PDA

View Full Version : arms pvp wtf?

demoniclizard
12-22-2008, 07:21 PM
I am used to pvping in prot and i did pretty well with lots of utility but people in my guild suggested respecing arms

so i gave it a shot and WTF?! my warrior is nothing more than a garbage target dummy on the battlefield, the second i get into battle I am stunned/kited/rooted/cc'd/snared and whatever I was trying to kill is gone forever, sure trinket and intercept again, only to get rooted/cc'd/stunned/kited again and now I am stuck waiting to die

is there a really important thing I am missing about arms pvp or is this spec just a joke? I don't seem to do any more burst damage than I did in prot, in fact I am probably doing less because I cant take more than a swing at one target before its gone

Bloodwraith
12-22-2008, 08:04 PM
Its not a joke. It has always been very healer/gear dependent. Prot has always had more survivability compared to arms.

Rybio
12-23-2008, 10:04 PM
I did the same thing yesterday. Respeccing prot again once the servers are back online =)

Kedearian
12-24-2008, 12:13 AM
Its the price you have to pay for mortal strike

Kataztrophe
12-24-2008, 04:49 AM
Its the price you have to pay for mortal strike

Unfortunately, burst damage in PVP is so high, the Mortal Strike debuff is not as strong as it used to be. In the current state of things, even without a MS debuff, a healer can't out heal the insane burst that a rogue and what say a ret pally can do to one target in like 5 seconds.

uhk
12-26-2008, 09:05 AM
i hear you dude, the thing im xperiencing is quite the same...
warriors used to cause fear amongst every other player, now we are something not even worth of "targeting" to kill... so much burst and magic damage is insane...

DK's hitting from 20 yrds, REtpallys crittin HoW from the distance and we, cant even shift to shields to avoid being 2 or 3 shotted by a mage. really, arms needs love

swelt
12-26-2008, 10:22 AM
PvP is going through a phase at the moment. Everyone has had weeks to farm PvE epic gear from heroics, naxx 10 and 25. PvP gear has only just become available and most of that requires rating and arena points, so won't be common for a few more weeks at least. So everyone is wearing PvE gear and the game is playing like it did pre-TBC. When things settle down, when resilience starts being commonplace and crit reliant specs are the ones whining on the forums again, mortal strike and it's counterparts will once more become a significant part of pvp.

Until that time, classes/specs with significant 'built-in' survivability (or just insane burst) will probably have a better time of it in PvP.

Clav
12-31-2008, 03:08 AM
PvP is going through a phase at the moment. Everyone has had weeks to farm PvE epic gear from heroics, naxx 10 and 25. PvP gear has only just become available and most of that requires rating and arena points, so won't be common for a few more weeks at least. So everyone is wearing PvE gear and the game is playing like it did pre-TBC. When things settle down, when resilience starts being commonplace and crit reliant specs are the ones whining on the forums again, mortal strike and it's counterparts will once more become a significant part of pvp.

Until that time, classes/specs with significant 'built-in' survivability (or just insane burst) will probably have a better time of it in PvP.

My friend who is a ret pally can still burst down a 900res warlock during a hand of justice stun. (the highest res geared player he could find)

Backorifice
12-31-2008, 06:19 AM
Man i loved how blizzard make a prot war do damage.

But i still prefer pvp and dps with a arms spec.

I think the way of pvp for a Arms spec war, inst max your survivability, but how fast you can debuff and kill your target.

wt smeg
01-11-2009, 04:33 AM
I've amassed all the pvp gear can buy (I have nothing to spend it on now and I have 2 necks and 2 cloaks) and im 664 resil, but i still die in less than 2 seconds fwhen attcked by 2 retardins or ret+dk. Mages i take slightly longer to die to espec if they play with me by polymorphing .
I tried using pve gear, the only diffenece i die in 4 hits not 5!
I've tried fury as well as arms(the top rated arena warrior i could find in arenajunkies is fury as are 5 of the top 10 2v2 teams)
Fury is ok if you meet a non resil lock, or priest with no shield or low resil moonkin but thats about it! Death wish nerf hurts tho.
prot is only good as part of team play and 99% time im just solo in Bgs. even then prot pallys kill me very easilly even tho long borign battle.
I have to say unless you a ret/DK/rogue you arent even in the pvp melee game.
rets have been in another league pvp wise for so long we can only guess why blizzard havent tried tweaking them to even out PvP play.

Chisgule
01-12-2009, 10:26 AM
I've amassed all the pvp gear can buy (I have nothing to spend it on now and I have 2 necks and 2 cloaks) and im 664 resil, but i still die in less than 2 seconds fwhen attcked by 2 retardins or ret+dk. Mages i take slightly longer to die to espec if they play with me by polymorphing .
I tried using pve gear, the only diffenece i die in 4 hits not 5!
I've tried fury as well as arms(the top rated arena warrior i could find in arenajunkies is fury as are 5 of the top 10 2v2 teams)
Fury is ok if you meet a non resil lock, or priest with no shield or low resil moonkin but thats about it! Death wish nerf hurts tho.
prot is only good as part of team play and 99% time im just solo in Bgs. even then prot pallys kill me very easilly even tho long borign battle.
I have to say unless you a ret/DK/rogue you arent even in the pvp melee game.
rets have been in another league pvp wise for so long we can only guess why blizzard havent tried tweaking them to even out PvP play.

The impression that I get is that if you're playing arms or fury you need to gear extremely defensively (resil like crazy), and that if you're playing any prot variant you need to gear more offensively. I know this may sound like a stupid question, but are you spell reflecting every time it's up against casters (including DKs)?

Bluntfist
01-13-2009, 08:36 AM
I have found that DW arms is the way to go for pvp. With the speed of the rage you build up + Sudden Death, like someone said, the faster you kill them, the safer you are. By equipping a 2 hander, im usually dead before one of my main talents proc.

HOWEVER!

Warbringer + Imp Charge + both charge glyphs = SO MUCH FUN!
Imp spell reflect, imp disarm, imp revenge, shockwave, SaB. OMG prot is the way to go.

I dont understand why people are so obsessed with their damage. Pssh, i may do half the damage dps wars do, but i can promise you, the mobility and longevity that prot provides goes a long way in pvp.

Beardly
01-13-2009, 11:24 AM
meh prots okay, a good dk will always immasculate a good prot warrior if they can call out when the stuns will come and IBF its pretty much gg. also about 9/10 of our attacks are magic so ggarmor ^.^
in this season, mobility only can go so far until retardoburst takes over...
on a lighter note, im rerollng holypala!
lol

Broolie
01-30-2009, 01:29 PM
I read an article recently talking about this season of Arena and how the pvp gear isnt itemized as well as it should be to allow growth room for the newer seasons. Someone said that even in full pvp gear you dont have enough resilience to make "much" of a difference; and that to have your resilience high enough for it to be worth it you should be at about 1200 resilience which at this point is almost impossible, especially without gimping your other stats.
Just like S1, pve gear is king in season 5. As season 6 comes out and there is more resilience on it, you'll see less and less pve gear.

Conreeaght
01-30-2009, 11:04 PM
DKs seem to be immasculating everyone right now. I don't know weather it's a case of people complaining because of the overpresence of them, or if there's merrit to the case. I do see a ton of ret/dk teams going on though.

I'm used to pvp as arms, pve as prot. Today's arms is slightly under where I'd like it to be, but is still more fun then fury - which is the choice if you're max-mining for pvp (which IS more skill based.)

PvP as prot is alot of fun too, and can do decently well, but assuming all skill is equal - it will come out third except in select encounters where your little bag of tricks can benefit the fight. Diminishing returns on stuns, silences seems to be what ultimately does the protties in. :(

Beardly
02-02-2009, 11:50 AM
ret dk is not nearly as good as people think it is...you cant just faceroll (even though its a faceroll team lol) i mean, you have to coordinate and most teams out there can just burst the crap out of one of you...warrior pvp is fine, its just that the skill cap for playing them has gone up quite a bit

Boost
02-04-2009, 05:16 AM
I am bored, full of sugar and coffein...

..so idi*tic ideas comes ! :D

..so..i like idea of combo points or rune system, so why the hell give something similar to warriors ;)

..so my idea is :
Enrage points ( passive )
Your auttoattack have 35% chance to activate 1 enrage point for you. ( ora on target..who knows ). Works only in PVP combat.

..so, how do i spend them ? :

" LAST WISH ? " enrage bonus ( +20% dmg bonus for 6s, cost 5 enrage points )
" WANNA PLAY BIG BOY ? " enrage bonus ( +10% po dobu 4s x enrage point used )
" NO TOUCHING PUNK !! " ( +30% to blocking 6s, cost 5 enrage points)
" GRAVESTONE LUNCH FOR YA!! " ( +20% block value 6s, cost 5 enrage points )
" TICKLE " ( enemy cant cast/attack for 1s x enrage point, same as your oponent, you cant do anything )
" HOLD IT FOR A SEC MATE " ( instant attack with both weapons ( block value used when shield equiped ) , cant crit, cost at least 3 enrage points )
" YOU LITTLE BASTAR.." ( +20% parry rating, can parry even without weapon, last 5s, cost at least 3 enrage points )
" MOMMY SAID,FAERIES DONT EXISTS ! " (next magic ability used on you will automaticly do nothing ( :D ), cost 5 enrage points, 2 min cooldown )

..wait that will be 7 new abillities putted on my action bar ??? <-- ..wait..well..not all ideas are flawless right !?

Bloodwraith
02-04-2009, 03:10 PM
I recently checked the statistics, and Fury seems to be a more popular choice right now. TG+PvE Gear= Win from what I can tell.

Kazeyonoma
02-04-2009, 05:41 PM
that's what I noticed too BW, i'm thinking about trying it after tonight's raids, to see how it fairs but I need a good healer to try it, holy paladin seems to be the winning combo but my holy pally is caught up in his 3v3 madness #2 spot now.

Bloodwraith
02-04-2009, 06:05 PM
I have a two handed mace, but my other decent weapon is a polearm lol.

Kazeyonoma
02-04-2009, 06:11 PM
lol same, i have a good two handed axe but my next best weapon is an polearm =(

Beardly
02-04-2009, 07:59 PM
Yea theres a warrior on my server named Crity whose full hateful and glad with Betrayer of Humanity and Death's bite...needless to say he rapes. I agree that Fury will be what you will see most often, but dont underestimate a geared MS warrior bladestorming in yer face after a hamstring...that would hurt

Kazeyonoma
02-05-2009, 12:10 PM
yeh, i'm trying to build up more survival gear though, my dps as fury would be insane but with the amount of burst out there i'd probably drop in seconds. slowly but surely, archavon will reward me with more than just gloves lol

Nez
02-05-2009, 12:12 PM
I do pvp once in a while in my PVE gear as fury. I can tear it up, but get totally insta nuked all the time. lol Working on some pvp gear now. :D

Bloodwraith
02-05-2009, 02:25 PM
I've got a full set, just grabbed the non-rating gear with honor. It really doesn't make a difference. In PvP gear I have 21k health, and pretty low DPS stats. Around 500 resil. Still get burned in seconds.

demoniclizard
02-06-2009, 05:15 AM
you would do better to just stay in your pve gear, fury needs too much stats to be effective, wearing gladiator gear gimps your stats by such an insane margin it is not worth it

half the time you will be ignored/kited/cc'd which makes all that resil useless

the other half, you will probably die in seconds resilience or not

your best bet would be to rely on a shield/def stance and shield wall if your focused

retaliation -> def stance with shield is also a strong move against melee with fury spec since your still hitting back with a giant 2h

warriors still though are gimp in arena

Beardly
02-06-2009, 11:34 AM
i agree, the amount of change in the top 100 as far as warriors go is retarded...it went from like every team having one to almost none. sad =(