PDA

View Full Version : Naxxramas Patchwerk

Ciderhelm
11-29-2008, 05:55 AM
This movie is available for direct download for Donors. Click here to learn more! (http://www.tankspot.com/premium.php)

5FCj6PQmQSc

Lower Resolution (Low Bandwidth)
5FCj6PQmQSc

Ciderhelm
11-29-2008, 05:56 AM
Placeholder!

Darbus
11-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Sidenote, though. I''ve never been to old naxx but was told that patchwerk was a nonthreat fight, that the tank who pulled would keep aggro permanently for the most part.

That seems to not be the case in this new version. I've offtanked and main tanked this guy, and have ripped aggro on him when trying to contribue some damage. I suppose the adage of sammiche time on patchwerk will still be the case.

Vern
12-03-2008, 08:42 AM
EDIT: Disregard, my concern was answered in the the video guide.

Hiwashi
12-03-2008, 11:36 AM
My guild did Patch last night ( Heroic )... ouch... that Hateful Strike hits me for 23~26k ( I have 33k HP raid buffed ). ;I

Nuke
12-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Yea the Hateful Strike(Heroic) is a pain. I have about 37k health buffed and my armor was at about 31k-37k the whole fight the heals critting along with chugging the new armor pots (which helped a ton) got us through the fight. O and you might be wondering how you can drink more than 1 pot in the fight. Simply drink the pot prior to pull and then count down will start so roughly you have about 4mins of it.

Mazzy
12-05-2008, 05:34 PM
I used a iron shield potion , shield wall, the new block trinket and Shield block. on the last 5%.
I took 55 damage on a blocked hit. total overkill of cooldowns but it was fun.

10man naxx
as MT

Aly
12-09-2008, 08:07 PM
Out of interest, does anybody know what mod produces that floating combat text shown on these videos?

Lasto
12-09-2008, 08:48 PM
If im not wrong itīs an addon called "MikScrollingBattleText" . you should be able to get it from curse.com if you wanna check it out.

Aly
12-09-2008, 08:49 PM
Thanks, found my way to the UI section of the forum actually. So i kinda already found out.... forum noob :cool:

emillard8
12-14-2008, 09:16 PM
what was your group makeup for this fight? my guild has been having our asses kicked by him in 10mans. we've tried 2 healers (got down to 40% then OOM) then 3 healers (like 20-30%) OOM...and our DPS has a total of about 12k for the group, thats all dps and tanks included.

our makeup-

3- Hunter
1- Lock
1- Rogue
2- Prot Warr
2- Druid Heals
1- Priest heals

is having a Shadow priest or boomkin going to make the mana difference of not going OOM for the last 30% of the fight?

edit*- We've cleared Spider and Plague wings, and up to the horsemen in DK wing to give u an idea where we stand

Gamox
12-14-2008, 11:03 PM
For people having trouble with the healers going OOM or a tank getting gibbed, two weeks ago our group was having troubles and then we popped two Ironshield potions (one just before the pull, another after it ran out like in the video) and also put Amplify Magic on the tanks. Patch doesn't do any magic damage so giving the healers an extra 255 healing really helped. We did it with two healers (Resto Druid/Holy Priest) and one shot it this week with the above tweaks.

Great videos, used them for just about every boss in Naxx!

Horacio
12-15-2008, 06:34 AM
Ah, Patches. I haven't seen him in 10 man yet but got a good long look at him on Friday night in the 25 man version. Our best was a heartbreaking 3% wipe. I'm trying to piece together what happened and what we can fix.

I was the primary hateful soak and I was taking ~23.5k per shot. The third tank was a paladin and he was equal to me in gear or pretty close and was eating 27K hatefuls. /shrug Imp Def stance?

Anyhow, our DPS is strong with a few above 4K for the fight. We have a few weaker links and since we haven't started up the official raid, pugged in some slots. I think our positioning sucks and parry-gibs might have been an issue. The bottom line is that the healers had a hard time keeping up and eventually lost one tank or another and it went down hill from there.

I have made a few more gear upgrades since Friday and gotten my grubby paws on a few stacks to the armor potion.

I guess my main question is: how critical is it to have the OTs behind Patch and out of parry range? Will Patches gaining parry haste speed up the frequency of his hateful strikes?

Vakfaroosh
12-15-2008, 06:40 AM
I have heard that patchwerk does not have a decreased parry swing/gib, however I can not confirm this.

We stack the 3 tanks in front arc anyway and as MT I have never been parry gibbed, his melee does about 8-9k on me, and hatefuls for 20k.... important note, demo shout is HUGE on this fight. I seems to reduce hatefuls by 2-3k.

Also, for the 10 man question above, getting a ret pali, a shadow priest or a surv hunter will give you your regen. Moonkin do not give any regen to the raid.

Shortypop
12-15-2008, 06:49 AM
27k sounds high, its worth remembering a couple of things (I hope I have this all right)
- hatefuls can't crit and cannot be blocked, so a little rearrangement of gear towards dodge and parry could help
- Make sure demo shout and hunter +miss thing is on patch at all times
- Patch doesn't parry gib (there was a blue post confirming this), so if agro's a problems stand your OT's behind with the rest of the melee
- In both our kills we've had two OT's, although I know it can be done with one, if you have two split the healers between the two - keeping up as many buffs as possible: grace, anc fort, sacred shield, even PW:shield as well, especially if one tank is taking much higher damage. I averaged at 23k last week and 21k this week, the DK averaged 18k.
- Use vigi on OTs

While it's a dps race it only becomes a dps once the tanks survive :) Often its more about communication and cooperative healing than anything else (in my limited experience)

Horacio
12-15-2008, 09:59 AM
We've talked about it some on our guild forums. We're going to let the paladin MT with 2 warriors as soaks.

Best attempt (3%)
I ate 38 Hatefuls
I dodged 27.7% of them, Parried 14.5% of them.
Average damage of 24,313

Reviewing the WWS, it appears there there is in fact no real difference betwen the amount of damae the Hatefuls are hitting for but some of it is being blocked accoring to the report.

we'll work it out. Our tanks are well geared but we have a mixed bag of healers at this point. Will improve week to week.

EDIT: I can boost my dodge some more relatively quickly. The badge trinket and swapping to the Arcane Shielded Helm will get me to ~26% dodge buffed. But in doing so, I'll have to drop my 50 stam trinket or Seal of the Pantheon so its a little self defeating. Hrm....

Stoz
12-23-2008, 04:32 AM
we are getting merked on patch werk, in a big way on 25 man
what are the armour pots called ?
we had 4 healers on me the ot (as im better geared) and 3 onthe main pally tank...healers couldnt keep us up, i really dont know if its a healing thing or what.

We stack on top of each other, im gonan try putting vig on the mt this time, always have demo up and using the armour pots

:(

Tonylicious
12-23-2008, 06:22 AM
For 25 man, two OTs is ideal. Gives your healers a little more breathing room to get the OTs healed back up between hatefuls so your melee isn't getting wiped out. Also, while it is nice to dodge or parry hatefuls I wouldn't stack it. Go for higher armor/stam items, also remember that def doesn't matter. Get that armor and HP up as much as you can if the fight is giving you issues. Druids are the kings of OTs for this fight, and if you have good Holy Paladin they should be able to push 6-7k+ HPS for the duration of the fight.

Indescrutible pots on the pull, keep a priest or shaman on each OT to keep inspiration/AF up, and keep 2nd/3rd theat (for the OTs) while not overtaking the MT. Despite what someone said earlier you can block attacks, and definatelly use SB on every cooldown. Try to save major cooldowns for lower %s if at all possible.

If you have the Commendation of Kael'thas it is an amazing trink for this fight, the stam is always welcome and the proc will be up every cooldown virtually guaranteed.

Make sure to fix your gear afterward, I spaced and rocked 534 def for Grobbulus - Thaddius. Didn't notice til I saw one of Thaddius's adds crit me, at which point I chose to let my OT tank Thad... :rolleyes:

Widdox
12-23-2008, 06:33 AM
I'll second the use of indestruct pots. Use just before and at about 35-40% since he will die before the 2mins is out.

This fight is 100% pre healing. If your healers never made it to Sunwell or weren't around back in the MC/BWL days, this might take them a while to learn.

Our healer setup was:
2 priests (1 disc, 1 holy)
2 shamans
2 paladins
1 druid

Druid OT with 40k HP
Me as MT
Warrior as 2nd OT (IE dpsing in prot gear)

all melee takes a dip in the slime to bring them down to half health, and we go.

Not that it mattered but one of our paladins used LoH +armor bonus on the OT at 5% frenzy

Widdox
12-23-2008, 06:40 AM
I also can't stress enough healer diversity. Spliting up healers of like spec/class is a good idea. So that heals tend to land at different times.

Also if you have paladins have them annouce when they are pulling off to beacon so the other healers can be ready.

Meiafx
12-24-2008, 02:21 AM
hi

the video that is shown here save me a ton og nerv for this enounter ^^ a small story to this: on our first try in killing patchwork we a extrem problems the soukertanks died early in the fight the next time the meele dps got one shottet (no clue why that happend) so a couple of later after regrouping our raid pool we try hi again und we killed him first try firstkill well in adavnce of the enrage timmer to be exact 5:22.

our setup:

- 2 deff warriors
- feral druid
- 7 healer ( 2 paladins, 4 priests, 2 restro druids)
- 5 meele DPS ( rouge, enchac schaman, dk ..)
-11 range DPS ( mage , ele schaman, warlock......)

our early consern was that from 4 guides explaining the encounter 3 said patchwerk had 5 min enrage in heroic but in the end it turnd out to be 6 min like in nonheroic

greatz

Viveri
12-30-2008, 03:18 PM
Question, the first time I went Patchwerk in 10 man, the raid leaders told the melee dps to jump in the green water/slime/acid whatever you want to call it. Then told them to jump out so they were lower on health. The leaders told the healers NOT to heal the melee dps to over 50%. I cant remember the reason, something about healing Patchwerk. I have been looking around and havent heard anything about this at all, and after watching the video im going toward the conclusion that it doesnt matter AT ALL what health the melee dps stay at. Is it true because after a couple of wipes, we did eventually kill Patchwerk even with this method. However, I tried today and especially without Heroism its very difficult. I am a balance druid, and I have a very hard time maintaining mana, and run out and become almost useless even with an Innervate with glyph bonus on myself (balance druids dont really have gear with spirit on it). I was just wondering what a good setup would be for this boss and if anyones heard something similar about the melee dps having to stay under 50%? Any response would be great ty :)

Lustriel
12-30-2008, 03:39 PM
Haven't had to many issues with him except for our first kill which we had a weird group make up after that pretty much one shot him with the following makeup. What seemed to help my healers since i was taking hateful strikes was i would have my BoneShield & IBF on a 30 sec rotation and kept all my runes on cooldown so i would have the constant 10% to Parry active.

Tanks
1 Prot Warrior
1 Unholy/Frost DK

Healers
1 Holy Priest
1 Resto Shaman

DPS
1 Ret Paly
1 BM Hunter Or Boomkin
4 Mix of Warlocks/Mages

Viveri
12-30-2008, 09:08 PM
In our various attempts to kill patchwerk, I think our mistake is having 3 healers which means we could have a whole nother person on dps, but would you guys recommend having 3 heals for safety or go with 2 since its mostly a dps race?

Judar
01-01-2009, 08:57 PM
I did this fight just now, and I'm having some kind of issue. Someone suggested an old bug that I could be getting, so I wanted to look around and see if it was happening to anyone. Doesn't seem to be the case though.

I'm the MT and basically, I pull him across the slime like was shown in the vid. But then my net literally tanks, Frame rate hits something around 0.8. I can't see anything going on until the group wipes.

I don't have the best computer, and it could be a bad night for my net. But I've MT'd all the arachnid, half of plagued, and Razuvious fine. Along with Archavon and Sartharion. (All thanks to your videos Cider~)

I'm not sure if it's my game, my comp, my net, my addons, or if it's a bug. We're going again this saturday and at the least, I plan to not pull him across the slime and see how that works.

Anyone know anything?

Grarlex
01-05-2009, 06:17 AM
snip... if anyones heard something similar about the melee dps having to stay under 50%? Any response would be great ty :)
The idea behind that is that if any melee gets 3rd or 2nd (heroic) or 2nd (normal) on threatlist and happen to have more health than the hatefull strike tank(s) they'll be one-shotted. Keeping them at 50% health should improve the chance that they don't.

Grarlex
01-05-2009, 06:23 AM
I'm not sure if it's my game, my comp, my net, my addons, or if it's a bug. We're going again this saturday and at the least, I plan to not pull him across the slime and see how that works.

Anyone know anything?

Keep your disk defragmented (wow stores all data in big files, and patching up will fragment these files). You could also try disabeling all your addons - for MT'ing you should be fine w/o any addons on this one fight. If all else fails try to use the Repair.exe in your wowfolder. This will however remove all your addons so you might want to back them up before you do. If the slowdown only appears pulling him across the slime try to have him MD'd to you while facing a wall or something.

Good luck

Grarlex
01-05-2009, 06:30 AM
I've only seen one response to this thread regarding gear. I've got no tank characters so this is not something I know a lot about, but I've been thinking: wouldn't armor be the thing to stack on this fight? I know health is a good thing and dodge is good aswell. However RNG is RNG and even with 60% dodge you can take 2 hits in a row. My idea is that mitigating more of the hatefull > dodge > stam. Anyone care to share gear details on what they're wearing (or at least Armor, Dodge and Stam values) for this fight?

Hospital
01-05-2009, 03:19 PM
Each week I join a pug for 25 man Naxx seeing as how our guild lacks a few members to do a full 25 man. We have done the pug for about 4 weeks, and in these 4 weeks we have been unsuccessful in killing Patchwerk.

This week, after wiping about 3 times, we brought in a druid tank, and used him as the only hateful-tank, and the difference was huge. With their high health, armor, and dodge, we were able to kill him with only 5 healers. The druids gear is not extremely amazing either, Reveell is his name on Stormreaver.

Just a helpful hint for some groups struggling with this particular boss.Keep in mind if you decide to try this tactic, the tank must have a certain level of gear. (See Reveell on armory for example)

-- Hospital -- (Stormreaver)

Rocki
01-05-2009, 10:23 PM
We run Heroic with 2-3 tanks. If 2, we stick the prot war (we always have one) on MT, and the feral (100% attendance ftw) on Hatefuls. Third tank is then an extra prot war or a prot pala if we brought 3, if we bring 2 it's cause one of our prots is fury. In that case he just stick his tank gear on and acts as buffer for HS, the feral still eats the majority. 5 healers is fine if they're on the ball, one of them being holy pala with beacon really helps (beacon MT, spamheal the druid).

Subtel
01-07-2009, 03:40 PM
We had no problem with patches in normal Naxx, but in 25man it was a total disaster...

4 healers:
-Paladin on MT
-Priest on OT
-2 Shammies on OT

3 tanks: MT Pala with slightly worse gear than OT Warrior and 2nd OT Warrior.

4 melee DPS, rest ranged.

Our main problems was Patches landing Hateful Strikes in melee DPS, which really hurt me cause I'm playing Rogue :/ No matter what we tried, we either couldn't keep DPS HP lower than OT's. Even taking off all stamina buffs and running into that stat-decreasing acid didn't help, he wiped us all over the place.

Can someone tell me what are we doing wrong?

Rocki
01-07-2009, 04:05 PM
For starters I'd stick the paladin on an OT, with beacon on the MT. OTs take more reliable chunks of damage than the MT, making them better suited for beacon spam. Secondly I'd really advise you to get a 5th healer at least. If you're new to naxx25, you might even want a 6th; the fight is very healing intensive, with the need for constant healing to keep tanks high, and the need for good mp5 to not go oom due to non-stop casting.

Tankoom
01-12-2009, 02:33 AM
(25 man patchwek) My guild has been using just one OT, my self ( prot pally ) and warrior MT. Our warrior has about 1k more hp but they say with holy shield, redoubt etc, ill be blocking a bit more and my dodge is a tad higher then his. Weve only tried him three times so far, for a short period of time and the healers just cant keep us tanks up. Im wondering if its easier with 2 ot's. My roomate's guild use to use 2 ot's and 1 mt and they switched to just 2 tanks, they said it was easier for the healers since hatefulls are fast and healers having to switch targets... So my main question is..2 tanks or 3 for 25man?

Shortypop
01-12-2009, 02:35 AM
Just a note you cannot block hatefuls strikes, they can only miss you or you can dodge/parry them :)

Tankoom
01-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Just a note you cannot block hatefuls strikes, they can only miss you or you can dodge/parry them :)

Are you totaly sure about that? Im pretty sure i recalled seeing blocking about 1.5-2k on hatefulls in my log. =\

Krashtork
01-16-2009, 05:58 AM
Here's a WWS parse from the top US guild's tank. No blocks whatsoever.
Wow Web Stats (http://wowwebstats.com/kwietga1vd23y?s=501408-534318&a=x4b294cd#abilities)

Drakani
01-18-2009, 09:00 AM
a quick question, at 5% when patchwerk goes into a frenzy, is it possible for a rogue to dispel it with Anesthetic Poison or is it undespellable?

Muggs
01-18-2009, 09:07 AM
Here's a WWS parse from the top US guild's tank. No blocks whatsoever.
Wow Web Stats (http://wowwebstats.com/kwietga1vd23y?s=501408-534318&a=x4b294cd#abilities)

While getting enough SBV to fully block an attack is rough, you can partial block them.

Mitigation blocked nb 39 % 26.7 % total 107490 total% 15.6 %
Comes straight off the WWS, he partial blocked 39 attacks totaling 107k damage mitigated... I think block is worth it.

Edit: Looks like Graf was the MT and not the OT, the OT is here: http://wowwebstats.com/kwietga1vd23y?s=501408-534318&a=x4b26133 and as you can see it's a pally taking 20k hits that are being partially blocked. I thought 8k was a little low for a 25 man.

Arawn
01-26-2009, 03:14 AM
Our guild's first try on this ended up taking him down. We were interchanging me as a Prot Paladin and a Frost DK. We weren't sure how the threat was going to work, but I ended up grabbing main threat and he took the hateful strikes.

It actually worked out better this way. He has higher parry/dodge than I do and thus was able to flat avoid more hateful strikes while I was mitigating the damage better against the boss. Plus the reflective threat helped keep me in the lead (as well as all of my additional undead killing spells).

The Bu
01-29-2009, 07:21 AM
Hi there All, Ciderhelm first of all I want to say your work in these video's is absolutely phenomenal, i have never donated to any website before now, but your example video's have made me a better tank, thank you for all your work.

Our guild has cleared all 10 mans and are beginning to clear our way through 25 mans, we have done heroic sarth, vaults and spider and plague wings in naxx. We have hit a massive bump in the road trying to get pathwerk down in 25 man. Particularly we are having problems with hateful strikes just owning our melee dps. I will be taking the advice on my fellow forum members here and getting some ironshield potions to make it a little easier, advice on demo shout will help a lot also. Just wanted to check is it important than your 3 tanks are the top 3 on the threat meter for the entire encounter?, could that be a reason our melee are getting smashed by hatefuls because they are too high on threat? Our best attempt we got him down to 3% before he killed us all, but our 3 attempts tonight we couldnt even get him down passed 50 %, and one of our best healers had used all of his mana, plus an innervate and a pot, but just couldnt maintain the heals, he had about 3 mins 30 seconds left on enrage timer, any more advice for this guy particularly in 25 mans?, he is absolute cake for us in 10 man but a real stumbling block here

Angry Grimace
01-30-2009, 10:10 AM
In our various attempts to kill patchwerk, I think our mistake is having 3 healers which means we could have a whole nother person on dps, but would you guys recommend having 3 heals for safety or go with 2 since its mostly a dps race?
On 10 man, 3 heals is usually necessary to prevent mana issues; although if your DPS is fast enough this may not be an issue.

I would simply tell your DPSers to review their rotations if you can't down him with 7 DPS.

rmd83
02-06-2009, 07:02 AM
finally got patchwerk 25 man down with me as mt last night, i saved the armor pot for the last 5% along with popping divine shield then one of our pally healers popped hand of sacrifice/divine protection while dps just burned him down :) he is really fun once you get the hang of things and don't give up. Also having a few mages does help with having 1 in each healer group for mana regen along with druids for intervate

Galexior
02-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Question, the first time I went Patchwerk in 10 man, the raid leaders told the melee dps to jump in the green water/slime/acid whatever you want to call it. Then told them to jump out so they were lower on health. The leaders told the healers NOT to heal the melee dps to over 50%. I cant remember the reason, something about healing Patchwerk. I have been looking around and havent heard anything about this at all, and after watching the video im going toward the conclusion that it doesnt matter AT ALL what health the melee dps stay at. Is it true because after a couple of wipes, we did eventually kill Patchwerk even with this method. However, I tried today and especially without Heroism its very difficult. I am a balance druid, and I have a very hard time maintaining mana, and run out and become almost useless even with an Innervate with glyph bonus on myself (balance druids dont really have gear with spirit on it). I was just wondering what a good setup would be for this boss and if anyones heard something similar about the melee dps having to stay under 50%? Any response would be great ty :)

actually, with wrath, both resto and balance druids benefit from spirit. they get damage/healing (balance/resto) SP equal to 15% spirit.

the 50% thing wiht the melee DPS. the acid/slime/water doesnt do damage itself, it reduces all your stats by 75%, so leaving the stuff after entering leaves you at low health. now that patchwerk is a threat based fight, the slime is not nessesary, but in the pre-bc 40 man naxx, patchwerk's hatefuls go to the person wiht the most health within melee range. if your health was down to (bear wiht me, i wasnt an old school raider, i just wish i was) lets say 2000 (cuz i dont know what the real hp would be) and you had an OT wiht 10k, the OT would take the hatefuls, not you.

Nikolai
02-21-2009, 10:51 PM
Source: EJ Forums (http://elitistjerks.com/f15/t31964-wotlk_naxxramas/p19/)

Mother of god. There's a post 3 pages ago some guy named like Praetorian that explained how hateful strike worked. He does not suffer fools lightly, nor relish explaining himself twice (from what I've seen). I'll try and simplify this EVEN MORE by making a list.

1. Hateful strike is an ability.
2. Hateful strike adds super duper threat to the 2nd and 3rd highest people on his agro list (in 25 man).
3. Hateful Strike hits the person with the highest health of those 2

That's it. No special tricks, no deep breaths, no ancient chinese magic.

EDIT: even better, here's the unabridged text of the two posts so nobody should have to repeat themselves repeat themselves:

The amount of misinformation surrounding hateful strike is amazing, even after 30+ months of original Naxx release.

There are only three viable targets for hateful strike, and these are the three people 2nd, 3rd, and 4th on his aggro list within melee range. Hateful strike will hit the highest HP person out of those 3. Additionally, hateful strike will add threat to the target it hits, which helps keep these tanks on that hateful strike list. This is the reason where if your 3 hateful tanks are low hp, he would still hateful one of them and kill them, disregarding the fact that there were melee dps with higher HP.

Typically, the threat added by getting hit by a HS is more than enough to maintain these tanks on the hateful list, however there were occasions where tanks dropped off the list due melee dps pushing more threat than what HS gave your offtanks, but that was only seen during times where you'd run the old Naxx with level 70 people.

Sinking your melee into the slime doesn't help anyone, it's just stupid and you should quit doing it.

Two corrections:

1) It's only the #2/#3 in 25-man, and #2 in 10-man.
2) When he HSes it actually adds threat to EVERYONE currently in the top 3 (or 2 for 10-man) on the threat-list. This is 100% transparent now. Just watch Omen or other threat-meter, during the fight. Every time he does an HS, everyone at the top of the list will see their threat jump upwards.

Source: Patchwerk - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft (http://www.wowwiki.com/patchwerk)

The 40-man level 60 version of Patchwerk selected hateful targets from the 2nd, 3rd and 4th melee targets on threat, however due to misunderstandings about the mechanics melee DPS would often get the slime debuff to reduce their HP. This misunderstanding has continued to the present today. It is not and has never been necessary for melee DPS to reduce their HP if the tanks are all doing their job.However, wowhead makes no reference to a threat table requirement. I think it's pretty well demonstrated that it shouldn't be necessary to dip in the slime at any point, but can someone clear this up for sure?

Morgo
02-21-2009, 11:28 PM
Tested and tried. like 100 times. don't slime yourself.

Pellet
03-02-2009, 12:38 AM
Our guild is currently getting mangled at HC Patch, were running 2 warrs in equal gear and myself as a Protadin in slightly better gear. They both have more health so they are taking the hatefuls, but one of them seems to always get 1 shotted on the pull, and when he dosen't, patch ends up around 50% before our healers find it hard to pick up the slack.

Threat on patch is not a problem because the pally is MT, but once one of the hateful tanks dies, then our DK's and retridins are being picked off 1 by 1.

The tanks are all geared for Naxx 10 man, and all of us have successdully tanked KT

Karnak
03-14-2009, 01:44 AM
Yesterday I ran Naxxramas as the MT (first time, I am a Prot warrior). Everything went well. When we did Patchwerk I had to OT him, cause my gear was better than the Deathknight's.
My problem is: In our group we only had ranged dd, so the only melee classes where me and the deathknight. When the fight started I mostly could not do anything other than Autoattack one or two heroic strike but thats all. I could not "dps" very well cause I was constantly very very close to the deathknight regarding threat.

Does anyone have an idea how to avoid that?

I read a thread where someone spoke of Patchwerk attackin the one who pulled him, not the one who is first on the aggrolist? Is this for new Naxx also true, or have I to stay second on aggro hence doing only autoattacks?

thanks in advance to all of you
Karnak

Shucks
03-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Alright, last night our guild attempted to down patchwerk in 10 man with myself (prot warriot) as the hatefull tank and a DK as the MT because my gear is much better than his.

We weren't successfull, but my question doesn't have much to do with that because I know the problem was just to low of dps and he kept getting to enrage, my question has to do with how hatefulls work, because what I saw happening seems different from what I am reading here.

On 2 of the attempts to down him the MT died and myself being second on threat moved to the MT position. Now from what I've read that should have automatically made whoever was second on threat after me the new target for hatefulls, but none of our melee dps was getting pwned by hatefulls, it just seemed like I was tanking both hatefulls and normal attacks. On one of our attempts where this happened we got him down from 80% to 10% with myself as the only tank. So is it possible to have just one tank taking both strikes or did patchwerk just bug out on us? The hatefulls weren't seeming to hit me all that hard even when the MT was up and I was for sure the guy taking the hatefulls, so if its possible to do it with one tank taking both strikes might we be better off just using 1 tank and having our DK just dps the fight?

Zepho
03-20-2009, 04:14 PM
what kind of add-ons would you suggest for a dps in this raid? Ive done my fair share of raiding but I'd like something to give me an edge

Pellet
03-22-2009, 04:21 PM
Shucks: It Is Entirely possible to have one tank take both the hatefuls and normal strikes, however if there are any melee dps within patchwerks "arms reach" they will be targeted by hatefuls, The target is the person in melee who has the highest health OTHER than the main tank. So, to be hit by both the hatefuls and by the normal melee, there needs to be only one person in melee range.

I can confirm that this can be done on NORMAL, by one tank. Myself a Protadin (28k Unbuffed health, 26k armour and 22/20/20+30(holy shield) avoidance stats was the only melee member of the party and so could tank both strikes, both the healers just healed through the damage i took, and the DPS had no problem killing patch before the enrage timer.
we had A moonkin, an ele shaman, a mage, a warlock, 2 hunters and a noob DK (we told him to stay out of the fight).

It seems to me Shucks, that your DPS sucks, and if you can't down patch on normal, you should send some of those DPS back to heroics - alternativly, if you feel the reason for your failure is because you only lack a small amount of extra DPS, bring classes with better buffs ie, pally's for Bom/ BoK and Druids for GOTW. Moonkin auras and feral druid auras help ALOT, as well as shaman and DK talent proc's.

Pellet
03-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Zepho, no offence, but if you need an add-on to DPS in a tank and spank DPS race fight, then you obviously need a better rotation/gear upgrade. This fight is the Simplist encounter in the whole of naxx for DPS, as your whole purpose in this fight is to kill Patchwerk as fast as possible.

uglybbtoo
03-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Shucks: It Is Entirely possible to have one tank take both the hatefuls and normal strikes, however if there are any melee dps within patchwerks "arms reach" they will be targeted by hatefuls, The target is the person in melee who has the highest health OTHER than the main tank. So, to be hit by both the hatefuls and by the normal melee, there needs to be only one person in melee range.

There goes that myth again the hatefull strike target is 2nd on threat within melee reach HP has nothing to do with it.

sangeface
06-03-2009, 01:23 AM
hello everyone

atm i have only done nax as dps with the guild, i have never tanked in nax yet, Hoping to do it soon :) once my gear is better

With the 2 tanks, 1 takes the melee and 1 takes the hateful strikes, does the tank (OT) that takes the hateful strike taunt him when he does it or does patchwerk go for the other tank automaticaly assuming the OT should be second on the threat meter?

sangeface
06-03-2009, 01:28 AM
aaaa ignore my previous post, didn't realize there was 3 pages on this forum, just looked at the other posts and got my question answered, sorry everyone and tankspot for the pointless post lol

new to forums btw :)

dragonreaper
07-09-2009, 02:27 AM
i keep hearing patchwerk's hateful strikes are based off health, or its based off threat... im not to sure, but i remember i was fighting patchwerk once, and suddenly died. my health was topped off at right over 28k. and im DPS. i took a hatefull strike, thinking one of the tanks taking those hits had died. but nope, both were still up, and since beginning of fight i had been 5th on the threat meter.. im not saying the health thing is true, i dont know what happened.. but if its not the health bit, then why would they have the green liquid drop your health so much? and its strange that patchwerk is the only boss in naxx that you fight next to the green water. why not kill the myth on wether or not its health based, or threat based. and give an actual link FROM BLIZZARD that states so.. and not from a website that someone who doesnt work for blizzard made. if there is a blue post on the forums about said argument that tells exactly how it works. awesome. or if blizzard released somewhere the mechanics of this boss. but unless it is actually from blizz itself, and not from a private party who posts what they believe, or what other people have posted.. i can only go by what i have witnessed. i didnt get to do much raids in pre-BC. but naxx was originally a pre BC raid.. from what some have told me, not much has changed. i dont know, i didnt get to raid pre BC naxx. but what i have learned from other pre BC raids, is if your fighting a boss, and there is an item, or something close to said boss, then you usually need to use that thing, or what ever it is. so im looking at patchwerk, and here is this green water that will drop you health by half.. one side of the myth is that he hits the person with highest health... maybe its just me, but i see that this water is tied into the boss fight. i hear recently that they did change it so you dont have to dip into the water.. if they did, then at one point it was health based. but again, im still not sure, and can only go by what i have seen. if someone can post more info on this subject, that would be great to.

hola_adios
07-09-2009, 03:06 AM
Is this in 25 man? If it is all 3 tanks have to be in front.

If it is 10 man, you went ahead and did not realise.