PDA

View Full Version : Keybinds and You

Bloodwraith
11-26-2008, 06:38 AM
Article: Keybinds and You - TankSpot (http://www.tankspot.com/article.php?id=132958)

In This Guide

Why Should I Use Keybinds?
Common Keybinds
How to Learn Your Keybinds

Why Should I Use Keybinds?

A keybinding is a shortcut exclusively pressed by your left hand on the keyboard to make your character do something, fast. Clicking does things slowly and thus is less effective than someone who uses keybinds. Clicking forces you to watch your action bars and hinders you from watching what is going on around you causing tunnel vision.

To change keybindings, you press the Esc key, click on Key Bindings in the menu that appears in the middle of the screen, and scroll down through the various different abilities. The function of the ability is described on the left side, and the two boxes in line with the description are the two possible keybindings. To assign a new keybinding you click on the left box and press the keybinding you wish to assign. Click Okay after you’re done changing things.

Common Keybinds

The first thing you need to keybind is your movement base. I would suggest you use WASD as your movement base. If you currently turn with your keyboard you need to stop. Turning with your keyboard is slower than turning with your mouse (hold right mouse button and drag it). Your movement keybinds should be:

W: Forward
A: Strafe Left
S: Backward
D: Strafe Right

Some people use ESDF instead of WASD. They feel that this opens up more keybind space.

http://i38.tinypic.com/2cnjpqt.jpg

You can use modifiers (Shift/Ctrl/Alt) with normal keys to open up even more space on your keyboard. These keys allow you keybind all of your spells while keeping everything within reach of your left hand.

Everyone does what is comfortable to them, but this is the general idea:

Common keys are `12345QERTFGC. You can also bind abilities to your mouse wheel.
Your most used spells will probably be most comfortable if you place them on QERF4 and then branch out from there.
Use shift/ctrl/alt as modifiers for keybinds to keep them near your movement base.
Leave nothing as a clicking ability.
Keybind your focus target.
I find that Caps Lock is a great keybind for Ventrilo.

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/9396/keybindsr.jpg

How to Learn Your Keybinds

You won't be able to learn keybinds overnight. It takes time and effort to get used to them, but in the end you won't regret it. I have a few suggestions on getting used to them.

First just practice your keybinds in a BG or solo. I don't suggest trying them while you're in something important such as an arena match or in an instance or raid because you won't be used to them yet. As time goes on you'll usually notice that some keys need to be bound differently. Change them and continue to practice the keybinds by yourself. After a while (depends on the person) you'll usually start to meld your keybind play while you do non-solo activities and then you'll start playing with keybinds full-time. When this happens: Congratulations you've mastered the use of keybinds :D

If you're having troubleput all of your binds in order(on your bars). If your spells are jumbled around it can get confusing for some people and makes them harder to learn.

Download an action bar mod if you don't already have one. I would suggest Bartender4 (http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info11190-Bartender4.html). This mod has a keybinding feature that allows you to type "/kb" which brings up a little window. Once the window is up you can hover your mouse over your action bar buttons and bind and clear the keybinds for each button. Not only does it help with keybinding but it also allows you to hide your bars. Hiding your bars makes you depend completely on your keybinds. You don't have to keep it hidden because you need to be able to see your cooldowns, but keeping it hidden while you first learn them is very helpful. This is a video on Bartender4: Bartender4 | pvptutorial.com (http://www.pvptutorial.com/uitutorial/bartender4)

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t103/bloodwraith816/DK322Keybinds.jpg

Map out your keybinds in an Excel spreadsheet. List the keys you want to use down column A and modifiers along the top. Go through each keybind. If one is an uncomfortable reach, mark that cell red and continue through the list. Type out all of your spells. Once they are all there, think about how you want them set up and move them up into the keybind section. I did this recently and my new keybinds are a lot smoother and more accessible.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t103/bloodwraith816/kbexamp.jpg

Pharaunmizz showed me a very useful spreadsheet that I'm sure the TS community could use. It was made by Tielc - Akama Horde (US). It is an Excel sheet that has been modified to look like a keyboard. It has pictures of all prot warrior abilities and they can be dragged around onto whichever key you like. It also has a few other classes and I'm sure if someone put in the effort, they could make one for any class they wanted to. You can download it here (some people are having compatibility issues with this. I'm not sure how to fix it so I guess you're on your own with that.):

http://www.pvptutorial.com/files/help/keybinding.xlsx

A useful addon is HelpMyKeybind. I'm pretty sure it's still functioning fine even though it's out of date. You can input your keybinds and what spells you want them to have and it will test you on them. You can download it Here (http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/hmk.aspx).

Another tip (Warrior specific) is to combine stances into macros for all of your stance specific spells. For example:

#showtooltip Charge
/cast Battle Stance
/cast Charge

That one keybind will function as your battle stance key when you're not in battle stance and it will function as your Charge key when you're in battle stance. This prevents you from moving your hand to hit multiple keybinds to use stance specific spells by combining it into one useful key.

That's it for now. I hope this helps clear some things up and I'm open to any info or suggestions :D

Links

Keybinding | pvptutorial.com (http://www.pvptutorial.com/uitutorial/keybinding)
How you can become a Gladiator: Keybindings Part I - Elitist Jerks (http://elitistjerks.com/blogs/yes/207-how_you_can_become_gladiator_keybindings_part_i.ht ml)

Juon
12-03-2008, 03:49 AM
Thank you for this, more things to try out tonight. :)

bujingai
12-18-2008, 01:48 AM
wow great guides..thx alot mate

Bloodwraith
12-18-2008, 01:47 PM
wow great guides..thx alot mate

Glad you liked it :)

innuendo
12-19-2008, 10:54 PM
For my warrior I use my mousewheel to change stance. Up for battle, down for defensive and click for Fury. It works very well for me.

Morgo
12-31-2008, 04:14 PM
For my warrior I use my mousewheel to change stance. Up for battle, down for defensive and click for Fury. It works very well for me.

Same thing, except I only use up and down for switching to the 2 remaining stances I'm not in at the moment. click is insignia ;)

Mssxwpn
01-02-2009, 06:24 PM
I'm honestly the only one I know who's done this, but it's worked great for me for multiple years so I'll share.

As a tanking warrior, with a premium placed on reactionary abilities, and something available at almost every GCD, I found the traditional key binding + mouse approach too restrictive when nearly everything (movement, modifiers and actions) are all overloaded on your left hand, with your mouse just used for turning or occasional targeting.

Instead, I've opted to use my left hand for movement and modifier keys only (and a select few non-GCD abilities such as heroic strike and healthstones/pots that are out of "rhythm"), with my right hand on the numeric keypad, leaving the mouse entirely unattended when in combat (out of combat my hand goes back to the mouse for NPC interaction, changing view etc. because it has to)

The advantages I found are as follows:

- Separate movement from actions. No finger complications at all kiting a boss around while still hitting your rotation 100%.

- Way less hand movement. Key are abilities accessable from home position on your right hand. Shield Slam (4), Revenge (5), Devastate (6) and Shield Block (+) are my home row. No movement of hand at all required. Move up a row for AOE tanking w/ Thunderclap (7), Cleave (8) and Shockwave (9). Also, your left hand has access to both Shift and Alt modifiers without it moving off its home position.

- TONs of keys, all easily accessible. With this many combos you don't have to force things into awkward combinations (try hitting the '1' key while strafing back right and trying to talk on vent at same time to get the idea of the problem this avoids). Everything is accessible with easier to learn motions. And you can do things like fully mark up a pull with lucky charms without touching the mouse.

The challenges are:

- Learning to REALLY get good at tab targeting. With no mouse you must become zen with how tab targeting works. Having mastered it, it's awesome, but it takes a bit of time to go from casually comfortable to zen master.

- Arena: You'll be a keyboard turner, so you won't cut it in serious arena.

Who knows, it may be a terrible setup for anything other than a tank warrior (my priest sure doesn't use it), but for a tanking warrior, I've tried just about everything and this works best for me by far.

Update:

9 months later, I'm now a happy regular vanilla keybinder. No more two hands on the keyboard. While I still maintain that the specific "keyboard turning is slow" aspect of things is not really that detrimental in PvE content, not having a hand on your mouse is a major liability compared to what can be done with full mouse control. So I'm writing this quick addendum to debunk my own arguments to avoid any chance someone might have read it and thought the approach I discussed was an optimal one.

Reasons you just plain need the mouse:
- Looking around quickly and without turning, (i.e. left mouse button). Very useful when spotting incoming adds, deep breaths, not having a awkward camera view when tanking with back to the wall
- Click targeting. I maintain that tab targeting can be used for a lot of situations, but there are some specific fights where its just easier to click target adds. Being good at both methods > being good at one method.
- Continuity. No switching between 2 hands and 1 hand in and out of combat. Minimize differences between tank/dps, pve/pvp configurations. It's just much easier.

All of the claimed advantages of 2H keyboard, I ultimately found disappeared after a month or so of retraining my brain to learn the new setup. I do still like to minimize the use of modifier keys, and so went with using ESDF vs. WASD to get a couple extra keys in easy access of my fingers without a modifier.

Ceravantes
01-03-2009, 10:28 AM
- Arena: You'll be a keyboard turner, so you won't cut it in serious arena.

Keyboard turning can be detrimental to all aspects of the game, not just arena. Being a clicker is better than being a keyboard turner.

Mssxwpn
01-05-2009, 08:06 AM
Keyboard turning can be detrimental to all aspects of the game, not just arena. Being a clicker is better than being a keyboard turner.

Sweeping generalizations are both much easier and far less helpful to make. Care to elaborate on specifics?

orcstar
01-05-2009, 08:22 AM
Sweeping generalizations are both much easier and far less helpful to make. Care to elaborate on specifics?
Keyboard turning is proven to be slower then mouse turning. A quick 180 which I often use isn't doable keyboard turning. So someone used to mouse turning will have an edge over someone using keyboard turning. There is no way you can be as fast in turning with your keyboard compared to your mouse.

Clicking vs keybinds: you are limited by cooldowns all the time, so you almost always have 1,5 seconds to get your mouse to the approriate button and if you're good at it can have similar performance as keybinders.

And in the end most people use a hybrid of keybinds and clicking. I still click the spells I rarely use and have keybound my bread and butter skills.
Even if you're only useing 1,2,3,4,5,6 you're already using keybinds, so the difference between keybinders and clickers might not even be so big. The amount what people have bound to keys seems to make the difference.

Kazeyonoma
01-05-2009, 10:01 AM
The biggest noticeable fight that keyboard turning will destroy you in is against a rogue. A good rogue will keep attacking you from behind, preventing you from being able to dodge/parry/block and allowing them to fire off their backstab related attacks. Anyone who keyboard turns will PROBABLY never get even 1 attack to land on said rogue. Show me a warrior who keyboard turns who can keep up with said rogue, and I'll show you a terrible rogue.

Genova
01-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Now when you say keyboard turning are you refering to pressing the 'W' key while using the right click on the mouse? Cause I do that in PvP, or I just use both mouse buttons.

Or is that what your saying is good... im confused. Cause I still get pwned in pvp

Bloodwraith
01-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Now when you say keyboard turning are you refering to pressing the 'W' key while using the right click on the mouse? Cause I do that in PvP, or I just use both mouse buttons.

Or is that what your saying is good... im confused. Cause I still get pwned in pvp

Keyboard turning = Using the Directional arrows on your keyboard or using A and D for turning (Not binding them to strafe).

The most effective way to turn is to use the right button on your mouse.

Kazeyonoma
01-05-2009, 04:34 PM
that is not keyboard turning, that's keyboard movement.

keyboard turning is people who don't use right click on the mouse, but just use a or d to turn left or right, very slowly.

THAT is keyboard turning. I use qweasd for directional movements but i quick turn with my mouse.

Mssxwpn
01-05-2009, 07:27 PM
The question I was trying to get Cervantes to elaborate on is whether there's really any significant disadvantage to keyboard turning when tanking in PvE (my post on double handed keybinding and tossing the mouse out the window). PvP there's no doubt what-so-ever that keyboard turners are dead men walking.

Pharaunmizz
01-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Excellent written guide! Cross-linked, lol.

Bloodwraith
01-18-2009, 12:34 PM
Thanks Pharaunmizz! You're video on keybinds inspired me to redo mine back in BC. They're a lot better thanks to your video (Same with my UI) :D.

grendelkhan
01-23-2009, 10:25 AM
Freshly turned 80 warrior here, anxious to drop his button clicking ways.

Can anyone share a link or show what they're using for prot warrior key binds? I'm looking to get some ideas and start the painstaking process of cleaning up my mess of a UI.

Thanks,

gk

Strucker
01-23-2009, 10:32 AM
Greetings

The most effective mouse/keyboard setup I have found is to use the mouse exclusively for movement and the keyboard exclusively for bindings.

The mouse setup I use is as follows
Upper thumb button: Move backwards
Lower thumb button: Auto run forward
Left mouse button: Camera turn (Default)
Right mouse button: Character turn (Default)
Mouse wheel up: Strafe left
Mouse wheel down: Strafe right

For the key board I use the buttons
1 - =
Q - Y
A - H

As well as the Shift and Alt version of each

This gives my left hand ready access to any ability I need well leaving my right hand to perform any movement I need.

Hope this helps someone

(Note there is always 1 or 2 bars I leave unbound for actions I use exclusively out of combat)

Rude
01-23-2009, 02:21 PM
Here's what I'm using for my warrior. It's obviously mouse specific. Command is actually just mapped to control. (Yes, I use a Mac. Used a Mac keyboard before the Mac too, for that matter) I'd suggest using whatever key happens to be next to your spacebar so you can hit it with your thumb.

http://www.tankspot.com/photoplog/images/10675/1_rude-setup.jpg

I used to use 1, 2, 3 and Ctrl+1, 2, 3 for marking targets. After I found Opie (http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info9094-OPie.html), I stopped doing that. I was also forgetting which buttons were which mark. Since then I haven't found anything else to do with 2 and 3 on my warrior. I have the Opie hunter trap ring mapped to 2 when I bother with that character.

A generic suggestion for people who have trouble remembering keybinds across multiple characters, map similar things to the same keys. G is always my casting interrupt. Ctrl+W is always my racial ability. Ctrl+Space is my "oh shit" ability; vanish, psychic scream, feign death. The back button on my mouse usually the "spam this button repeatedly" action; mutilate on rogue, mind flay on priest.

Some keybinds ... I have no idea how they wound up there. Concussion blow is an obvious one. Demoralizing shout.... The thing is, once you get used to your setup it's really hard to change. And it's not worth changing unless it's really causing a problem. TBC, my shield slam was R. 3.0 came out and I had to use it a lot more frequently, so it had to move.

grendelkhan
01-23-2009, 04:01 PM
Oh, that's a hot mouse! Thanks Rude, that helps a bunch.

Rude
01-23-2009, 04:05 PM
MX Revolution. Tilt wheel. The thing on The side isn't really a wheel. It's on a spring. Goes forward and back and pushes in.

Hansinator
01-25-2009, 03:24 AM
Well as for me I don't do a lot of PVP (not at all mostly) I work very well with the following setup.

I don't use Mouse turning and don't like it in general.
For abilities and so on I use NUM LOCK. Buttons 0-9 and - & + with ctrl and shift that gives me over all 36 key bindings. Gives me quick access to my shouts trinkets and major CD abilities. Use Q to mark my main target and E for quick access to my Pots/Stone/Seed. As for tanking this has been working great for me for 4 years now. And as for tanking I recommend it at least test it (as long as your not playing a lap were this will become impossible).

Then the general Idea is 0-9 are my most used abilities.
Use 2 for HS and 5 for Cleave the idea there is ill always have one finger (the infamous middle finger) only on HS or Cleave because I never use them at the same time in a fight.

Then Ill have free the index and ring finger for the other Major CD Abilities as in SS,SB,CB,Revenge and so on and so on.

But the general idea is always keep the Middle finger free for HS or Cleave spamming in high rage fights.

Will include a screen shot later to day (not on the right computer at the moment).

undeadgrishnackh
01-28-2009, 04:09 AM
I've changed my play style alot of time since i start to play wow on beta release. After a long tuning of UI and keybindings I've configured my UI with all my tanking spells [used by right hand) on NumPad 1-9 [ctrl+alt], taunt on +, stun -, consumable/pots/HS/etc on 0 & . and all raid macro on Ins, Home, pg up, etc. Left Hand manage movement, pull spell, trinkets, tab targetting. Mouse? I use Mouse only to move camera and to click on HealBot (left = taunt, middle = LoH, right = cleanse). When i'm tanking I "parking" my mouse pointer on HealBot subwindow and start to use only keyboard with both hands.

Síhrtogg
01-29-2009, 10:09 AM
Try binding all abilities that are on the GCD on keys you hit with you index finger and all abilities off the GCD on keys that you hit with your ring finger. That way you wont lose time moving your fingers between keybinds for abbilities that can be pressed simultaneously.

Some examples:

Off GCD
Q - Heroic Strike
alt+Q - Cleave
shift+Q - Shield Bash
Z - Bloodrage
1 & shift+1 - trinkets
CAPS - Taunt (although I hit that one with my little finger)

On GCD
E - Shield Slam
R - Devastate
C - Revenge
shift+R - Thunder Clap

Cheskagarcia
02-01-2009, 03:12 AM
all in defensive stance

1 heroic strike, 2 shockwave, 3 revenge, 4 devastate, 5 shield slam, 6 rend
q strafe left, w forward, e strafe right, r thunderclap, t cleave/sunder, y reflect
a intervene, s backward, d disarm, f berserker stance, g shield wall, h last stand
z intimidating shout, x berserker rage, c victory rush, v taunt/mocking, b bloodrage

c1 conc blow, c2 battle shout, c3 commanding shout, c4 demo shout, c5 challenging
cq shield block, sq POP ALL MAC, sw gloves cw trink1, ce trink2, se bloodfury, cr regen
ca heroic throw, cs vigilance, cd potion, cf focus target, sf target focus
cx land mount, cc flying mount

f1 battle, f2 defensive, f3 berserker f4 ranged weapon f5 healthstone f6 bandage

Emaric
02-06-2009, 06:17 AM
I have to agree with Keybinds. They are great little things. First off for anyone starting any class that requires alot of binds or just alot of buttons make sure everything is withing reach of your main hand. As it is I can't post my layout but the way I have my binds setup are to the point where I was feeding my new born baby while tanking and instances and the only missing what my ability turn around fast enough. But I still don't require a mouse to play if anything.

I use 1-5, shift/alt 1-5, shift/alt q-r, shift/alt a-f for all my combat skills and I change stances with shift z(battle), x(zerk), c(def). The trick comes down when you have to make sure you don't bind really important keys to your movement keys when you are trying to move one handed if needed.

Petninja
02-13-2009, 01:59 PM
Instead, I've opted to use my left hand for movement and modifier keys only (and a select few non-GCD abilities such as heroic strike and healthstones/pots that are out of "rhythm"), with my right hand on the numeric keypad, leaving the mouse entirely unattended when in combat (out of combat my hand goes back to the mouse for NPC interaction, changing view etc. because it has to)

What do you do when you have 5 mobs you are tanking and #6 comes out of nowhere and runs after your healer? Tab x 5 really fast and hope to god you don't overshoot your target and have to tab again? If you really didn't like having your hands each sharing the load of a job why not just bind all movement to a mouse and then do all keybinds on your left hand? Then you get the advantages of a mouse turner, and you still get your hand free for just keybinds. I'm not saying you're not a good tank, I've never run with you. Your method is plagued with unnecessary keypresses and substantial downtime compared to a mouse turner. This will ring true in any fight where mobs are coming from two directions, or if something doesn't quite go as planned.

Ramnath
02-27-2009, 12:56 PM
Just throwing my 2 cents in...

I found that I became a MUCH better player and my reaction time when through the roof. I know many people find that transition hard but, here is what I did. Gosh this must be some over two years ago when I think of where it was, lol! I used to grind the crap out of the Dragonkin in Azshara near the Azuregos spawn. I literally forced myself to grind them without clicking. The best thing for reaction was to be able to switch stances and pummel the casters. The time I used to use for mats was put on hold as I relearned how to play the game.

I have found it most comfortable for me to move my movement keys over one key to the right. Using E,S,F,D for movement and binding the rest. For me, it's always easiest to ensure that I'm on the right keys with that nifty little nob on the F key. I use shift and ctrl as modifiers, alt is my PTT. I may revisit and use the capslock key. I have a multi-button mouse which I've bound my stances to.

One thing I actually never considered is to use the the buttons on my mouse for actual attacks, lol! I use my mouse wheel for zooming in and out and that I probably will never change.

Dhalphir
02-28-2009, 11:42 PM
The question I was trying to get Cervantes to elaborate on is whether there's really any significant disadvantage to keyboard turning when tanking in PvE (my post on double handed keybinding and tossing the mouse out the window). PvP there's no doubt what-so-ever that keyboard turners are dead men walking.
No one answered this, so I will.

Yes, there is a huge disadvantage to keyboard turning in PvE tanking.

Say a mob suddenly breaks loose, or spawns, and makes a beeline for your healer. Once it makes it past you, a keyboard turner has to slowly turn around and taunt, and depending on how far away your healer is, you might not make it in time.

A mouseturner can do a quick 180 in less than half a second, grab the mob, and be back facing the pack in seconds.

Roana
03-03-2009, 11:15 AM
Say a mob suddenly breaks loose, or spawns, and makes a beeline for your healer. Once it makes it past you, a keyboard turner has to slowly turn around and taunt, and depending on how far away your healer is, you might not make it in time.

This is a poor example, since Taunt does not have a facing requirement. You can easily taunt a mob that's behind you. However, even assuming that this were not the case:

A mouseturner can do a quick 180 in less than half a second, grab the mob, and be back facing the pack in seconds.

A full 360 degree turn with the keyboard takes 2.0 seconds, 180 degrees take 1.0 seconds, 90 degrees take .5 seconds. You should rarely ever need more than a 90 degree turn in PvE: All movement can be done at a 90 degree angle; you can strafe sideways, and charge/intercept/etc. work for the entire 180 degrees in front of you (so do all attacks, including Heroic Throw -- auto-attack is about the only thing that doesn't work at a very oblique angle). And, of course, you generally don't want to turn your back to the mobs you're tanking, anyway. In short, you can cover the entire battlefield that you can reach without touching the mouse in .5 seconds.

Obviously, there is still a small opportunity cost to keyboard turning in PvE; however, there is also an opportunity cost to not having both hands on the keyboard (especially if you have relatively small hands like me). And it goes without saying that in PvP, you will be at a severe disadvantage without mouse turning.

Tyrante
03-04-2009, 03:10 AM
I use both keybind and click, but never do i ever turn with keyboard. I always see who are keybinders 100%, says that it is slower to turn with keyboard, but i have never done that even when i was 100% clicker when the game started, or in any FPS i played before.

Importent and most used ability i use keybind for, but i click instead of using say ctr + T, I'm far faster to click then use that keybind.

I do agree that keybind is better, why im doing it now my self, but you can click some ability.

sörenpandis
03-04-2009, 11:13 PM
I'm curious: Where do you heavy keybinders put things like target last hostile (G by default) and assist (F by default)? I find both very useful, but perhaps you're not using them at all? This is on the assumption that you bind those keys to other things.

Roana
03-05-2009, 02:27 AM
I'm curious: Where do you heavy keybinders put things like target last hostile (G by default) and assist (F by default)? I find both very useful, but perhaps you're not using them at all? This is on the assumption that you bind those keys to other things.

Nowhere in particular. One of the major reasons for going keybind-heavy is that you have two "home rows" instead of one, so keyboard real estate isn't as much at a premium, since more keys have proximity to a home row. It's more of a function of what things you want to be able to do concurrently (e.g., move with one hand, target with the other).

sörenpandis
03-05-2009, 08:58 PM
I'm sorry, I should have been more clear: with "heavy keybinders" I meant those who bind most (or all) skills to keys near WASD, and use the mouse for moving.
For that situation F and G are (at least for my hand) prime real estate.

Choop
03-20-2009, 06:57 AM
I've recently upped my Prot DPS by quite a margin by binding HS to Mouse Wheel down, and Cleave to Mouse Wheel Up (via Bartender4) - this has allowed me to concentrate on my normal rotation, and not focus on clicking HS all the time to ensure I dont miss anything

with Heroic Throw only working in the direction you are facing, I'm afraid it's time everyone used the mouse to turn. There's no excuse anymore - sorry guys and gals

/respect

Choop....

Rialév
03-21-2009, 01:48 AM
I'm sorry, I should have been more clear: with "heavy keybinders" I meant those who bind most (or all) skills to keys near WASD, and use the mouse for moving.
For that situation F and G are (at least for my hand) prime real estate.

I've found that WASD is too limiting in what potential you can unlock from simple keybindings. (fewer modifiers)

Moving the movement keys to EFDS was my solution which opens up a huge number of keys.

YTRWQGAVCXZ

as well as 123456. I dont go higher than 6 because I don't like having to stretch for a potential pushing of the wrong key.

F1-F7 are also more easily accessible which I use for raid target icons.

And a higher number of keys makes for less modifiers. Which isn't a huge deal because I have just about everything of mine on a key I can get to. So I do use them. but only [mod:shift]

I used to use CTRL and Alt, but i like to stick with simplicity. Which is what I explain to guidies about keybindings... since sometimes learning them is the hardest part.

I've set it up like this on all of my characters. (with respective macros and addons of course)

And actually going back to defualts would take me forever to relearn :P

Dayn
03-21-2009, 11:32 AM
I've noticed everyone here binds strafing keys, but I honestly can't remember the last time I used the strafe for anything outside PvP.

Is there a use for strafing in tanking? Right now all my keyboard real estate is taken up by abilities. 1-6 with my threat generators that can be used in any stance, Q-Y with my stance bar, etc...

Nugat
03-23-2009, 10:00 AM
I'm having trouble maintaining high levels of threat on Malygos. Maybe I'm just not cut out for tanking this fight, but between staying on top of the GCD (with heroic strike spam), constantly moving the camera around to try and spot the sparks, and moving the dragon when it's necessary (most of the time, rarely get lucky with 2 sparks from the same location), I find my threat slipping.

All of my abilities are bound to either the keyboard or mouse, so I don't have anything that I need to click on. However, here are some problems that I encounter.

1. I still find my eyes wandering down to the action bar to make sure my timing is in sync with the GCD. This causes me trouble when when there is a situational awareness check (void zones, checking for sparks, or even watching for a castbar on the mob I'm tanking for an interrupt).
2. Maintaining a solid rotation while moving. While moving, I usually have to let something slide. Sometimes I start to lag behind the GCD, sometimes I lay up off the Heroic Strike spam, and sometimes I'll let buffs/debuffs slide.
3. Reaction time. I think pretty quick on my feet, and I can't tell if I'm planning too far ahead, or if I just can't react to stimuli quick enough. For example. As soon as I hit a button (lets say Shield slam), I do a very fast evaluation (is revenge lit?), and I start spamming the appropriate "next button" before I'm even 1/4 through the GCD. Lets say I choose next button to be Devastate. While I'm spamming devastate, Revenge lights up, my reaction time isn't quite quick enough to catch that revenge before the GCD finishes, and I hit Devastate (so far, I'm a little behind on threat for selecting devastate when I theoretically could have revenged). I give myself a fraction of a second to curse my mistake, and start spamming revenge. This would be fine, if that devastate hadn't procced S&B, I don't get my audio cue's until at least half way through the GCD (default shield "clang" as well as a big "whoosh" from my proculas addon), and by the time my brain registers the "Shield Slam!", the GCD has already come and gone, and I've hit the revenge key instead of the Shield Slam.

Do other warriors out there find themselves in a similar boat? or do you wait for the GCD to finish before you do your evaluation/button press? I find that after having 1 or 2 misses (pressing the wrong button), I tend to stop pre-emptive spamming, and pay more attention to the action bars (setting myself up to miss an environmental cue).

I'm wondering if remapping my keys will help alleviate at least some of the problems (maintaining high threat while moving). Maybe put the big 3 high threat GCD's on the mouse (I use a logitech revolution, so lots of buttons available), and put more situational stuff on the left hand where they can be prioritized against movement keys (moving usually > than anything than the most critical abilities).

Or am I simply over-analyzing the problem, and I need to tell the DPS to give me a little more time to get a solid lead?

Mhoram
03-23-2009, 11:27 AM
What I've been interpreting from a thread Xav posted a while back, about how he was hitting like 400 keystrokes a second or something, so he didn't miss a GCD (I exaggerate here, as I don't remember the exact details of the thread), I think most tanks are just mashing buttons like crazy.

Actually, I had the same problem too, when I used to tank - I'd always be looking down at the actionbar to see when something would become available. Oddly, if I play any of my other toons (mage, druid, hunter, you name it, I've got one), I don't look down nearly as much. I don't know why that is, but I do enjoy it.

Mssxwpn
03-23-2009, 12:48 PM
What do you do when you have 5 mobs you are tanking and #6 comes out of nowhere and runs after your healer? Tab x 5 really fast and hope to god you don't overshoot your target and have to tab again? If you really didn't like having your hands each sharing the load of a job why not just bind all movement to a mouse and then do all keybinds on your left hand? Then you get the advantages of a mouse turner, and you still get your hand free for just keybinds. I'm not saying you're not a good tank, I've never run with you. Your method is plagued with unnecessary keypresses and substantial downtime compared to a mouse turner. This will ring true in any fight where mobs are coming from two directions, or if something doesn't quite go as planned.

These situations aren't as bad as they sound by any means. The algorithm for target selection when tabbing is sensitive to the direction you are facing. You simply step forward towards that mob (assuming you're facing your healer, otherwise turn towards the mob in question), press tab once and taunt. It takes a bit of practice to build an intuitive sense of which target "tab" will pick next, but once you have that, you rarely need to hit tab more than once for this or most situations.

Back before warriors had 30-yard taunts one of the very specific advantages I felt I got from my dual-wielded keyboard was being able to so quickly tab/intervene (macro)/taunt in a split second to address exactly that type of situation. Shattered Halls was the cruicible for this technique, and it worked great.

That said, there are occasionally situations where for whatever reason the tab algorithm breaks down a bit. Most noticable for me were the 2nd pull in Magister's Terrace (when tab would occasionally target the guys down below you) and if you're the Drake tank in 2 or 3 drake Obsidian Sanctum when the 2nd or 3rd drake lands (when the fire guys tend to be what gets targeted with a single tab). For these rare instances, I will actually move my hand back to the mouse and target something that way.

I should also mention since my original post, I tried out the traditional keybinding methods mentioned here, and immediately took to them in PvP and when Fury spec'd, but still didn't find them as effective for tanking after a week and full clear of Naxx/OS/Maly using it. Maybe with practice I would have. But I gave up. :) The only real advantage I felt I had was on stage 1 of Malygos trying to quickly locate the sparks when spawned.

The one thing I do think I might try though is seeing if I can't get 100% of my movement mapped onto my mouse (may require upgrading my mouse), because yea, the general premise behind what I did was separating out my movement from my actions to allow the action hand to operate on more of a rhythm. And if I can do that AND maintain camera mobility, that's even better!

Dhalphir
03-23-2009, 02:27 PM
I've noticed everyone here binds strafing keys, but I honestly can't remember the last time I used the strafe for anything outside PvP.

Is there a use for strafing in tanking? Right now all my keyboard real estate is taken up by abilities. 1-6 with my threat generators that can be used in any stance, Q-Y with my stance bar, etc...

Yes.

If you tank Malygos, you should be strafing everywhere while kiting him.
If you aren't strafing, you're doing it wrong.

reasonyousmile
03-27-2009, 12:42 PM
You know, I've found that a good percentage of the time the no-mouse method illustrated by Mssxwpn works really, really, really well. Everyone just SAYS "keyboard turning = bads", but they say it like it's religious, not like they've actually critically reviewed whether or not it's ever acceptable.

Yes, there are holes that no-mousing doesn't fill, but it does fill a need that mouse-turning can't: Simultaneous actions are sometimes better than fast-in-sequence actions.

With 2-hands on my keyboard, I can often do several things at the same time that a mouse-turner can only learn to do faster in sequence, which is not always necessary. (Think of it like a Pentium 4@3GHz vs. a Core2 Duo@1.7GHz.)

I can easily run after a mob and Heroic Throw/Taunt/Charge it without having to stop running to hit my keys. I can hold 2/3 mobs with my right, move them around with my left, and pick up a third/fourth with a modifier (like ALT-1 for my Heroic Throw) all simultaneously without freaking out.

It's not a FULL-TIME solution, because sometimes mouseturning is easier. That's why it's nice that the mouse is still there - you just move your arm a bit (during your GCD or something, 1.5s being good enough) and target said mob or turn around as needed. I mean, you DO have arms, y'know, you CAN use them, and they can move pretty fast unless you let them atrophy... (oh wait)

On my setup, I use an N52 Speedpad with the mouse on some occasions, and the all-keyboard setup on others. Learning to cramp your style for fashion's sake is stupid - expanding your style and learning lots of different ways to do things and the advantages/disadvantages thereof... is just better.

Samshel
03-27-2009, 12:47 PM
I just wanted to ask, how do you turn 180° with a keyboard?
Cuz with mouse is instant turn, with the keyboard, well... Just wondering

Argamasilla
03-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Mouse and the N52 covers just about everything I use regularly, and I can continue to move with the thumb pad (in a straight line) for the few moments I need to mouse over a less used ability.

I really only use the keyboard for chat now.

Roana
03-27-2009, 04:31 PM
I just wanted to ask, how do you turn 180° with a keyboard?
Cuz with mouse is instant turn, with the keyboard, well... Just wondering

As I said before, you should practically never need to turn more than 90 degrees in PvE at a time.

IKT
03-28-2009, 10:59 AM
As I said before, you should practically never need to turn more than 90 degrees in PvE at a time.

unless a mob comes at the raid from behind or you want to intervene to someone behind you to reduce threat or you enter the portal on .. you're a tank, I twist and turn and jump and move in every direction all the time.

run, jump, turn 180, shockwave, turn back 180 before landing, if you can do this you're doing it right.

Metalzulu
04-18-2009, 01:31 AM
Personally, I've always bound everything to Q, E, R, V, X, Z, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Mainly because they are all right around where my fingers are. I use Control and Shift as modifiers.

On my warrior I put less used spells(Execute for example) on the number keys(1 through 5) Charge and intercept are both on the Q keys, because I like to have similar spells on the same keys, Shift+V for Hamstring on the warrior, Shift+V for frost trap on the hunter, Shift+V for Chains of Ice on the Death Knight, and so on.

On my shaman I use; 1, 4, X and the Shift key for 99% of my DPS spells. All of my healing spells are bound to my Z key on all of my characters. I just find it nice to know that they're right on hand in case I need them. I also have all my totems bound in ways that I know what key combination to hit when I need it. (V for grounding totem, Control+R for Cleansing, ect...) And my Enhancement spells are all near the movement keys, (E, R, 1, X, 4)

My rogue's combo point abilities are all near my movement keys, You should be able to strafe left and press E or R, or Right and press Q, as Bloodwraith stated, rotating with the keyboard is slow and can waste time. My finishing moves are always bound 1 to 5.

run, jump, turn 180, shockwave, turn back 180 before landing, if you can do this you're doing it right.
I do this on my pally with Righteous Shield or hammer of wrath/Righteousness all the time. :D

I've spent way too much time playing around with my key binding and placement of spells on my bars, so much so, that it only takes me about 10 minutes to set up my addons on a fresh install of the game, or to re-keybind the standard blizzard UI on patch day, so I can still function. And if I don't like how it feels to press a key to use an ability, I swap it with another ability, and repeat that until I find a balance. A friend of mine says that having Lightning Bolt on 1, Lava Burst on Shift+X, Flame shock on Shift+4 and Chain lightning on X is useless and wastes time, yet I can't function if I change them to the 1, 2, 3 and 4 keys.

Basically, bind the keys how you think you'll like them, and start putting spells on your bars in a way that you can get used to using them.

I stopped clicking after I hit level 20 and learned how to keybind the main actionbars. :)

Sysmon
04-29-2009, 10:40 AM
Leftie here, using mouse left-handed and binding everything to the numeric pad.

When things get complicated, I abandon the mouse and use bindings on keys q-y, a-g and z-b in addition for things like strafing, target-of-target etc...

Works well in PvP, and well in PvE instancing.

:D S

Stovan
04-30-2009, 12:52 AM
oohhh this is definately something I need to look at. I have some abilities bound but know I could (a) bind more and (b) bind better.... think I will look at rebinnding and practising on the dailies.....

Sysmon
04-30-2009, 10:36 AM
It is actually awesome fun in PvP. Have a peep come at you, start a keyboard turn (you can almost see his shoulders relax and hear the sigh of relief). Then whip the mouse around and Mortal Strike him.

:D S

Gwennell
05-04-2009, 05:40 AM
I'm a lefty too, holding the mouse in my left hand. I find I'm running out of keys on the right hand side of the keyboard. I'd love to invest in a gaming keyboard or gamepad but they don't make left handed versions. I'm forced to click at times because of that limitation.

siubosn
05-19-2009, 08:26 PM
This is all great but can someone help me out as i'm ass backwards, I use the mouse w/ left hand and the arrow keys for movement with my right. As I suck at typing useing keys is really hard for me but I do want to be able to streamline my tanking w/ the use of more keys so im not constantly looking at the spellbars.
Any sujestions at this popint will be helpfull.
TY
Zephryus

Bloodwraith
05-25-2009, 11:02 AM
I updated the OP to include a new spreadsheet that Pharaunmizz showed me. It was done by Tielc - Akama Horde (US). It has a modified spreadsheet that looks like a keyboard. It has icons for all prot warrior spells. I included a picture as well. Hope this helps those tanks that are working on setting up their keybinds :D.

Karith
05-26-2009, 10:08 AM
1. I still find my eyes wandering down to the action bar to make sure my timing is in sync with the GCD. This causes me trouble when when there is a situational awareness check (void zones, checking for sparks, or even watching for a castbar on the mob I'm tanking for an interrupt).
2. Maintaining a solid rotation while moving. While moving, I usually have to let something slide. Sometimes I start to lag behind the GCD, sometimes I lay up off the Heroic Strike spam, and sometimes I'll let buffs/debuffs slide.
3. Reaction time. I think pretty quick on my feet, and I can't tell if I'm planning too far ahead, or if I just can't react to stimuli quick enough. For example. As soon as I hit a button (lets say Shield slam), I do a very fast evaluation (is revenge lit?), and I start spamming the appropriate "next button" before I'm even 1/4 through the GCD. Lets say I choose next button to be Devastate. While I'm spamming devastate, Revenge lights up, my reaction time isn't quite quick enough to catch that revenge before the GCD finishes, and I hit Devastate (so far, I'm a little behind on threat for selecting devastate when I theoretically could have revenged). I give myself a fraction of a second to curse my mistake, and start spamming revenge. This would be fine, if that devastate hadn't procced S&B, I don't get my audio cue's until at least half way through the GCD (default shield "clang" as well as a big "whoosh" from my proculas addon), and by the time my brain registers the "Shield Slam!", the GCD has already come and gone, and I've hit the revenge key instead of the Shield Slam.

Do other warriors out there find themselves in a similar boat? or do you wait for the GCD to finish before you do your evaluation/button press? I find that after having 1 or 2 misses (pressing the wrong button), I tend to stop pre-emptive spamming, and pay more attention to the action bars (setting myself up to miss an environmental cue).

To address your issues, I had the same problems, and while I'm still working on fixing some of them, what I've done so far might be of use.

1 and 3. I've found one particular addon to be really helpful so that I don't have to be watching my action bar or buffs to know when things like Sword and Board are up - Mik's Scrolling Battle Text. I know it's linked around here somewhere, but you can search for it on Curse. You can set up where it notifies you, and about what, so I'm still watching more or less the middle of the screen for my timing and when things are up. I also tend not to "spam" buttons, I calculate and have tempo'ed out the GCD such that I don't need to look to see when I can push something again. Occasionally I'm just a fraction off and must hit something again, but I'd say 95% of the time I'm accurate.

2. The first thing to go for me if I have to be moving is Heroic Strike. I've bound it and Cleave to my mouse wheel, and as such it's more difficult at the moment for me to have both mouse buttons pressed to move, and be scrolling my mouse wheel simultaneously. Now, I'm also still in the process of training myself to mouse-turn, so once I get that down to an art, I might be able to re-incorporate HS into turns and movement.

I've also found Satrina's Digits addon very useful, so that I don't have to keep looking up to see how much rage I have and evaluate if I can afford to use HS or not. I'm looking forward to trying out 2.0 and pulling down my target's health and mana as well. The biggest problem I have is if I'm having to watch enemy cast bar - I need to play around with my UI a bit more until I can get their cast bar somewhere closer to the middle of the screen.

My problem is that I have a desktop which is fantastic, but I travel a lot and must use a laptop which can't handle more than a few small addons for raiding, so I have to almost reteach myself whenever I get home.

That being said, I hope you find this helpful.

Dolomyte
05-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Ive been using the num pad for my paladin tanking rotation since I began raiding with him. The obvious downfalls: distance to shift/cntrl, having to reposistion my hand for the move keys, if I hit 'num lock' accidently it will normally end in a wipe.

Ive looked but have yet to find any recommended setups for lefties similar to the OP right handed setup. Ive tried some lefty setups on the letter keys with little success. Any links or personal setups anyone can recommend?

Karith
05-28-2009, 09:46 PM
Ok, so I was trying new things all night tonight, and came across one major problem. This may be easily solved for some of you, but for me this is a major issue of contention at the moment, and I think is why it's so hard for me to train myself to mouse-move: walking backward. I find I do it a fair bit, especially in fights like Hodir. I don't have a spare mouse button I could re-keybind (as I have only a standard mouse), and I don't relish the idea of having to 180 turn, run leaving my back to a boss and making me miss a GCD, and 180 turn back once I'm where I want to be. And if I mouse-turn 90 degrees and strafe, that leaves me with the similar problem of: strafing.

At this point, I'm completely open to suggestions. I can't fully play around with fixing my keybindings until I can get this worked out.

Thanks.

Bloodwraith
05-29-2009, 04:13 AM
Ok, so I was trying new things all night tonight, and came across one major problem. This may be easily solved for some of you, but for me this is a major issue of contention at the moment, and I think is why it's so hard for me to train myself to mouse-move: walking backward. I find I do it a fair bit, especially in fights like Hodir. I don't have a spare mouse button I could re-keybind (as I have only a standard mouse), and I don't relish the idea of having to 180 turn, run leaving my back to a boss and making me miss a GCD, and 180 turn back once I'm where I want to be. And if I mouse-turn 90 degrees and strafe, that leaves me with the similar problem of: strafing.

At this point, I'm completely open to suggestions. I can't fully play around with fixing my keybindings until I can get this worked out.

Thanks.

If you use WASD like I outlined in the guide back is bound to S.

Kazeyonoma
05-29-2009, 10:05 AM
Yeah, I have every ability keybound (except potions) but I still use WASD to do back up or to move forward if i'm using my mouse to camera control. It takes a lot more movement of my lefthand to keep up because I use Alt, and CTRL modifiers, but in the end it works for me too. I've never had a movement fight issue after I got used to this.

Karith
05-30-2009, 03:59 PM
If you use WASD like I outlined in the guide back is bound to S.

So keep strafe and back to keystrokes, just turn and move with the mouse? That makes a lot more sense then, I must have just misunderstood.
The transition won't be nearly as bad as I feared then. Thanks!

orcstar
05-30-2009, 04:06 PM
So keep strafe and back to keystrokes, just turn and move with the mouse? That makes a lot more sense then, I must have just misunderstood.
The transition won't be nearly as bad as I feared then. Thanks!
I've got side buttons on my mouse and mapped strafe left and right to them, the transition will be hard but in the end you'll love it.

Best way to learn it is to just roll an alt druid or something and level it to 30 or so, unbind WASD altogether and map your strafe buttons to the side buttons. (and I mapped back to my middle mouse button)

Mouse moving really does work.

siubosn
06-01-2009, 11:26 AM
I've read through this several times in fact i get the new posts emailed to me, all is great info but I still as of yet to see anybody answer the questions to help out those of us who are naturally Left Handed. What that means is the MOUSE is in our LEFT Hand and Keys are done with our right. So with that said I can only assume that there must be some other players out there who do the same. (as Ive seen more than 1 request)
In addition I love the EX. spread sheet w/ the keyboard layouts on it, but is there a way that the author could do the same for Palladin Tank spells?
thanks for all the advice
Zephryus

Karith
06-01-2009, 11:35 AM
I've got side buttons on my mouse and mapped strafe left and right to them, the transition will be hard but in the end you'll love it.

Best way to learn it is to just roll an alt druid or something and level it to 30 or so, unbind WASD altogether and map your strafe buttons to the side buttons. (and I mapped back to my middle mouse button)

Mouse moving really does work.

Yes, but as I said, I only have 3 things on the mouse - left and right click, and the wheel. So I can't physically bind the strafe keys to the mouse. And mapping back to the middle isn't a bad idea, if I didn't need that one for heroic strike and cleave, which is working for me exceptionally well.

Siubosn, I wish I could help, but I'm afraid I have no suggestions for being left-handed.

Bloodwraith
06-01-2009, 01:18 PM
I've read through this several times in fact i get the new posts emailed to me, all is great info but I still as of yet to see anybody answer the questions to help out those of us who are naturally Left Handed. What that means is the MOUSE is in our LEFT Hand and Keys are done with our right. So with that said I can only assume that there must be some other players out there who do the same. (as Ive seen more than 1 request)
In addition I love the EX. spread sheet w/ the keyboard layouts on it, but is there a way that the author could do the same for Palladin Tank spells?
Zephryus

I'm not left handed so I can't really give you any suggestions there. As for the spreadsheet, I don't personally know the author so I don't know what he could and couldn't do. I put his name in there so you could always try to contact him in-game.

siubosn
06-01-2009, 11:39 PM
I'm not left handed so I can't really give you any suggestions there. As for the spreadsheet, I don't personally know the author so I don't know what he could and couldn't do. I put his name in there so you could always try to contact him in-game.

Thanks Blood anyway; I was kinda hoping a Lefty would read and respond :D

Radhja
06-02-2009, 03:16 AM
My complete bindings (Protection Warrior setup)

WADS - Forward, Turn Left, Turn Right, Backwards (default)
Q, E - Strafe Left/Right (default)
X - Heroic Throw
T - Taunt (Alt+T: Challenging Shout)
F, G - Flying/Ground Mount

~ - Spell Reflect
1 - Devastate
2 - Revenge
3 - Shield Slam
4 - Heroic Strike OR Cleave (I exchange depending on encounter)
5 - Shield Block
6 - Mocking Blow
7 - Rend

F1 - Charge/Intervene macro
F2 - Bloodrage + Thunderclap macro
F3 - Shockwave
F4 - Berserker Rage
F5 - Demoralizing Shout
F6 - Intimidating Shout

Mouse Keys (I have a 7-button mouse, which makes for all kinds of neat keybinding, but takes a little time to get used to)
M1 - Left-click
M2 - Right-click
M3 (Middle button) - Challenging Shout
M4 (Side button) - Shield Bash
M5 (Side button) - Disarm
M6 (Up) - Last Stand
M7 (Down) - Shield Wall

With few exceptions, most pulls begin with Heroic Throw + Charge with a quick Thunderclap, Shield Slam, Cleave, rotate to line up Shockwave, Revenge, Cleave, Thunderclap, Shockwave, then begin my normal clean-up rotation.

Radhja
06-02-2009, 03:45 AM
My complete bindings (Protection Paladin setup)

WADS - Forward, Turn Left, Turn Right, Backwards (default)
Q, E - Strafe Left/Right (default)
X - ... (NOT "Sit", lol)
T - ...I forget the Paladin "taunt" names. lol
F, G - Flying/Ground Mount

~ - Avenger's Shield
1 - Exorcism
2 - Hammer of Righteousness
3 - Shield of Righteousness
4 - Holy Shield
5 - Consecrate
6 - Holy Wrath

F1 - Judgement of Light
F2 - Judgement of Wisdom
F3 - Judgement of Justice
F4 - Divine Plea
F5 - Avenging Wrath

M3 - ...
M4 - Hammer of Judgement
M5 - ...

All heals and major cooldowns are still click-only.

Bear in mind I haven't tanked as a paladin nearly as long as I have with my warrior (I just hit 80 last night on my paladin, in fact. lol), but this is the setup I used while leveling and it's served me well.

9-6-9 works ok with this configuration. The Judgement positioning makes it feel more like a premeditated mode of combat rather than moving one judgement to the number line and spamming it ad nauseum.

As I said, I'm a paly nub, but this is what I roll with. Criticism welcome. :)

Sitri
06-02-2009, 11:38 AM
Awesome guide man i will surely try this out ASAP

Gorkk
06-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Zephryus
I'm no lefty, though i'd suggest to use the following mapping for movement keys, and of course the adequate mapping for other keys as suggested in the main article (i reckon you can adapt the advices for keys to use around the movement keys to work with these movement keys):
- bind movement to OKLM keys (or OKL, on QWERTY keyboards): this should give a lefty a feel equivalent to the ESDF binds for a righty.
- bind movement to PLMù (PL,- on a QWERTY): this should give a lefty a feel equivalent to the standard WASD binds for a righty.
Though both these suggestions have few downsides compared to the righty version in the modifiers department: you'll be replacing the Alt key with the Alt Gr key which functions as Ctrl+Alt, so i you were to use both Ctrl+key, Alt+key, and Ctrl+Alt+key shortcuts, you're out of luck; additionnally, on some keyboards, you'll have both a Windows key and a Menu key on the the right side, putting the Alt Gr key farther away from the Ctrl key - however you can probably use the Menu key as a modifier in WoW.

PS: hope i got the QWERTY keyboards keys reference right, don't have a QWERTY keyboard on hand to check them precisely, but i suppose you still get the idea.

Back on the general topic: I personally never even thought about eventually be a clicker, so I've been using shortcuts in WoW from day 1 (which was not so long ago though), like in pretty much other games (that goes back way longer in time :)). I haven't unbound the turn keys, even though i don't use them, and I mainly use 5 bars on 1...= with various modifiers (Shift, Ctrl, Alt, Ctrl+Alt), rarely populating those bars more than 1...6.
I have tag icons on hover shortcuts with Ctrl+Z...N (I find that being able to mark targets without having to actually select them is really of a big help), and stance/form changin on Shift+A...H.

Reading this guide though makes me want to try to change that a bit and sit down and really think through my shortcuts, bringing those keys closer to my movement keys. Gonna have to give that a shot. Might be hard to keep things consistent between characters and dual specs though.

KnThrak
06-06-2009, 01:18 AM
And in the end most people use a hybrid of keybinds and clicking. I still click the spells I rarely use and have keybound my bread and butter skills.

This can be further expanded.
You should have (albeit obscure) keybindings for any and all abilities you could ever need midfight - i.e.: while you're busy using the mouse for movement.
On the flipside, you should have clickable buttons, even if on a minimized auto-hiding bar somewhere in the corner, even for the super-spam-keybound abilities. Just in case you can't hit it right now because you're busy doing some obscure strafe-movement.

This allows you to freely use clicking OR keys for each and every ability.
The big upside of this is that independant of which specific fight mechanic ties up which hand right now, you can always trigger an ability.

E.g.:
I usually click my totems from Totemtimers. However, Tremor Totem, Cleansing Totem and Mana Tide Totem I got on keybinds since depending on the fight I may have to drop one right that very moment.

I do generally key-trigger ~15 of my char's abilities, while clicking the rest. However I frequently find myself click keybound abilities or keypressing clicked abilities. It's just one annoyance I wanted to get rid of and once I did it worked out pretty well.

Kinetix
06-12-2009, 10:47 PM
I'm left handed but i've always played every game as if i'm right handed. It's not that difficult to do. I find it easier to have my right hand move the mouse and my left hand do the key work. As a lefty, i'd say its good to have my left hand doing the harder stuff and my right hand doing the simple stuff. I just started keybinds and boy is it exhausting : )

Waddles
06-13-2009, 08:45 PM
great guide, im learning keybinds on my 22 warrior, but on my resto shammy i dont use keybinds i use clique and grid, i have CH as left click on my mouse, lesser healing wave as right click and riptide as mouswheel click. i also use shift and control to apply ES on tank and mana shield plus earthliving for myself accordingly

bmd
06-22-2009, 09:59 AM
One thing I like to do with my mouse is to bind the alternate buttons to the modifiers. On my G5 mouse, the left thumb button is "shift". This was assigned in the Logitech software. This allows me to avoid awkward hand combination and I have noticed my response time has increased this way. The tilts on the mouse wheel are CTRL and ALT, and the middle click is disabled (I hate middle clicking).

Dan Quixote
06-22-2009, 04:17 PM
For you lefties looking for a solution beyond the basic number pad, here's what I did:

1. Download either keytweak or sharpkeys. Both are freeware programs that let you remap keys on your keyboard. sharpkeys works with Window7, keytweak does not.

2. Remap numpad_0 to either alt or ctrl.

3. Profit. you just doubled the number of keys you have on the number pad.

I mouse turn and move forward with my mouse by holding mouse 1 and 2 down together. I do not have a "move forward" button anywhere. mouse 4 (behind the mousewheel) is my "back up" button, while the tilt on my mousewheel is my strafe. Crtl-tilt changes my stance. pressing the mousewheel is my tab target. I also remapped numpad_enter to spacebar and it is my jump button. (you have to remap it because just changing the binding will cause your normal enter key to jump too, instead of opening chat). Numpad+ is autorun.

Everything else is on the number pad, pageup, pagedown, home, end, and the alt-modified version of those. Put your rare use-non emergent stuff out on home, end, alt-home, alt-end, as they're a bit of a stretch. pageup and pagedown are very reachable in a hurry though.

If you're really hungry for even more keys there, you could remap numpad_enter to ctrl, and get another whole set of modifiers.

Darkconious
06-24-2009, 04:33 PM
Thank you once again Bloodwraith for the spreadsheet you posted with the key binds, it helped me a lot. I just wanted to share something that happened to me while learning my key binds playing my Human Warrior. This will benefit any Warrior for that matter.

Warriors unlike other classes have three stances Battle, Defensive and Berserker. They use 3 of the action bars provided in WoW to store the abilities you would use in each stance as follows: Battle Stance Bar 7, Defensive Stance Bar 8 and Berserker Stance Bar 9. You would not see this unless you use an addon such as Dominos.

Well dependent on the stance your warrior is in, Bar 1 will also show the abilities you have attached to the bar corresponding to the stance.

Well some of the quests or fights of the game require that you take over some device to control a machine or a mob to do damage onto another. The abilities of said item are also automatically attached to bar 1.

To make a long story short if you use Dominos, DO NOT disable bar 1.

While key binding my abilities I thought it was a good idea to disabled bar 1 and key bind all of my abilities using bars 2-10. I didn’t want the change of stances to affect the position of the abilities at the time (don’t ask you live and learn). After soloing some and getting used to the keys I decided I was ready for a raid.

We headed into Naxx and we come up on Instructor Razuvious and I am asked to take over one of the devices that control the understudies. I activated the device, but nothing happened. I was in control of the understudy, but I could not attack or taunt with him.

As a result I wiped the raid. I did not know what was going on at the time. To me it was a glitch. So another player and I switched places and cleared Razuvious.

In the end I had to rebind some of the keys, but since then everything has been working nicely.

Please find below the way I finally decided to key bind everything hopefully it helps you as well. Good luck.

4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download Warrior Keybinds Post 061509.xls (http://www.4shared.com/file/113953499/6c917437/Warrior_Keybinds_Post_061509.html)

siubosn
06-25-2009, 02:58 PM
For you lefties looking for a solution beyond the basic number pad, here's what I did:

1. Download either keytweak or sharpkeys. Both are freeware programs that let you remap keys on your keyboard. sharpkeys works with Window7, keytweak does not.

2. Remap numpad_0 to either alt or ctrl.

3. Profit. you just doubled the number of keys you have on the number pad.

I mouse turn and move forward with my mouse by holding mouse 1 and 2 down together. I do not have a "move forward" button anywhere. mouse 4 (behind the mousewheel) is my "back up" button, while the tilt on my mousewheel is my strafe. Crtl-tilt changes my stance. pressing the mousewheel is my tab target. I also remapped numpad_enter to spacebar and it is my jump button. (you have to remap it because just changing the binding will cause your normal enter key to jump too, instead of opening chat). Numpad+ is autorun.

Everything else is on the number pad, pageup, pagedown, home, end, and the alt-modified version of those. Put your rare use-non emergent stuff out on home, end, alt-home, alt-end, as they're a bit of a stretch. pageup and pagedown are very reachable in a hurry though.

If you're really hungry for even more keys there, you could remap numpad_enter to ctrl, and get another whole set of modifiers.

You have some very good ideas here and I will try them out as soon as I can. However, my real problem is I'm not a true Lefty. I'm actually right handed but when i taught myself to compute w/ cad prog. i learned to use the mouse w/ my Left an still do to this day. So i have my dominate right hand on the arrow keys and ole Lefty is mousing.
I'm just haveing problems finding a comfortable way to use keys on right side w/ out my fingers getting all twisted up. LOL :cool:
Thanks for the INFO
Zephryus

swayjay71
06-29-2009, 08:28 PM
The best thing I have ever done for my keybindings was to go to the registry of my computer and switch my Caps Lock and Ctrl keys around. The Caps Lock key is way easier to reach and I find normal functioning isnt effected too much by the change. Except for a few people around you who wonder why the hell your Caps Lock button doesnt work.

kingymech
07-08-2009, 05:07 AM
do you use an addon for the bindings or do it the old fasioned way in menu/key bindings

Darkconious
07-12-2009, 07:26 PM
do you use an addon for the bindings or do it the old fasioned way in menu/key bindings

I use Dominos. You can download it from curse: Dominos - Addons - Curse (http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/dominos.aspx)

However, my experience with this latest download is it appears that Tuller the project manager is working a bit ahead of him/her self and all of the toc files have the interface versions set to 30200 instead of 30100. Therefore, just go to the toc files and change the interface versions to 30100. If it is already at 30100, then don't bother it should work just fine.

Ofcourse all that will show up on the ui if you don't change the interface version is that the addon is outdated and it won't work. Also, easily remedied by pressing the button in the addon box in game to use outdated addons.

Again any questions let me know. :D

Bloodwraith
07-13-2009, 10:31 AM

I use Bartender4. Simply type /kb and hover your mouse over the specific button and kit the keybind :D.

unlisted
07-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Keybindings are as follows
W- foreawrd
A- Strafe Left
S - backpeddle
D - Strafe right

` - vent talk
1 - heroic throw, shift+1 - battle shout
2 - commanding shout, shift+2 - Thunderclap
3 - mount, shift+3 sheild wall/recklessness/Retaliation
4 - Shield Reflect, shift+4 - concussion blow
5 - intimidating shout, shift+5 - health potion

tab - rend, shift+tab - Enraged regen
Q - Bloodrage, Shift+Q - Berserker Rage
E - Heroic Strike, Shift+E - WotF
R - Autorun, Shift+R - Defensice Stance
T - Bandage, Shift+T - Cannibalize

F - Charge, Shift+F - Charge, Intervene, Intercept
G - Shockwave, Shift+G - Healthstone

Z - Trinket 1, Shift+Z - Trinket 2
X - Auto attack, Shift+X - Sheath weapons
C - Cleave, Shift+C - Shield Slam
V - Open Character pane, Shift+V - Last Stand
B - Open all bags

Spacebar - Jump, Shift+Spacebar - Shieldbash/Pummel

Numberpad used for marking targets and zooming in/out

Mouse
wheel up - Battle Stance, Shift+wheel up - Target next enemy
wheel down - Berserker Stance, Shift+wheel down - Target Previous enemy
wheel push - Demoralizing Shout, Shift+wheel push - Revenge/Slam
Left button top - Taunt, Shift+Top - Disarm/Overpower/Whirlwind
Left Bottom - Devastate, Shift + Bottom - Shield Block

Having everything bound is very beneficial when tanking anything, from heroics to end game Hardmodes, I've had keybindings since launch and keep the bindings as close as possible for all classes and alts, thinking how similar abilities can be used, or just what feels right at this point.

Kryptic
07-14-2009, 08:58 AM
whatever happened to that keyboard that was supposed to have mini lcd screens as keys, this would be huge to bind a picture to your keyboard.

**edit**
never mind found it retail price $1599

Ring0
07-14-2009, 04:38 PM
My keybindings for my Prot Warrior.
W - Forward
S - Back
A - Strafe Left
D - Strafe Right

1 - Shield Slam
2 - Revenge
3 - Thunderclap
4 - Devastate
5 - Shield Block
Shift+1 - Shockwave
Shift+2 - Concussion Blow
Shift+3 - Disarm
Control+2 - War Stomp

Q - Charge/Intervene/Intercept (macro)
E - Shield Bash/Pummel (macro)
R - Heroic Throw
T - Hamstring
F - Bloodrage
G - Shattering Throw
Z - Shield Wall
X - Spell Reflect
C - Ironshield Potion
Shift+Q - Charge/Intervene my focus (Very handy for Vezax kiting)
Shift+W - Zerker rage
Shift+E - Shield Bash/Pummel my focus (also very handy for interrupting on Vezax hard when tanking Animus)
Shift+R - Recklessness and back to Defensive macro
Shift+A - Battle Shout
Shift+S - Demoralizing Shout
Shift+D - Commanding Shout
Shift+F - Enraged Regeneration
Shift+G - Shoot
Shift+Z - Last Stand
Shift+X - Intimidating Shout
Shift+C - Challenging Shout
Control+Q - Defensive Stance
Control+W - Battle Stance
Control+E - Berserker Stance
F1 - Top Trinket slot
F2 - Bottom Trinket
Tab - Taunt.

I use the mouse for more than just looking around:
Mousewheel up - Heroic Strike
Mousewheel down - Cleave
Shift+MWUp - Zoom in
Shift+MWDown - Zoom out
Thumb wheel forward - Nearest hostile
Thumb wheel backward - Target previous hostile
Thumb wheel press - Auto-run
Right sidebutton - Ventrilo (It helps a LOT when calling things out on Ventrilo as a mouse button doesn't hinder your ability to do other things)

These might look a bit complicated but once you commit them to muscle memory they work wonders. I spent a long time planning out my keybindings to make them easy to use in combat and combined with a nice clean UI allow me to react very quickly and do my job :)

Leeroi
07-24-2009, 12:16 PM

I use the keyboard to "turn", but I find I never *just* turn. I have mapped the normal movement keys to ESDF with W and R being the strafing. Thus, by hitting W/F (or R/S) at the same time, I do a strafing turn - a trick I learned as a hunter kiting mobs around a Frost Trap. It is second nature to me to at this point, so turning is always incorporated with running at full speed. When tanking Anub in Naxx, (we still run him during the swarm...) I can strafe all the way around the edge of the green goo stream - I tap the F key from time to time to make the small adjustments in the turning. This lets me Avenger Shield him to slow him down (if I'm not in the swarm) as I strafe since he is still in the 180 frontal arc and if he does catch up and hit me, I don't have my back to him.

When I need to "cast and run like blazes" (clearing to Auriaya) I can sneak up sideways, cast, and strafe away at full speed, using the mouse to correct my angle as I strafe (yes, you can strafe while 'steering' with the right mouse button) once I get my right hand to the mouse.

As someone else pointed out, you rarely need to turn 180. Knowing my weakness on slow turns, I *never* have my back to my healers, which, btw, also helps me SEE them so I know if a mob (Shade...) has suddenly attacked them. I grab mobs and strafe/turn so that the mobs are in front of me (12:00) and the healers are off to the side (2:00 - 3:00 for example). If a mob gets loose, I strafe a bit (and turn slightly if needed) until that mob is "most" in front of me and tab. This gets them 90% of the time and the other mobs are still not behind me (I still get the dodge/parry/block benefits). It doesn't always work perfectly, but when I have a problem I find it is always because I was an idiot and positioned myself poorly - mouse turning won't help me with that.... I have found that clicking on a mob who is in the middle of 10 healers/ranged DPS isn't as easy as it sounds, and I am going to tab-select the mob no matter how I turned to face him.

I also find that if mobs surround me (ex: spiders in Naxx pulling you ala DK Death Grip into the middle of the mobs) I can very quickly strafe/turn to gather them all in front of me with the healers and ranged DPS still somewhere in front of me and to the side - all while using my right hand to drop consecrate and run my rotation at the same time. The strafe/turn also lets me gather and tighten the mobs without moving them around the floor as much. I can circle them, keeping them in generally one place while I get a few mobs out from behind me. This keeps the mobs in my own Consecrate better as well as any AoE going on and the mages like that.

So: for me, using 2 hands on the keyboard gives me more abilities than having one hand on the mouse. While turning is slower, I find I can avoid the need for instant turns by advanced planning and positioning. Having gotten good at strafing while turning at the same time, I have the ability to do a number of good things I could not do with a mouse, all the while keeping up my rotations or using certain abilities. For PvP I am sure I would be dead, but that is why I only tank in PvE....

(If my sig shows 20K armor, I'm in my Healing gear...)

Dravok
07-28-2009, 05:54 AM
I see some keybinds for warriors and paladins but I could use some examples to consider using and modifying for a Frost DK tank. I'm also left handed so I use the mouse with it and buttons with my right hand.

Radhja
07-30-2009, 06:50 AM
Eww, lefty!

I know there's a considerable number of lefties out there, and I cannot imagine how you actually coordinate attacks... my brother is a lefty, and insists on using the Num pad to move, and he jumps back and worth with the mouse and normal number keys... it's insane, but he's a nub anyway... maybe that's why. :P

I'd like to see a lefty's keybinds that have been tested to be efficient placement. I can't "see" it.

WADS ftw, imo.

Shadevarr
07-30-2009, 12:38 PM
left handed layout

mouse for movement and strafe toggling
arrow keys for fine control and backing up
middle wheel button press for camera reverse (so I can look behind me quickly without moving)

insert: shield wall
home: shoot
page up: last stand + healthstone
delete : baudmark keybind
end : heroic throw
page down : charge/intercept macro

(on humpad)

/ : disarm
*: mocking blow
- : spell reflect
+ : intervene/taunt macro
. : berzerker rage
1 : devastate + bloodrage macro
2: revenge
3: shield slam + bloodrage + trinket macro
4: heroic strike
5: shield bash
6: thunderclap
7: cleave
8: concussion blow
9: shockwave
0: shield block

F12: fight specific raid warning macro (if needed)
backspace: auto-run

on mouseclick on a floaty bar (thanks to bartender) all shouts and vigilance

This layout assumes mouse on left side for comfort reasons.

rasiem
08-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Hey guys I was searching the net to find some useful way to make tanking easier and finally found it but cant figure out how to open the spreadsheet I want to use this for all my chars.

Bloodwraith
08-04-2009, 11:40 AM
Hey guys I was searching the net to find some useful way to make tanking easier and finally found it but cant figure out how to open the spreadsheet I want to use this for all my chars.

I believe if you aren't using a vista computer you have to download a converter.

Looking on microsoft I think this is the solution:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=941b3470-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466

rasiem
08-04-2009, 11:52 AM
I am using vista though

Bloodwraith
08-04-2009, 12:26 PM
I am using vista though

Do you have office 2007?

rasiem
08-04-2009, 12:36 PM
yea when I download from the link u gave do I open the file that reads [content types] or extract from whats in the 3 folders or go to office open etc.

Bloodwraith
08-04-2009, 12:57 PM
I think you should be able to just hit run, accept terms, and it installs itself. But I downloaded a while back so I might be wrong.

rasiem
08-04-2009, 01:28 PM
do i put the files on my desktop or in office folder

Bloodwraith
08-04-2009, 01:35 PM
do i put the files on my desktop or in office folder

I don't think it matters, just run it.

rasiem
08-04-2009, 01:39 PM
shouldnt it come up like the pictures u posted because it dont it just comes up as a bunch of BS letters and stuff. or maby because im running excel 2007 because I see everyone else has 2003.

Bloodwraith
08-04-2009, 02:26 PM
shouldnt it come up like the pictures u posted because it dont it just comes up as a bunch of BS letters and stuff. or maby because im running excel 2007 because I see everyone else has 2003.

It should look like my screenshot. If it doesn't, I honestly don't know what else could fix it.

rasiem
08-04-2009, 02:33 PM
could u send me what u have maby via e-mail maby the link u posted is no good ?

rasiem
08-04-2009, 02:55 PM
when I download it I get a folder called keymapping I open that and theres 3 folders and a file called [content types] I click the file and it opens an internet explorer tab with a bunch of letters and stuff.

Bloodwraith
08-04-2009, 06:11 PM

When I download this it has one file. A converting window appears and then the spreadsheet opens.

Arc Da Rat
08-04-2009, 07:40 PM
<SNIP>

Pharaunmizz recently showed me a very useful spreadsheet that I'm sure the TS community could use. It was made by Tielc - Akama Horde (US). It is an Excel sheet that has been modified to look like a keyboard. It has pictures of all prot warrior abilities and they can be dragged around onto whichever key you like. It also has a few other classes and I'm sure if someone put in the effort, they could make one for any class they wanted to. You can download it here:

<SNIP>
I was trying to download this excel file to visual see what I was doing to my keyboard for keybindings. Apparently there is no Excel files in the zip file, just a bunch of XML & rel files. Anyone have the original up-loaded?

EDIT: When I last checked there was no one that posted about this earlier (about 12 hrs ago) or I missed it. I'm going to try this on my desktop computer (XP Media Edition). I had downloaded the file on my laptop which is running Vista Home Premium Edition and MS Office Premium 2000.

rasiem
08-04-2009, 08:09 PM
ya thats what its doing to me if u figure out the problem please tell me what u did.

Arc Da Rat
08-04-2009, 11:28 PM
I just tried re-downloading the file on to my desktop computer and I installed the converter for MS Office from the Link Bloodwraith posted. Its still a no go. I get a XML code text on my excel sheet when I open any of the XML files on a blank doc. If I click on the icon in the folder it opens in IE as XML code type stuff. So I'm at a total lost. Maybe I'll try this again when I get Office 2007.

Desktop: OS=XP Media Center Edition; MS Office = 2000 Premium + Project 2003 & Visio 2002

Laptop: OS=Vista Home Premium; MS Office = 2000 Premium

rasiem
08-05-2009, 04:00 AM
I have office 2007 and it is doing the same thing bro I think its the uploaded file because iv tried everything and im getting the same issues.

Bloodwraith
08-05-2009, 05:41 AM
It can't be the uploaded file because I downloaded it again yesterday when I tested it. It was one xlxs file.

Arc Da Rat
08-05-2009, 09:49 PM
It can't be the uploaded file because I downloaded it again yesterday when I tested it. It was one xlxs file.

Yes, I don't think it's the uploaded files either, if only 2 people are not able to see them and you had tested them yourself. I'm checking both of my computer for any missing updates etc. Maybe that might do the trick.

Edit: After updating Office & some other OS things, still not wanting to work in the correct manor.
I know it has to be a combatiblity issue between the file and the version of MS Office I have.

ironfox
08-18-2009, 08:42 AM
Im A Clicker. The reason for this is because im left handed :(. I can never get a good place to keybind because i use the arrow keys to walk. So clicking is my only option. any recommendations? :D
Ironfox. x

Satyn30
08-18-2009, 04:15 PM
Ok, so for the past few days I have been studying up on keybinding, also i have read every page of this topic i believe and still have one question left unanswered. Forgive me if i missed it, but is there a way to keep your keybinds specific to each toon you play and to each spec it has? Or do you have to reset the keybinds everytime you switch specs or toons?

Vorla
08-19-2009, 07:02 AM
Im A Clicker. The reason for this is because im left handed :(. I can never get a good place to keybind because i use the arrow keys to walk. So clicking is my only option. any recommendations? :D
Ironfox. x

I have a lefthanded friend who uses IJKL for movement and YUOP7890 for his "number" keybinds. Will probably take a bit to get used to but a lot more keys to work with. Using ctrl and shift will give you some more options for the numpad if you prefer to keep your hand there, and maybe use 5123 for movement?

Harimella
08-21-2009, 12:40 AM
Ok, so for the past few days I have been studying up on keybinding, also i have read every page of this topic i believe and still have one question left unanswered. Forgive me if i missed it, but is there a way to keep your keybinds specific to each toon you play and to each spec it has? Or do you have to reset the keybinds everytime you switch specs or toons?I can't remember how it is with WoW without addons but if you use addon like Dominos, then you can make profiles for every toon and probably for different specs too.
You should try and maybe you will be happy with Dominos (I can't play WoW without it nowadays :) ).

ironfox
08-26-2009, 04:11 AM
I have a lefthanded friend who uses IJKL for movement and YUOP7890 for his "number" keybinds. Will probably take a bit to get used to but a lot more keys to work with. Using ctrl and shift will give you some more options for the numpad if you prefer to keep your hand there, and maybe use 5123 for movement?

Thank you for this, i have tweeked around the buttons you have said to use, and i am now officially a keybinder :D lol. now my friends cant call me 'Pro clicker' lol. thank you! Ironfox x.

Gluebag
08-26-2009, 08:47 AM
This is really simple, but I threw it together just to have a visual way of organizing my keybinds and consolidate multiple skills into one key where possible. A red square in the corresponding stance column means the ability is usable in that stance. There's an extra column with a box that's blue if the ability requires a shield

The top of the chart has all the abilities that can be used in all three stances. After that I grouped abilities that could be consolidated to one key because they are only available in certain stances. These are divided by black lines.

I grouped them according to what made sense for the way I play and realize people might prefer different, but it's a starting point and I figured it might be useful to someone else, so here it is:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AvDU4ZtVp115dFVyempYbGVDb29ZTlQxR2FNVjNiU Hc&hl=en

Mordigen
08-27-2009, 08:41 AM
Some nice reading here if you have the time haha. I started wow as really my first MMO and ran with stock bars and everything till I learned more about addons and such and used the mouse click and keyboard moving approach for everything but that was in the days that I played my pally and basically all I did was stand still and spam cleanse and flash heals where I just watched health bars and decursive.

After switching to my for fun dps warrior and finishing out his last few levels to get to 60 to help with tanking in MC, so long ago it seems, I slowly learned that was slow reactions, still doable but once difficulty levels and aggro became issues and more that just single target mobs and such I switched over to some keybindings and worked on getting use to that.

Now I use my mouse for nearly all movements. I was not big into researching a good mouse and ended up getting that WOW mouse haha and now I like it with autorun on a thumb button, right click turning, and two more thumb buttons as strafe each side, I even use a button to tab target which leaves my right hand open to all sorts of keybindings for abilities. Like everyone has stated you pretty much have to find a layout that works for you and where you know where to click to do each ability and be able to do it accurately without looking all the time. I also went with the solo grinding or farming approach to learn this where issues like threat are non existent and you can play around and move keybindings without holding people up. Once you get a hang of it move on to 5 mans or even heroics if you are good enough and know the group where if you do slip it wont be a huge deal and you can laugh it off, "woops, wrong button, my bad." The hardest part for me is still targeting where I want to click target with my mouse but even then my eyes are still on the screen. There will be the occasional ability that you will use on your action bar but the majority of your main ones should be memorized and with your key binds.

It takes time and effort but you can learn it in time and once you do you wont want to go back and it will increase your game experience once you can look at the screen and see all that is going on and not where to click your mouse. Sorry I babble on a bit to explain my self. Good luck!

Sergey
09-23-2009, 05:43 AM
I need some advice as a Hunter.
I have well over 45 keybinds currently. I use a WASD Gaming keyboard (QWE/ASD stacked, numbers above in 2 rows, all accessible w/ modifiers as well, one handed).
What are the MAJOR skills/macros that I would need to use (not counting basic rotation skills) and learn keybinds of first?

I currently have: Feign Death, Disengage, Deterrence, Pet Macros, Freezing Trap, Focus macro, Scatter Shot, PvP trink... Any others?

We're around 1300 in 3's and was going excellent, then came against about 8 Shammy/Hunter zerg teams with another random stunning DPS in a row and dropped so much. Like it'scoming down to Hunter (or Shammy) sitting on 2k hp and then I die, if the first DPS died before me we'd be fine. Just need that .5 of a second edge (keybinds ;)) :P

Bloodwraith
09-23-2009, 01:43 PM
I need some advice as a Hunter.
I have well over 45 keybinds currently. I use a WASD Gaming keyboard (QWE/ASD stacked, numbers above in 2 rows, all accessible w/ modifiers as well, one handed).
What are the MAJOR skills/macros that I would need to use (not counting basic rotation skills) and learn keybinds of first?

I currently have: Feign Death, Disengage, Deterrence, Pet Macros, Freezing Trap, Focus macro, Scatter Shot, PvP trink... Any others?

We're around 1300 in 3's and was going excellent, then came against about 8 Shammy/Hunter zerg teams with another random stunning DPS in a row and dropped so much. Like it'scoming down to Hunter (or Shammy) sitting on 2k hp and then I die, if the first DPS died before me we'd be fine. Just need that .5 of a second edge (keybinds ;)) :P

I haven't ever really put much time into playing a hunter so skill wise you'll have to figure it out for yourself. Your most important keybinds would be your most commonly used offensive, defensive, and CC abilities.

Kreature
10-02-2009, 05:17 AM
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t103/bloodwraith816/kbexamp.jpg

Pharaunmizz recently showed me a very useful spreadsheet that I'm sure the TS community could use. It was made by Tielc - Akama Horde (US). It is an Excel sheet that has been modified to look like a keyboard. It has pictures of all prot warrior abilities and they can be dragged around onto whichever key you like. It also has a few other classes and I'm sure if someone put in the effort, they could make one for any class they wanted to. You can download it here:

That's it for now. I hope this helps clear some things up and I'm open to any info or suggestions :D
I cant open this with Openoffice can anyone help? thanks

Kreature
10-02-2009, 05:36 AM
Thank you for this, i have tweeked around the buttons you have said to use, and i am now officially a keybinder :D lol. now my friends cant call me 'Pro clicker' lol. thank you! Ironfox x.

Have you tried using the Num pad 5123 for movement? You can then use all the other surrounding buttons for Keybinds, this might even let you group your spells using the arrows for some spells and the home,end,pgup,pgdn,delete etc for others.
Another thing I would suggest is what Vorla suggested but move over 2 rows so your using Pl;' for movement. This would give you easier access to the Modi buttons without having to move away from your movement buttons. :rolleyes: Hope this helps, Happy clicking

Alloy20
10-06-2009, 02:21 AM
Great guide. I am sorry to say that I do click a little too much and have been trying to pull myself off it little by little. I have most things bound now but not all, definetly using that spreadsheet to get my key binds down correctly. Also incase anyone is interested I have added a bindings and complete abilities page for DK's. Just can't find a half decent place to upload it atm.

Tictocolypse
10-07-2009, 09:51 AM
I've read all 6 pages of this post and haven't found any mention of the method I use.

I use a Logitech MX518 mouse.
http://base1.googlehosted.com/base_media?q=FroogleCatalog_CNETI311718.jpg&size=4&dhm=b7b12280&hl=en
Where most people bind their mouse keys to particular abilities, I use my thumb keys as modifiers. The closer, bigger thumb button being Shift, and the smaller, farther thumb button being Ctrl (I avoid using Alt as a modifier because I do alot of Tab-targeting and swiching targets while using a keybind modified with Alt ends up minimizing your client (Alt-Tab) = not good.

My left hand home keys are 3-4-5-6, giving me easy access, without looking, to keys 1-8. Thats 24 available keybinds with use of modifiers. While playing my warlock, I use T (attack) and Y (follow) for pet control and I use F4, F5, F6 for various reactive or situational abilities (Voidwalker Sacrifice, Soul Shatter, Lay on Hands, Ice Block, Fade, ect.)

There are limitations with this setup that have always bugged me though, such as my inability to strafe while turning with the mouse and using an ability bound to 1-3.

As a caster, I find no practical use for strafing, even in pvp. Jumping (while running) and mouse-turning to use an instant ability on my pursuer while in mid air and then getting my character turned back forward before hitting the ground (maintaining your forward motion) seems to be a sufficient alternative. It sounds complicated, but when you know your keybinds, its a pretty simple maneuver.

Now that I'm tanking with my pally, I struggle with positioning. More specifically, facing them the direction I want them to be. The method I see most tanks use is to strafe around the target, rotating them in place. Having no need for strafing as a caster, and being so comfortable with my current style, I haven't taken the time or effort to implement strafing. The method I use to get a boss facing where I want it (away from the party/raid in most cases) is simply to back away from it. The problem I have alot of the time is, when the mob/boss is where I want it, and I stop backing up, it continues to walk right through me and then turn around, facing my back and the raid. I do move my hand off of my home keys occasionally to use the strafe method of positioning but its something I hate to do and try to avoid (moving my hand off my home keys).

On another note, my setup wouldn't work very well for melee in PvP because they obviously can't function in combat at 100% without strafing.

My only, far out there, idea to implement strafing into my setup is... foot pedals. I know, its crazy. When I originally purchased a mouse with thumb buttons, I was intending to use them to strafe, putting full movement control in my right and, leaving my left hand dedicated to abilities through keybinds. Maybe I just didn't stick with it long enough, but I couldn't seem to coordinate my brain and my hand to get the desired level of control. I also have small hands, short fingers. Shift-5 is a stretch, Ctrl-5 is obviously worse. Using my thumb buttons as modifiers came very naturally though and I've used this method for almost a year straight. I think having two foot pedals keybound to be strafe-left and strafe-right would make the setup godly for melee PvP, granted it would be a little extreme for mob positioning while tanking.

Just thought I'd share my thoughts and ideas.
-Tic

Swam
10-07-2009, 09:55 AM
wtb foot pedals

Bloodwraith
10-07-2009, 01:50 PM
Added a link to an addon that tests you on your keybinds to help you learn them.

100k Views! If anyone has suggestions for the guide please feel free to reply :D

Darkconious
10-12-2009, 07:28 AM
Added a link to an addon that tests you on your keybinds to help you learn them.

100k Views! If anyone has suggestions for the guide please feel free to reply :D

Sorry Bloodwraith, I don't see the link. Which addon are you referring to???

Bloodwraith
10-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Sorry Bloodwraith, I don't see the link. Which addon are you referring to???

It's in the second to last line ;)

Here's the link:

HelpMeKeybind - Addons - Curse (http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/hmk.aspx)

Kzanol
10-13-2009, 09:09 AM
thx for this guide!

1rst of all, even if you don't bind "R" to anything: GET RID OF DEFAULT BINDING TO "Respond to latest whisper". ^^

luv2tank
10-13-2009, 09:18 AM
keyboard turners are now to be called "strafers"-this is the pc term. Thank you all-good day!

Darkconious
10-19-2009, 11:57 AM
It's in the second to last line ;)

Here's the link:

HelpMeKeybind - Addons - Curse (http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/hmk.aspx)

Thank you very much. That's the reason we turn to you for advise. You still the man in my book.

Bloodwraith
10-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Thank you very much. That's the reason we turn to you for advise. You still the man in my book.

Ubermicro13
12-03-2009, 06:36 PM
Hey, for that excel spreadsheet with the G15 and MX Revoltion, can you add the Protection Paladin Icons. I really like the idea of having it on a spreadsheet. If you can get those Icons I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Sukide
12-07-2009, 07:14 PM
keyboard turners are now to be called "strafers"-this is the pc term. Thank you all-good day!

Strafing is NOT keyboard turning.

For one, strafing is efficient and beneficial. Keyboard turning is neither.

Soul_warden
12-22-2009, 06:48 PM
For everyone that is having trouble opening the keybindings.xlsx file, here is a workaround. Right click the link http://www.pvptutorial.com/files/help/keybinding.xlsx an select Save Target As... On the Save As Type dropdown box, change it from Compresed (Zipped) File to All Files, and rename the file from keybinding.zip to keybinding.xlsx. Select Save and the file should open as normal.

Thanks for the post Bloodwraith, this guide is a big help!

Ariedan
12-22-2009, 09:44 PM
Strafing is NOT keyboard turning.

For one, strafing is efficient and beneficial. Keyboard turning is neither.
This a thousand times. Strafing can be very efficient movement for many situations, and is nothing like keyboard turning. Just because it uses the keyboard doesn't mean it should be likened to keyboard turning.

Arc Da Rat
01-15-2010, 08:02 PM
For everyone that is having trouble opening the keybindings.xlsx file, here is a workaround. Right click the link http://www.pvptutorial.com/files/help/keybinding.xlsx an select Save Target As... On the Save As Type dropdown box, change it from Compresed (Zipped) File to All Files, and rename the file from keybinding.zip to keybinding.xlsx. Select Save and the file should open as normal.

Thanks for the post Bloodwraith, this guide is a big help!

Ok after I did what Soul Warden said, I also tried clicking the link (that is posted above) and it works properly now.

Weird. Much Thanks.

Pharaunmizz
03-04-2010, 12:53 PM
If that link ever breaks toss me an e-mail at ui@pvptutorial.com and I'll try to fix it.

Bloodwraith
03-14-2010, 05:42 PM
Changed the OP a bit. As always I'm open to suggestions :D

Zaroshy-Darksorrow
08-23-2010, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the thread and helpfull posts :)

Although im getting abit confused because i have an Epeen score of over 9000 !
im getting muddled up with this keyboard turning n mouse turning ????? so confusing :S

I myself use my mouse to click and keyboard WASD to turn :) This is because i suck at life and am lazy to change my ways :D
although after reading this guide i think im going to give it a try ^^ but im sure ill get to a point were i will still suck at PvP !!!!

I NEED A GUIDE WHICH TELLS ME WHAT OTHER CLASSES HAVE AND WHAT THEY CAN DO TO ME IN ARENA !!!!
alot of the things as i move foward onto abit higher PvP aka tourny realm FTW i learn that " Enhance shamans when they pop shamanist rage get mana from melee attacks in order to win you can starv him of his mana by using this to your advantage and CCing him when he pops it" I DIDNT KNOW THAT ! LUL WUT ! Soooo sum l33t druid told me and this was just a small example ! I NEED MORE THOUGH :D PLX !!!!!! other classes ability's and ways in which to overcome and avoid them from killing me or my team mate's and ways i can work around the situation so it becomes to my advantage !!! Im yet to find a guide which note's all the ability's from other classes regarded as being a NEED TO KNOW SO YOU CAN ROFL THERE FACES TO THE GROUND GUIDE FOR NOOBS AND CATS WHO CANT READ !!! ;) please please please make a useful guide like this ide give you like +2k of my Epeen and grant you loads of +rep and kisses n maybe sum suprise sex :P anyway this is where im getting stuck at and ide love for someone to make a guide like this sooooo much !!!!

Much love and Regards - Zaroshy EU Darksorrow :)

Email me at legendarymax92@gmail.com
if you find or make something like this it would be so great ide like uhmmmm run around naked screaming "On Wow" im not that Physco Geez.

Bloodwraith
08-31-2010, 09:07 PM
I started to write something like that a while back. But it took me a fairly long time to do my own class' section let alone a class that I didn't play. On top of that you have to consider all of the work that would go into updating it every patch. I gave it up due to lack of time and will to do it. Might try again after 4.0 launches though.

Valiar
06-14-2011, 02:48 AM
Well I fond a good youtube guide about Keybinds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZLPzCuejWQ so if you are to lazy to read the whole topic here, you might drop there.

Ericastar
05-12-2012, 01:35 AM
Very good post :D !!