PDA

View Full Version : WotLK What do you watch while tanking

Nekt
11-25-2008, 01:20 PM
Since WotLK I seem to have gone "Deer in the Head Lights" while tanking. I spend so much time watching my cooldowns (my rotation) that I find it hard to do my other duties: monitor my health, debuffs, rage, the other mobs, and the posts from my raid/instance partners.

An earlier post--http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f148/34905-what-do-you-watch-while-tanking.html-- covered much of what people watched during Burning Crusade. What do you watch now that WotLK is out and your rotation is driven by your cooldowns? Even better, what do you recommend for those of us who have lost our situational awareness.

Krashtork
11-26-2008, 09:08 AM
Well, while tanking Lotheb in Naxx I watch facebook IM :P

Krysana
11-27-2008, 06:09 AM
All my important abilities are keybinded and since they aren't all clumped up in the same spot on my screen, I can tell immediately what is on cooldown in the blink of an eye. (example: My devastate is on the far left corner, revenge is on the far right, shockwave is 2 bars lower on the right, shield block is 2 bars lower on the left, etc.)

I've main tanked and lead the raids for my guild for a couple months now so I took the habit of looking at everything at once except some very specific fights where I have a very specific role that I can't afford to miss.

Kyoki
11-27-2008, 06:18 AM
I generally watch tv. I know my basic rotation and I TC when i need to and I have addons to tell me when s&b procs. Unless there is alot of moving or something that i cant miss I dont really pay much attention while im tanking.

Nekt
11-27-2008, 08:24 AM
I have addons to tell me when s&b procs. Which add on do you use?

Kyoki
11-27-2008, 08:34 AM
Which add on do you use?

I just stole parts of xavs ui that I liked and used some different addons that I prefered.

ghostpulse

1. Go into "Frames" and create a new frame named "S&B"
2. In the settings for that frame, check "Player Buff Gains" and uncheck everything else.
3. Still in the settings for the frame, type "Sword and Board" into the whitelist field and press 'Enter'.

You can repeat that for every Pulse you want, if you want the pulses in different spots, like I have them. I have 3 different profiles due to the 3 different locations. If you want them all in the same spot, you can just make a generalized one and whitelist more than just the one ability.

Shadevarr
12-04-2008, 04:26 PM
EventAlarm here, I didn't like ghostpulse.

Petninja
12-04-2008, 04:47 PM
I got an addon that stuck numerical cool downs on my action bars and between that and a little internal timing on my part from hours spent grinding mobs to level I don't have much trouble anymore. There's an addon called Jim's Cooldowns or something but I don't know if it's been updated past 2.4 yet. Was pretty cool back in the day.

Rootkitworm
12-04-2008, 05:03 PM
When tanking, I usually have a cigarette and a cup of coffee nearby. When I get down to business that's how it goes. I also tend to listen to TV and glance at it, or play the radio.

S&B makes that shield wall sound when it procs and imo that is just fine. I am more comfortable with that then stuff flashing on screen.

Only addons I use are Omen,BigWigs,Auctioneer,Questhelper,Gatherer, and Outfitter. I glance between my rage bar, positioning of group, positioning of mobs, Omen, and then the TV or my cat, lol.