PDA

View Full Version : Questions concerning 5man viability

Kerith
12-11-2008, 01:29 PM
I'm currently gearing up my warrior with the intention of off tanking for my guild's paladin main tank. My question is, is prot a viable for me to be running with the paladin in 5man heroics?

This character has been prot since level 40(around the time 3.0 hit) and I've loved every minute of it. I ran as prot with our MT in UK as soon as Wrath hit and it seemed to go by smoothly. But if me being prot is either going to hamper or straight out kill the group then I'm not going to do that.

I don't mind respecing if necessary, but my current prot set far outclasses my dps set and thats not saying much.

Just looking for some input on this, as I would enjoy not having to respec to run with my friends. :)

maexio
12-11-2008, 01:37 PM
Kerith, I am by no means an expert, but :
Prot is a very good build for Soloing, tanking (obviously) and other items. You don't state if you've hit 80 yet (assumed atm), but some facts :

1. Prot Does good Damage Output, but it is not a DPS spec. There is a difference. If Prot could put out the same DPS as Arms or Fury, then the other trees would be far less viable (do to less survivability, movement (via Warbringer), and overall Crowd Control abilities)
2. Depending upon your groups makeup (ie, if the rest of your 'friends' are all rogues, etc.. ) more Dps may be necessary, or more CC may be necessary. I routinely run with Tank Spec feral druids, but they rarely switch to Bear form (except when i screw up, which is less rare than i would like).. So at the very least you will want your DPS set to be focused on Damage Output and not 'Effective Health', so you may find that while your Prot set is currently better, unless you are wearing all crafteds / non-unique equip pieces, you will likely need two sets anyways.

3. If you are not 'tanking', the extra Stamina, etc at the cost of DPS will just require more heals on the MT (due to slower DPS'ing down)..

I'm not saying 'Not Possible' just trying to highlight the negative points to it..

Kerith
12-11-2008, 01:42 PM
Yeah one of my main concerns was my lower DPS compared to a true DPS spec. I was just wondering if perhaps anyone out there has ran dual tanks in heroics, or if I should just bite the bullet and respec for runs.

I was thinking maybe a Prot/Impale build would be more beneficial then my normal prot spec, then again this is just me thinking.

I'm currently sitting in mostly crafted tanking gear, and it probably wouldn't be too hard to get a fully crafted set of blue dps gear.

And yes I'm 80 to clarify.

kolben
12-11-2008, 02:03 PM
That works great with Druids, and not so great with Warriors. Sorry.

I'd recommend doing a DPS talent build, and carrying your tank gear including a shield in your bags. If your group finds they need the extra tank on a rough patch of mobs or whatever then you can step in.

You don't really need to be protection spec to offtank something like a heroic.

Stearns
12-11-2008, 03:48 PM
I think I understand why you want to do this; you want to run 10/25 man raids with the pally as an OT, and yet still run 5 mans with the pally without respeccing right?

Although its not the classic 5 man make up, I think it works fine The only time I've ever run a 5 man with 2 tanks is for pure novelty purposes. It totally ok; mainly its just a different model for the healer. You may as well keep collecting your dps set and wear it even if you're specced prot for the 5 mans. They're easy and if you raid too, you'll very quickly outgear them anyway.

Rhyseh
12-11-2008, 04:13 PM
IMO you should kick the pally and two other DPS and run with 4 Prot warriors and a resto shaman (I actually think this combo would be win, 4 shockwaves anyone?)!

But on the serious side:

As prot I quite often top the DPS meter's in PUG's so as a DPS spec prot isn't all that bad, however while not tanking this damage will be greatly hampered, not to mention your probably making the pally work harder than he would otherwise need to. Most of the time he may not mind this, however if he's anything like me he occasionally may like to kick his heels up and drink a cold one while tanking.

I guess what I would say is to just be mindful you'll be placing more pressure on your group. Also you may end up pissing some guild dpsers off by stealing their slot and not creating another 5 man.

Kerith
12-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Stearns pretty much hit the nail on the head. Me and the pally talked about it, and he said he didn't see a probelm with me going as prot. I just wanted to see what people thought about it.

I just don't want to be a heavy burden, yet if possible I would also like to stay Prot for farming as I'm still 2k shy of my epic flying mount.

Stubbi
12-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Really comes down to rage starvation. As long as you have rage, you output dps. When the Paladin does his AoE tankage, you'll be starving, waiting to get off a a single move.

If you want to dps, show up for dps. Unless you happen to be in a pure friend group, you are just annoying others in the pug who expected dps to show up and dps.

I'm a little baffled though, if you are prot why not just show up and tank instances yourself ... then you don't have to worry about fighting over gear with your friend.