PDA

View Full Version : Caster loot priorities

sevve
11-26-2008, 04:58 AM
At the moment I am trying to distribute loot for my guild in a way that benefits the guild, while trying to be fair.
The new caster itemization is causing me a huge headache.

So far I have been giving spirit gear to healing priests and druids, mp5 to resto shammies and holy pallies and hit items to damage casters. Anything not involving these stats are ffa.

Most people seem to be happy about this, but some are unhappy because they claim damage casters need spirit/mp5 aswell now(not even considering the +damage contribution from spirit as it is very minor).

Anyone with some helping thoughts on this? How do you sort this in your guild?

orcstar
11-26-2008, 08:18 AM
Well, I haven't done it yet, but what Im going to do is look at the tier set stat distribution, that should give a good idea which stats are intended for which class/spec.

blackhand
11-26-2008, 10:05 AM
You might be better off, if you go through all the loot tables and state which pieces will get which class/spec priority. That way during the raid there will be no surprises.

NewfieDave
11-26-2008, 07:18 PM
I would check with your Priests before assigning them all the spirit gear. I play a Disc Priest and while spirit is a useful stat, it is hardly the best stat for my role. Holy gets bonus spell power from spirit; for Disc, ~2.4 spirit = 1 mp5 with no other benefit. That's right - for Disc, spirit and mp5 are interchangeable. Also, with the amount of +X% mana regen available (especially from Rapture), intellect becomes a much more useful stat in Disc's itemization. It gives great returns with Mental Agility and provides much needed extra crit (which along with haste is an important stat for the Disc healing role).

Holy probably still wants to stack as much spirit as possible, but Disc should treat it as bonus regen.

NewfieDave
11-26-2008, 11:00 PM
Edit: Meant Mental Strength, not Mental Agility.

Fayre
11-27-2008, 06:40 PM
We don't prioritise, instead we try to teach people what kinds of stats are good for them. Yes, people still make some funky decisions sometimes, but overall I'd rather have that, and for them to learn from that, than an argument about whether paladins or shamans get the most out of mp5 (or some similar trivia) :)

manatank
12-02-2008, 10:31 AM
for Disc, ~2.4 spirit = 1 mp5 with no other benefit. That's right - for Disc, spirit and mp5 are interchangeable

Well, that assumes that you have no druids to toss you an innervate. If you do, then spirit becomes much more valuable than straight mp5. When ever you can utilize the 5 second rule you also come out ahead. I do agree with the general idea that spirit is less valuable for disc than holy, but all other things equal, you'd still prefer spirit over mp5.

macfeagle
01-10-2009, 03:06 AM
The Naxx 10 loot tables contain a huge number of items that have spirit on them, and in some slots, there are no items that don't have spirit. I haven't verified that the 25-man tables are similar, because I am not a caster, but I assume they are.

Spirit is no longer a good indicator that an item is a healing item, because if it is, non-healers are going to be wearing blues.

I try to convince people to make a list of their best in slot ups at each level of progression, so they don't get epic fever about everything and end up having to pass what they really want if it drops later.

Painashne
01-11-2009, 04:40 PM
I am not sure how you do loot council in your guild, but the way you describe your situation sounds like you are leaving out some important factors.

A) Who wants the gear? I tend to trust people who link for a particular item (I RW the drop, others link what they have now). I'm sure that this is far from infallible but on the whole people who don't ask for it can't complain.

B) What stats are being upgraded? If it's a straight spell damage/int/stam increase, I'm sure any class will link for it regardless of whether or not it has spirit. Heck we had a shaman whose cloak was so low level that he took something with hit that no one else needed just because it had more of all those stats.

If all else fails you can use Kaliban's Class Loot Lists (http://www.wow-loot.com) although I have heard perfectly rational arguments against their tables. I think you should just trust that anyone who asks for the item believes it's an upgrade. If you can't even trust them to know how to gear/spec, consider having a CL talk to them, since I doubt they will be putting out the right kind of DPS (especially end-game) anyway. After you get over this hurdle, you can allocate loot based on other things like attendance or whose current item is worse.