PDA

View Full Version : Naxxramas Gluth

Ciderhelm
11-29-2008, 05:32 AM
This movie is available for direct download for Donors. Click here to learn more! (http://www.tankspot.com/premium.php)

2SOAxujWmUs

Lower Resolution (Low Bandwidth)
2SOAxujWmUs

Ciderhelm
11-29-2008, 05:32 AM
Here's the original 40-man encounter, for anyone interested:

ETGluth.wmv - FileFront.com@@AMEPARAM@@http://static.filefront.com/ffv6/player/vp_embed.swf?v=859406@@AMEPARAM@@static.filefront. com/ffv6/player/vp_embed.swf?v=859406

Marrick
11-29-2008, 07:21 AM
As an aside, I like what you're doing now with nesting the video on the second post. Keeps the front page a lot less cluttered.

Ciderhelm
11-29-2008, 08:08 AM
Added 40-man Gluth movie. :p

Killuha
11-29-2008, 09:17 AM
Paladins should definitely use Holy Wrath for the decimate, even as a tank I was able to get to the zombies and drop a HW and get back to taunt gluth off in time, you just have to time the taunts with the other tank.

Ion
11-29-2008, 09:26 AM
Rogues did get anesthetic poison, our rogue used it on the encounter...was very effective.

Rak
11-29-2008, 03:59 PM
Fear ward cheaters! =P

Taowlie
11-29-2008, 04:36 PM
Rogues poison is called Anasthetic Poison, it works even on 25 man. It's nice to use as hunters aren't always in range due to dropping traps, and on 25 man the enrage severely boosts Gluth's damage.

Anesthetic Poison II - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=43237)

Tenaciouzd
11-29-2008, 10:22 PM
Anesthetic poison also removes the 5 minute enrage on 10 man, never done 25 man yet.

Rak
11-30-2008, 01:13 AM
It removed the 5 minute enrage in 25 man tonight. Pretty weird.

Worldie
11-30-2008, 10:18 AM
A interesting note... Divine Shield does not remove the zombie's debuff nor Mortal Wounds. Cant' speak for CoS.

Porcini
11-30-2008, 03:10 PM
Gluth doesn't appear to be fearing you - has this changed?

Rak
11-30-2008, 03:32 PM
There's no fear in 10 or 25 man.

Porcini
11-30-2008, 04:44 PM
lame :|

Darksend
12-02-2008, 01:55 AM
WTB NEW BEAR FORM

o right

nice work as with all these vids keep up the good work

Warstomper
12-02-2008, 05:18 AM
If you jump out of the tube as far as you can(as the tank) you can charge gluth while falling down, without taking the 5k fall damage. It's not much, but it might help :)

Ciderhelm
12-02-2008, 05:19 AM
If you jump out of the tube as far as you can(as the tank) you can charge gluth while falling down, without taking the 5k fall damage. It's not much, but it might help :)
This is true, though if a healer casts a heal to top people off while in the tube, Gluth will evade the charge since he'll be targeting the healer which he is unable to attack.

Magnuss
12-02-2008, 05:31 AM
I have to say something that has been incredibly helpful for our kiting experiences is to have a deathknight with you. We have a mage and a deathknight dedicated to chows. The mage slows them down with whatever he can and the DK makes sure that anything that gets too close to him either gets deathgripped or smacked and kited back (keeping it off the healer aggro). This works especially well right before the decimate to snag up any chows which might be especially close.

wrathknight
12-02-2008, 05:39 AM
I have a question on raid make up. We did gluth several times last night got him to 10% and had trouble after that due to healers oom and little miscommunication on which tank had threat due to taunt (but we fixed that issue quickly). We had two healidan's and resto sham. The kite event in the back area was going well after kiters started getting there dance down. Your vid was perfect and straight forward thanks

Hylune
12-05-2008, 04:38 AM
Thanks for your video guides, it's very clear and very helpful.

The kiting is hardly seen from the MT point of view though.

I guess, someone picks up the adds and circles in the back of the room slowing them as much as possible.
At this stage, the raid is still focusing Gluth and the adds are only really killed after a Decimate has down them to 25 000 hp.
Am I right ?

Thanks again for your help ^^

PS: off topic question, what is the Add On in the middle of your screen which includes life bars and key action buttons ?

Darksend
12-06-2008, 03:00 AM
the debuff always resets at 4 seconds, even in the 25 man we had the offtank a DK in full dps gear with dpsing the entire fight, i would count down at 11 seconds with a 4 stack, he would taunt right at 6 seconds, get hit once i would taunt back imediatly as soon as he got the debuff, and even with the debuff still on me and it would clear before he refreshed it.

so you do not really need an offtank

Horacio
12-22-2008, 08:59 AM
Will probably be taking this thing on in 10 man tonight and my raid makeup is a little troublesome. I am leaning toward having a DK aggro the chow and a resto shaman healing him as well as dropping Earthbind. I have no mage and the hunter is going to be a sub. He can drop back and place a trap every CD. That leaves a tree and a CoH priest on the tanks.

Our DPS output is not particularly high and I am pretty much forced to turn my rogue loose to go ape on DPS or the overall DPS will be weak, so the FoK + Crippling is out. Actually, I have 2 rogues for tonight, both high damage/stud players. It might work out ok. We'll see.

Starsnuffer
12-23-2008, 12:18 AM
As much as I like the normal way of doing things......got a little frustrated tonight with my group and ended up I was gonna kite the adds (prot war) after a few attempts with mages, pally, dk variations. raid setup was:
2 prot war
2 mage
2 holy pally
1 holy priest
1 shadow priest
1 enh shaman
1 dk
through charging, tc, ht, and /point laughing i kept the adds on me and maxed out the debuff by the end.......first try this way and he went down....dunno if that'll help anyone but just wanted to get it out there that if a prot war can do it anyone can....well maybe not anyone.....and to keep the ms from stacking too high the dk would taunt off long enough for it to wear off....

Tonylicious
12-23-2008, 07:50 AM
I'm a big proponent of prot warrior add kiting also. I do it in 10 and 25 mans. Resto Sham/Me in 10 and Resto Sham/Mage/Me in 25s. Its one of the more fun things to do in the instance imo.

Ended up with only 40 stack in 10 man, though our DPS is pretty strong.

25 man I usually get nearly maxed out. 90-95 stacks.

Hellfire555
12-23-2008, 08:32 AM
I've recently joined a raiding guild on "Gisok" My 80 hunter, and am put in charge of solo kiting the adds on Gluth, You guys seem to brush it off a bit like it is no big deal. I am, however, finding it increasingly difficult. Holding aggro, not getting hit too much so that the healers can keep up, and all the same trying to keep aggro off the healers, it seems a bit obsurde to me that anyone could solo kite this well just on any average spec. Now, that being said, i have a pretty nice KITING ONLY build i have constructed for this fight only. The problem is that it seems a bit superfluous for me to be switching speccs for this one fight. Now i can't help but get the feeling i'm doing something wrong. I am an MM hunter, when kiting i use every instant cast shot i have to get aggro, frost trap as often as possible to make a perfect kiting area, and disengage whenever it's off cooldown to get some distance between me and the zombies. But seeing as i have no points put into improving my traps, nor my disengage, nor, really, any of my kiting ability (not exactly usefull in traditional raiding) i can't help but think that i would have to switch specs to fill this role. Please post your thoughts :) -Sorry this message was soooooo long

Vinyen
12-23-2008, 12:52 PM
I as well an had issue kiting gluth on my first attempt. I've been looking all over for a video of it being done. I was able to find a video of a paladin doing it, and I think I'm ready for it this week. However, a video of a hunter doing it would still be useful (as I may still fail this week), and surely would do the same for other hunters with the same problem in the future.

firelighting
12-23-2008, 01:23 PM
One thing i had seen that holy damage is less resistances then spell damage in the warth lich king raid. But I am not full sure what is percent def resistancesoff fire /frost/ nature/ arcane /shadow vs holy damage
the boss. In know also with raid setup in for what class/spec for raid instance we running
I think that because about 80-90% naxx is undead a ret pally both hybor priest spec holy /Discipline for incearse holy spell dmg / crit will be high more effect.

Kheapathic
12-24-2008, 05:13 AM
I got the privilege of solo-kiting the chows tonight for our last 10-man before the holidays. The fun part was I had my own healer to make sure I was alive. I spec crappy for raid dps but I prefer it because I am massive utility as a 0/0/71 Frost mage. I can't say for hunters or other classes but a mage can definitely solo it if they're comfortable with their spec and mass kiting. Though I will admit I died right at the end because I miss clicked blink and ran right into the group of chows.

Faldron
12-24-2008, 11:26 AM
My guild has had success with the Gluth fight over the past 3 weeks. Our first two weeks fighting him, we one-shotted him each time. Last night, however, we were unable to get him down below 25% despite several attempts.

Our raid leader is a mage who has kited the Zombies for each of the 3 weeks. He says he noticed a change in the zombie's behavior this week - they were much more difficult to kite and keep off the healers. The healers would go OOM healing themselves from zombie attacks, and at Devistate, a tank would get smooshed while at the 5% health.

We've had so little trouble with the fight the weeks of 12/9 and 12/16; but then we get repeatedly stumped this week. Has anyone else noticed a change in the Gluth fight - specifically in the behavior of the Zombies?

Our raiders are the same from previous weeks, and everyone's in the same role. I'm wondering if the fight got hotpatched to correct some behavior of the zombies. That, or perhaps our healer's upgrades have starting to produce larger heals and more aggro.

Any other mage kiting tips?

Kheapathic
12-24-2008, 05:37 PM
Any other mage kiting tips?

This may sound a little biased towards what I play but it's what I know and how I do it. I play a 0/0/71 Frost, the spec isn' ideal as the cookie cutter arcane-fire or the new frostfire spec. But when it comes to kiting, survival and playing games with mobs who aren't immune to slow I shine. Some stuff your mage kiter should look into are;

Frostbite (3/3)
Ice Flows (3/3)
Perma Frost (3/3)
Arctic Reach (2/2)
Frost Channeling (3/3)
Ice Barrier (1/1)
Cold Snap (1/1)
Cold as Ice (2/2)
Improved Blizzard (3/3)
Shattered Barrier (2/2)
Chilled to the Bone (5/5)
Improved Water Elemental (3/3)

Glyph of Water Elemental
Glyph of Evocaion

Now your kiter should have his three mana gems, mana potion/injector and Ice Armor and Ice Barrier up as often as possible. On the 10-man I've notice that the chows only spawn from the middle grate (so you know where to watch). The armor and barrier are a passive slowing device agains the chows, if they hit you they'll be slowed. When they shatter the barrier it's like getting a free frost nova.

To grab a chow I find a few icelances work well, or if it's a fresh group (after devastate) a frostbolt is ideal as it has a slowing effect. The main thing you'll want to do is backpedal away from them and cast Cone of Cold. With all the talents affecting your chill duraton and speed you can walk backwards and they won't catch you. With the cooldown on cone of cold reduced you can also apply it before it wears off on your chows.

Now your tools are your elemental (a ranged frost nova) that has a two minute cooldown and its duration one full minute. Frost Nova which is a mage staple. Blink which is useful if you have a group of chows and you need to turn the group around but can't get around them. And if your HP gets dangerously low and your designated healer is pre occupied, nova them and evocate (glyph of evocation heals your hp).

Now to deal with the devastate, nova them to hold them in place. Hit them with blizzard, the improved blizzard talent will help slow their race to Gluth and each tick has a chance to hold them in place if you put points into the frostbite talent.

That's all I can think of right now, my keyboard is acting funny so if you spot spelling errors please let it slide a bit. If there's anything else I can think of later I'll add it in.

Wao
12-25-2008, 12:07 AM
Paladin kiting is probably the easiest simply because consecrate does your job for you after you leave. Encourage them to re-glyph to the longer duration consecrate for this fight. The real trick is finding a paladin that truly understands how to circle strafe without ever getting dazed. I used to kite all these guys as a holy paladin in 40-man Naxx.

If I had a paladin to play, I'd make a video of the kiting like nobodies business.

Mortalenemy
12-25-2008, 08:27 AM
So I ave readthe thread and wasn't able to find the info on how much the chows actually hit, is 1 hit survivable for a squishy kiting mage, how hard do they hit on the kiting classes (mages, Hunters, and a tank if you have one for chows)? Any info would be great.

Neofrascati
12-25-2008, 09:31 AM
Nice Work !

Inaoe
12-25-2008, 09:44 AM
So I ave readthe thread and wasn't able to find the info on how much the chows actually hit, is 1 hit survivable for a squishy kiting mage, how hard do they hit on the kiting classes (mages, Hunters, and a tank if you have one for chows)? Any info would be great.

Without the debuff they seem to hit for about 1500-2000 damage on cloth/leather. But the real problem is the stacking debuff they leave with every hit that increases the damage taken by 100 per stack (max. 99). So, you can take some hits, but at some point it's not healable anymore.

Boozefighter
12-26-2008, 07:21 AM
I kite on my DK, for this one. I have a Hunter or Shaman toady frost trap/earthbind and I dance in circles for the duration of the encounter...refreshing DnD when up...DG the stragglers...rough stuff

Eloc
12-29-2008, 12:50 AM
I had an interesting experience in 10 man Gluth tonight. This was our first night attempting this, and after several wipes we were having a really good attempt. However, on the second Decimate, our OT died. We were worried that it was going to be a wipe, but we kept going anyway. Our MT was topped off, and healers kept him that way until he had the 100% debuff. I just sat there stop casting until I could cast a heal, and we managed to heal through a few more stacks. Gluth was downed, and the remaining 5 member or so managed to burn the rest of the zombies down, including a new one that spawned. It was an epic kill, although no one could use any gear that dropped. We may do this from now on, as an extra dps may help a lot.

Neofrascati
12-29-2008, 07:36 AM
I kite on my DK, for this one. I have a Hunter or Shaman toady frost trap/earthbind and I dance in circles for the duration of the encounter...refreshing DnD when up...DG the stragglers...rough stuff

I don't think the Kite of Zombie is too hard, we farm Gluth both 10 and 25man and use the avaible class we have at the moment of the encounter, so i don't think there's a specific class for kiting, with a Sham and an Hunter it's rly simple I suggest you to kite them in a eight-way path around the hole, lol wait I wrote in a brutal mode :V I post an img so it's isi to understand :)

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/904/gluthnew1wb5ov7.jpg

Horacio
12-29-2008, 08:16 AM
We got our first shot at Gluth 10 man last night and it proved difficult for us, just handling the zombie chow. We used a fire mage and then added an elemental shaman to the mix and together they had trouble holding threat off of the healers and staying alive.

I suspect its more a matter of them figuring it out and getting it down. I'm sure the mage would have an easier time if he were frost as opposed to fire. Other than that, Gluth is a big wuss. He hits fairly weak (rogue poison kept the enrage in check) and healing up decimate was not an issue.

UWSkeletor
12-30-2008, 08:47 AM
This is true, though if a healer casts a heal to top people off while in the tube, Gluth will evade the charge since he'll be targeting the healer which he is unable to attack.

Ah, I wondered why he evaded on me when I charged last night.

We have whoever the OT at the time of decimate is go and help kill some of the zombies. It's not much, but a few extra TC's and Shockwave helps out that extra little bit.

Rithgor
01-02-2009, 01:06 PM
can anyone make a suggestion on how to due this with a melee heavy group?

our typical group is

pally tank
dk tank
rogue
rogue
ret pally
blood DK
BM Hunter
Holy Priest
Resto Shammy
Holy Pally

Kheapathic
01-02-2009, 08:40 PM
can anyone make a suggestion on how to due this with a melee heavy group?

our typical group is

pally tank
dk tank
rogue
rogue
ret pally
blood DK
BM Hunter
Holy Priest
Resto Shammy
Holy Pally

Hmmm, well the best advice I could give is your kiter will be the hunter. To assist the hunter, have the resto shaman drop earthbind totems just north of the grate where the zombie chows spawn. The hunter can drop/shoot frost traps and kite the chows near the totem.

Wrosh
01-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Alternatively you could also let the Retri paladin equip his tanking gear, activate his Righteous Fury so he won't lose aggro and have him run around the frost trap. As a kiter myself I prefer frost traps over earthbind totems because I can see where the effect ends which I can't with the totem.

The benefit of this is that you will not have the problem that your kiter loses mobs to the healer and he will be able to take more hits due to his armor. He should not have problems with picking up the mobs due to consecrate / exorcism / judgement.

Lothip27
01-04-2009, 12:34 PM
My guild has gotten the 25 portion of Naxx down to an art. On our off nights, we are doing 10s to strengthen our raid back-ups as well as test members for raid back-up positions. The group I have put together isn't the best group for Gluth. We managed to one shot every other boss so far. Here is what the group looks like.

Feral Druid MT
Prot Warrior OT
Enhance Shaman
Enhance Shaman
Ret Pally
Shadow Priest
demo/destroy lock
CoH Priest
Disc Priest
Resto Shaman (me)

Any suggestions, other than sub people out? Next week, I replace one of the enhance shamans with an Ele shaman. But for the remainder of this raid week, I have the above group. Thanks for your time and help.

n0point
01-05-2009, 02:48 AM
Gluth became a rather pain in the neck for my group yesterday. Most of our dps are melee, we do have a hunter who attempted to solo kite the chow with little success. Today we'll probably send the shammy whos been doing the MT healing to assist the hunter. Thanks for all your advise and a great vid, it has been very helpful. This is pretty much the only place i go to get the tactics for naxx bosses(I am a relatively new player, havent been around to see the 40men live)

Listerfiend
01-08-2009, 08:28 AM
Our guild did this for the first time last night on 10 man and it wasn't too bad.

I was the kiter (ret in dps gear). It was a bit difficult but totally soloable. We had a hunter dropping frost traps on CD and a shammy healer on me.

Had all the healers and ranged stack up and I dropped a consecration on them. A little further back from them, hunter dropped traps. I just did laps around the trap, dropping consecration everytime i got back to the healers.

If the mobs ever get too close and start to hurt you (and they will) use holy wrath to stun them and get away. If holy wrath is on CD, use HoP and pray.

Try to save holy wrath for desimates if possible to give dps more time to kill the chows.

TLDR: Ret kites around a frost trap with consecrate. Stack up ranged. Use holy wrath.

Voydangel
01-08-2009, 12:28 PM
My guild has downed this in both 25 man and 10 man. however....

I've been running a new group of people in 10 man mode to get them geared up and get them experience with the instance...it has been going great until Gluth. I (a prot pally) successfully kited the mobs (to show others how to do it) until i had over 60 stacks of the debuff on me with only 1 hunter using his slowing trap to help me out. But I'm technically the MT, so that attempt didnt work for obvious reasons. Anyway, I was curious if someone would be so kind as to make / post a video from the point of view of the zombie chow kiter/healers. It would also be greatly appreciated if there was commentary about which classes are are used to slow down the chow, and the timing of the abilities used to do so - as that seems to be the primary issue with my group.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers

n0point
01-12-2009, 05:03 AM
Continuing my earlier post about my group-of-ten...We succesfully killed gluth with some changes to the kiting setup on the first pull. unfortunately or shammy healer left the group that day and was replaced with a redto druid. The kiting went well without him with DK kiting and a hunter assisting him with slowing.

This week we changed the group setup to make space and let some other people gear up. Gluth was killed on the second pull with the same DK kiting him and a frost mage assisting him with novas and pulling mobs of healers. The debuff did reach a high number of stacks on the dk both times but the damage was supprisingly easy to heal through with 1 healer assisting him while 2 others being on the MT and OT.

Also for the decimate. We lacked AOE dps this week but found that boomkins tsunami can help a LOT.it gives us lots of extra time since it pushes all the chow back if they are in a tight group(as they should be).
After these two weeks gluth has been moved to farm-bosses category for us )

08havoc
01-19-2009, 07:59 PM
Any helpful hints for kiting as an Frostfire mage with no hunter? Were a bit short on hunters atm. For 25 man. I'm not speced into improved frostbolt at all. With haste its still at 2.78 sec cast on either.

zaltais
01-21-2009, 09:25 AM
If you are looking for videos that show the kiting of the zombie chows on Gluth, try:

Gluth 10-man hunter kiting

Krashtork
01-23-2009, 02:46 AM
Good vid, but tips for the 25 man would be appreciated. There's a LOT of zombie chow to deal with for 25s.

Chromax
01-26-2009, 04:39 PM
For the 10 man chow, we use a tank to hold them in place at the back of the room until the Devistate. This tank then switches with the OT(usually a DK/Feral) for the next Zombie spawn rotation to let the debuff expire. Rinse and repeat.

We will be doing the 25 man for the first time next weekend. Using a mage/pally/healer combo with the same OT rotation to remove the debuff. I will post after we down him and let you know the details.

Jafakar
01-27-2009, 07:05 AM
While we don't have problems with other bosses, we do seem to have problems with Gluth in the 25 man version of naxx.

The problem we are having is too many zombies coming out of the grates. I am a prot paladin and was dropping concencrate with righteous fury up to pull aggro, but it seems like the zombies are coming out of the grates faster than they can be grabbed.

Does anyone know if the zombies come out of the grates in a specific order?

I have even looked into getting the glyph to extend the duration of concencrate to see if that helps.

Any tips on kiting for the 25 man version since the 3.0.8 version would be helpful.

Thanks!

Atherstone
01-30-2009, 01:00 PM
Hey all - looking for suggestion on Zombie Chow kiting in 10 man . . . Group makeup is -

2 - Prot Paladins (could be 1 - Prot Warrior & 1 - Prot Paladin)
2 - Holy Paladins
1 - Feral Druid (possibly 2 at times)
1 - Mage (unsure of spec, might be 2 - Mages at times)
1 - Death Knight (unsure of spec)
1 - Holy Priest
1 - Rogue (unsure of spec, occasionally available)

Obviously this doesn't add up to 10, but that is the bulk of classes that make up our group, give or take a Mage, Druid or Warrior at times. It isn't always the same group, but usually has the same available class types.

We made an attempt several times last night to take down Gluth, best being getting him to 16%. We started with 2 mages and a Holy Paladin working on Zombie detail, with the Priest assisting the Holy Paladin with heals from time to time. Two Prot Paladins as MT and OT switching back & forth on Gluth and a dedicated Holy Paladin healer for them. We also had a DK, Druid & Rogue DPSing Gluth. The 2 tanks were doing well switching back & forth, the tank healer was keeping up heals on the tanking/DPS group fairly well with an assist every now and then by the Priest. It seemed we could get through about 2 Decimates and we would loose one of the Mages due to the debuff stacking up too much for the Holy Paladin to heal through, then on subsequent Decimates Gluth would end up getting a snack or two and healing himself back up a bit, we might get through one or two more decimates and would eventually start loosing the war with Zombie kiting, tank healer getting aggro on the Zombies and wipe.

Any suggestions, help, experiences, etc. on kiting with this type of group makeup? It seemed after the first Decimate, the tank healer was really starting to take damage from the Zombies because of healing aggro. For some reason we would always loose one of the mages that was kiting about halfway into the fight. The tanking was working out well, even healing on the tanks seemed to be working well.

I apologize for the monster post but ANY help, suggestions with the classes I have listed would be very grateful.

Thank you very much in advance . . .

n0point
02-02-2009, 02:55 AM
This week I mooved to raid with our weeker group, since i no longer need anything in 10man and have to help gear up others before we are safe to do 25 naxx. Gluth was indeed a little stressful, since I was used to having no problems at all with him with my previous group(check earlier posts).

Atherstone. Try to leave more DPS on GLuth - he shouldnt survive long enough for you to go through 4-5 decimates. Usually he s down after 2-3. Out mage had some trouble with kiting them, so what we did(remembering our success in th stronger group with a DK) was as follows.

Dk was kiting the chow with a shammy healer laying totems and healing him. Our only mage stayed on the boss, but occasionally blinked back to where the chow was, used frost breath sometimes nova(if things were bad). Before the decimate the DK rounded the chow up and after the decimate mage novad them again for us to burn them down. Chow never got close to Gluth. It did take 2 pulls for the DK to get used to kiting.

Now in your lineup you dont have anything to constantly slow down the chow, so ts a little trickier. if 1 mage iavailable - he stays on the boss with occasional blinks to slow and nova the chow. Leave 1 healer on the DK kiting.

The rogue should use anesthetic poison on 1 hand to take care of the mini-frenies. He(she) can apply crippling on the other and sometimes run through the chow crowd and do an aoe to try and poison most of them to slow them down. Now, this is just off the top of my head, I play a rogue, and knowing mechanics of our skills i think this might help you slow down the chow. The rogue should use agro redirect on the DK before the aoe though, since its most likely to pull a couple of the chow.

Sorry for typing things like aor or agro redirect instead of skill names - I play on a russian sever since WOTLK and have no idea how the new skills are called in english ((

Hope this helps.

Atherstone
02-02-2009, 04:02 PM
n0point - Great ideas, thank you for the suggestion and I will pass them along to the raid leader and group. Seems kiting with a DK is fairly popular and successful. We haven't been doing anything with the frenzies, usually just healing through them. We will have to try the rogue skill on Gluth to cancel them, that will make the tank healing smoother.

Zellviren
02-03-2009, 10:01 PM
I took a different attitude to this particularly annoying encounter. The bottom line is that our kiters (no frost mage, so we used hunters) were having too much trouble and couldn’t seem to keep themselves alive. It was no use saying “you have to get this right, it’s your job”; we simply needed a way to deal with the zombie chow.

Check out my Gluth kills on the armoury. :D

Basically, as previously suggested, I tanked them. I had our death knight put on his tanking gear to off-tank Gluth (paladin as MT) and I picked up the zombies. Naturally, Taunt, Thunderclap and Demoralizing Shout were my mainstays and I found that I did, indeed, have to physically kite them to help the healer out sometimes. Shockwave also happens to be fantastic for stunning all the zombies while they get nuked down after Decimate. The simple fact here, though, is that we got him down.

I’ve said nothing new here, but I just want to establish the fact that the zombie chow can be (pretty much) conventionally tanked if your kiters are having too many snags.

It’s not ideal, but it’s worth consideration if all else is failing.

Huffeluffe
02-13-2009, 02:05 PM
Is it possible to remove the debuff the zombie chows gives you were having some problems with it in our guild since we lack a hunter and mage have been having some probs with aggroing them or isnt it possible for a melee dps to take them becouse of debuff?

dark_kira
02-15-2009, 09:34 AM
off topic here but can anyone identify ciderhelms ui mod?

metzy
02-16-2009, 06:12 AM
A note on raid setup for gluth. We allways goes with 2 tanks for naxx, but for gluth 2 1/2 meaning: The MT on gluth with a feral drood (kitty-dps in bearform) to taunt of for the debuff and a prot pally to take care of the zombie chow. this tactics have proven very effective for us so thought i would share it here :)

Xanos
03-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Cider what raid frames are you using in this video in the top left. I think i like it better than grid.

We'll be trying Gluth tonight. My OT is actually going to kite (another Prot pally) and our DK is going to pop some def gear on and OT while my stacks go down. Hopefully this works out.

Senti
03-04-2009, 06:52 AM
Gluth is probably one of the hardest fights in the instance if I had to pick. My group usually does this with a mage kiting but unfortuneately they always rely on heavy assisstance (IE a hunter bouncing between tranq shot, DPS, and Frost traps; a top DPS ele shaman [me] dropping DPS to run to the back of the room to drop earthbind*; and a key healer doing the same in a different spot to get a bigger slow area). You'd think that this would be a sure fire method but it's not uncommon for us to wipe on Gluth 3-5 times which is frustrating, expensive, and a waste of precious time.

That said alot of the posts I'm reading up on have got me to thinking on some what I feel key points to this fight for 10 man at least.

Of the various slow/root effects the top ones are frost trap and those that come from mages. Now why not earthbinds you ask? First of all because they proc slowly, not entirely sure but as a shaman I can say that about half the time mobs will get through about half of the effected area before the totem procs it's slow on them. This in itself might not be so bad, just keep them slowed, however you also can't see where the effected area is exactly. Additionally there's the DPS or healing loss of having a shaman move to where you need the totem which personally is about a 4-600 drop in DPS (but that could just be that we like to kite them quite far back).

Your earthbind(s) should be used as back up, they're there with the casters if there's no other option and they let a healer who gets a zombie move around a little bit until your kiter snatches up the sneaky little bugger. Also be aware of knockback effects (ele sham, druid, fire mages) which can be used as a last resort especially after decimate.

As for which class specifically to have kiting, I wouldn't recommend mages first of all. They don't have the HP or the armor neccessary to take hits and even the best kiters will end up taking hits with the sheer number of zombies. The ideal class really has to be a hunter. They have ranged attacks which deal a high amount of threat (very neccessary for grabbing up the zombies, a great deal of my group's problem is lack of threat from the kiter), they can slow the zombies on command, they have enough health and armor to shrug off the occasional hit, and of course disengage is as awesome as blink for kiting.

Regardless of who you have kite, run speed increases. I know for a fact there is a meta gem out there for just this, put it on a spare helm and wa-la. The effect probably isn't all that great but an oddball fight like this every little bit counts.

As a last minute note your kiter needs to remeber that more than like there will be a 100% HP zombie spawning while you're trying to AOE the weakened ones, they can not get carried away with AOE and let the zombie run around loose.

Galexior
03-09-2009, 04:22 PM
we did gluth last night, and my DBM was off on the decimate timer. it wasnt jsut a second or 2. it waas a big difference, up to 20 seconds. is any else having this issue? how would i go about fixing this, or is it a simple redownload?

Kyoki
03-09-2009, 04:25 PM
get a fury warrior with piercing howl to do the kiting, either that or a ret pally in tank gear works aswell except you need the hunter traps or a shamen to drop his totem.

Horacio
03-23-2009, 06:18 AM
Successfully solo tanked Gluth on 10 man last night. It was out of need and not to see of we could do it or anything but we had a couple of subs last night and I realized after we had killed Grobs that we really had no one to kite....or dispel the enrage.

Kids, don't try this at home.

So, our other tank took the zombies and I took Gluth. One of our subs was an extra healer because we were down to the last minute with filling the last spot. Really, it comes down to timing cooldowns. I got the 10th stack of the healing debuff right around the time decimate came, at which point I blew SW, LS and a dodge trinket and we pulled it off. The debuff dropped and I sucked up some massive heals and we took him down.

And we were on pace for Undying until our other tank got his positive and negatives confused on thaddius....doh. Still, cleared Construct, Spider, and Military with one death on a boss fight.

Speckles
03-23-2009, 06:30 AM
I've also solo-tanked Gluth on 10 man as a druid. It's not actually that bad, as Horacio correctly said it's about timing cooldowns properly and preparing for the next decimate and so on.

It does get a bit hairy when there's 10 stacks of the debuff on (which means -100% healing) so I use barkskin with my two dodge trinkets in rotation while theres between 5 and 10 stacks up. If I'm unlucky and have 10 stacks when decimate hits I'll blow Survival Instincts straight after to ensure I don't get gimped.

Morrigu
03-23-2009, 06:36 AM
I am still investigating this, but if you put your back where the door and the door frame meet, Gluth's pathing will activate. He will walk back and forth in front of the tank and rarely will he tag you with (2) stacks of the debuff.

Karnak
04-09-2009, 03:33 PM
Hi guys I got a question you my hopefully be able to answer me:

My guild really struggles with Gluth in Naxx10. We got a Mage and sometimes a Shaman for kiting. I talked long with all the raid members and the mage who tried to kite them always said, that the healer pulled aggro and he did not get it back.

In my opinion I always thoougth, that once shot by an ice lance the occasionally fired ice lance and cone of cold would easily be enough to keep aggro but as he told me it surely was not and so our one heal , a shaman healer (the two others - both priests - never had aggro) always had aggro.

After several tries (round about 5-10) to get the mage into kiting we closed raid down and called it a day.

So my question would be: is it really possible for the healer to hold aggro that "good" that even some ice lances can't bring the Mob back to our kiting mage? And if that is hve you got any idea how to avoid that problem?

greetings and thanks in advance
Karnak

PS.: since our guild is pretty small we do not have a hunter for it would really be a help planting frost trap etc.

Minnaris
06-15-2009, 02:20 PM
Karnak, my first Naxx 10 runs were running into the same problem. We actually had a hunter kiting as well as a shaman dropping earthbind, and the hunter had a really rough time keeping the chow off the healers. Finally we put a ret pally in his tank set back there with an excellent healer and it worked like a dream.

We were able to drop him regularly after that, but lately a new problem popped up. The two tanks up front were myself (prot warrior) and a pally. When it came time for me to taunt Gluth back, it said he was immune to my taunt. I tried again, and the same thing happened. Finally I had to use mocking blow to force Gluth to face me. The pally and I were really close on threat, so it wasn't a threat issue - it was a taunting issue. The pally was able to take him back with no problems. When it came time for me to grab him again, I ran into the same issues. Since mocking blow was on cool down I even resorted to challenging shout. We still got him down, but the next week (with the same pally tank), I had the same issues.

Did Gluth change? Was I doing something wrong? Did the pally do something strange? Was this just a freak accident about being immune to taunt for me but not to the pally? Has this happened to anyone else? It's not the end of the world (we still got him down both times), but I'd really like to know what was happening.

Karnak
06-15-2009, 02:37 PM
The thing you are encountering is the fact that taunt falls under diminishing returns(since two patches ago I think).

If you taunt to often in a certain window of time the target get's a higher chance to not be affected by taunt (miss). when you repeat the taunts while this debuff(mocking blow also adds to the diminishing return same as taunt does, so invisible debuff with counter) is still active, it stacks up to 4. The fifth time you taunt the mob'll get immun. If by then you do not have Gluth you cannot get him via taunt for - I think it were - 15sec. So check how often taunt is used overall, and be sure to only use taunt abbilities (such as Taunt itself and/or Mocking Blow) when really needed. and be aware of the time between the taunts.

It maybe a little bit buggy (it is sometimes with me and my guild) but mostly after one or two taunts/mocking blow I got him.

good luck with the in my opinion buggy taunt mechanic!
greetings
karnak

Yummerkins
08-09-2009, 03:34 PM
One way to do this (which is how my guild does it) is if you have a DK tank. I was the OT for a naxx 10 and my MT was a pally with nice gear. what we did is he could take the stacks of gluths debuffs so i was kitting the zombies in the back. this was very easy to go because i did not need a healer devoted too myself so they could focus on the tank. So its a nice little suggestion to anyone whose guilds are having trouble with gluth. :)

uglybbtoo
08-09-2009, 08:57 PM
The thing you are encountering is the fact that taunt falls under diminishing returns(since two patches ago I think).

If you taunt to often in a certain window of time the target get's a higher chance to not be affected by taunt (miss). when you repeat the taunts while this debuff(mocking blow also adds to the diminishing return same as taunt does, so invisible debuff with counter) is still active, it stacks up to 4. The fifth time you taunt the mob'll get immun. If by then you do not have Gluth you cannot get him via taunt for - I think it were - 15sec. So check how often taunt is used overall, and be sure to only use taunt abbilities (such as Taunt itself and/or Mocking Blow) when really needed. and be aware of the time between the taunts.

It maybe a little bit buggy (it is sometimes with me and my guild) but mostly after one or two taunts/mocking blow I got him.

good luck with the in my opinion buggy taunt mechanic!
greetings
karnak

It isn't special to gluth has been in the game since they bought taunt under diminishing returns and it is 15secs. Hit immunity you have to wait 15sec before you can taunt again. Never seen taunt ever bug or heard of any complaints from fellow tanks.

The issue comes about usually because the tank that is handing him over doesn't stop tanking. Taunting only makes you even and gives you focus for a little time it the other tank doesn't stop tanking and using his high threat moves good luck getting him if he generates more agro than you. The same issue occurs if you are handing over in 4 horseman .. make sure the tank handing over knows he has to stop tanking.

On a side issue to solo tanking him does any pally know if bubble cancel removes the debuff stacks?

Martie
08-09-2009, 09:12 PM
It isn't special to gluth has been in the game since they bought taunt under diminishing returns and it is 15secs. Hit immunity you have to wait 15sec before you can taunt again. Never seen taunt ever bug or heard of any complaints from fellow tanks.

The issue comes about usually because the tank that is handing him over doesn't stop tanking. Taunting only makes you even and gives you focus for a little time it the other tank doesn't stop tanking and using his high threat moves good luck getting him if he generates more agro than you. The same issue occurs if you are handing over in 4 horseman .. make sure the tank handing over knows he has to stop tanking.

On a side issue to solo tanking him does any pally know if bubble cancel removes the debuff stacks?
Well, a good tank will lessen his threat output after the other tank taunts, but it really shouldn't matter that much - he needs 110% of your threat before pulling aggro off of you, and that shouldn't be instantly attained.
If he does instantly get that, the problem probably isn't with his doing too much threat - it's with you doing too little.

uglybbtoo
08-09-2009, 09:31 PM
I understand the mechanic.

Don't believe me try it get two dissimilar threat tanks and get them to go flat out and ask the lower tank to try and taunt the target off the first tank. Alot of times the mob doesn't even show a target switch yet they clearly have a taunt debuff on them but I think this is just animation lag.

Edit: My gut feel is the high threat moves like shield slam, HOTR etc must take the tank instantly back over the 110% threshhold

The issue usually comes up when the tanks are only just ahead of dps and they feel they can't back off threat.

Seen this issue many a time never seen any sort of taunt bug.