PDA

View Full Version : Naxxramas Grand Widow Faerlina

Ciderhelm
12-15-2008, 01:47 PM
Click here to watch the Grand Widow Faerlina (Achievement Included) movie guides! (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f206/42550-naxxramas-grand-widow-faerlina.html#post140759)

Ciderhelm
12-15-2008, 01:47 PM
This movie is available for direct download for Donors. Click here to learn more! (http://www.tankspot.com/premium.php)

62b9SxkjRxI

Lower Resolution (Low Bandwidth)
62b9SxkjRxI

Horacio
12-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Got her last night and initially I figured my tank gear was good enough to fight through the enrage with 2 healers on me exclusively. Nope. It might have been more a function of slow DPS than anything else but she rocked my world. I'll wait and see how Cider's peeps did it before I comment further.

On a side note, it took me 5 minuted to figure out the loot as she dropped "Boots of the Follower" and "Boots of the Worshipper" , both leather, one spellpower and one melee DPS. Oh man, that fried my brain.

Ciderhelm
12-15-2008, 03:04 PM
Low res version in! Stay tuned for high res.

Dakki
12-15-2008, 03:21 PM
We downed her on the first try with our Naxx 10 raid Saturday (with, honestly, some really low DPS).

It's a gimmick fight and not much else. If you've got the healing and the tanks to get through the trash to her, and your DPS knows when to switch targets, it's almost trivial to shut down her enrage and poison bolts. We had one of her enrages last for something like two-tenths of a second before the DPS finished off the last add.

Mind you, if you screw up, it's gonna be tough. She DOES hit like a truck when she's enraged. You can afford to kill one add too early, but if you kill two at the wrong time, hope you've got some painkillers.

Lizana
12-15-2008, 03:30 PM
I take a melee non burst dps - Fury warrior for example and burn the adds all down to about 20k hp, then i have the dps get back on the boss. I will work each add down to 3k hp. then go dps the boss. When she enrages i switch kill and add and go back to boss. I make my OT( a pally) main tank this fight since i can push more dps. The only thing to make sure to do is no aoe. Single target dps, AOE can catch an add and push it over when you need it to stay alive

Horacio
12-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Ok Confession: I was unaware that there was a range on the 'pacify' thing so I drug her all the way back to a corner and had a DK work them down then whack one when she enraged. Imagine my suprise when this did nothing.

You have to be far enough away to keep your people out of the silence, but close enough to make pulling and add over to sacrifice quick. Especially if the DK's taunt fails and you have to go grab an add yourself, lol.

In other words, I'm talking out of my arse, just do it like Cider does and you win.

Ciderhelm
12-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Updated w/ YouTube HD.

Dazhbog
12-15-2008, 05:32 PM
A few things I noticed:

1) The worshipers on 10-man have a fairly low amount of health, to the point where I called for a burn on the first one to 50%, and it ended up accidentally dying. We use a DK tank on Faerlina, so I found the easiest method (as the OT on the worshipers) was to round up all 4 (see note 2), actually focus on the first one to bring it down (personally focus, not the whole raid damaging it), and then have the DK grip it over and the raid murders it. After the 1st add, I don't do anything other then Holy Shield, rinse repeat with the deathgrip -> murder.

2) Spell interrupts helped me quite a bit on the 25 man version in rounding up the 4 worshipers, since they're all casters. I stood dead center on the green circle and had a mage counterspell each add to me in turn.

Morgo
12-15-2008, 06:52 PM
In case you want to have her enraged full time anyways, you can keep your raid outside of the room, while a hunter pulls the boss and feign deaths. The boss will reset, but her adds won't - They run through the closed doors and you can kill them at your leisure. After that, pull the boss and Bloodlust, she is basically dead before your and your offtank's cooldowns have run out.

We noticed that on our first clear due to a rogue pulling and vanishing :D

Kheapathic
12-24-2008, 05:22 AM
A nice little tidbit I found out the hard way is even though it's a small amount of dps (and any dps is welcome) a mage should not use mirror image on this fight (10 man, haven't tried on 25). We had all her worshipper's near death and turned our attention to Faerlina and when it came time to death-grip the add to her it was at full health. We wiped and my raid lead starting yelling about me polymorphing the worshippers. Long story short, your mirror images will poly the worshippers. The only thing that saved me is that they polymorph into penguins and I don't have that glyph.

Bhorg
12-31-2008, 10:36 AM
So we tried the 25 man yesterday. We've downed her 5 times or so in 10 man, and felt pretty prepared. We had 3 priests with us for the MCs!

One priest MC'd on the first pull and Widow's Embrace did not appear on his action bar. We figured this was a Dominos flaw of some kind. We wiped. Another priest tried on the next pull and said that the mob was immune. Third pull we got one and broke a frenzy no problem. Second frenzy also broken no problem. Third frenzy the MC'd mob broke the MC before spell could be cast and then both mobs were immune. Fourth pull (and fifth) mobs were Immune.
Figuring there was something going on that we didnt anticipate, we quit for the night.
So, everybody, wassup with that?

Darksend
12-31-2008, 02:31 PM
the only thing that would cause them to be immune would be if they were MCing the wrong type of mobs there are followers and worshipers make sure they are grabing the right ones.

Marotgus
01-05-2009, 06:26 AM
So we tried the 25 man yesterday. We've downed her 5 times or so in 10 man, and felt pretty prepared. We had 3 priests with us for the MCs!

One priest MC'd on the first pull and Widow's Embrace did not appear on his action bar.

We tried the 25 man with one priest for MC. Had the same problem with no new icon or action bar to dispel frenzy. Wiped, priest restarted wow with no add-ons, and it happened again. I do not have a priest pov, so what does the priest need to look for? Such a simple fight to have something like that mess it all up. Had the preparation be there, I am sure we could have not dispelled it.

Shortypop
01-05-2009, 06:40 AM
It is possible for lag/latency to cause problems with "immune", I believe, from what our priests have said that if they MC but move before it is finished, even if it looks finished, it breaks MC cos their character moves and not the mob they were trying to MC, and trying to re-MC causes "immune" messages. Best to MC a little early and have it all steady before running the mob to faerlina. As you say, kinda difficult to know what goes on on a priest's screen, but this is what I gather can happen.

Marotgus
01-07-2009, 08:51 AM
We tried the 25 man with one priest for MC. Had the same problem with no new icon or action bar to dispel frenzy. Wiped, priest restarted wow with no add-ons, and it happened again. I do not have a priest pov, so what does the priest need to look for? Such a simple fight to have something like that mess it all up. Had the preparation be there, I am sure we could have not dispelled it.
So 25 man faerlina was attempted again with the same results. The priest says there is nothing that she can use to dispel frenzy. Her husband even looked at her screen during the MC and he says the same thing. Again, all add-ons were off before we even zoned in.

Ciderhelm
01-07-2009, 09:02 AM
So 25 man faerlina was attempted again with the same results. The priest says there is nothing that she can use to dispel frenzy. Her husband even looked at her screen during the MC and he says the same thing. Again, all add-ons were off before we even zoned in.
There is an ability which sacrifices the mob. When the mob is sacrificed next to Faerlina, the Widow's Embrace becomes active.

You're not looking for an ability to dispel frenzies, you're looking for an ability that kills the mob.

Marotgus
01-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Thanks Cider. The only way you could be any more helpful is to run our raids for us. All is greatly appreciated.

Bhorg
01-12-2009, 06:14 AM
When the priests reconfigured their Action Bar mod (Dominos) it worked much better. I think what was happening to the other mobs, with the immune, was that they were in consecrate or death and decay or had a bleed effect on them that was disabling the MC. We ran into a similar issue on Razuvius. Of course, and as always, it could always be an issue between the chair and the keyboard. . .

Thanks for your input everybody.

Marotgus
01-14-2009, 06:39 AM
So is there someone out there who may have a screenshot of a priest pov with the ability on the action bar (or where ever it may be) so I can try to help my priest get this sacrificing thing down? Getting real old hearing the same thing every attempt, "There is nothing on my action bar".

Amethystine
01-17-2009, 09:57 AM
I did this fight (25-man) using no bar mods other than CT.

I had 44 hit rating, owing that I collect more crit/Spirit Spellpower gear for my build, and much of it does have a bit of hit. I MC'd each mob in turn, though the tank actually managed to kill the fourth by accident after I'd Widow Embraced the third.

I never ran into any of the problems being listed by Priests, the abilities were always available, and the mobs were never immune (and they were in Consecrations). I don't think our main tank took a single Frenzied hit.

What might be causing Priest MC to break early is the Poison Bolt Volley. The priest taking damage, from what I can tell, can easily cause it to break. I've countered this by making certain that one healer watches me and cleanses the poison ASAP. I MC about five seconds before Enrage cools down, and I hit Widow's Embrace the moment she enrages. Never failed.

bobsknief
01-19-2009, 08:15 AM
Hey Everyone,

Yesterday we killed Grand Widow Faerlina just tanking the enrage. (25 man)
Got to note that with 2 priest and 1 shaman heal my damage migration goes up to 87%. (armour cap 75% + 12% talents)

Thatís 3 tank healers and 3 off-tank/raid healers.

So if ever you donít have a spear priest to CM the adds you can always use a over-gear druid tank with 3 heals and just nuke(AOE) down the adds.

ridester234
01-26-2009, 08:16 AM
Hey guys i was just wondering if a Death knight could tank naxxramus easily?

Mine has 25k unbuffed and 554 defense...I am suppoed to b doing it this weekend and kinda need to know

sireousmoo
01-27-2009, 09:37 AM
Well with Priest being endangered species on my Server. We have 1 priest in our whole guild. Can it be done with 1 priest? Any try the Gnomish Mind Control Cap?

And Yes and DK can tank Naxx. You will need more HP before you try the construct wing though.

Jhared
02-02-2009, 02:32 AM
How does the switch between the MT and OT work? Just a taunt or the appropriate ability of a Pala or Druid tank? And that happens always when the tank's health is going low?

I am just preparing myself to start raiding. Difficult on our server as it seems they are only inviting tanks who are knowing all fights in Naxx / Sanctum...Beginners not wanted:)

rmd83
02-06-2009, 09:02 AM
easy fight, especially on 25 man we just burn the adds and heals keep tank up :). MC is only important on 25 man if your tanks are not well geared. Infact our MT is a dk and he is insanely good :D

Ladrone
02-06-2009, 01:37 PM
On 10man, we have a pally OT grab the adds and put down consecrate to hold aggro and do some damage. Faerlina is taken by our warrior MT near enough for consecrate to do damage and the adds to not have too far to travel. This helps also so the dps can just turn or move slightly to down the selected add for widows embrace.

Senti
02-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Quite honestly for Faerlina my groups have had trouble with Window's Embrace not getting rid of the frenzy. Going on from that situation we've actually found it to be easier, not saying it's always the case, to use the achievement method for downing her. Though I can not remember whether or not we had those problems in the 10 man or 25 man, if the latter then killing the adds was a misunderstanding on our part explaining the missing WE. Never the less good explanation that's a really complicated fight to explain for some reason and even explaining it we've had people down the adds at the wrong time out of habit.

Hustin
02-20-2009, 04:24 PM
Hey guys, can someone tell me what addons Ciderhelm uses? Could be good if someone post a list of addons that are on this video.

- The one that appears target health and target from target health.
- The one that appears messages like: Sword and Boar!, Revenge!
- The one that shows the % of health and rage.

Thanks.

Fortuna
02-24-2009, 02:47 AM

Same thing happened to me yesterday. :eek:

I was ready to MC, no problems there, and preparing to run to Grand Widow and use the Embrace....but....it didn't appeared on the bar. I had only Attack and Firebolt (i think it was called). I dismissed and tried to MC another one and still no Embrace on the bar. I think I MC 4 times and nothing happened.

Finally we got her down without using any embrace....and got the achievement as well, but still, I'm all confused why I didn't saw the embrace since another priest before me had it. (I'm using CT, not Dominos).

Byteme
03-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Quite honestly for Faerlina my groups have had trouble with Window's Embrace not getting rid of the frenzy. Going on from that situation we've actually found it to be easier, not saying it's always the case, to use the achievement method for downing her. Though I can not remember whether or not we had those problems in the 10 man or 25 man, if the latter then killing the adds was a misunderstanding on our part explaining the missing WE. Never the less good explanation that's a really complicated fight to explain for some reason and even explaining it we've had people down the adds at the wrong time out of habit.

Same thing keeps happening to my guild's group. We get to her enrage, take down one of the adds, and she hit me (the MT) like a truck. Maybe the solution for this problem is to simply have a priest MC one and drag it over to her, and do the WE, just to make sure that it isn't a range problem.

Whitegold
03-19-2009, 11:45 PM
We no longer struggle with this, though it got us stuck for a while. (This is for 10 man... we only have enough for that.)

One tank (me, for this fight) charges in and agros ALL mobs, holding them on the top of the platform. After a few seconds the other tank comes in and taunts Faerlina to the side, on the steps. Those few seconds are critical. The adds are oddly keen to run off after Faerlina, no idea why.

We have a mage and a healer on the platform. I gather the mobs (shield bash and heroic throw are perfect for this, so don't use it on the pull) in a neat group and mage AoEs, down to about 20%, depending on how fine you can do it. Some people take them as low as 5%, but I prefer a nice margin. Tab target to keep all of them even and on you. Interrupt where possible to save your healer a bit, but they really do NOT hit hard. At this point you're just iddling. There's no skill required.

Once you get them down to your predefined health, stop aoe and mage goes onto boss. When she is about to frenzy mage goes onto your target (meaning it's up the OT to be targetting the right add) and kills it very dead. Rinse and repeat.

Ignore the rain of fire. It doesn't do much damage and you're better off keeping everything in the right position than trying to chase things around. Faerlina can be moved if you want, to spare the melee DPS, but it's not necessary.

Once the last add is dead, both healers go onto targetting the MT, and the other tank goes to DPS on Faerlina as well.

Try to kill her before she kills the tanks. :)

There are a couple of things that can go wrong.

1. Make sure NO DPS other than the single assigned mage (or whatever) hit an add, for any reason whatsoever. We've had death knights (it's always DKs, for some reason) decide to helpfully slaughter the adds.
2. Make sure you're not too close. If you have one add getting hit by AoE on Faerlina you'll struggle to get them down evenly.
3. Make sure you're not too far away. The area of effect for the Embrace isn't all that big. Err on the side of caution and pull one over before you kill it if need be.

This makes for very easy raid instructions for all but the the one DPS: "Kill the skull."

dagimp007
03-27-2009, 10:54 AM
We downed her on the first try with our Naxx 10 raid Saturday (with, honestly, some really low DPS).

It's a gimmick fight and not much else. If you've got the healing and the tanks to get through the trash to her, and your DPS knows when to switch targets, it's almost trivial to shut down her enrage and poison bolts. We had one of her enrages last for something like two-tenths of a second before the DPS finished off the last add.

Mind you, if you screw up, it's gonna be tough. She DOES hit like a truck when she's enraged. You can afford to kill one add too early, but if you kill two at the wrong time, hope you've got some painkillers.
with any fight in naxx.. as long as people lisen and understand its an easy clear IMO... the problem is when u get people that dont lisen and never done a fight..

DaveyMcDave
04-05-2009, 04:23 PM
Hey guys, can someone tell me what addons Ciderhelm uses? Could be good if someone post a list of addons that are on this video.

- The one that appears target health and target from target health.
- The one that appears messages like: Sword and Boar!, Revenge!
- The one that shows the % of health and rage.

Thanks.

I'm not particularly sure about the particular ones that ciderhelm uses, but I use Scrolling Combat Text which shows up talent related procs, and other debuffs. I really want to know which particular addon setup ciderhelm uses, though, because I can't figure out how to make it circle around my character like that. It can get particularly annoying when you've got replenish/etc spamming over your character and you can't see what's going on.

Hades
09-12-2009, 11:27 PM
I usually end up as MT through the spider wing myself. Our guild currently lacks a priest above level 20, so we rely on a Healadin to keep my vertical, and a hedge for raid heals. I keep my OT (Prot pally) on the platform with the 4 adds (Still in Naxx10, btw) and deathgrip them down to me as needed, and use the Widow's Embrace reactively to end enrages. Works like a charm when the necessary pugs aren't dim-witted beyond words lol

Onyxfire
09-21-2009, 05:22 PM
i just wanna know where to get the HUD or whatever like he has.

Kazeyonoma
09-22-2009, 09:35 AM
Go to our User Interface/Addons forums and go to the sub-forum UI Compilations.

You'll find Cider's thread there as well as many other popular UIs.