PDA

View Full Version : Eye of Eternity Malygos

Pages : [1] 2

Ciderhelm
12-02-2008, 04:44 AM
This movie is available for direct download for Donors. Click here to learn more! (http://www.tankspot.com/premium.php)

xYqJ-8FiXCI

Lower Resolution (Low Bandwidth)
xYqJ-8FiXCI

25-Man Supplemental
nn18R0OPA8w

Raid Balance
1 tank, 3 healers is ideal. Note that we beat this timer with a full minute to spare -- this is with my off-tank in the raid as well as several brand new 80s. Beating this timer is 100% about the sparks, and while gear will help a lot, it's not enormously necessary. You do, however, want all of your raiders to have ~18k health minimum while fully buffed to handle vortex and varying amounts of raid damage.

Phase 1 Notes
When Malygos is landing, he doesn't seem to register threat/damage for the first few seconds. Burning long cooldowns such as Bloodrage and hitting him too early isn't necessarily good. Have your raid give you a couple seconds until he's clearly facing you.

Like several of the Blue dragons, Malygos has no tail or cleave attack to worry about. For this reason, you can move him without too much fear of hitting other raiders (though you still need to pay attention to his conal breath).

You have plenty of time to move him away from sparks and force the sparks to cross over the raid. This is why I move around the edge of the inner circle, which also prevents him from facing the raid for a breath. When there are two up (the one from before the vortex and after) and when they are coming from adjoining quarters, I triangulate Malygos' position so they're both forced to cross the center.

It is possbible for Malygos to be within reach of melee who're in the center spark field while still allowing Hunters to attack from within the spark. This will happen naturally so long as you use the outer edge, though if you have problems, cut the corners a bit tighter.

While Death Grip from Death Knights is a means of stacking spark fields and while this strategy will work for some guilds, it will not be a recommended strategy given that you're relying on one specific class and you're making an entire raid move instead of just the tank.

With that said, tanks who are not used to strafing, mouse movement, camera control, and effective keybinds need to step up their game. Fortunately this website is here to help with that. :p

Phase 3 Notes
This video isn't a stellar example of Phase 3, in part because I don't see combo points on my interface (in general I'm very unhappy w/ my interface atm, I need to work on several elements such as player frames, target frames, and buffs). However, you do see my successfully shielding from a Surge, which is by far the most critical part of Phase 3. Make sure everyone in your raid clearly understands how to use that ability.

totl
12-02-2008, 04:49 AM
Hope there's much about phase 3 hate it : |

Szader
12-02-2008, 05:22 AM
Not that Death Knights are bad. :D

Sure they are. In the words of that old southpark episode...
"Ey 'ook our 'obs!!!"

Ciderhelm
12-02-2008, 05:41 AM
Video should be finished encoding in HD soon. Enjoy!

Dhalphir
12-02-2008, 05:44 AM
What about the breath that he does?

Ciderhelm
12-02-2008, 05:45 AM
What about the breath that he does?
What about it? If it hits you, you need to be healed. Don't let it hit the raid. That's it. :)

Dhalphir
12-02-2008, 05:50 AM
Thats what I meant, I got a little confused about your not worrying about the raids positioning, but I guess the breath is pretty predictable

Dhalphir
12-02-2008, 05:51 AM
Also, the video appears to not be available.

edit: i fail at reading the OP

Ciderhelm
12-02-2008, 05:51 AM
Thats what I meant, I got a little confused about your not worrying about the raids positioning, but I guess the breath is pretty predictable
I intended to cite that as the reason I move him around the inner circle. After I responded, I went back and checked and saw that I didn't, so I made an edit to it. Thanks!

Dhalphir
12-02-2008, 05:58 AM
Did you have any trouble with holding threat without the damage buff while the DPS had it?

Ciderhelm
12-02-2008, 06:00 AM
Did you have any trouble with holding threat without the damage buff while the DPS had it?
None. The only place where aggro is tricky is in the first few seconds when he's landing at the beginning of the encounter -- he doesn't seem to register damage/threat for a few seconds, so burning Bloodrage and an ability too early caused issues.

Milbu
12-02-2008, 06:27 AM
This looks like its going to be lots of fun. It also looks like it is going to tax my PC...

As for movement whilst tanking, PvP skills have taught me a lot towards that. Your right mouse button is your friend.

A little help, though not sure how much it will be, if you ever find your self running out of fingers, and you are fast enough on the button mashing, you can use your W (walk) finger to hit a button if you jump, then quickly hit the button you want, then back on W key before you land. With this you continue to move with out stopping and you get your ability off.

Can't say I have used that whilst tanking, but in PvP I used that a lot.

If your fast enough with it you can even talk with out stopping (or hitting auto run), I can get off simple small words like yes and no.

totl
12-02-2008, 06:29 AM
Good tip for phase 2 if you're a warrior and got improved spellreflect, try to use it as much as posible, it's a great dps improvement when the disc guys takes 15k dmg and helping the healers also.

Gadolas
12-02-2008, 06:31 AM
Another tip for phase 3 is not to target malygos while falling through the air onto your drakes. We did this last night and for some people the shield would not work. You can target him as soon as you land on the drakes. It seems odd but it does work.

brain9h
12-02-2008, 06:47 AM
Some tips:

=> We initially learned the 3rd phase by asking everybody to just heal, ignoring DPS. Also, move far away from the boss and the phase starts. That allowed people to become aware of what the fight looks like and get aware on how to use the shield, instead of dying in 10 seconds because they are overwhelmed with new information.

=> Blizzard's default UI is great to heal, since GRID and similars won't work. Drag the groups from the raid panel to your preferred location and use that to heal. Also can be used to warn people that their energy is too low.

=> For the 3rd phase, 2 healers is enough if the raid stay stacked and people use their shields. Our first kill was actually with only 8 people alive, we lost 2 at the end of 2nd phase due to unlucky shield spawn positions. So, 6 DPS and 2 healers for the 3rd phase is fine if you get there with 3 minutes spare.

=> Remember that stacking the flame debuff called 'Engulf in Flames' is your main damage source. Get that stack as high as possible, but don't be fooled to think the best initial rotation is 1-2-1-2-1-2, too much usage of 2 (Engulf in Flames) at the start will let you energy starved and your stack will have short duration. A good way to start DPSing is with a big 5-point combo to give you a 22s stack, and then work on stacking it up fast: 1-2, 1-2, OR 112, 112, as much 2 as you can and your energy permits. Always save 25 energy for the shield. Don't be afraid to just wait for energy to build, remember your stack is slow and you can wait.

=> For healing, just around go clicking people in a round robin fashion and putting hots, if someone in particular needs more heal, stack more hots on him. Remember to always use your finishing move which heals all the raid (you're stacked, remember?) and gives a +50% heal buff, NEVER let it down.

Hope that helps, cheers
-- Norikk <Warfare> @ Gurubashi

Ciderhelm
12-02-2008, 06:55 AM
//edit: HD has finished encoding!

Aushcaus
12-02-2008, 07:00 AM
I haven't done this fight yet (guild still leveling) but the abilities you gain in ph3 when you get on the red drakes look exactly the same as the ones you get whilst doing the wyrmrest daily above nexus. I'm just guessing this, but if anyone in your guild wanted to familiarize themselves with using the abilities, make sure they have a go at this daily.
Think this is the quest: Aces High! - Quest - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?quest=13414)

Edit: awesome video guide, only thing more I want to see is the disc flying, but obviously thats hard to do from a tanks PoV.

Ciderhelm
12-02-2008, 07:08 AM
Edit: awesome video guide, only thing more I want to see is the disc flying, but obviously thats hard to do from a tanks PoV.
Tank can and should probably be jumping on. I wasn't sure how Imp Spell Reflect would respond to me being in the air, so I stayed w/ the healers.

hbombs
12-02-2008, 07:35 AM
is there any way to download these videos and put it on an ipod?

Ciderhelm
12-02-2008, 07:41 AM
is there any way to download these videos and put it on an ipod?
Not at the moment. I am saving these, though, and may upload them to downloadable locations in the future.

hbombs
12-02-2008, 07:41 AM
very cool. thanks. Im in a bad cycle of wanting to watch these at work (but cant) then when I get home I log on and play instead of watching.

Kazeyonoma
12-02-2008, 09:25 AM
from whatever testing I've done in PvP as prot, Imp Spell Reflect should reach any of your raid so long as they're within an "arena" sized ring around you. I've been able to protect people from on the bridge in Blade's Edge Arena while he was down below.

Man▀earpig
12-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Excellent vid Ciderhelm. Good thing you have such an awesome raid group.

Willftw
12-02-2008, 10:04 AM
Great video, this looks like a really fun fight. You noted that you had improved spell reflect in the video, did you spec into this just for the fight or do you usually take that talent? I'm still sitting at 79 and haven't finalized my spec but I wasn't planning on picking up this talent as it didn't seem very useful other then for pvp.

Mefear
12-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Yea imp spell reflect is verrrry nice tool to have on malygos. saves healer mana and can also save a random death since the adds can randomly focus someone down at times.

also I don't know why people keep thinking imp spell reflect is a pvp talent, you pretty much have to be melee range of your teammate which means you can't be on your target in pvp and also 4% spell miss is 4% spell miss, works on almost everything even sartharions breath which will save you a ton of damage and even save your life if your guild tries 3 drake sartharion.

Lightmgl
12-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Imp Spell Reflect and even just normal Spell Reflect are definitely awesome tools for Malygos. I think alot of warriors (including me) are turned off to imp spell reflect because there seems to be no rhyme or reason to what is reflectable. Obvious magic bolts are often not reflected (Take Gothik's Shadowbolts for example) whereas other things that you'd think shouldn't be reflected are such as Melt Armor or procs/debuffs from many creatures. If I knew for sure that in many fights I could reflect stuff off my group I would be much more inclined to take it.

We used the alternate strategy for phase 3 though where we didn't use flame shield at all and just clumped with dedicated healers moving out of the static charges. I think the lack of combo points showing properly in the UI was giving us alot of trouble but this method we blew him up pretty badly with a couple of us hitting 24 stacks of the dot. Both strats work, we found this one to be easier since the only ways you can die are if you are slow to move or get chain nuked 4+ times in a row by Malygos.

Malygo's damage is no joke though especially on 25 man. That stupid breath can hit for 20k + 20k crit explosion with a melee hit for 10-12k in the middle.

I hope fights go more the way of this in the future. This is a fun and unique encounter that everyone should get to try. The damage is really tough on the raid though I think they are nerfing whirl a bit because right now it is very hard without a priest or druid healer.

Zapp
12-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Interesting strat of moving malygos instead of the raid. I'm going to try it next time we 10 man him.

Just a warning to anyone who tries using this strat in 25 man though, he breaths every time he lands in this version. Vortex -> Landing -> Breath -> normal scripts. Every time. Even if he vortexes and you get him down past 50%.

Darkwanderer
12-03-2008, 02:16 AM
A tip for phase 3 with using the shield. The problem with the shield is that it requires combo points on the target you are targeting. But here's the thing, if you use the heal, you get a combo point on your dragon even though you do not target it. This is because there is an option in the game that makes you automatically cast the hot on yourself if you can not use it on the target. So you need to be aware that after you have used the heal(the hot(3)), you only have combo point on yourself(the dragon you ride, not your actual character that is untargetable) and not on the boss. So in that case you need to target the dragon and then press the shield. This is something that can wipe you a lot if you don't know this.

A tip for p1 for every member in the raid. You can choose what way you want to face when you land after a Vortex. If say you want to face south after the vortex, use your character move button, usually right mouse button, and face it south, pretend that you are in the middle already so you face the compass south of your current location in the air. This is an easy way to position yourself as a tank or as any other member in the raid.

juggernauth
12-03-2008, 03:39 AM
I might do a 25man video of him soon, if some people are interested in it.

swelt
12-03-2008, 03:48 AM
Are you doing this with a single tank and tanking both the Nexus lords? We tried this with 2 tanks, but the OT wasn't contributing much for the majority of the fight.

Ciderhelm
12-03-2008, 03:49 AM
Are you doing this with a single tank and tanking both the Nexus lords? We tried this with 2 tanks, but the OT wasn't contributing much for the majority of the fight.
Single tank. Since the Feral Druid off-tank happens to be wearing the same gear he needs for DPS, it made the most sense for him to go DPS for the encounter.

Lucientias
12-03-2008, 12:50 PM
You said "precipitously" low... were you perhaps looking for the word "precariously" low?

...yes, I realize my first post here is, in fact, nit picking someone's grammar, but that just stood out for me, and I thought perhaps I could help someone find the word they were ACTUALLY looking for.

hbombs
12-04-2008, 06:22 AM
We went into this fight very late last night after our first naxx clear. We didnt have time to look up to much strategy so we quickly watched this video. after one or two tries I was able to identify and kite malygos fine.

the problem we had was with raid healing during the vortex. you mention using instant abilities to dps.. does the same go for healers healing the raid? Can priest use CoH and can shamans cast chain heal or is everyone to spread out?

They seemed to be getting better at it as time went on. and we may just need practice but I was wondering if anyone had tips from a healing perspective during the early phases of the fight.

klor
12-04-2008, 06:35 AM
We went into this fight very late last night after our first naxx clear. We didnt have time to look up to much strategy so we quickly watched this video. after one or two tries I was able to identify and kite malygos fine.

the problem we had was with raid healing during the vortex. you mention using instant abilities to dps.. does the same go for healers healing the raid? Can priest use CoH and can shamans cast chain heal or is everyone to spread out?

They seemed to be getting better at it as time went on. and we may just need practice but I was wondering if anyone had tips from a healing perspective during the early phases of the fight.

When we did this last night, we used 2 resto druids and 1 COH priest. We had originally had a holy pally for main tank healing while letting the druids take care of raid healing, but the holy pally had to leave and the next attempt we got a coh priest which made the entire vortex part of the encounter a breeze. To be honest, i think a shaman would be the absolute worst healer to bring to this encounter. They cant help much during vortex, their ability to mobile heal is probably the worst out of all the healers, and they just dont offer anything besides totems to a raid. They would not be so bad for main tank healing, but imo kings was just better compared to totems. And yes, healers can cast instant cast heals during vortex. Thats why we were in love with our resto druids last night :)

Another thing I wanted to throw in. We were having issues in phase 3 when we relied on just one person to heal the entire raid. We found it very difficult (as a pug) to coordinate as a whole and stay out of the lightning orbs. We ended up using the every man for themselves tactic of healing. The only time it caused a problem was when malygoes hit the same person twice with ?surge? was it? It made it alot more managable as we spread out at max distance around Malygos.

Zapp
12-04-2008, 06:58 AM
I found out something about phase 2 and the bubbles. If you have improved spell reflect YOU CAN REFLECT THE BUBBBLES. My OT and I in the 25 man were spamming our imp shield reflect, and the bubbles got reflected. >.<

Ciderhelm
12-04-2008, 06:59 AM
I found out something about phase 2 and the bubbles. If you have improved spell reflect YOU CAN REFLECT THE BUBBBLES. My OT and I in the 25 man were spamming our imp shield reflect, and the bubbles got reflected. >.<
While I can't verify this, I wonder if this is the reason we got in that cramped bubble in the movie?

Lilie
12-04-2008, 07:26 AM
Hey all...

(I'm playing as a Holy Priest in Cider's raids)

As far as healing in the vortex goes...I find COH pretty meh for it. Sometimes it looks as I'm getting the 5 raid heals out of it and sometimes not any at all. Best healing strategy for me has been to make sure everyone is full going into it and throw Renew on the folks that have the lowest hitpoints in the raid. Then, after landing, make sure the tank is ok then heal the raid to full. Anyone with over 20k health won't have a problem making it through the vortex without healing (DKs and dps Warriors: switch to your defensive stances). Those in the 17.5-20k range will need some HOTs.

Also, for clarity, we've also got a resto in the raid doing pretty much the same thing with his hots. So..its not just mine that are keeping the raid up.

Zapp
12-04-2008, 11:20 AM
While I can't verify this, I wonder if this is the reason we got in that cramped bubble in the movie?

I must admit, I didn't watch the video past phase one the first time(though I did like the way you did that phase and used it thank you!). Rewatching it now though, you indeed did spell reflect a bubble at about 6:04->6:07 on the video. The bubble bolt graphic comes in, everyone gets knocked back, but the bubble is MIA and your reflect text goes off.

In fact you say "there it is" and then nothing. Heh. I think you mistook your old bubble for a new one because it was on top of it. The timing mechanics pretty much always assure that you SHOULD have 2 bubbles up at any time (3 when a new one hits and the old is fading). And if you look, there wasn't an overlapping bubble on you like there should've been when the new one came in.

mistabean
12-04-2008, 02:45 PM
I haven't done this fight yet (guild still leveling) but the abilities you gain in ph3 when you get on the red drakes look exactly the same as the ones you get whilst doing the wyrmrest daily above nexus. I'm just guessing this, but if anyone in your guild wanted to familiarize themselves with using the abilities, make sure they have a go at this daily.
Think this is the quest: Aces High! - Quest - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?quest=13414)

I would like... reemphasis? reiterate? re-whatever... the point that Auschaus had made. The drakes that you got in p3 are EXACTLY the same as the drake that was given to you in that quest. Even when you have already done the daily, if you feel like practicing, you can always talk to the quest giver and she will give you a drake to practice.

So, if you have a raidmember having problems managing their energy for Malygos' Surge of Power, this quest is your best bet to practice (and to keep a clear head when things happens), since your target also have it, but called Arcane Surge (basically, it will kill your drake if you don't have Flame Shield up).

ychro
12-04-2008, 10:33 PM
Can someone explain to me about how much time each phase should take? I got the kiting down and such we are using all the static fields and a Bloodlust and we are hitting phase 2 with about 6 mins left, we then enter phase 3 with about 3 mins left. Is this slow? The lowest we have gotten him is 20% at that point there are either too many people dead to make it work or he hits the enrage timer. All I know is Phase 3 frustrates me!

klor
12-04-2008, 10:57 PM
I dont know what our time was for entering phase 2, but we entered phase 3 with a little over 3 minutes. Like 3:15 or something close to that and we lost a person or two in the beginning of phase 3 and ended up downing him being 30 seconds into the enrage timer. You should be fine if you keep your people alive.

Regill
12-05-2008, 11:29 AM
For Malygos 25, I'm curious what type of tank other guilds are using. I'm a prot warrior, and for this encounter, I've been forced to use a feral druid tank instead. The feral's health is considerably higher than mine (35 vs 44), which smooths out the very dangerous vortex landing phase, which was 2-3 shotting me. Even the druid gets in trouble on that landing.

Is Vortex, land, melee, breath just something the healers need to learn to deal with or is there something I'm missing?

Norek
12-05-2008, 12:52 PM
We used a Warrior tank for all of our 25man kills so far, I'm not sure if its just bad luck on your end to be getting melee/breath right after landing or not (honestly havent payed attention to that part) but I dont think I remember us ever dying to that yet, so I imagin its either luck or your healers just need to keep you full and sending heals at you once they drop.

As for Ciderhelm, really nice video IMO, the kiting him around thing looked really effective, a tank that can move around and still do his thing is a good tank in my books! (its like hunters, anyone can play them.... only so many can do a good job at it) grats on the kill =D

and ROFL @ fact blizzard made the freaking bubble reflectable.......

ifixedme3
12-05-2008, 06:53 PM
can the arcane breath or whatever its called be spell reflected?

Exia
12-05-2008, 07:12 PM
For Malygos 25, I'm curious what type of tank other guilds are using. I'm a prot warrior, and for this encounter, I've been forced to use a feral druid tank instead. The feral's health is considerably higher than mine (35 vs 44), which smooths out the very dangerous vortex landing phase, which was 2-3 shotting me. Even the druid gets in trouble on that landing.

Is Vortex, land, melee, breath just something the healers need to learn to deal with or is there something I'm missing?

My guild uses myself (Paladin) to tank Malygos (and most of naxx).

I did initially have a bit of issues on the Vortex->land->breath->melee combo as well. But once our healers figured how much healing is needed and have all their hots on me, we've not had any problems with tank death.

For reference, I have 28k HP unbuffed (not sure what my raid buffed HP is off the top of my head.)

Hugoposh888
12-05-2008, 11:09 PM
Thanks Alot , Ciderhelm.

For posting a very nice video of the Malygos encounter.

we managed to get him down on our 2nd try doing your way of handling the Sparks.Stacking em all together in the middle of the room.and we got to Phase 3 with like 3 mins to spare and even tho some of our raiders failed on putting up the Shield thing we stilled managed to kill em.

Ciderhelm
12-06-2008, 08:21 AM
Added a note on the breath after vortex for 25-man (embedded in movie) and added a low-res version.

Zapp
12-06-2008, 05:19 PM

Vortex -> land -> breath is the script. He can get a melee hit in there. They need to learn to top you off right away. I did it fine with 38k HP the first kill. Phase 1 was never a problem.

Edit: I went back and remembered that I had about 38k for the heroic maly. Sorry, 10 man and 25 are confusing me. You need 38kish to survive his burst.

Darkwanderer
12-06-2008, 05:41 PM
I'm a Prot warrior myself, one of 2 MT's. We use a feral druid on Malygos because it is much safer. His high hp make it easier for him to survive the hard hits and the breaths combined. He has about 8-10k more hp than me, me being at 35k, he at 45k... Added that he has more reliable mitigation it's pretty clear. Feral druids seem to be pretty much better in tanking evertyhing atm. More tps, more mitigation and a lot more hp. For everything else a warrior is no problem at all, same goes for a paladin.

What we did this week was root the power sparks. Wait till you get 2 and then when the third one comes kill all 3. You will get 3 stacks for the full duration instead of 1 or 2 max. By the time you get the third spark you should get into phase 3 before you get spark number 5. And you can nuke him down to about 35-40% easily like that. We tried rooting 4 and killing them at 5 sparks but it was too risky with roots breaking during Vortex and messing it all up. You can't really speed up phase 2, but you can make phase 1 go a lot faster and get him lower than 50% during his p1->p2 speech.

simuthwyl
12-07-2008, 05:02 AM
i'm a priest, the other two healers in my raid are pally and shammy, so during the vortex i'm the only healer spamming coh but it's not enough to keep up the raid

what should we do about it?

Ciderhelm
12-07-2008, 05:06 AM
i'm a priest, the other two healers in my raid are pally and shammy, so during the vortex i'm the only healer spamming coh but it's not enough to keep up the raid

Lilie posted about that above. CoH has issues actually hitting targets during Vortex, so it's difficult to deal with. That's the same balance we had (switch the Shaman with a Resto Druid).

Make sure your raiders have all available health buffs. In addition to your Fortitude, make sure they have Blessing of Kings, Commanding Shout (or Warlock Imp), etc., and a food buff. This encounter is just frustrating until everyone focuses on their own health bars.

MonkH
12-07-2008, 01:00 PM

if ur not using a pally tank ur holy pala can spam Sacred Shield on ppl in raid will help will use alot of mana but better than ppl dying

Rondoudou
12-07-2008, 09:28 PM
My guild had our first night of attempts on Malygos 10 tonight and I'm very pleased with the level of difficulty on him.

While I was getting used to moving him around though, I was encountering some strangeness on Malygos' actions. Occasionally when he decided to drop an arcane bolt on someone in the raid he would immediately breath along with of it, wiping us immediately. I also had occasions where he would just turn round and melee someone else for no apparent reason (I'm *fairly* certain threat wasn't an issue). I was confused about why it was happening, but he appeared to stop doing it when I moved him in a tighter circle around the raid but it could just have been someone snuck ahead of me in threat with no real indication besides their deaths.

Is there anything the raid can be doing in phase two to help mitigate bolt damage? Our healers seem to be having a hard time primarily keeping themselves alive, especially at the beginning of the phase. If all the scions decide to bolt the same person at the same time it does a fairly huge amount of damage and, being a paladin, imp spell reflect isn't really an option. I have a feeling it may just be a case of our healer's health being too low, but they're sitting at around 20k buffed.

Ciderhelm
12-08-2008, 01:24 AM
My guild had our first night of attempts on Malygos 10 tonight and I'm very pleased with the level of difficulty on him.

While I was getting used to moving him around though, I was encountering some strangeness on Malygos' actions. Occasionally when he decided to drop an arcane bolt on someone in the raid he would immediately breath along with of it, wiping us immediately. I also had occasions where he would just turn round and melee someone else for no apparent reason (I'm *fairly* certain threat wasn't an issue). I was confused about why it was happening, but he appeared to stop doing it when I moved him in a tighter circle around the raid but it could just have been someone snuck ahead of me in threat with no real indication besides their deaths.

Is there anything the raid can be doing in phase two to help mitigate bolt damage? Our healers seem to be having a hard time primarily keeping themselves alive, especially at the beginning of the phase. If all the scions decide to bolt the same person at the same time it does a fairly huge amount of damage and, being a paladin, imp spell reflect isn't really an option. I have a feeling it may just be a case of our healer's health being too low, but they're sitting at around 20k buffed.
Like Vaelastrasz and other dragons, this should not actually be happening. When he faces to turn the other way it's considered instant (even though the animation stays), and a breath should still hit the tank. You'll see in my video this happens too.

Watch to make sure people aren't getting ahead on Threat, which is entirely possible in this encounter due to the stacked sparks.

Per bolt damage, it can be difficult to deal with, particularly when you don't have many healers to work with. There is a lot of raid damage you're dealing w/ throughout the encounter. :(

Art
12-08-2008, 06:10 AM
I noticed that the scions can hit for about 17.5k if you're not in a bubble. For this reason, I generally save my spell reflect for when the raid has to move from one anti-magic zone to another.

Bawobogo
12-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Using a DK tank (me) works well. We've done 25mans first the first time 3 days ago and we had no trouble during phase 1 with a DK tank. Unholy specced with 39.3k hp buffed and 100% up time on BoneShield/IceboundFortitude makes that breath damage very very weak.

jose
12-08-2008, 04:55 PM
i really like teh way u explain stuff make it fel so easy :) thanks for all the awesems videos

Rondoudou
12-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Like Vaelastrasz and other dragons, this should not actually be happening. When he faces to turn the other way it's considered instant (even though the animation stays), and a breath should still hit the tank. You'll see in my video this happens too.

Watch to make sure people aren't getting ahead on Threat, which is entirely possible in this encounter due to the stacked sparks.

Per bolt damage, it can be difficult to deal with, particularly when you don't have many healers to work with. There is a lot of raid damage you're dealing w/ throughout the encounter. :(

Wrath is my first real foray into tanking, but I know what you mean about the breath animation being misleading. I have a feeling someone must be sneaking ahead of me on threat, catching me by surprise. The issue disappeared once I got the hang of what I was meant to be doing in Phase 1, so I'm growing more certain that it wasn't anything I was doing with Malygos but rather that I was paying too much attention to him and not enough to the basics of my rotation. The affliction lock in our raid is the bane of my existence in this phase, his threat generation once he gets all his dots up is pretty insane.

Regarding bolts, I had a feeling that was the case. We just need to work on the push at the beginning of the second phase, as if something's going to wrong in this phase it generally will be right at the beginning when all six NPCs are still alive.

Going to ninja edit a thank you in here too, your videos are crystal clear and your explanations (especially on Malygos) really help!

Brainwreck
12-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Had our first try on Malygos tonight, all went well except for P3. We had a lot of trouble getting the flame shield to work properly, as it seemed pretty hit or miss with its functionality. Does anyone know what exactly is the deal with this bug?

Elyvern
12-08-2008, 10:34 PM
I found that at certain positions, I was able to still hit malygos in p1 during vortex, (ie. I was doing the spinning thing, but my character was somehow still in melee range). It seems that Malygos remains at the center and if everyone moves to the center prior to vortex, there shouldn't be too much healing issue?

Also, I'm like you Cider, I can't see combo points in p3. All the raiders in my guild that uses x-perl or perl unitframes can't see them despite having combo points enabled. Since we emphasise on stacking engulf as fast as possible, we just mentally count 1, 1, 2, 1, 1, 2. I can see if we're stacking 5 "1"s, it might become problematic.

Prunetracy
12-08-2008, 11:43 PM
Had our first try on Malygos tonight, all went well except for P3. We had a lot of trouble getting the flame shield to work properly, as it seemed pretty hit or miss with its functionality. Does anyone know what exactly is the deal with this bug?
The rumor is that flame shield will not fire if you have malygos targetted during the phase 2 -> phase 3 transition. Just don't target him until you're on your drake and it should work fine.

The other check is to make sure people have combo points before they try to flame shield.

Serelynn
12-11-2008, 07:04 AM
This video was extremely useful and easy to follow for our guild's first foray into Malygos 10.

We had problems relying upon Death Knights to use Death Grip, half the time they would mis-target and taunt the boss. In the end, after watching the video, I was able to move Malygos around the circle and stack every spark in the center - our Fury Warrior was breaking 10k DPS. After a couple of practice runs on Phase 3, we dropped Malygos and the shield dropped. :)

hbombs
12-11-2008, 07:18 AM
This guide was extremely helpful for me and my 10 man team.

Key notes if you are really having trouble with this boss (not saying anything new here)

1 - RESTO DRUID you wont even come close to losing anyone in a vortex I promise. we had 3 people with a max hp of 17500 and it was fine.

2 - In phase 3 dedicate 2 healers (who know what the hell they are doing, keep AOE heal up) everyone else simply hits 1 1 1 1 1 5 1 1 1 1 5 while saving enough energy for shield. If they dont shield when targeted well they simply stink :) the whole raid just sort of shifts around to the right sticking together.

3 - Imp spell reflect... idk how important it is but well after many many wipes we downed him the first try after I respecced into this lol.

sprockets
12-13-2008, 07:59 AM
In your video I notice you just strafe without facing him, this is the first time ive tanked (wotlk) and im curious if that is what is intended I strafe but im always trying to face him to dodge or parry, should I just be trying my best to strafe him but not worrying about the incoming damage as much until I get to my location?

We are making it to phase 1 but failing by 30 seconds and in my mind its my fault for not positioning maly right for sparks so dps can truly do its job?

Ciderhelm
12-13-2008, 09:59 AM
The ideal for strafing is facing 89 degrees away from him. In other words, just short of a right angle. If I look like I'm facing away from him, it's because I'm using hard mouse control at the same time I'm strafing -- but I'm still at a safe angle, which is why I'm able to continue to use abilities.

Rondoudou
12-13-2008, 01:08 PM
Thought I'd come back and report that my raid dropped him nice and clean on our second night after a few attempts on phase 3 waiting for people to get used to their dragon.

For those out there like me that have just starting tanking since WotLK came out, moving in phase 1 is a total headache until you get settled into it and breath animations on your raid will terrify you over and over again. I still cringe when the vortex sparks spawn at directly opposite sides of the room, but phase 1 is definitely the most fun I've had tanking in Wrath so far.

sprockets
12-14-2008, 02:01 AM
Hmm well we downed him tonight with about a minute and a half to spare with 2 healers a paladin and a druid so i think we did pretty good.

However Im still not able to do what you do in terms of strafing is there anywhere i can practice this?

Emidan
12-14-2008, 08:45 PM
You can practice strafing on any mob in the game, really. The default keys that come with the game are "q" and "e", for walking sideways. I use these along with my mouse to strafe when tanking bosses. Takes some practice, but once you get it down it's much faster moving bosses than backpedaling :)

suadero
12-14-2008, 08:59 PM
Great vid with lots of info. I tanked our first night of 25 EoE last night and we downed him after about 2.5 hours of tries thanks to what we gleamed from here.

Cider, you're the best!

bludwork
12-16-2008, 07:16 AM
just a tip but if you are a warrior having difficulty surviving the encounter, use Glyph of Last Stand - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=43426)

Last stand the first breath after vortex
shield wall the second breath after vortex
last stand the third breath after vortex

If you need more than 3 vortexes your phase1 raid dps is too low. Blessing of santuary is a huge help this fight too if you can afford it.

Zartanchi
12-16-2008, 08:47 AM
I wanted to thank you for posting this excellant quality and detailed video. We just started this fight and were having issues with the 1st phase and dealing with the sparks. Your video made it seem a ton easier than it was last night and hopefully after another review of it we can make it that. We we also having issues with 2 sparks at a time, 1 would pop and kinda sit there then he'd vortex and pop another one closely after we'd fall and reposition to get the 1st one so by the time we had the 1st one dealt with the 2nd one was a frantic deal. I didn't notice this at all in your video, it seemed clean and you never seemed to deal with two at a time.

Anyway, hat's off to you for taking the time to do this.

CombatJack
12-16-2008, 08:56 AM
Not sure if this has been stated but there is a wyrmrest daily quest that has you fly a dragon. This dragon has the exact same abilities as the dragon in eye of eternity. It's great practice.

Aces High! - Quest - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?quest=13414)

The quest is located near the top of the nexus.

Roarc
12-16-2008, 04:42 PM
Just a quick note for something that was bugging the hell out of us facing Malygos this Sunday.

Do not, I repeat, do NOT allow classes that can "cheat" the vortex to do so (rogues and locks as far as I'm concerned). After numerous random deaths in phase 1 and phase 2 doing a parse of the combat log we saw a lot of people being hit by <No Target> Arcane Breath <Player in raid> 20K or more (instant death basically). After we said DO NOT do the above - we killed him for the first time after 2-3 tries and we didn't have this random damage.

As stated in the video it's quite tricky to deal with the arcane breath up-on landing after a Vortex in 25 man. We use the same tactic as mentioned in the 25 man video, yet we ping where to NOT go (where the tank is heading). Same thing just the oposite. The key is 100% communication and that the players run the OPOSITE side of the tank. They don't strafe, they don't stand still, they don't look for the shiny sparkles on the ground - they run the oposite direction of the tank until the breath is over.

Last the threat issues will be somewhat part of this fight if you don't deal with it. Use your vigilance, use your intervenes, use your hands of salvation - and you should be fine (given we had a dps warrior doing 13K TPS when popping all CD's while bloodlust was up…).

Other things to consider is having other classes but the MT to help out with debuffs - off-tank or another warrior can keep most if not all of the things up. You as the MT can also refresh debuffs and buffs while in the vortex with out losing threat on the boss.

That's a bit about that. Zzzz-time for this orc :)

Regards
Thugs

Ciderhelm
12-17-2008, 09:54 AM
just a tip but if you are a warrior having difficulty surviving the encounter, use Glyph of Last Stand - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=43426)

Last stand the first breath after vortex
shield wall the second breath after vortex
last stand the third breath after vortex

If you need more than 3 vortexes your phase1 raid dps is too low. Blessing of santuary is a huge help this fight too if you can afford it.
What a good suggestion. I reglyphed based on this. :)

Ariedan
12-18-2008, 01:31 PM
Thank you for posting this video and providing a very viable and alternate strategy, Cider. My guild tried this Tuesday, and despite cleanly and consistently getting to phase three, we were still hitting the enrage timer. The confusing part for us was it wasn't a lack of dps, as every dps was doing at least 2.5-3k. Having them in the middle made it easy to stack with the sparks, and also meant I was less bored. :P

We tried this strategy last night, and he went down without a fight.

littleboots
12-20-2008, 03:11 PM
Your not serious with the stupid 25 man note in the 10 man version??? It covers the left have of the movie.. I cant see the sparks u are trying to show me on that side?? Leave the notes for the written section and the 25 man info fro 25 man video..I am trying to see what u r talking about but u have that god dang note up for the first couple of minutes........

WTB Slaplen in Wrath:(

Tortured-x
12-20-2008, 03:26 PM
nice work

looks like a really interesting fight.

i've also heard that the "Aces High" quest in coldarra was either made for or can be used for practice on the 3rd phase

Ciderhelm
12-20-2008, 03:32 PM
Your not serious with the stupid 25 man note in the 10 man version??? It covers the left have of the movie.. I cant see the sparks u are trying to show me on that side?? Leave the notes for the written section and the 25 man info fro 25 man video..I am trying to see what u r talking about but u have that god dang note up for the first couple of minutes........

WTB Slaplen in Wrath:(
I'd suggest you turn annotations off. It's a lot faster than making this post.

Triank
12-20-2008, 10:15 PM
Great videos Cider very informative. I have a quick question for you folks. I have used the DK death grip strat in 10 mans for pulling sparks to the center for stacking and it works very effectively. However we are getting our first night of good attempts on Maly tomorrow night and sadly we only have one raiding DK for varios reasons.

So my question is this with the absence of DK's in a raid I find myself looking at the options of tanking him in the center of the platform and breaking the raid up into 3 groups placing them at 3 locations except behind the location of where I am tanking. Thus each group will be responsible for killing sparks that spawn at them and they get that buff.

Given that we only have a couple attempts the other night on 25 man maly im not sure how this will pan out in the grand scheme of enrage timers and what not.

With out a DK and death grip isnt kiting a pretty bad strat. Or would people advise to just have the raid move to the spots when needed. I personally lean towards static spots for people less moving more dps from people with or with out the spark buff. Im sure we will figure it out tomorrow night just thought I would pick your brains ahead of time.

Thanks in advance.

Ciderhelm
12-20-2008, 10:26 PM
Triank I think you're misunderstanding the movement strategy we're using -- it's specifically so we don't rely on Death Knights. By moving Malygos, you can guarantee that sparks always go over the center and don't need to be death gripped. Having Death Knights makes it easier but is not required.

Triank
12-20-2008, 10:42 PM
Interesting ... perhaps i need to fine tune my movement. When I was doing 10 man maly with out a DK we were having problems with the sparks. It would seem the spawn rate of the sparks was faster because I would have a spark spawn on one side I would move him so it would path over the center but then one would spawn on the side I was on and I would be dodging 2 sparks and it would not path over the center area so to speak.

Perhaps dps was not killing them fast enough im not sure. Or waiting to long for what would be considered center. I guess we will find out tomorrow.

If im not mistaken you have a DK in your 10 man video and several in your 25 man video. Do you happen to have a video with out a DK or are your DK's not death gripping?

Qieth
12-22-2008, 01:43 AM
We had our first go at Malygos yesterday, but unfortunately only for an hour, since a healer had to leave. We only had two healers yesterday, and while it was initially taxing, it seems like thye were confident that they could keep up with the damage in the end.

One major problem for us, however, was what wiped us at 51%. Malygos turns around to do the Arcane Storm, and we got some 3 people dead instantly because he apparently did Arcane Breath as he was turned.

This is obviously a huge problem for us, and its not the first time ive seen a boss use two abilities right on each other. The issue is just that it gimps us immediately if he looks at the raid when it happens.

Is there any way we can avoid that?

Triank
12-22-2008, 07:58 AM
We had our first session on 25 man maly lastnight. We had no death knights and really fined tuned phase one to be very effective. We were running into problems in phase 3 sadly and just quite couldnt get him down.

We were having problems being able to see the blue static field. I have a pretty high end computer and wasnt able to see it along with most of the raid. Not sure if it was a bug but once you died you pan you camera and see it. Is it normal for DBM to not track static field also?

We have a few tweaks to make in phase 3 and he should drop for us this week. Once we have our strat nailed down from start to finish I will post it for those who dont have a wealth of deathknights.

renrider
12-22-2008, 08:07 AM
We had our first go at Malygos yesterday, but unfortunately only for an hour, since a healer had to leave. We only had two healers yesterday, and while it was initially taxing, it seems like thye were confident that they could keep up with the damage in the end.

One major problem for us, however, was what wiped us at 51%. Malygos turns around to do the Arcane Storm, and we got some 3 people dead instantly because he apparently did Arcane Breath as he was turned.

This is obviously a huge problem for us, and its not the first time ive seen a boss use two abilities right on each other. The issue is just that it gimps us immediately if he looks at the raid when it happens.

Is there any way we can avoid that?

Happened in our 25 - apparently its a known bug.

dyls
12-22-2008, 05:39 PM
We had our first session on 25 man maly lastnight. We had no death knights and really fined tuned phase one to be very effective.

Goodness...how do you have no DKs...I run a 10 man group and we have at least 2 - 3 every raid (and with the DPS those guys do - I'm not complaining!) :D

Jackripster
12-22-2008, 05:45 PM
You can practice strafing on any mob in the game, really. The default keys that come with the game are "q" and "e", for walking sideways. I use these along with my mouse to strafe when tanking bosses. Takes some practice, but once you get it down it's much faster moving bosses than backpedaling :)

Agreed, you really need to strafe to move him fast enough. I have this bound to my mouse scroll wheel (side to side).

We had a few cracks at him last night, got to phase 3. The sparks coming from opposite sides at the same time are a pain, we had ranged take one out while i sweated on the shield wall just in case. The Vids were a great help, thanks, im sure we'll down him next time with the help of a few tips in this thread.

Vheras
12-23-2008, 02:28 PM
What's the health requirement for normal EoE? Is it the same?

Pesko
12-24-2008, 01:29 AM
this is with my off-tank in the raid as well as several brand new 80s.Your guild is preatty cool, i watched the video like 5 times to get every little detail. Saw in the movie, when 3rd phase starts the lowest DPS is 1785 from your warlock and 3195 from your hunter. (sparks from p1 ofc)

In my guild we got alot melee, do you have any trick for melee guilds? We cleared naxx on our third week of raiding.

We Tryed maly and wiped badly on the enrage timer and only 2 had a dps on 2k when 2rd phase started (DK and shadow priest)

Ariedan
12-24-2008, 12:24 PM
We run with three melee, two ranged. Not really sure if that makes us particularly melee-heavy, but including myself that doubles our amount of ranged. Anyhow, we had no issues that were related to group composition, excluding specific healers (CoH priest and resto druid, yum!).

idt
12-27-2008, 09:48 PM
ok so my guild has just started on malygos and we're wiping pretty bad during the encounter. i just have a few questions:

1. from the video it looks like your dps is always in the same spot for the vortex. also in addition to that it seems that you guys hardly move malygos as well. what do you guys actually do in terms of positioning

2. we're going into phase 2 at about 5 mins into the enrage timer which is too late isnt it? how many vortexes should we be stacking? at least 2 most of the time?

any constructive comments are appreciated :D

Zedez
12-30-2008, 12:44 AM
We have tried Malygos(10) twice, first raid we wiped 16 times before calling it - got him to phase three once in that period. Second time we tried around 10 times got him to phase three around 6 times.

I'm a warrior tank 4/5 T7 fully epic other than ring, cape and trinket but our demo/destro lock managed to pull aggro off of me when he had the 100% damage buff, right now we're trying the method of me tanking him in the north between the two spark spawns - one team on the left of me to take a spark, other team on the right and it can be hard for them sometimes to see the sparks and get them down before they reach Malygos.

Next time I think I'll try your method of moving him around the inner circle kiting the sparks into the middle for the dps to stack the buff and beat the enrage timer but I'm worried about people pulling aggro off of me, is anyone else having aggro issues with DPS having a 100% damage increase?!

meowmeow
12-30-2008, 08:53 PM
My guild Tried this for the first time today, we took 3 healers, 1 tank and 6 DPS. We have fully completed naxx 10 man and we found this fight very hard. first of all we go him down to 5 mill before our tank got smashed by the breth. We have a Shammy, Paladin and a resto Driud as our 3 healers (is this a good set?). is there anyway we can stop our tank getting Smooshed at about this point since he is fully epic and has 4 peice of T7. the healers are ok geared also, fully Epic.

Is this fight more about Getting the boss to 50% as fast as Pos OR is it about servival? Like timing it right. I dont no what to do about the Sparks either, since they come form exactly in front and behind the boss. Maybe thats a bug? our Tank is also having problems seeing the Sparks. Is there anyway it can be made easier to see when and were the next spark is coming.

Thanks for reading.

nokamora
01-02-2009, 02:09 PM
what do hunter's do when malygos is to close 2 them and the tank wont move malygos its hard to get the buffs? and can we slow them with traps?

tranquillex
01-04-2009, 02:54 AM
Nice vid, well expained. You guys are pretty much our point of reference for strats when we're clearning new content.

Our guild will be hitting malygos this time tomorrow night.

3 healers (druid priest pally)

Pally MT, DK OT(if necesary, if not he joins the dps lineup.)

and we are likely to have 2 other DK's in our dps lineup totalling 3 DK's in the raid(10man) so i think we'll have a crack at death grip cycles to pull the sparks where we want them.

We will be using 2 healers dedicated to phase 3, possibly another drake helping support with raid hots if that gets ugly (which it shouldnt from what ive wathed and read so far).

A quick queston about HP reqirements, is 18k absolutey necessary? We have decent aoe heals and instant hots galore. I also see mention of his arcane breath ability being buggy at times, like sudden turns to the raid despite he tanks threat levels etc.

If anyone has any input on these 2 queries that would be great, ty guys.

Tranquillex - Unemployed / Alliance dreadmaul.

Abidahn
01-04-2009, 10:53 AM
Hey all--I'm hearing a lot of the same issues through the entire 5 pages of questions and heartache so I thought I'd at least try to add my 2c and hope it helps!

Group set-up:

1 Warrior Tank in T7/couple 25man pieces.
1 Pali Healer
1 Drood Healer
1 Shammy Healer
1 Rogue
1 Melee Shaman
1 Boomkin
1 kitty
1 fury warrior
1 Shadow Priest

First and foremost, 18k HP *Edit: fully buffed* is without a doubt required for your raid. Someone without 18k HP that doesn't receive a heal during a vortex is a guaranteed death.

Secondly, all this talk about "we can't beat the enrage timer", "the DPS is pulling agro on me", and "the Arcane Breath is hitting our raid" are all on the tank imo. That being said, without vigilance on my fury warrior, he pulled Ag on me once, the pali bubbled him, and we moved on with life.

Beating the enrage timer is completely based on your DPS being able to stack on top of each other, in the spark remains. Which means your tank has to *perfectly* kite Malygos from them.

The most clear way I can describe the positioning is continually make a line between Malygos' tail, the raid, and the closest spark. If you do that, and the DPS kills the add when it gets to them, you will win phase 1.

Phase 2 is pretty obvious...move between domes, kill the adds and you win.

Phase 3-we grouped and moved every 3 to 4 seconds to the right as Cyder said. We died miserably until we did that heh. Our rotation was:
1 1 2
1 1 1 2
/repeat
When he looks at you (and it says it all over your screen) make sure you have a single DOT on the boss (1) and pop #5 (shield).

Random notes:

-HOT and top everyone off just before you get up in the vortex.
-You can use melee dmg (sometimes) to still DPS while in vortex.
-You can use instant casts while in Vortex.
-When platforms get picked up, use your highest to lowest DPS in that order.

I really can't think of anything else. I'm not that good at tanking, I just hit buttons and we downed him first night after 7 attempts >.> 3 of which were my fault kiting, and 2 of which were my fault hitting sprint instead of shield so, he's doable. Just be on the ball, know your job and execute the Cyder vid!

Props again to you and your team Cyder, we'd be stuck without you.

Abi~

Pringer
01-04-2009, 06:25 PM
I notice from the previous few posts that some tanks are experiencing threat problems especially when the sparks are stacked. I personally have been experiencing the same thing from the aff warlock in the raid, I find it helps to get a paladin to macro hand of salvation on high threat members, or even casting them before a vortex. This helped my tanking plenty and ensured none of my raid members died in the first phase.

Joacimcans
01-05-2009, 12:08 AM
Rarely do i have threat problems on malygos but occasionally our arms warrior likes to creep up really close to me when he gets a 2 stack of the arcane buff but most of the time a quick intervene as vortex is happening fixes that. So if your a warrior just wait for malygos to fly up then intervene your target with high threat. If your are a paladin you can hand of salv a high threat person. Or if you say have an extra warrior in the raid either an OT or a DPS just have to take about 3 seconds of dps down time and intervene someone with it being only a 30 second CD it is a pretty handy threat reducer.

Qieth
01-05-2009, 12:40 AM
We got Malygos down on friday (yay us), and much of the credit goes to TankSpot. I'd like to share with you my experiences from the fight (from a druid tank perspective).

This fight is all about damage. Sure, there are some healing issues (especially during the vortexes) but the main issue on the fight is doing damage, and a lot of it.

Your damage comes from two things:

DPS team who is obviously geared to dish out a lot of hurt
Managing the sparks so they land *correctly*

On some fights, where we would litterally wipe on 0,2%, i kept thinking back to where that spark died too soon, and wasn't available to the DPS'ers. It is really paramount that your ranged are able to drop them correctly.

Once you have the sparks down in a good position, your tank can kite Malygos close to the sparks so the melee has the buff aswell. He doesn't get the buff from the sparks if they are on the ground. Two groups on either side, as proposed above, is not going to work - you're going to lose a lot of damage because only half your raid has sparks on them. With good spark handling, Malygos should get down to 50% fairly quickly.

Phase two is all about burning down the two Nexus Lords so melee has some discs to play with. Mark one with a skull, and have people blow off some cooldowns - its not like they are going to need it anymore after this. If you have excess discs, just have a ranged go up on one aswell (after melee). They might be out of range below, but if they are floating, they can add a bit more heat to the casters.

Phase three is a real kicker - when we finally got him down, we got to phase 3 abou 2-2,5 minutes before the enrage. At first we tried with three healers, then with two, and then we realised that as long as people could follow each other around Malygos, one healer would be more than enough.

A tip for phase three, that i read somewhere, is simply to have people heal themselves for a full fight. You wont kill him, but people can get the general idea of their abilities and the movement of the phase. It worked great for us :)

Qieth
01-05-2009, 12:44 AM
Oi, on the whole threat question, i did notice a thing or two about it. As i said above, im a bear tank, and i initially decided that i would simply tank Malygos. After we realised that we were fighting an enrage timer, i bit the dust and had our prot warrior tank him, so i would just go kitty.

I noticed when i was tanking him that i had plenty of threat, and that the warrior, once he did it, was close to losing aggro. I dont know if he is at a loss in this particular fight, or if its just because i have cooldowns (Berserk) to throw at the boss, but he was really struggling with threat, and i havent seen that in a few months :P

kpxneophyte
01-05-2009, 04:35 PM
To those who notice that they cannot use flame shield or sees it end prematurely...

Flame shield uses combo points as well. Be sure to have at least 3-4 combo points before you use Flame shield.

Additionally, using an attack or a heal cancels flame shield while you are under the effects of it. So be sure not to cast when you have flame shield up.

Edit: This is from doing the quest Aces High! - Quest - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?quest=13414). If it's anything like phase 3, then all rules should apply.

Angro
01-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Going Malygos tonight :) Scared of phase 3 cuz I hate oculus fight ;/

Ulalume
01-06-2009, 07:14 AM
If you are a DK:
When you are summoned into the Vortex in phase one Anti Magic Shell will protect you from ALL damage. Thus pop it when in the vortex and you will save your healers some mana. ;)

loquatious
01-06-2009, 07:49 AM
Has anyone used the Bosskillers strat for phase 3?

5 Groups of drakes 1 healer per group - spread around malygos in a circle.

Roknroll
01-07-2009, 11:47 AM
We used this Phase 1 strategy the other night and it is amazing how fast you can get through it. Here's a key points we found:

1. for proper positioning, malygos should have all 4 feet inside the circle on the ground
2. the tank has to be super on top of watching for sparks, and move malygos to the opposite side of the circle from where they are coming
3. strafing right on the edge of the inner circle keeps malygos positioned perfectly
4. after vortex, the raid can't stand in the center or they'll get breathed. call out the location of the next spark and have everyone run that way. after the tank has malygos, then run back to the dead center of the platform.

In 25-man, we got through Phase 1 with over 7 minutes left when we did it this way.

Spaceoddity
01-09-2009, 10:33 AM
I realise this isn't directly regarding the Malygos strat.

Cider, do you use the default camera at the furthest view distance or did you enter a line of command so that the camera can back up even more?

I'm asking this because my tank complains he has the most difficult time seeing where the sparks come from while trying this technique in phase 1.

The Juggernautt
01-09-2009, 01:09 PM
You edit camera view without commands, go to your user interface and change Camera settings.

Angro
01-11-2009, 04:54 AM
We tried him - wiped terribly ;p didn't do phase 1 :( We cleared naxx twice i think our gear is ok for this but we had trouble in stacking sparks ontop of eachother. Warr tank with 33k HP buffed (23% Dodge 17% Parry 28% Block) was also sometimes dying despite 2 paly healers with 2kSP ;/ we also had resto drood with 1.6SP for group. Players that are doing sometimes over 3kDPS in naxx went down to 1.6k I was shocked. Tried to tank him like Cider but i guess i need to step my game up a bit ;p More tries tomorrow I think. Never expected this to be THAT hard or maybe we do something wrong..... maybe a DK with his pull on the sparks ? hmm

Abidahn
01-11-2009, 09:50 AM
The max camera doesn't give you nearly as much length as:

/console CameraDistanceMaxFactor 4

using that will give you a much better view of your surroundings! :)

dyls
01-11-2009, 06:02 PM
We tried him - wiped terribly ;p didn't do phase 1 :( We cleared naxx twice i think our gear is ok for this but we had trouble in stacking sparks ontop of eachother. Warr tank with 33k HP buffed (23% Dodge 17% Parry 28% Block) was also sometimes dying despite 2 paly healers with 2kSP ;/ we also had resto drood with 1.6SP for group. Players that are doing sometimes over 3kDPS in naxx went down to 1.6k I was shocked. Tried to tank him like Cider but i guess i need to step my game up a bit ;p More tries tomorrow I think. Never expected this to be THAT hard or maybe we do something wrong..... maybe a DK with his pull on the sparks ? hmm

Malygos is a step up from the faceroll that is Naxx, make no mistake about it. Luckily, it's more reliant (for the most part) on your strategy and ability to work together rather than gear. What this means is that likely what you need most is PRACTISE.

A few random tips I'll share a few weeks on from being in your shoes:

- stacking sparks will make a big difference to your overall DPS. But when you're learning the encounter, don't focus TOO much on this (at least not if it's resulting in tank deaths and general awkwardness from moving him around). You could try a gradual progression, like - first of all get to a point where you are happy moving him around and sparks are not hitting him - THEN worry more about the sparks stacking on top of each other - THEN worry about maximising dps.

- during vortex, as a prot warrior, I use the time to do the following: a) refresh thunderclap and demo shout b) refresh commanding shout c) heroic throw if I'm bored / it's up d) spot the next spark coming in and make sure that I'm facing it when I land - so that all I have to do is move backwards and Malygos will be in approximately the right position.

- a wise poster somewhere here (even in this thread, I think) gave some great advice: as a warrior, spec into reduced CD on shield wall - that way, you can pop shield wall when you land after the first vortex, then last stand when the next happens - then shield wall the time after that. (If it takes you longer than that, your DPS probably needs to catch up with the rest of the raid).

- your raider's dps definitely shouldn't be going DOWN - although it would be kind of understandable the first few times while they're learning the encounter. Is this ranged dps (hunters can find positioning awkward) or melee? If melee, you might be moving Malygos too far away from the spark pool.

Anyway, hope this helps in some way. Keep at it - you still got 2 more phases to master, but by the time you do, you'll find it a really fun encounter :)

Angro
01-12-2009, 07:47 AM
Thx m8 :) I was trying to kite around the middle but seemed like DPS had real trouble with sparks ( they never reached Malygos ) they just died in many differend places and that made kiting him more difficult. I was thinking maybe keep him in the middle and devide groups so one grp will kill sparks on right side of him other grp on left. That way we wont stack sparks but there always be a single buff on both sides i guess. I will check it today maybe we hav enough dps to do that. BTW how long should take Phase 1 to still kill him in time ?

Spaceoddity
01-12-2009, 08:15 AM
The max camera doesn't give you nearly as much length as:

/console CameraDistanceMaxFactor 4

using that will give you a much better view of your surroundings! :)

TY muchly kind sir.

This is perfect.

Druon
01-12-2009, 05:51 PM
This encounter is just frustrating until everyone focuses on their own health bars.

As ret pally i have kinda learned to forget my health bar and just trust the healers.

Fights like loathaeb and sapphiron can be bit tricky(+ malygos)

Its probs best if everyone gets scrolling combat text addon(i use miks scrolling combat text [MSBT]) and just enable the mode that gives you raid warning when your health goes below 45%. Helped me alot on my raiding on wotlk.

9k crits on yourself can be bit scary to watch on fights like thaddius and malygos, but hey would it be fun if it was just spamming your buttons without any brain? :p

Darkwarden
01-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Worked great the first time around for us. One of the best i have seen so far.

Rogueblood
01-12-2009, 09:28 PM
My guild is trying its best to try to get the sparks to stack, the grp make up is,
Rogue
shammy - heals
shammy heals
druid heals
warrior dps
death knight tank/dps
pally MT
mage dps
warlock deeeeps
hunter dps

We try our best to pull these things in the middle but for some reason they always track to the side and start going really fast to the boss, so its annoying to do so. please help on what I should do

Abidahn
01-13-2009, 12:34 AM
TY muchly kind sir.

This is perfect.

My pleasure! Go get some lewts! :)

agranyoch
01-13-2009, 02:29 PM
First of all, big hands down for Cider and whole Project Marmot for these brilliant videos and guides! This is my first post here and it by any means doesn't include anything new to this thread, just describing the way we were able to do this.

Malygos indeed is a step-up from say Naxx and Sarth (without drakes up) - our guild tried to down Maly for a bit over two weeks without success and we were all pretty well geared up. First problem we encountered was stacking the buffs, it seemed so hard at first but after watching Cider's vid, our tank started to move Malygos around and with slow progression, we finally started to get the sparks on top of each other. What we did was that when the spark was just about to enter the "position" where we are stacking them, I (hunter) would concussive shot the spark, DK would grip it on the stacking position and voila, things started to work out with this method. At 50%, Malygos switches to phase2 and at this point - as ppl have already mentioned - it is possible to burn 5-10% off of him while he does his speech, we got 8% off of him during this "free-nuke" period on our first kill.

For us, phase 2 seemed to have most of its victims while Nexus Lords were still up (read: the first minute of the phase2 or so) - after that it was pretty much a breeze: just run from bubble to bubble (you don't need to rush that, it's perfectly possible to survive a Deep Breath in a bubble that's very, very small - just like you see in Cider's video), get your melee DPS up in the air with the discs from the Nexus Lords and just burn the Scions down as fast as possible. You should have 2-3 minutes left to do the phase3 without problems.

When the phase3 is about to start, all of your raid should gather around in one place (we gathered in the south corner) so it's easy for you to group together on the red dragonflight. Build up combo points, release Engulf in Flames and be ready to cast Flame Shield whenever Malygos "focuses on you". Like in Cider's vid, we slowly strafed to the right constantly and spammed pretty much 2xFlame Spike followed by Engulf in Flames. The really important part is, as already mentioned, to keep yourself always 25 energy points so you have always enough of it to cast that Flame Shield when Maly is doing the surge on you. The static fields aren't a big problem once your raid knows that you constantly strafe to the right, not stopping at all, slowly rotating around Malygos.

And yeah, that's how we did it and after over two-weeks of sweat, tears and lots of repair bills & watching these vids later, Malygos finally fell and the euphoria was pretty substantial. :) This fight is VERY rewarding once you get the hang of it and surely provides a unique end-game encounter with all the dragonriding and different phases. It's all about communication and teamwork - although the encounter sets certain requirements for the gear as well, you need to have twenty-k'ish HP to survive Vortexes and enough DPS to bring Maly down in the frame of enrage timer, but about 90% of this fight is coordination and group work.

Surge Needle Ring dropped and I rolled it! Woot!

agranyoch
01-13-2009, 02:41 PM
We try our best to pull these things in the middle but for some reason they always track to the side and start going really fast to the boss, so its annoying to do so. please help on what I should do
Hunters can trap and concussive shot the sparks, DK's can deathgrip them in position, druids can root them and so on - they are perfectly snareable and rootable which helps a lot in positioning them correctly. If you watch Cider's vid, it's pretty much up to the tank to kite Malygos so that the sparks will HAVE TO come through your raid over the position where the sparks are getting stacked. This may not be easy on the tank but it's easy for the DPS to get full benefit from those stacking buffs. Also, hunters should put Hunter's Mark on the spark that was spawned BEFORE the Vortex so it's even more easier to determine the correct spark to kill first.

Like I said, snare 'em, stun 'em, root 'em, do whatever you have to do to slow them down until the tank has finished moving Malygos accordingly and then just keep killing the sparks on top of each other. Of course, if it's obvious that a spark is going to reach Malygos for some reason, it's wiser to just prevent that and kill the spark wherever it will die rather than risking a wipe from Malygos receiving the increased damage buff. One missed spark doesn't ruin the run in terms of getting him down to within the enrage timer but stacking the sparks definitely is something that's going to turn the tide in this encounter, for better or for worse. :-)

Good luck in your future attempts - take him down! :)

Inurface
01-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Hey my guild and I were just doing this fight and through out it I (a hunter) couldn't get shock buff and be in range to shot. What do you guys do about that so every dps gets buff and everyone can dps at there max?

Khaldair
01-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Annoyed, annoyed, annoyed!

Firstly, thanks everyone at Tankspot for the brilliant videos - especially this one. (thanks also to the person who gave the console command for the camera :p)

Today was our second attempt at doing maly - first time (3hrs worth of wipes), couldnt get him to phase 3 before 1min left on enrage - problems with spark stacking.

Tonight - well, wouldnt be annoyed if we had downed him but we spent 3hrs (different grp make-up this time) just pretty much learning the fight and positioning...and then on our very last attempt (had already agrred it would be the last attempt)...got him down to 3% then he enraged :/ (lost 3/4 dps on drakes too early otherwise we'd have him).

We have pretty much perfected phase 1 and 2 and almost have perfected phase 3 - we will have him down tomorrow.

Raid set-up
warrior tank
1 resto druid, 1 CoH priest, 1 holy pally
2 hunters, a fury war, 1 SP, 1 mage, 1 lock. (went ranged heavy so we could stack the sparks and properly learn the fight - once tactics are down correctly, then we'll start rotating melee in)

SP mind flay works well on sparks, as do 2 concussion shots...to the poster above...if ur ranged and too far away to attack with the buff, then ur killing the sparks too early. We're on vent (Helps A LOT), so if any ranged dps is getting trigger happy on sparks, I tell them to hold off til its almost over the centre. - u need to try to position urselves in the middle and only have ur tank moving.

BlazeDale
01-19-2009, 07:09 AM
Hey Cider,

First I would like to comment on your excellent videos and strategies. They have help me out immensely.

My question is this, have you figured out a good unit frames ui that handles the mounts and combo points correctly? I'm having an issue with this, particularly in the Malygos fight. As of right now I'm using pitbull and, over all, I'm unhappy with it's performance and highly considering moving back to wow standard user frames.

Also on a side note do you perfer Bigwigs or DBM. Bigwigs doesn't seem to work correctly on the malygos fight as it wasn't displaying a warning on who was getting targeted in phase three of the fight so that they know to use their Flame Shield, However I find bigwigs supierior on fights like Grobulous where it is excellent on displaying who has the mutating injections and keeping timers on the poison drops that he does. Please let me know what your thoughts are on this.

Again, thank you for your assitance.

Triank
01-19-2009, 09:36 AM
Hey gang,

Its been a bit since I posted last but I have a very good strat killing Malygos with or with out a DK and it doest not require the tank to kite him. This strat works for both 10 man and 25 man. I would like to make a video of our kills but Im not to savy with fraps and my brother in law is a rogue so all you would see is Malys arse but im hoping i can get it worked out.

One thing to keep in mind alot of people say its important to stack as many spark buffs as possible. While that is true and a must if your trying for the 5 min kill. It is more important for the raid to be standing in one buff at all time and multiples if possible but not required. If your dps classes are worth anything one buff is sufficient to beat him in the aloted time.

Ok phase one with out a DK. Your MT engages him and tanks him where he drops. Raid does its thing heals and dps. Right as the first vortex happens the first spark should be spawning. It is important for people to be able to understand direction on their mini map and make sure it is static and doesnt spin with them if that make sense. Also keep in mind rogue can shadow step and warlock can portal out of the vortex thus reducing healing needed and what not.

My OT is a prot warrior. So i asign my OT and a boomkin and elm shaman on spark duty. Upon the first spark spawning the direction of the spark is called out be it NW/NE/SW/SE. Everyone while in the vortex turns and faces their camera toward the direction of the spark. If you do this when you land from the vortex all you have to do is run straight ahead to run towards the spark and it will be away from malygos head. Thus when I land i just take a couple steps back and people wont get breathed on.

Giving people a point of reference to run on each landing is huge for people not taking a breath to the face. As soon as the first spark is dead blood lust is popped and go to town. While this is happening the 3 spark people are keeping an eye out for the second spark. They will usually kill the second spark and dps from that buff depending on where it is. The second vortex comes up just as anotehr spark spawns. The same tactic applies. Reguardless of the direction of the previous buff on the ground the raid whn they land moves towards the new spark thus still getting the new dps buff because. The only catch to having spark people is the MT an them need to be working together if the spark happens to spawn behind the MT he must turn maly 90 degrees to ensure he doesnt kill his spark people. Its fairly easy to do

As long as your dps knows how to dps one buff should be sufficient and multiples a bonus. The biggest thing is to make sure people run the right direction when they land. That is why when we go up in the vortex I tell everyone when you land you will be running in X direction make sure you facing it now.

If you happen to have a DK in your raid this strat works even better. Just tank maly in the middle and rotate as needed. The only time your raid is moving is when they land from the vortex and move towards a new direction of the spark. Other wise its constant dps while standing in the buff. I find our strat more efficient with or with out a DK. Most of the time you will luck out and get a couple spark buff stacks as it is. I think this week a majority of ours came from SE and the just stacked naturally.

Basically you get 2 sparks per vortex cycle. So if you have a DK you just try and stack the 2 sparks in each cycle. If not no worries just make sur eyou raid is standing in at least one buff all the time and you should be fine. Perhaps i just suck at strafing but the loss of melee dps following maly around and the loss of threat and just trying to get the positioning just right and stack the buffs in the middle is way more complicated then the strat we currently use.

Phase 2 is pretty straight forward like most say. Group up .. wen the nexus lords drop down I AE taunt and the OT pulls one off marks it and the raid burns it and so on and so forth. Melee starts jumping on discs as soon as they drop and get up to start killing the scions. Move bubble to bubble and your good.

Phase 3 we use the group up method. When we hit phase 3 we all fly up and group up facing malygos's face. Because the heals are AE just clump up and dps. When the static field hits the raid flys to the right and proceeds doing what they do. As long as people understand rotations and can move when the static field hits its a win.

I hope this makes since if anyone has questions about it please feel free to ask. I will try and get a frap of it soon and posted.

Edit : just re-read it. When I engage malygos I tank him where he lands. Upon exiting the first vortex is he and remains tanked in the middle of the platform. Just wanted to clarify.

Khaldair
01-19-2009, 02:46 PM
Just got him down tonight - after 3 attempts.

He enraged at 10% but we managed to get the killing blow in (some of us had 16-18 stacks of the DoT) just before he wiped us (we did all die - dunno if that's meant to happen!!). But we got him down!!!

Agree with the post above (we went ranged heavy again (5 ranged, 1 melee). As long as you're getting one buff, you should have the dps to get him. During vortex, I just pinged the map as to where the sparks coming from...when we landed, the tank would move maly back so we could get the spark as close to the centre as possible and kite maly around to try to get them to stack - its not always possible to do so tho.

As for UI, I play on a 13" laptop screen so I'm pretty much forced to use the default UI but would recommend disabling ur UI addon for this fight. When you're on the drakes, it's simple to target ur fellow drakes for heals, or target maly for dps and whoever ur targetting has 5 circles over their unit frame that turn red with every revivify or the flame strike (dunno what its called) so its easy to keep track of ur combo points and watch ur energy!

So happy right now :p

Shortypop
01-20-2009, 12:34 AM
Just a point that we noticed last night (25man, but I guess its the same as 10man), if he hits 50% a few seconds before a vortex, he seems to do it anyway, and we assumed he would fly off immediately afterwards, but in fact he land, does one breath attack and then takes off, so it's important to still split <-- raid tank --> to avoid that one breath attack hitting the raid.

Quinlaxle
01-20-2009, 05:09 AM
While doing this fight in phase 1 seems like the aff lock in guild keeps pulling aggro right after vortex is over is this a complete aggro dump for malygos?

Dragonsworn
01-20-2009, 07:19 AM
While doing this fight in phase 1 seems like the aff lock in guild keeps pulling aggro right after vortex is over is this a complete aggro dump for malygos?

He does not reset aggro but be aware that most tanks are unable to build threat during the vortex and if your aff lock had one or more spark buffs then his dots will generate a whole lot of aggro.

Triank
01-20-2009, 10:21 AM

Like a previous poster said tanks are not able to build up threat while in the vortex. So if your lock is close to you when you get the vortex it is up to them to play smart. This is another reason I personally dont like the kite method. You can build way more threat tanking him in the middle and not kiting him.

Depending on your gear vs the lock ... a well placed shatter after bloodlust should be enough to keep the gap sufficient. Also slap vigilance on the lock will help also.

Fevh
01-21-2009, 10:01 AM
Cider just wanted to thank you for all your videos and the time you take to make them. All of the videos have been a great deal of help.

Thanks again for all your time and effort

Fevh

wowplayer00
01-22-2009, 03:03 AM
i have a qustion is it possible for a pala too tank him ?

wowplayer00
01-22-2009, 03:05 AM
is it possible for a pala too tank him ?

Ororon
01-23-2009, 08:30 AM
I am an affliction warlock, and I can cast Demonic Circle and teleport when vortex is up and it will port me out of vortex, the only problem is on a couple of my guilds attempts on him, after vortex/when vortex is ending I stop dps yet somehow when he lands he turns around, hits me and im dead, is this a bug or am i just pullin too much aggro?
btw i was watching my threat when i died and i was not close to pullin aggro

bloodhaelz
01-23-2009, 08:31 AM
I tried to get my guild to do 25 maly, they wouldnt so i did it with IRL friends. We got him to 6% then wiped. Tried 7 times, trying tomorrow too.

Xed
01-23-2009, 09:13 PM
can anyone tell me how much dps are required from 6 dds for the 10men version and how much dps will be possible in this fight, compared to naxx or satharion?
we've cleared naxx 2 times now and would like to try malygos. but our healer said every dd has to do at least 2000dps in naxx to have a chance against malygos.

Tankfailure
01-24-2009, 02:23 AM
gotta say this ... music louder than comments ... (on this laptop i'm watchin this :P )
but i found this forum REALLY helpful :) (btw my 1st post :P )

squats
01-24-2009, 10:25 AM
can anyone tell me how much dps are required from 6 dds for the 10men version and how much dps will be possible in this fight, compared to naxx or satharion?
we've cleared naxx 2 times now and would like to try malygos. but our healer said every dd has to do at least 2000dps in naxx to have a chance against malygos.

his thoughts are about right. 2k dps would be a minimum dps for this fight as he has a relatively short enrage timer

Dabuya
01-24-2009, 12:32 PM
i was wondering if there is a certain rotation dps drakes should be doing during phase 3? :confused:

Xed
01-24-2009, 07:15 PM
i was wondering if there is a certain rotation dps drakes should be doing during phase 3? :confused:

i think someone posted
as rotation.

Murdog
01-24-2009, 07:20 PM
yea it all depends on the person as well i recently switched to 1 1 1 1 1 2 gives a full duration and allows me to not lose my stack if i get focused for 1-2 times in a row and even by the end of the fight my dots are ticking high. i recommend trying that rotation if you are comfortable with P3.

Quinlaxle
01-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the info guys

I am a palidin tank

I think I do good lol in there just hard for me to kite and see where sperks are comming from

Rycharde
01-26-2009, 05:03 PM
Hey there,

So Malygos has quickly become my favorite fight in the game. The first two phases actually call for some tanking expertise, especially when using the kite method. Cheers to Project Marmot for bringing the strategy to life in film. The third phase definitely takes some practice for everyone to learn the rotations and movement (my pally healer just didn't understand moving while maintaining the healing rotation), but the cumulative effect of a good rotation is amazing to watch - like a snowball rolling downhill.

Aside from praising the fight and videos here, however, I was curious if anyone else has ever encountered a peculiar bug during Phase 2. On one of our first attempts, we entered Phase 2 normally. After Malygos' first Deep Breath ability, Malygos flew down and started to bite at us. I had stayed on the ground to run Imp. Spell Reflection on my ranged DPS and healers, and was suddenly taking hits of up to 9k physical damage from Malygos (these attacks could be blocked, dodged, parried, and did miss). The healers were having a hard enough time adjusting to the situation without the strain of heavy damage on the MT - by the time Malygos performed his second Deep Breath (this was done horizontally, as he was still sitting roughly in front of me; his anti-magic breaths also shot horizotally across the field before impacting and creating the bubbles), our healers were running on empty. The entire raid then died to nibbles from Malygos.

Among the more curious qualities of this glitch, which I have yet to reproduce:

Malygos was untargetable the whole time. The sprite was in melee range, chasing us around as we moved from bubble to bubble, but could not be hit by targeted damage, and showed no response to AoE abilities.
Malygos did not simply start by attacking us. He did not "enter" the fight until he had performed his first Deep Breath ability. Whatever provoked him at that point, I'm not sure.
Malygos did not simply chew down me or whoever was at top threat; after all of the ground people had been eaten, he flew up and chased down our disc riders.
Malygos did not interact with the environment correctly; he continued to fly while at ground level, causing much of his body to sink through the ground. This is curious only because he doesn't show such behavior during Phase 1; he walks around normally then, so his ground collision capacity changed at some point.

Since I have only seen this glitch once, I don't feel I have substantial evidence to bring the bug to Blizzard. However, I was curious if anyone else had encountered this glitch, or any similar oddities. Additionally, if there are any other reports on other sites that I may have missed, please let me know.

Gertiploiss
01-26-2009, 05:24 PM
I'm not yet geared enough to do this yet, but thanks for putting this up :D Never could do it in beta. He enraged during Phase 1 most times. PvP gear + noobs with beta keys = fail.

blade86sam
01-27-2009, 06:07 AM
Hey there,

..., however, I was curious if anyone else has ever encountered a peculiar bug during Phase 2. On one of our first attempts, we entered Phase 2 normally. After Malygos' first Deep Breath ability, Malygos flew down and started to bite at us. I had stayed on the ground to run Imp. Spell Reflection on my ranged DPS and healers, and was suddenly taking hits of up to 9k physical damage from Malygos (these attacks could be blocked, dodged, parried, and did miss)....

Malygos did not simply start by attacking us. He did not "enter" the fight until he had performed his first Deep Breath ability. Whatever provoked him at that point, I'm not sure...

Since I have only seen this glitch once, I don't feel I have substantial evidence to bring the bug to Blizzard. However, I was curious if anyone else had encountered this glitch, or any similar oddities. Additionally, if there are any other reports on other sites that I may have missed, please let me know.

actually our group has had a glitch happen something similar but not all that catastrophic.. wat happened was..

1. when we entered phase 2 everything went as normal, but when he shot a bubble.. where was the bubble??!?... luckly moments after another bubble appeared so we all ran to that 1 asap..

2. later during phase 2 when he did his first breath.. he came down.. well was flying on the ground (half his body was in the floor -_-.. lol) our tank was like .. wtf? should i tank him? .. our raid said.. well hes not doing anything.. just kinda in our way.. n taking part of platform lol... so that made things a little anoying when a bubble ended up near him.. after he went up in the air for another breath.. he stayed up (thank god)

3. another thing was that 1/3 of the bubbles put down we had a raid member or 2 that were receiving FULL dmg from the spells shot at them.. we were like.. wtf u were at like full n then u died.. luckly we only lost 2 cause of that.. 1 which was our tank lol .. he got hit by 2 at the same time n pretty much got 1 shotted

so yea we've experienced some bugs here n there.. more minor n non threathning bugs, and some major.. major as in.. he just bugged out that he didnt do anything lol flew in air n that was it.. couldnt atk him as he was not in range n never initiated the next phase... but these happened a while ago n up to now seemed to b going fine (prolly blizz fixed those silly bugs.. mayb not n we were just lucky not 2 encounter them again)

Tavia
01-27-2009, 04:22 PM
Yup, we tried him tonight, and he is indeed quite bugged.

His arcane breath had a tendency to hit random raidmembers, who weren't in front of him. Talking about bad breath :)

We actually managed to get to phase 2, but here he went haywire, and actually came down, starting to attack everyone, which off course spelled a wipe for us :)
At that point, we decided to give up.

I have found a few sources of the problem, best one is here:
http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=36388.0 (http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=36388.0)

Well, the Eye of Eternity IS Malygos own realm, and he does say this:

I am without limits here...the rules of your cherished reality do not apply...In this realm, I am in control...

but isn't he taking his privileges a bit too far :D

Let's hope for a fix soon - I can't wait to try the real fight again :D

Hugs to you all

/Tavia

zulika
01-28-2009, 02:57 PM
i know i sound like a retard but i think i heard there are adds in the sky while phase 2 are the melle dps supose to fight them when they get on the discs or fight the boss?

Inaara
01-28-2009, 02:58 PM
They fight the adds.

Conall
01-29-2009, 02:35 AM
I was wondering Ciderhelm, on your pitbull frames, how did you get them color coded to the classes? I have been looking thru mine, and I have not found it yet.

gaiylo
01-29-2009, 03:31 AM
i know i sound like a retard but i think i heard there are adds in the sky while phase 2 are the melle dps supose to fight them when they get on the discs or fight the boss?

They're supposed to get on the discs and fight the "Scions of Eternity",
actually the boss is not supposed to be attackable during phase 2.
Since 3.0.8 he's not even targetable at the 2->3 transition.

Orodereth
01-29-2009, 09:41 AM
Hello all,
I was just over viewing this thread searching for arcane resist discussion/gear and there was no mention. My alt's guild leader is clear in expressing his view about having at least 1 of these two pieces: Cloak of Arcane Evasion with a arcane resist enchant, and the Violet Badge from Kara. Is the reason that i didn't see a mention of arcane resist because the topic is a given? or the fact that it isn't at all necessary (considering both the 10 and 25 man versions).

Gadholm
01-29-2009, 10:00 AM
I've never heard of a guild using it. Not saying that it doesn't happen, but that its not part of the usual strategies. Issue is probably losing DPS for enrage timer as well as skilled healers making it unnecessary, but perhaps some other members of the community have used it.

Djoust
02-01-2009, 09:47 PM
oh god .. this is my new hatred.

This is a great fight .. for the first 2 phases. Could be a little harder, but still a lot of fun.

Then you get to the damn gimmick portion and I just wanna rip my eyes out. I love my guild but I am pretty sure im gonna pay someone to run me through this for the achievement and never set foot in this hell hole again. I hate these gimmick fights with a passion.

Sorry for the negativity .. just frustrated as hell. Give me Kael and Vashj at the same time over these gimmicks any day.

agranyoch
02-02-2009, 10:51 PM
Aside from praising the fight and videos here, however, I was curious if anyone else has ever encountered a peculiar bug during Phase 2. On one of our first attempts, we entered Phase 2 normally. After Malygos' first Deep Breath ability, Malygos flew down and started to bite at us. I had stayed on the ground to run Imp. Spell Reflection on my ranged DPS and healers, and was suddenly taking hits of up to 9k physical damage from Malygos (these attacks could be blocked, dodged, parried, and did miss). The healers were having a hard enough time adjusting to the situation without the strain of heavy damage on the MT - by the time Malygos performed his second Deep Breath (this was done horizontally, as he was still sitting roughly in front of me; his anti-magic breaths also shot horizotally across the field before impacting and creating the bubbles), our healers were running on empty. The entire raid then died to nibbles from Malygos.
Yes, our guild experienced this too, twice. I still have no explanation for it other than just plain horrible bug. We wiped there because it was just plain too chaotic; Malygos blocking the view with his "tender" body and hitting ppl left and right. As I said, no friggin' clue whatsoever what caused this to happen.

Malygos did not interact with the environment correctly; he continued to fly while at ground level, causing much of his body to sink through the ground.
Yup, sounds like the exact same bug indeed. My condolences. ;-P

agranyoch
02-02-2009, 10:54 PM

This is a great fight .. for the first 2 phases. Could be a little harder, but still a lot of fun.

Then you get to the damn gimmick portion and I just wanna rip my eyes out. I love my guild but I am pretty sure im gonna pay someone to run me through this for the achievement and never set foot in this hell hole again. I hate these gimmick fights with a passion.

Sorry for the negativity .. just frustrated as hell. Give me Kael and Vashj at the same time over these gimmicks any day.
Have you ever considered of doing Aces High! - Quest - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?quest=13414) - this daily quest is actually designed as a rehearsal tool for Malygos P3. Have all your guild/raid do this, the drake you get in the quest has EXACT same abilities as the ones you get in Malygos P3, also the enemy drakes you are supposed to kill have an ability called "Arcane Surge", which is just the same thing that Malygos does.

So, fly high up above the Nexus, find a humanoid with a !-mark on his head on one of the platforms up there, get your test drake and go out with it!

7echno7im
02-04-2009, 10:42 AM
here is our Malygos video with some music if it help seeing things from a different angle... the strat was borrowed from Cider and his gang. Thanks!

YouTube - Main Tanking Malygos in Eye of Eternity in High Definition

jwizzle
02-08-2009, 06:35 PM
on the 25man video...what addons are you using for the unit frames, map, buffs, scrolling battle text and action bars? what are they and where can i get them?

i found the grid one, but am unable to identify and find the others.

mistabean
02-09-2009, 05:31 AM

There is another alternative if you find someone always fails on the shield. By putting 1-2 extra drakes on the healing duty, you might find an easier time to outheal the surges, and let the rest just concrentrate on building up the stack. This might be particularly true, since say if you got unlucky surges 2-3 times in a row, your hard-worked stacks might just falls off and you have to redo it from scratch.

Of course... if the raid fails to move properly as a group, that's another question altogether

blade86sam
02-09-2009, 07:50 AM
on the 25man video...what addons are you using for the unit frames, map, buffs, scrolling battle text and action bars? what are they and where can i get them?

i found the grid one, but am unable to identify and find the others.

if its concerning the video posted by 7echno7im

- barternder4/bongos (action bars)
- xperl (unitframes: player, target, raid)
- quartz (casting bars)
- DBM (aka deadly boss mods - encounter spell timers etc)
- sct/miks scrolling battle text (combat text on the sides of character)
- recount (dmg/dps meters)
- squeenix (minimap) - could also be another addon which can look the same (check Sexymap as an option)
- prat3 (chat enhancement)
- satrina's buff (change how buffs look and position of them)
note: i think thats the addon for buffs, not sure if it can do/look the same
- skinner/CBviewport(something like that) - (gives u that "cinematic" feel aka widescreen / the black areas top n bottom of screen that you see)
note: for skinner it will also change the look of your tooltips, character frame, achievement frame etc.. you can disable that via options & just use the viewport settings to configure your game :)

to what i see on the video i would say, and 90% sure those are the addons used :)

jwizzle
02-09-2009, 08:09 AM
thanks for the info!

- quartz (casting bars)
- squeenix (minimap) - could also be another addon which can look the same (check Sexymap as an option)
- skinner/CBviewport(something like that) - (gives u that "cinematic" feel aka widescreen / the black areas top n bottom of screen that you see)
note: for skinner it will also change the look of your tooltips, character frame, achievement frame etc.. you can disable that via options & just use the viewport settings to configure your game :)

to what i see on the video i would say, and 90% sure those are the addons used :)

Belak
02-09-2009, 11:25 AM
I've seen this question asked a few times but not seen a good answer yet.

How do hunters get the spark buff and stay outside of minimum range? We tried all sorts of things last night, but we were never able to find a distance that allowed the hunter and the melee to get the spark buff at the same time.

Bodasafa
02-09-2009, 02:54 PM
I've seen this question asked a few times but not seen a good answer yet.

How do hunters get the spark buff and stay outside of minimum range? We tried all sorts of things last night, but we were never able to find a distance that allowed the hunter and the melee to get the spark buff at the same time.

This falls on the tank to position Malygos just right. I park him sideways so his side is facing the raid and the incoming spark has to pass thru the raid to reach Maly. I make sure his front foot is almost touching the raise edge of the outer circle on the ground.

I have found that works the best, Melee are told to dps at max range and we make sure the sparks fall right in the center of the platform.

Trulee
02-11-2009, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the time put into these videos, they are very helpful.

Heads up for healers in the 10 man. We were in a 10 man run last night and our priest & shaman we're saying their instant cast heals were not working, while I was able to cast regrowth, wild growth.

We thought they were bugged or perhaps in yesterdays patch hidden fixes taking away heals in vortex, except for the fact mine were cast and healing.

We checked the combat logs and all heals are landing from each healers.The heals are not showing any numbers above the raids heads for heals. I was seeing heals land on the raid though (health bars going up). Your cast bar may tell you heal failed, or the bar comes up but looks like it got interrupted and closes. Don't stop casting your heals thinking you are unable to cast in the vortex, your heals are indeed casting and landing. This applies to melee also who are thinking they have missed and move directly against Malygos, if you check the combat log your attacks have indeed hit him and you can stay in the spark field for the damage buff (this is keeping in mind the dragon is positioned correctly).

Our paladins however are not able to stun the sparks, is that intentional?

Btw on side note precipitously - abruptly; in a precipitous manner, you were fine in your usage Ciderhelm :).

7echno7im
02-11-2009, 10:56 AM

- quartz (casting bars)

I use :

Bartender4
X-perl
Elkano's Buff Bars
Omen
Prat
eePanels2
SimpleMiniMap
MikScrollingBattleText
TargetCharms
DoTimer
DBM

There are more little/hidden ones but that's the majority

I am not using grib for my raid ui, its xperl stripped down. And my buff bar is EBB (Elk buff bar)

7echno7im
02-11-2009, 11:03 AM
If you are struggling with some of the features (bugs) that were added with 3.0.8. Check out Yakra's post. We uncovered most of them the first night of 3.0.8 and we usually 1 shot him every time. After the 4 wipe we knew there was something wrong...

But we did one shot him again on Sunday knowing what we do now.

Mirror Shield - Yakra's Reflections on Tanking: 3.0.8 Malygos Bugs - How To Beat Them (http://mirrorshield.blogspot.com/2009/01/308-malygos-bugs-how-to-beat-them.html)

shaak
02-16-2009, 03:26 AM
sorry if this has been asked and answered before, but as a paladin tank and my guild only just starting maly 10 man, what's the best gear setup i should be using;
strong stamina, about 30k hp unbuffed, about 49% pure avoidance
strong avoidance about 27k hp, about 55% pure avoidance
or a mix

what kind of stats should i be looking at

Lizardking89
02-17-2009, 11:27 AM
Just an off topic question, what unit frames are being used for the 10 man video and what addon is being used for the bottom of the window to make it black like that?

Maxxer
02-17-2009, 11:49 AM
I required my guild to watch all your raid videos, they are helpful beyond belief. Thank you.

blade123
02-19-2009, 08:21 AM
When everyone has to attack the sparks are they in range for melee dps to attack or do melee attack the boss?

Radhja
02-21-2009, 08:46 PM
So I've been told by my guild that it's my turn to finally MT Malygos next reset! I tried it a few weeks ago, but unfamiliarity with the encounter caused multiple wipes. Cider, your videos are amazing, but I am teh suck at positioning Maly apparently.

Anyway, I wanna know what the optimal spec is for a warrior tanking malygos. Is Deep Wounds worth the loss of avoidance, or should I go for full 5/5 Deflection and Anticipation? What about Imp. Spell Reflect? Safeguard? Gag Order?

TIA

Vindication
02-22-2009, 09:34 PM
Everyone keeps talking about what to do, strafe this, kite that....stack the sparks and watch for the bubbles....
my guild went in for 4 hours, getting to phase 3 the vast majority of the time but everytime he would enrage and pwn us all...so we assumed that we just werent putting out the DPS required to beat the enrage timer. about how much should all the dps be putting out through the fight in order to beat that enrage timer???

Alent
02-22-2009, 09:36 PM
I couldn't give you an "Amount of DPS" but you want to be getting Phase 1 down in less than 5 minutes, less than 4 is better, and the closer to 3 minutes for phase 1 the better.

Phase 2 is more "whacky" but if you can get out of it with 3 minutes to spare you're in good shape. we got our first kill tonight with people dying one by one in P3, and we had about 3:30 going into P3 on our kill.

frostmahn
02-24-2009, 03:39 AM
My guild went into EoE for the first time and we were having alot of trouble with the tank holding agro (druid) if we got more than 1 damage increase buff...is there any tips as to holding the aggro better i could pass on?

robbon
02-24-2009, 03:50 AM
your tank needs to generate threat faster and higher. If you take a protection warrior with you they can also place vigilance on your highest threat generating dps.

Doesnt do anything for your MT but lowers the threat of the highest monkey.

The tanks need to keep their rotations up all of the time... whilst positioning. It is the first real test of your tanks imo.

shaak
02-25-2009, 07:25 PM
get him to reroll paladin...problem solved

as a pally i can easily tank him, and not keep my threat rotation going all the time, not sure if it's your druids gear or not, but i seem to have no prob

Skibhoff
03-03-2009, 01:07 AM
Hey. I've tried to PUG Malygos some times.(know it's not a good idea) And i've respecced dps as the groups had tanks that said they knew the fight and so on. But why dont all ppl do it the easy way and kite the dragon away from the sparks? I dont like the idea of letting a DK Deathgrip them to him, cus he'll loose valuable dps, and the tank should be controlling the fight, not a dps. The tank didn't even pull the boss away when the sparks spawned right behind him.. I'm usually a tank, and i take pride in tanking and taking control over the situation. Why do ppl that dont wanna do anything even wanna tank? i dont understand that...

swelt
03-03-2009, 02:49 AM
Neat trick one of our hunters discovered. If you Track Elementals, you can see the sparks on the minimap, making it dead easy to ping where the next one coming after a vortex is.

choiwafu
03-03-2009, 03:12 PM
could you post the good rotation for healer in phase 3?

Pellet
03-04-2009, 01:11 AM
Sounds like you have an aggro problem, and its probably your tanks rotation that sucks if he is geared for the encounter. Rehardless - If he is your guilds best tank then there are a few things you can do to keep aggro on the tank.

Bring a hunter - even our guilds highest TPS tank had problem holding the aggro, he never lost it even with double buffs, but the DPS were coming rather close to his aggro. If you have a hunter misdirect onto the target, it makes the fight alot easier.

If you have a paladin, have them cast hand of salvation on the highest DPS.

If you have a rogue have them use "Tricks of the trade" on the main tank.

If you still have problems holding the aggro, have your DPS stop during the vortex (you can still hit him with all insta abilities with a 10yard or more range.)

Honsetly, if your tank cannot hold aggro, then it is likely a gear issue on his end or a skill issue.

If you chose the druid to tank over a warrior/DK/Pally because they have the higher HP then you have misread the encounter.

If you have chosen the druid simply because he is your "best" tank, then its probably a gear issue, return to naxx and gear him up.

klor
03-04-2009, 03:12 AM
could you post the good rotation for healer in phase 3?

I target myself. hit 3 five times, then hit 4. Done. Rinse repeat.

jettzypher
03-06-2009, 03:54 AM
i was trying to watch the videos for this and the thing says theyre no longer available. if someone knows a link to a working version please let me know. gotta do some homework before raid time tomorrow...thanks in advance...

edit: nevermind...found one that works. thanks anyways. =D

Grancabro
03-09-2009, 08:46 AM
There's a key spot or distance to keep between stacking spark fields, raid group and Malygos? I did my first attemp yesterday, and we reach phase 2 one time, kind a hard, but video help so much

Yeresaijis
03-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Hello Ciderhelm,

First I would thank you for the great help and inspirition your movies gave me and our guild thru all Naxx encounters. Altrough our guild has great difficulties bringing Malygos down and it is the enrage timer wich is killing us time after time.
So me and the other officers of our guild try to setup the strongest 10man raid our guild can profite for Malygos. I would love to hear your comments on this and advices. We will have our first shot on march 10, with this setup.

Note: All our players are above 20k health buffed
Note: We choosed for 2 healers because in our earlyer attempts the overhealing of our third healer was unacceptable

Main Tank - Druid
- 38k Health, 24% dodge

Healers
Holy Priest
- 2122 BH, 290 mp5 w/c, 874 mp5 w/n/c, 15.18% crit, 17.6k mana
Resto Druid (me)
- 2179 BH, 363 mp5 w/c, 877 mp5 w/n/c, 12.45% crit, 17.1k mana

Ranged
Warlock - Affliction - 1834 BD, 370 HR, 16.49% crit, 17.6k mana
Hunter - Survival - 4519 AP, 235 HR, 30.05% crit, 11.4k mana
Mage - Fire - 1707 BD, 355 HR, 20.66% crit, 16.4k mana
Priest - Shadow - 1902 BD, 279 HR, 16.88% crit, 15.9k mana

Melee

DK - Unholy -1503 - 1792 dmg, 3672 AP, 33.54% crit
Paladin - Retribution - 1487 - 1819 dmg, 3113 AP, 31.19% crit
Warrior - Fury - 1432 - 1726 dmg, 3282 AP, 29.64% crit

This is best setup I could make of it, tho it will be hard for me and the Holy priest to keep everyone up during phase 1.

Greetings

Yeresaijis
EU,Lightbringer

Adamheals
03-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Just out of curiosity what should the raid balance be for 25M malygos? approx. atleast not a set in stone build.

Pellet
03-10-2009, 04:43 AM
In reply to Yeresaijis's post:

I would say your DPS is fine, and your class balance seems adequate, you have most of the major buffs covered, and your healers seem adequate... but your tank concerns me.

24% dodge on a druid... seems rather low, considering that they cannot parry or block.
This may be a drain on both healers during the opening phase, you both have 17k mana which is averagely raid geared, but with a tank that lacks avoidance, maybe bringing back a 3rd healer would be advisable. A pally (extra blessing) or a shaman (mana tide totem) would be golden in this fight; basically, switch out the tank, or add another healer

Yeresaijis
03-10-2009, 08:35 AM
In reply to Pellet's reply:

Thanks for your reply on my post, tho I miss spelled his dodge rating.
As the situation appears he was not able to attend on the raid tonight so we had to replace him with one of our other warrior tanks.

That concerns me a bit becouse im not fully confident if the warrior tank can hold up aggro against raid, we had some minor issues with this in our earlyer attempts.

But here are some stats of the warrior tank:

28.7k Health
23.5k Armor
21.7% Dodge
20.1% Parry
20.1% Block

And he is a little def overcapped with 547 Def rating.

I hope changing this in our setup will increase our changes, tho we still want to give it some shots with 2 healers.

Thanks again for your reply and feel free to do so again.

Greetings,

Yeresaijis
EU\Lightbringer

Argamasilla
03-10-2009, 09:52 AM
Yere, there is no Defense cap. At 540 he is crit immune, but every point over 540 continues to provide avoidance, more Def is never bad.

Why are you worried about his aggro? Has that PLAYER had trouble with other raid bosses in the past? Warriors have excellent single target aggro. In addition with the use of Vig. and intervening the 2nd on the aggro list, its very easy to hold aggro even when kiting him around.

My stats are very similar, and while we are having trouble in P3, there are no aggro issues in P1. 28K unbuffed is plenty of health. If you are kiting, the tank must strafe and continue his rotation however, or they will lose aggro; this hold true for any class though.

Yeresaijis
03-10-2009, 10:42 AM
In reply to Argamasilla's reply:

Thank you for your reply. As you mentiont that the kiting around is essential to keep aggro that is where it most likely went wrong in our earlyer attempts. Tank only kited to avoid that Malygos would have the buff of the sparks. Besides that he did not move much. Other problem with aggro was right after the Vortex when especially mages and warlocks overaggro easely.

Tho, i will bring your advice in the raid of tonight and make it clear that the tank keeps kiting around.

And no, our tank has never had problems with aggro only in EoE it seems to be a problem.

Again thanks for your reply and feel free to do so again,

Greetings,

Yeresaijis
EU/Lightbringer

Argamasilla
03-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Yere,

While your tank is in the vortex, have him use heroic throw, thunderclap for aggro help, and Demo shout/command shout for mitigation and some extra health. If they are not glyphed for the extra TC range it may not reach, but its worth pressing the button anyway.

Occasionally I will be in melee range to continue rotation in vortex, but its spotty.

If he has vig. on your highest dps, they will not be a threat problem during vortex, and will actually help him gain aggro. Between when Mally lifts off, and the vortex, they can intervene #2 on the list

Intervene should do two things, reduce the aggro of the target, and get the tank with the rest of the group. The group should be in a spark field, and its possible to get a SS in before he gets out of range with the damage buff if he/she gets there fast enough. But there is still plenty of time between lift off and vortex to calmly target and intervene without needing to hurry.

The single most important thing you can do is have them watch Cider's video on this. There is alot for the tank to do, watch for sparks, strafe, generate threat, and keep Mally's head pointed away from the group.

Oh... the first spark spawns but does not reach the party before the first vortex (in 10 man atleast). So the start of the fight is very important.

Tank should be standing right where Mally lands, with bloodrage burned,spamming Devestate. As Cider mentions, he is not hittable for a few moments when he first lands, so the devestate will not do anything until he is, but spamming it assures the tank will get the first hit in, as soon as that first dev hits, his roation starts.

There is NO need to move him before the first vortex, DPS should save major cooldowns and heroism for after vortex 1 and the first spark is dead,so the tank can concentrate on TPS and get a good lead going in to Vtex1.

Yeresaijis
03-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Hello all,

I want to thank you all for your replys wich has been a great help to our raid.
We downed him with the setup writtend under in this post after 4 attempts with 1 m, 23 on enrage timer!

The tips for the aggro where perfect!, not even one player overaggro'd. Tank kited him perfectly away like in Cider's movie.
Healing this with a holy priest and me as resto druid was a great plan and gave us all the time to focus on Ph3.

All after all, it settles our guild has now downed Malygos on 10 man and we can proceed to the 25 encounter a.s.a.p.

Again, Thanks all for your great help.

Setup 10 man Malygos

Main Tank

Warrior, 28.7k Health 23.5k Armor 21.7% Dodge 20.1% Parry
20.1% Block

Healers
Holy Priest
- 2122 BH, 290 mp5 w/c, 874 mp5 w/n/c, 15.18% crit, 17.6k mana
Resto Druid (me)
- 2179 BH, 363 mp5 w/c, 877 mp5 w/n/c, 12.45% crit, 17.1k mana

Ranged
Warlock - Affliction - 1834 BD, 370 HR, 16.49% crit, 17.6k mana
Hunter - Survival - 4519 AP, 235 HR, 30.05% crit, 11.4k mana
Mage - Fire - 1707 BD, 355 HR, 20.66% crit, 16.4k mana
Mage - Fire - 1676 BD, 266HR, 22.39% crit, 15.7k mana

Melee

DK - Unholy -1503 - 1792 dmg, 3672 AP, 33.54% crit
Paladin - Retribution - 1487 - 1819 dmg, 3113 AP, 31.19% crit
Warrior - Fury - 1432 - 1726 dmg, 3282 AP, 29.64% crit

Greetings, Yeresaijis - Royal Legion
EU/Lightbringer

Shadowarrow
03-10-2009, 11:14 PM
Was it tough tanking Malygos on 10 man?

Volika
03-10-2009, 11:44 PM
I have a question as a a warrior tank about malygos. Whenever I tank Malygos and the dps'ers are constantly getting the 50% increased dmg buff, I tend to lose aggro since, I as tank, cannot get the same buff without turning malygos around and exposing raid to his breath. I cannot get my dmg to be in proportion with the dpser's to hold aggro during phase one, specially with all the required tank movement.

I noticed in your 6 minute guide, you get 12K shield slam crits, while Im still stuck with my 4-5Ks.

Am I missing something on my part? Can u suggest something to overcome this problem ?

Yeresaijis
03-11-2009, 10:01 AM
In reply to Shadowarrow post:

I can't say much about how hard it is to tank. What I do know is that the tank must know exactly what he is doing and cant afford any mistakes. Tho I think it is one of the hardest bosses to tank, but then again i'm a healer. I can say its medium difficulty to heal with 3 geared healers and heavy with 2 healers.

Tho if you have the luxery of 2 heavy geared healers in your raid I would advice you to go with two, so that you can bring in another dps for more time to beat the enrage timer.

If you want to go with 2 healers I would strongly recommend to choose for healers who can place HoTs or else the vortex would be nearly imposseble to survive for all your raid members.

Greetings,

Yeresaijis
EU/Lightbringer

Yeresaijis
03-11-2009, 10:04 AM
In reply to Volika's post:

The problems you discribe seems quite the same as we had in our earlyer attempts. Tho, Argamasilla's post a few threads above will help you with the most of this problems if you are a warrior tank. Also Cider's movie is a great help to you.

Greetings,

Yeresaijis
EU/Lightbringer

UNIT192
03-17-2009, 06:21 AM
So, I have been trying to get my champion of the frozen wastes title and the only thing standing in my way is Maly. I've had about 4 attempts on it and everytime we get to the drake phase we get the enrage timer. I'm a tank so I watched the video and do everything that it said, I've explained it to all the raids I've been in and it just seems not to work, I always get the enrage timer. So, I'm wondering if there is an optimal DPS output that there needs to be. I was thinking everyone needs to be putting out at least 2k DPS, is that not enough? I'm going to go crazy if I wipe on maly again lol. Thanks for anyone's help.

http://sigs.guildlaunch.net/wsig.php/9454138HmToB.png
(http://sigs.guildlaunch.net/wsig.php/9454109bwylJ.png)

Yeresaijis
03-17-2009, 07:05 AM
In reply to UNIT192's post:

A few threads above I've a 10 men setup wich is good way to beat the timer. If you have geared druid healer you are able to heal the 10 man with 2 healers. If the other is not a priest you want to direct your heals, Make sure the druid is focust on the vortex and the shammy or pally on more on tank and critical targets in and after vortex.

If you do this probably and you watch Cider's movie you can get the sparks stacking on eacher other in the middle of the platform. Is this is not happening something is not going right.

Tho, I can provide you the /rw tactics under this post I used to lead our guild thru the 10 and 25 man encounter. I just hope you dont consider it as spam ;)

/rw Phase 1
/rw I'll start the encounter, Tank will pick up malygos where he comes down and kite him in the inner-circle
/rw At this point Raid stacks in the middle and starts nuking malygos...
/rw There are those lighting things left and right who are called Sparks, DPS must nuke it right on top of the raid.. and All DPS should stand on it for the buff
/rw The spark may never ever reach malygos or he will get the same buff, wich in most casses = wipe.
/rw Tank must know what he is doing in this phase he should move malygos always to the far side of where the spark is comming and as soon the spark passes the center side (above raid), stun it or Root it but most important kill it!
/rw NOTE! The sparks give you a Damage bonus, multiple sparks does STACK! so this is essential you stack them on top of each other to gain more damage bonusses and to beat the enrage timer
/rw NOTE! If a sparks move over the raid and is near to malygos only then the Deathknights use there DG, to pull it back above raid and still kill it above raid
/rw The other thing about sparks is that there appears most of the time one just before Vortex and one right after, after vortex you'll see the first spark from before the vortex go a lot faster towards Malygos then the second
/rw Raid must be aware of this and nuke that one first, tho you want them ofc both down but to ensure not one spark reaches malygos
/rw NOTE! You may never ever stand in front of malygos, You may never ever stay underneath him. He does a arcane breath wich hits you for like 40k, wich is going to hurt.
/rw Then the vortex will appear, Healers ... Make sure everybody in raid is topped off going into this phase. Priests and druids place hots, Pallys Heal only the critical targets who are not going to make the vortex
/rw After vortex he does the arcane breath again for like 20 to 25k damage on tank in heroic mode.'
/rw Healers you want to make sure you top off tank first after vortex, then critical raid targets, use AoE healing spells on raid.
/rw But be aware of the damage the tank will get in the first 5 sec after vortex.
/rw Nobody should die during this phase.

/rw Phase 2
/rw In this phase Malygos is going to fly up and will not longer become a target wich you can hit.
/rw NOTE!, before he is actually doing his ph2 move he will first tell a little speech about how stupid we are, KEEP NUKING HIM DURING THIS!
/rw In ph2 there will be Nexus lords who are flying around on Discs, MT and OT will mark those who need to be downed first.
/rw After you killed a Nexus lord he is going to drop his disc wich will be availble for players to move on.
/rw In this phase we also hide in the anti-magic shields for Zions up in the air. They dont do a lot of damage as long you are in the anti-magic shield.
/rw NOTE!, Melee should go first on the Discs, started with our best melee, followed up by the lower ones.
/rw Once all melee is up, Ranged can also go on the Discs, but there is absolutly no need for this.
/rw During this phase its very important we win time, How faster the Nexus lords are killed how sooner we will go in Phase 3
/rw NOTE!! MAlygos will do a move , Blow breath, wich is the same as arcane breath but now effecting the whole platform.
/rw Raid will get a lot of damage even in the anti-magic shield, not to mention if you are out of the anti-magic shield during this move.
/rw Dont Overaggro when Nexus lords appear in the beginning of this phase but let tank pick them up and build up a little hate.
/rw Nobody should die during this phase.

/rw Phase 3
/rw We will flight a little further thru space and then malygos will let the platform explode.
/rw We should have at least 4 minutes on the enragetimer comming in to this phase
/rw We all fall down on the bleu drakes wich are quite hard to control but let me explain this shortly
/rw Phase 3 is tactical seen quite easy, its all about coordinating your moves
/rw To move your drake use forward and backward and your strafe keys, (wich is default Q or E)
/rw Dont go to close to malygos but rather stay on max range of him
/rw Dont stack on top of each other but do stack in range so that Healers still can heal you , and the AoE heal still effect you
/rw Basicly we should all be in 20yards range of each other, But the raid should be still a group rather then everybody going his own way
/rw To control your drake you have the following controls
/rw for DPS, 1 is called Flame Spike wich is a basic attack and this builds combo points. Number 2 is Endolving flames, Its a massive DoT wich stacks for like 21s
/rw Pressing 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 and then 2 will place the massive DoT on Malygos
/rw BUT! keep in mind that you always have to keep 30 energy for your Flame Shield
/rw This counts for all players including healers.
/rw Malygos does a abillity called Surge of Power wich does a huge amount of damage, you must use you Flame shield in this move or you will die.
/rw Flame shield is number 5
/rw For Healers, 3 is a HoT wich also builds up combo points, number 4 is a massive AoE heal wich uses combo points.
/rw You want to have your PET bar active here and rather select the drake then the player
/rw So for Healers, its select the drake, Press 3 - 3 - 3 - 3 - 3 - 4

/rw This are a few basic things about Ph3 everybody should now!
/rw There appear sparks or more called lightning balls, wich does a huge AoE damage, wich you want to avoid at all times.
/rw You dont want to come to close to Malygos or a certain aura that will kill you if he does a move.
/rw You want to keep in range of the healers so then can lift you up.
/rw if you are completly lost and are going to die if you dont recive a heal, Heal your self
/rw you can do this easely by selecting your drake, press 3 - 3 - 4 wich will be enough to survive and so you can fly back to the range of the healers
/rw they will top you off asap.

/rw Certain facts you want to know about this encountes wich could and/or often wipes the raid.
/rw Tank and dps MUST be sure they are always fully focust on sparks during ph1
/rw If spark reaches Malygos from short side, this is a direct faillure of the Tank
/rw If spark reaches Malygos from the far side, this is a direct faillure of the DPS
/rw If somebody dies in Vortex, this is a direct faillure of the Healers
/rw If tank dies of Arcane breath, this is a direct failure of the healers.
/rw If sparks are not being killed in the middle, tank or dps is doing something not right.
/rw If people die at the start of Phase 2 that means they did not listen to what i said about the Overaggro.
/rw If ppl die bc they are not hiding in the anti-magic shield, well you know...

This is basicly all you need to know, if I missed something just tell me. I will be pleased to hear.

Greetings, Yeresaijis
EU/Lightbringer

UNIT192
03-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Alright thanks, I am going to try it again today after the realms come back up. All of the DPS we are bringing do over 3k single target plus we have a shaman for hero. I'm also bringing 2 DK's so we can make sure to get those sparks on top of the raid. Now me being the tank after our Melee DPS get on the disks should I hop on one to help out up there since no more people fly down? (Also, is there an optimal time to pop hero on phase one?)

http://sigs.guildlaunch.net/wsig.php/9454138HmToB.png

Fistantilius
03-17-2009, 09:13 AM
My guild is starting on Maly..I have just 1 question...we get through phase 1 with out a problem. Phase 2 is where we start running in to problems..For the guys on the circles that are on the ground does every DPSer need to be on them? or should ranged be focusing on the guys in the air and leave the Melee be getting the ones on the ground??

Thx
Fist

Finkleroy
03-17-2009, 09:19 AM
My guild is starting on Maly..I have just 1 question...we get through phase 1 with out a problem. Phase 2 is where we start running in to problems..For the guys on the circles that are on the ground does every DPSer need to be on them? or should ranged be focusing on the guys in the air and leave the Melee be getting the ones on the ground??

Thx
Fist

Depends on how many melee you bring. If you bring a lot of melee, and focus on the lords first a large chuck of your raid dps will be sitting around waiting for more platforms to drop. Also, the scions are the most dangerous mobs in p2. 2-3 scions targeting someone running to a new bubble = dead person.

Khas
03-19-2009, 02:29 PM
I apologize if this question has already been answered, I read about 5 pages already.

An off-tank is absolutely unnecessary for this encounter? I just want to make sure that there's nothing to tank in the air. Are the DPS just killing the scions(?) while the scions bombard the raid with those arcane blast things? My guild is going to try Malygos for the first time this weekend with myself as a warrior main-tank and a paladin off-tank was invited. Would it be more beneficiary to bring a DPS instead of the off-tank?

Korvex88
03-22-2009, 11:30 AM
I was reading the threads and realized no priests talked about Prayer of Mending. That works extremely well in the vortex. Holy priests only having a 7 sec cooldown works wonders. ( still throw out renews as well)

Yeresaijis
03-23-2009, 07:02 AM
In reply to Khas his post:

OT is useless in the 10 man encounter yes becouse you will be nerfing your raid dps, for the 25 man i would rather say it is crucial for phase 2.
The nexus lords must be picked up by tanks to secure nobody OA.

Nugat
03-23-2009, 10:04 AM
I started this post over on the keybinds guide, but since by biggest challenge right now appears to be Malygos, I'll post it here as well.

I'm having trouble maintaining high levels of threat on Malygos. Maybe I'm just not cut out for tanking this fight, but between staying on top of the GCD (with heroic strike spam), constantly moving the camera around to try and spot the sparks, and moving the dragon when it's necessary (most of the time, rarely get lucky with 2 sparks from the same location), I find my threat slipping.

All of my abilities are bound to either the keyboard or mouse, so I don't have anything that I need to click on. However, here are some problems that I encounter.

1. I still find my eyes wandering down to the action bar to make sure my timing is in sync with the GCD. This causes me trouble when when there is a situational awareness check (void zones, checking for sparks, or even watching for a castbar on the mob I'm tanking for an interrupt).
2. Maintaining a solid rotation while moving. While moving, I usually have to let something slide. Sometimes I start to lag behind the GCD, sometimes I lay up off the Heroic Strike spam, and sometimes I'll let buffs/debuffs slide.
3. Reaction time. I think pretty quick on my feet, and I can't tell if I'm planning too far ahead, or if I just can't react to stimuli quick enough. For example. As soon as I hit a button (lets say Shield slam), I do a very fast evaluation (is revenge lit?), and I start spamming the appropriate "next button" before I'm even 1/4 through the GCD. Lets say I choose next button to be Devastate. While I'm spamming devastate, Revenge lights up, my reaction time isn't quite quick enough to catch that revenge before the GCD finishes, and I hit Devastate (so far, I'm a little behind on threat for selecting devastate when I theoretically could have revenged). I give myself a fraction of a second to curse my mistake, and start spamming revenge. This would be fine, if that devastate hadn't procced S&B, I don't get my audio cue's until at least half way through the GCD (default shield "clang" as well as a big "whoosh" from my proculas addon), and by the time my brain registers the "Shield Slam!", the GCD has already come and gone, and I've hit the revenge key instead of the Shield Slam.

Do other warriors out there find themselves in a similar boat? or do you wait for the GCD to finish before you do your evaluation/button press? I find that after having 1 or 2 misses (pressing the wrong button), I tend to stop pre-emptive spamming, and pay more attention to the action bars (setting myself up to miss an environmental cue).

I'm wondering if remapping my keys will help alleviate at least some of the problems (maintaining high threat while moving). Maybe put the big 3 high threat GCD's on the mouse (I use a logitech revolution, so lots of buttons available), and put more situational stuff on the left hand where they can be prioritized against movement keys (moving usually > than anything than the most critical abilities).

Or am I simply over-analyzing the problem, and I need to tell the DPS to give me a little more time to get a solid lead?

Skyborn
03-23-2009, 10:23 AM
From a warrior perspective, before every vortex I Intervene the DPS with the highest threat. A 10% aggro dump is certainly better than nothing, and it also helps to get you into the middle of the raid to refresh Commanding Shout.

Of course, you have to make sure you don't have the AOE Explosion debuff before you Intervene, because if you do you'll see a lot of "KILLING BLOW" messages all over your screen.

Alexandar
03-24-2009, 10:46 PM
I was just wondering what are good times to be doing for maly? as in phase 1 should be done by blank? my guild is just starting to do maly and i was just wondering what kind of tempo we need to be moving at according to the enrage timer. any info is useful ^-^

Dawn
03-26-2009, 01:20 PM
I was Woundering wat program u use to record ur video's and wat encoder u use to make them HD

Crepsley
03-27-2009, 02:58 PM
For this fight what would be the average DPS needed.Also does he have any sort of timer?

weber
03-28-2009, 02:08 AM
Here i go whit my question ;P , was wondering about a thing in phase 3: if i take a healers spot, and start 2 build combo points on any1 in the raid, and do the usuall healing thing, what happends if surge of light or w/e its called is directed 2 me? can i use the combo points i've built up from healing to use shield? or do i gota shoot 2 flame thingies at malygos to have the points so that flame shields lasts long enough 2 survive? :p

Drunkpenguin
03-28-2009, 04:00 AM
I don't know if this has been stated before, but I find it useful.
If you have a combat rogue in your party that has filled out their talents all the way down to killing spree, they seemingly have a way out of every other vortex Maly throws down.
I'm a combat rogue, and learned this recently on a whim.
When the vortex is about to begin (while still on the ground and the light appears), a rogue can use Killing Spree, which if timed right will allow them to avoid the vortex and allow them to continue DPSing from the ground.
Yes, I know, it's not the greatest ability in the world, but it buys them an extra 8 seconds or so to DPS, which if they're doing high enough DPS and you're close enough to 50% could put you into phase 2 right out of the vortex.
Just figured I'd toss that up.

Bihn
03-28-2009, 10:57 AM
If you have a combat rogue in your party that has filled out their talents all the way down to killing spree, they seemingly have a way out of every other vortex Maly throws down.

I remember someone posting earlier in this or a similar thread about the dangers of "cheating" vortexes. If not currently, there was once a concern that locks and rogues dropping out of vortexes was causing random arcane breathes on the raid.

I don't believe anyone in our raid has done it in several weeks, so I can't speak to it at this point, but it did seem to cause some buggy breathes. But that might have just been coincidental.

Bihn
03-28-2009, 11:05 AM
I was just wondering what are good times to be doing for maly? as in phase 1 should be done by blank? my guild is just starting to do maly and i was just wondering what kind of tempo we need to be moving at according to the enrage timer. any info is useful ^-^

IIRC, on our first, enrage timer hitting kills we were doing phase 1 in about 3 or 4 minutes (between 6 and 7 minutes left on enrage timer), phase 2 in about 3 and a half (3 minutes left on the enrage timer) and killing him about 10 to 15 seconds after the enrage.

A lot of phase 1 and 2 depend on which strategies you're using for stacking sparks and whether you're trying to stand in the last bit of a spark instead of bubbles. To a certain extent, phase 3 depends on how much ranged DPS you have and if you end phase 1 on a double stack.

If everyone is on point, phase 3 should only need about 2 to 3 minutes, but if you are getting to phase 3 consistently with less time, I'd go through it anyways just to get some practice on the drakes.

Quinlaxle
03-31-2009, 08:33 AM
this may give good chuckle lol we was doing maly lastnight first attempt looked great for 25 man got him to 2nd phase had 2 disc down quick sweet then maly glitched came down and attacked us in melee ranged and was untargetable lol he gobbled me up lol

Pellet
03-31-2009, 09:09 AM
There seems to be a lot of people who have simular issues, the main ones being Aggro, and DPS.

Surprisingly healing seems to be less of a problem for most, but for our guild in particular, whenever we run without our Priest/Resto Druid Setup, we ALWAYS Bring 3 Healers. Druids are invaluable in this encounter, for the resistance GOTW provides and the HOT healing in the vortex.

Aggro - Lots of Guilds seem to have this problem, but as many of the more vigilant tanks know, there is always a solution. Since the release of WOTLK, no tanking class has a problem with Single target aggro, just AOE, and this is inevitable if you have around 5 mages spamming blizzard.

If aggro is a problem on malygos, there is a problem with your tanks rotation, or in minor cases gear... Warriors poses the best single target aggro in the game, and the enhancements made to paladins and druids put them right up there, just underneath.

As already suggested, the warrior tank can intervene and put vigilance on your best DPS, and this should pose no problem to threat, if there is indeed a problem, it may be prudent to bring a rogue or hunter with you specifically for their aggro dumps.

The other tanks have to be sightly more attentive to threat than warriors, because they have no "threat reduction" they can attatch to targets. Paladins can cast holy protection on the target with highest threat, because this is an INSTA threat wipe, removing all threat, on top of that, pallys have 2 taunts on individual 8second cooldowns, to even if you have to taunt spam in your rotation, you should be able to hold the threat fine.

As For druids and deathknights, because of the mechanics behind their gear, that they can encorporate DPS wepons or in druids case, DPS Gear, into their tank set, there should be no aggro problems, and if there is there is likey a gear gap between the DPS and tank.

If your main problem is DPS, as most guilds first attempts on malygos will be, be sure to bring the Big Raid Buffs, Bloodlust is a must have as well as A Paladin for Kings/Bow/Bom.
If you have one dedicated player dealing with the sparks (highly recommend a DK) and are using 2 healers, that means there is 6 DPS focused on malygos, and these are the people you want to be getting the buff. Even if your raid wide DPS is low, the sparks should make up for that easily, i know of mages getting 30k+ crits when double sparked, so malygos is likey to die quickly anyway.

the problem most new groups seem to have is that you choose to gear up your tanks and healers in favour of your DPS classes. Whilst good in principle this is a mistake when it comes to malygos, as no matter how well your tank is geared, its the arcane breath that hurts not his melee hits.

On our first kill our raid DPS was 19k without spark buffs and close to 40k when double stacked. - Malygos enraged in phase 3 and died 4 seconds afterwards, leaving only 5 players alive.

homesick
04-05-2009, 09:54 AM
can anyone tell me the names of the unit frame and combat text addons cider is using?

Ludoviko
04-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Hey ciderhelm will you email me your addons you use? if it isnt a problem your a crazy tank dude, i want your addons haha! Agamimnon98@hotmail.com please and thank you

Drunkpenguin
04-06-2009, 03:58 AM
I remember someone posting earlier in this or a similar thread about the dangers of "cheating" vortexes. If not currently, there was once a concern that locks and rogues dropping out of vortexes was causing random arcane breathes on the raid.

I don't believe anyone in our raid has done it in several weeks, so I can't speak to it at this point, but it did seem to cause some buggy breathes. But that might have just been coincidental.

Yes, I must say that a couple times he has seemed to do his arcane breaths at strange times, but for the most part it hasn't seemed to happen, thus just helping to get a few extra shots in while everyone else is trapped. I'm not sure if someone escaping his vortexes causes him to "reset" as if he were on the ground again, thus causing him to use arcane breath as soon as the vortex ends, but we have yet to have someone die right after a vortex unless it was from fall damage/not being topped off/etc. The next couple times my guild runs Maly, I'll make sure to try both ways and keep you guys updated on the results.

Golfgate
04-09-2009, 04:54 AM
HELP!

OK well we (I say we but it may be me) have gone backwards on this fight over the past few weeks to the point where I benched myself in both the 10 and 25 man runs for another tank (I am a warrior).

I have successfully MT'd him on 25 and 10 in the past (have the pants & trinket from 25 and the shield from 10) but this week the guild could not get him down with me as main tank in either sized raid. There was no noticeable change in group set up except we didn't have a druid healer on the 10 man run.

All of our issues have been in phase 1 - we stack the sparks great, we run Omen and sometimes a dps will creep up on me but none of us saw anyone pass me in threat in any of the runs and my alarms never went off. He didn't eat a spark at all.

What we have noticed is Maly turning into raid more often then in the past, especially right after Vortexs and taking out usually 2+ raid members and for the life of us we don't understand why.

Now the guild didn't one shot him either him after I switched out, actually last night on 10 man they went at it for another 1.5 hours after 5 wipes with me so they said it wasn't me but I do have some questions I need answered.

1) Does Maly randomly turn into raid during the fight (in the Cider Video Maly seems to turn to raid quite a bit and he rocks as a tank)?

2) I did see my threat fall during the vortex as some caster classes continue to attack - does he wipe aggro after the vortex? I didn't think so but most of our issues was with him turning away from me right after a vortex and into the raid when people's health was low.

For this fight I have 200+ hit and 55+ expertise so threat should be a non issue and it appears that way as well on the Omen meters.

I know I am not providing a ton of info but I'm really looking to understand fight mechanics better here - its just odd that a fight that was on farm for our guild has now become a wipe fest and I am trying to look for reasons why.

Thanks

Bashal
04-09-2009, 09:02 AM
My apologies if this is mentioned elsewhere:

I found out (on a hunch) that a hunter using track elementals can see the power sparks on his minimap. When i do malygos, I usually have a hunter ping the minimap for the tank, which helps the tank out a lot with positioning Malygos.

Hope that helps anyone who is having trouble locating the sparks.

Bashal
04-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Golfgate:

I think maly does sometimes turn to cast that attack (forget the name) that randomly hits a few players, but when he turns for that reason, there's no additional danger to the raid beyond that.

Whenever I've seen Maly turn and nuke part or all of the raid, even recently, was due to player error. An accidental taunt, or in one case, an off-tank put vigilance on another melee DPS. Omen doesn't seem to register the threat transference, so the offtank looked good for threat -- until he pulled aggro and Maly turned and wiped us. :P

If your "farm" group has some newer members, make sure they aren't doing something silly that is causing maly to turn around.

Argamasilla
04-09-2009, 11:29 AM
There is a Known Bug about Mally breathing right after a vortex, it is fixed in 3.1.

In the mean time...

Some suggest that you face the nearest spark while in the vortex, then back up as you land.

What I find works best for me, is to face away from the spark, adjust about 15 degrees to the right, and run forward after the vortex. There are about 2 seconds between when you land and when Mally lands. When he lands, Start strafing left (hence the 15 degree offset) and Mally will move quickly to you and be aligned sideways on the outside of the inner circle.

So far, even when Mally does breath he is far enough from the center (because I ran instead of backed up) that no one but me gets hit. Your mileage may vary, but this method minimizes the RNG of the breath bug.

EDIT: Mally turns / targets raid members to cast his spells. He won't breath at the same time, but it does get the DPS nervous *hehe*

Golfgate
04-10-2009, 05:27 AM
Thanks for the tips guys - we will try it next Tuesday unless 3.1 hits.

Falfiorca
04-12-2009, 06:27 AM
What are the regular requirment to have a successful Malygos raid?
In terms if Hp/Spell Power/Dps etc

Tydri
04-25-2009, 10:42 AM
Do you have to be really geared for this or can you be half geared?

Secundinius
05-08-2009, 12:15 AM
Aggro - Lots of Guilds seem to have this problem, but as many of the more vigilant tanks know, there is always a solution. Since the release of WOTLK, no tanking class has a problem with Single target aggro, just AOE, and this is inevitable if you have around 5 mages spamming blizzard.

If aggro is a problem on malygos, there is a problem with your tanks rotation, or in minor cases gear... Warriors poses the best single target aggro in the game, and the enhancements made to paladins and druids put them right up there, just underneath.

As already suggested, the warrior tank can intervene and put vigilance on your best DPS, and this should pose no problem to threat, if there is indeed a problem, it may be prudent to bring a rogue or hunter with you specifically for their aggro dumps.

The other tanks have to be sightly more attentive to threat than warriors, because they have no "threat reduction" they can attatch to targets. Paladins can cast holy protection on the target with highest threat, because this is an INSTA threat wipe, removing all threat, on top of that, pallys have 2 taunts on individual 8second cooldowns, to even if you have to taunt spam in your rotation, you should be able to hold the threat fine.

The top hunter in my guild busts my chops about not being able to even come close to breaking aggro off me until he is well into full swing, at which point the target is down, if not close to it (I'm a Paladin, btw). Told me this afternoon on some random Heroic badge run I started with a solid 12K threat. Then later, on OS trash and once or twice on Sarth, running as Retribution, I managed to break aggro off the warrior tanks several times, and no, I did not have RF on while running ret.

This said, Even with high initial threat gen, I noticed Maly seems to not pick up on it as quickly for whatever reason, but once he has landed and I get his attention, I won't lose it.

My guild has several 25 man kills, and the three I have been in on have ended up in at least a partial wipe. Our first kill was a full wipe, Maly dying about 10-15 seconds after we did. Second kill one person was able to shield and stay alive till he died. Today, we lost about half of the group and there is a current bug of people not getting mounted upon entering after dying and falling to their death again....

Even when taking our top DPS/heals in, we have not yet successfully taken him out on 10m.

After watching this video again, I've concluded that our overall problem is positioning and landing the sparks. In this video, the sparks are all downed in the middle of the platform and Maly kited around them. I've noticed on my 3 kills, I was unable to stand in the spark to get the buff and still be in melee range, which hindered us, by some amount, and is probably the reason we've been having trouble on the 10m.

Darkflame
05-10-2009, 05:24 AM
My guild is having a problem with the 2nd phase, they run in the bubble but still get hit for 20k+ dmg in a half sec

Dhalphir
05-10-2009, 11:44 PM
Blessing of Protection is not an aggro dump.
I wish I could find out who started this ridiculous misconception and smack them upside the head.

Donkeerula
05-13-2009, 07:40 AM
Hey Cider, Great Vid.

Helped Alot.

Got through 1st and 2nd Stage fine, but cant seem to get through 3rd.
I can Avoid the Spark AOE and take no damage, but when he targets me My shield won't activate, despite the fact that I have full energy :)

Any help would be great, this is the one raid I cant seem to get the achievement for. >:(

reasonyousmile
05-15-2009, 12:28 PM
You know how the DoT requires combo points from Flame Spike for you to shoot it?

Well, your SHIELD also requires combo points from Flame Spike for you to shoot it.

If he targets you, get at LEAST one Flame Spike in while he's casting it so you can turn your shield on when his cast is over (make sure you have cast bars turned on please - don't just hit shield when you see the RW, or you'll waste it).

You'll preferably want to get 2-3 Flame Spikes in before turning on your shield, but you'll just have to "play it as it lies".

Grissome
05-15-2009, 01:54 PM
what is a good spell rotation for heales?

edit----

I ment in the 3rd phase, what is the rotation? Buttons and like wise....I know 1 & 2 are for damage. Rotation there usually goes 1-1-2 and repeat

Inaara
05-15-2009, 02:18 PM
what is a good spell rotation for heales?

Do you mean the drake healers? If so there should be 5 of them, 6 if you're paranoid or people dont move out of sparks fast enough. all they do is hot themselves up to 5 combo points and pop the aoe heal.

Pashmerga
05-15-2009, 05:49 PM
What is that Addon used too tell you your rage, healed, damage taken and damage done? Its floating around your character. I find it very useful.

Thoryan
05-25-2009, 07:10 AM
Great vid Ciderhelm, helped alot. What addons are you using? I like that setup and my old one is harder to deal with.
zack.starrunner213@gmail.com
If you want to email it ^^^ is email.

zacsafus
05-25-2009, 07:21 AM
the addon used to show the damage incoming and outgoing is called MikScrollingBattleText, MSBT for short, you can find it on curse and othr addons site likewse.

Also there is a thread in the UI section, in which Cider has given a detailed accoutn of his UI, you might wanna check that out instead of him emailing you.

ifalcon
05-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Does anti-magic shell work against the magic moves as well? Also, what stats should the tank be going into this fight, in 10 man, with? I'm at around 28.2k hp unbuffed right now, what do I need to be at to tank maly?

linkcon
05-29-2009, 01:56 AM
Hi guys,

my guild are having problems in the 3rd phase.
it not really clear how to heal do you a) stack flame spike then do life burst or b) use revivafy then life burst

can someone please help or point me to a post that will answer my question

thanks alot and great videos guys keep making them

sillypuddy
06-07-2009, 10:27 AM
if you're a tank and you go on the discs who will tank the other lords? or are there only 2 lords that come down?

Surmaaja
06-07-2009, 03:02 PM
2 Lords on 10man.

Linkcon, I stack the hot on myself and then aoe heal, works if your raid knows how to stack up on the healer(s).

tawakhalid
06-10-2009, 04:05 PM
I have a Holy priest, but I'm not sure how to heal raid so fast and heal tank at the same time. Can you please tell me how?

Martie
06-10-2009, 05:33 PM
I have a Holy priest, but I'm not sure how to heal raid so fast and heal tank at the same time. Can you please tell me how?

Well, don't solo heal it, if your raiders take too much damage they may be screwing up somehow, cast instant heals during the vortexes, know what your other healers do.

Hipriestess
06-19-2009, 07:36 AM
I know this is probably just repetition however, while you are trying to still learn the mechanics and lingo for alot of these fights it makes it very difficult sometimes to understand exactly what you are supposed to be doing unless explained in simple form. I have been to Maly several times now and I have yet to have P3 explained in simple form so that I can understand it easier. In other words can someone just say to me ok you either "/follow" a chosen person into P3 or you don't. When I get into P3 for some reason I cannot see where everyone is and therefore I am quick to die. 2ndly, who exactly am I targeting as a healer or dps. Is it the drake or other ppl in the run? I also hear ppl say use the rotation 1 2 1 2 1 1 2 and so on and unfortunately I am usually in a pug so I would greatly appreciate someone telling me the BEST rotation. This is just a very confusing phase to me and its frustrating not to be able to grasp it. I consider myself a very good healer and I usually pick up on the fights after a couple of tries but this one has me. I appreciate any feedback I can get. ty :)

P.S. I use HB for healing but I heard that "grid" is really better. Any feedback on that? Also I ahve gone to curse.com to try and find grid but what I dl-ed doesn't seem to show up. :(

Hipriestess
06-19-2009, 07:45 AM
You can still heal your raid pretty efficiently while keeping hots on the tank that will help. Always keep your tank targeted so that you can keep prayer of mending on he/she and a renew and shield. That keeps you free to keep the others healed and yet give he/she a heal if needed. If you aren't using something like healbot tho it will be more difficult.

Well, don't solo heal it, if your raiders take too much damage they may be screwing up somehow, cast instant heals during the vortexes, know what your other healers do.

Analogic9
07-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Can you tell me if those rifts at the sky ( blue ones ) are where the sparks come from?

marony
07-20-2009, 10:17 PM
I need some info froom soemone who have done the spark son him it would be erally nice to knw my guildies wants me to knw so we can move on.

Waddles
07-25-2009, 04:22 AM
the only problem i have in phase three while healing, is with clique, i use it for healing so im still working out a way to turn it off mid fight, i can change the profile out of combat on it, but during combat it dosn't work :*(

Radhja
07-26-2009, 11:28 PM
Do you have to be really geared for this or can you be half geared?
For 25man, I'd recommend at least 30k health on your MT and at LEAST 18k health on every other raid member (for the vortex aoe damage). Anything less is going to really stress your healers.

For 10man, it's a little less demanding on gear requirements (I tanked Maly with 27k not long after WLK's release, but he had some bangin' healers), but the fight is exactly the same. Raid damage is a serious consideration and if you don't have an exceptional raid healer you're going to rack up the repair bills on this one.

Yeresaijis
08-03-2009, 03:22 AM
Radhja is right. It does't require that much from gear but it does require something. 10 man is really /faceroll in my opinion. I solo healed it for over the last weeks now and and have tanked it in my feral DPS gear with litterly 4 items gemmed / enchanted for tanking, which gave me like 33k health buffed. It was a joke.

For the 25 man it gets a little more tricky. All the damage is increased so if your walking around with 17k health buffed your gonna get pwnd in the vortex or in phase 2 by the scions. However this is how you will deal with the damage. The dps requirements is really low compared with what you could do if you do the encounter exactly as your suposed to do.

For instance, we went to eoe25 3 weeks ago after we cleared ulduar early in the evening. We had 6 healers 3 tanks and loads of melee dps(so see that as a terrible setup). And we finished the fight in 6m and 34s while not even attemting to get a kill close to the 6 min.

EoE is about understanding the game mechanics and how to do a fight probably without making stupid mistakes.

--------------------------------------
Yeresaijis <Gathering> - Lightbringer EU
Resto Druid / Feral DPS

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=Yeresaijis)

pallyman
08-10-2009, 09:56 AM
what would you say the gear/HP requirements are for a tank on the 10 man fight?

Demonicy
08-15-2009, 07:56 AM
Hey i'm a lock and i was wondering who am i dpsing on P2 with the bubbles if i cant target Maly and the melee dps is up fighting on the disks =P

thanks

Rumbler
09-12-2009, 06:05 AM
can u plz explain 3th phaze....healing espacialy....i don`t quite understand what u say it... ? :)

galatheory
09-15-2009, 10:32 AM
Hey ciderhelm, this is my first post. First of all, your a legend, and come higly recommended by nearly everyone in my realm (bloodhoof).
I just wanted to know, when the sparks start to appear, do you move malygos away from the sparks, and if so, in which direction?

Kazeyonoma
09-15-2009, 10:35 AM
malygos will follow you guys, as you move out of the sparks. The general strat is just to stack everyone in as tight a cluster as possible (as seen in the video) and everytime a spark happens, strafe left 20 or 30 yards. and just keep doing this. Malygos will just keep chasing you. There's no need to try to "move" maly.

SewerUrchin
10-05-2009, 11:38 PM
what is the background music from this movie?

schn1216
06-05-2010, 07:23 PM
What addon are you using? that shows the picture of the skill and how much damage you did & same way with heal. what is that called?

Kazeyonoma
06-07-2010, 09:44 AM
probably mik's scrolling battle text?