash dish
- mashed swede with butter and pepper
- honey-roast parsnips
- aubergine (or eggplant if you're American) with a chili glaze:

1 medium aubergine
1 garlic clove
2 teaspoons hot sauce
2 teaspoons sugar or sweetener
1/4 cup water
oil for frying

GLAZE:
In a small saucepan heat water, hot sauce, sugar and minced garlic until sugar is dissolved. Boil for 2 minutes.

AUBERGINE:
Slice aubergine into finger-thick rounds. Sprinkle with salt and let stand for 10 minutes, then rinse. Heat oil in a pan. Fry slices for about 3 minutes over medium to low flame. Now flip them over and carefully spread a teaspoon or so of glaze over them. Cover and fry for 2 more minutes. Test with a fork - it should be tender.