PDA

View Full Version : How does Prot fare in PvP right now?

Kininye
12-19-2008, 10:45 AM
I'm curious what others think on the subject. Though I MTed for a tier 6 guild in BC, I also spent a fair amount of time PvPing in prot (although no experience in Arenas). I had decent set of PvP gear and PvPed enough that I'm not completely noobish at it. I thought one-on-one, Prot was great, even arguably better than Arms. In groups, though, I was either a brick wall that enemies crashed into....or, if they were smart, just walked around. I could annoy healers, but rarely kill one (except resto shamans).

Patch 3.0 took that into overdrive and I was feeling pretty good about Prot PvP.

Then WotLK hits and everyone levels and goes instancing, and PvP dies down until Season 5 starts. After a few days of finally finding available BGs....I'm a bit disheartened. I've tried tank gear and PvP gear, but I get smashed repeatedly. Even one-on-one it's a toss up that usually isn't in my favor. I'm not sure what it is, but I'm terribly afraid it is talent tree. I hope it's just the classic warrior scaling with gear thing, but....ugh.

Who else been doing a lot of PvP as Prot since 80? What's your take on it?

Jecked
01-02-2009, 03:35 PM
I have been doing a few bgs now. I got to say I love pvp in proc am hard to take down and deal medium amounts on damage but the real thing is my inturrpts. Hav 3 good ones with gag order, cb, sw and there still the charge stun. It takes two or 3 guys to take me down now or a will played mage. I got to say i love what they done for proc warr's. I am in t7 and t7.5 gear.

Sleepingbag
01-04-2009, 04:28 AM
I have been running arena with a DK friend and just hit 1609 rating. Im pretty happy with the way I am able to dps and stun/silence healers and casters. Just wondering if anyone else is doing prot arena?

Chisgule
01-04-2009, 07:28 AM
I ran about 25 games in the first week of the arena season with a holy paladin. We brought the team up to 1669, and then I went on vacation with 200+ ms :\ I decided that we'd wait to play 2s until I got home.

I think the big lesson with a prot warrior is that if your silence/stun chain is perfect against healer-X, it's devastating. Anything else is outright ineffective. As a result, if you've got a 150+ ping you basically shouldn't bother queuing. I discovered this while toying around with 3s with holy pal, ret pal, prot war. It was clear as daylight that if I was mortal strike spec we'd have been facerolling, but instead, it was an internet connection failfest, haha. I'm sure you've experienced it... they start casting, you hit shield bash/pummel, and it doesn't fire off until they've already finished casting.

The one comp that absolutely obliterated us was rogue-lock. We'll need more practice and a 1900+ rating before I'm ready to call it an anti-comp though.

Edit: To answer your question more directly, here's a link to SK gaming's top Prot-warrior Holy-Paladin listings: World of Warcraft Arena Ranking | SK Gaming (http://www.sk-gaming.com/arena/team/2/all/all/all/all/all/13/21////)