PDA

View Full Version : Obsidian Sanctum Sartharion

Ciderhelm
11-24-2008, 04:27 AM
This movie is available for direct download for Donors. Click here to learn more! (http://www.tankspot.com/premium.php)

cRARJSTEE6g

Lower Resolution (Low Bandwidth)
cRARJSTEE6g

Encounter Details
This is the first of the TankSpot raid guides. Sartharion is the recommended starter instance for 10-man groups. This video is made with all three drakes killed; leaving drakes alive prior to engaging Sartharion will make him more difficult but will increase the number and quality of loot (culminating in a drake mount with all three left alive).

Achievement Note
I am incorrect about the Achievement listed in the video. It is based on avoiding the flames falling from the sky, not the flame walls.

Ciderhelm
11-24-2008, 04:40 AM
TankSpot10Sartharion.wmv - FileFront.com@@AMEPARAM@@http://static.filefront.com/ffv6/player/vp_embed.swf?v=854256@@AMEPARAM@@static.filefront. com/ffv6/player/vp_embed.swf?v=854256

//edit: Swapped these. YouTube has better embed resolution than I expected, so I'll keep it as the primary source.

Krashtork
11-24-2008, 05:52 AM
Seriously, I love this video format. It's a great no bullshit here's what you need to do to get the job done way of doing it. I also like that it wasn't sped up faster than it would be in game. I hate videos that do that because It's hard to get a realistic feel for what to expect. I really hope you do this for all the WoTLK encounters.

Couple comments:

1) "...make him more difficult but will increase the number and quality of drakes..." I think you meant loot.

2) I don't think you mentioned that if the adds are hit by the lava wave they will grow and become more difficult to manage via increased health and damage output.

Roarc
11-24-2008, 06:16 AM
Very easy going video, good style imo! Have yet to try this encounter but will probably do so tonight! :D

Finnit
11-24-2008, 10:42 AM
Very nice video, thank you.

Two questions, what unit frame addon are you using for the 3d view, and what are your specs and video settings. That seemed extremely smooth for having fraps or whatever video capture you were using.

Paramount
11-24-2008, 10:58 AM
So I assume this raid is possible to complete shortly after hitting level 80 then?

Ciderhelm
11-24-2008, 11:02 AM
So I assume this raid is possible to complete shortly after hitting level 80 then?
Correct.

Ion
11-24-2008, 11:02 AM
I've been wondering, and I haven't seen anywhere, if you leave the three drakes up (which we're going to do, since the fight was super trivial w/them down...we even 8-manned it our first attempt) if it's just the more HP, more fire and more shadow damage or if you have to in some way actually deal with the mini-bosses as well.

I'm GUESSING that you don't have to deal with them because it'd be almost impossible to deal with in a 10 man...too much tanking required.

Ciderhelm
11-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Ion, I have no idea. Have only had one kill on him so far, and I think it'll be another week after this one before we start trying out the no-drake strategy.

Paramount
11-24-2008, 11:12 AM
From what I've read on wowwiki, it seems that you engage Sartharion AS WELL AS all three drakes.

This also makes sense because the buffs that Sartharion get are auras. So the drakes have to be close enough to him so that he can get the auras.

This means you have to do the portal phases on each drake on top of avoiding lava waves on top of dealing with elemental spawns.

If this is true...well it sounds pretty dang hard.

The kill order for the drakes would probably be: Shadron first to eliminate the bulk of the increased damage then either Tenebron for more decreased damage or Vesperon for less health (these auras apply to the elemental spawns too).

You'd also need to have a designated OT/DPS/Healer to go into each portal as they spawn. Which would hurt a lot in terms of raid survivability.

Those are my thoughts on the raid...but to be honest I have no idea how the fight works aside from just reading haha.

Paramount
11-24-2008, 11:14 AM
Oh and one more question, how was the clear time in that pug?

I was thinking of starting out raids with the vault of Archavon (I'm going to call it VoA) as well as Obsidian Sanctum.

Just wondering if it would be realistic to clear them back to back.

Ion
11-24-2008, 12:01 PM
From what I've read on wowwiki, it seems that you engage Sartharion AS WELL AS all three drakes.

This also makes sense because the buffs that Sartharion get are auras. So the drakes have to be close enough to him so that he can get the auras.

This means you have to do the portal phases on each drake on top of avoiding lava waves on top of dealing with elemental spawns.

If this is true...well it sounds pretty dang hard.

The kill order for the drakes would probably be: Shadron first to eliminate the bulk of the increased damage then either Tenebron for more decreased damage or Vesperon for less health (these auras apply to the elemental spawns too).

You'd also need to have a designated OT/DPS/Healer to go into each portal as they spawn. Which would hurt a lot in terms of raid survivability.

Those are my thoughts on the raid...but to be honest I have no idea how the fight works aside from just reading haha.

I really have a hard time believing that. It does have a (verify?) after that statement on the wiki...so I'm guessing that it's pure speculation.

Unless the drakes themselves don't attack the raid, but simply just channel an aura into Sartharion, I can't imagine it being doable w/10 people...there's just too much going on to be handled by 10 people.

I'm going to have to give it a try on the next reset...I'm too curious to know how it works...it's worth a few wipes to figure it out.

Xav
11-24-2008, 01:17 PM
The 10 man version of Sartharion with all of the drakes up is more difficult than the 25 man version of the same, due to the fact that you still need several tanks and they take up a huge percentage of your raid compared to the 25 man version. It takes a significantly stacked raid to stand a chance in the 10 man version with all 3 drakes up.

Pramm
11-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Cool Video!

With this though I'm confused... What is the order of 10 man and 25 man... Is it The Obsidian Sanctum first or was it Naxx?

Best of regards,

veneretio
11-24-2008, 01:21 PM
The 10 man version of Sartharion with all of the drakes up is more difficult than the 25 man version of the same, due to the fact that you still need several tanks and they take up a huge percentage of your raid compared to the 25 man version. It takes a significantly stacked raid to stand a chance in the 10 man version with all 3 drakes up.
Have you done the 10 man version, yet Xav?

Recommendation of 2, 3 or even 4 tanks for it in the 10 man?

Xav
11-24-2008, 01:25 PM
Have you done the 10 man version, yet Xav?

Recommendation of 2, 3 or even 4 tanks for it in the 10 man?

No, but we did do it twice in beta. We used 3 tanks in the 10 man in beta, not sure if that's still possible, but i'm guessing it is. However, we aren't going to be trying it for a while because to stack the raid in the way we'd want to, would prevent some other groups from running their 10 man sartharion that week and getting more loot.

I'll see about doing it soon though, because the title "of the Nightfall" is by far the best currently attainable imo!

Ion
11-24-2008, 02:19 PM
Jeezus you DO have to tank all 3 drakes, the adds AND the boss in the 10 man? That's absurd. It DOES make that title the best one in the game though...way better than the 25 man one.

Hmm...how do the portals work? Are they at a percentage of the drake's health? Or is it possible to have all 3 drakes spawning portals at once?

Xhathor
11-25-2008, 02:17 AM
I think the spawn is based on time

brain9h
11-25-2008, 05:43 AM
I can confirm that he does a tail aoe-stun attack. Wiped last night to it :D

Satarial
11-26-2008, 10:56 AM
And was the healers setup? I'm sorry, I can't download high resolution , thats way can't see healer on a video (it's too small:) )

kikamookow
11-27-2008, 12:20 PM
Thankyou for this awesome video guide Ciderhelm, I made all of our 10 man group watch your guide before we started the entered the instance, we one shot the boss with only 2 deaths for the entire raid, 1 on the boss fight and 1 during the drake that has the eggs,

I would like to thankyou on behalf of the Fatal Guild ( horde ) Nagrand for comprehensive and easy follow guide, we look forward to following your guides for Nax also

Cheers

Kika

We ran this encounter with

1 warrior ( tank)
1 Druid ( tank )
2 shaman ( 1 resto 1 dps)
1 pally ( dps)
1 priest ( holy )
1 hunter ( dps )
2 mage ( 1 frost 1 fire )
1 warlock

all players where geared in quest rewards + heroic warth gear 90% of the gear was from wrath

Krysana
11-27-2008, 12:52 PM
I tried Sartherion on 10-man with 3 drakes up, they do attack you but only one at a time. The other 2 are flying in the air until a drake dies (or that's what i'm assuming, we only tried once and we wiped at 80%)

Doing it with 2 healers seems very difficult, i suggest 2 tanks and 3 healers for that.

After a wipe with 3 drakes up and a wipe with 1 drake up, we just decided to kill him with 0 and go clear Naxx to get some gear to try it again next week.

Oddly enough, I can't find any information yet about Sartharion on hard mode about the drakes attacking the raid.

Edit: 2 tanks might not be enough if you need one to tank the drake/fire elementals, one on the dragon and one to enter the portal. 3 tanks and 3 healers seem like pushing it for a 10 man raid.

maexio
12-02-2008, 12:37 PM
Ok, we did Sarth on sunday night, and it was more messy than we would like. Part of that was due to an approximate 2 month break in Raiding, and part was due to learning the instance..

The Video Guide sure helped a lot, but we are finding that there are still way too many deaths during the Sarth fight..

We went in there with :

Pally MT
Warrior OT (myself)
Pally Heals
Priest Heals
Hunter
Deathknight
Druid
Rogue
Mage x 2

I was the Offtank, as our Pally was significantly better geared for the encounter, Now, up to Sarth was pretty much a Cakewalk, but there are two things that I thought are worth mentioning :

1. Egg Drake - Try to focus fire on some of the adds if AOE is not enough, the first portal we had 3-4 'Almost Dead' eggs, and unfortunately that still equals 3-4 Full Health Whelps. Have melee focus fire, AOE'rs try to grp up imho.

2. Adds on Sarth. It could have been trying to get the 'Flamewall' movements down (as this was our 1st try), but the Adds were very difficult to pickup as a Warrior tank (I felt). I'll be the first to admit that I haven't quite gotten used to AOE tanking (at least its still to the point that I feel more stressful doing it) compared to Single target / 2 Target Tanking..

However, it appeared to me that the Adds spawn 'randomnly location wise', and seemed to be out of 'Tclap' range. Without dropping a "Challenging Shout', how have other warriors found the best way to 'Pickup' these adds is..

I'm a little wary of using Shockwave on them, as I don't want them stunned when the Flame Wall comes through, and 'Growing' instantly...

I tried to 'Taunt' one (near the MT), and then Charge to another, but at least on one 'Add Wave', there was at least one other Add that was outside of threat range for both those abilities (and a Taunt was resisted...making me consider a different glyph)

Any suggestions?

Georgesmith
12-02-2008, 08:36 PM
My guild is currently attempting Sartharrion with 3 drakes up. To clear up some of the confusion:

1) The drakes come down one at a time, but are on a timer. And it's impossible to kill one drake before the next drake arrives. The order they come down is Tenebron (spawns eggs in his portal), Shadron (spawns a single add), Vesperon (single add). Shadron's portal should be ignored until Tenebron is dead (this causes Shadron and Sartharrion to take almost 0 damage, but Tenebron is top priority). After Tenebron is dead, the DPS take shadron's portal, kill the elite, and then go to work on Shadron. The adds in Shadron/Vesperon's portal are stunnable/snareable and dont hit for a lot, so they're easily doable without a third tank.

2) This is a major dps race, our dpser's don't even take the first portal, which contains eggs. Instead, our warrior offtank challenging shouts when the eggs hatch, and are subsequently AOE'd down, (This is due to our raid setup, where we have loads of AoE damage. If you have not a lot of aoe, the adds can be ignored until Tenebron is killed). The point is to get Tenebron down before he spawns a second portal.

3) Flame adds: They only have 26k hp, the warrior offtank and myself pick them up when they're in range, or taunt when they're on other people. Typically our fury warrior and mage can kill them relatively quickly with cleave/living bomb. They enrage if they're hit by the flame tsunami, causing them to do considerable more damage. If they start to build up, our DPS would just aoe them down really quickly.

When we finally do down him with 3 drakes up, I'll be posting a video from a MT pally PoV. And later possibly an Offtank PoV. In my opinion, offtanking is considerably harder, but challenging shout clenches that position for warriors/druids (buff pallies).

Raid Setup:

Pally Tank on Sarth
Warrior OT
CoH Priest
Resto Druid
Holy Pally
Shadow Priest
Boomkin
Fury Warrior
Fire Mage
Enhancement Shaman

edit: more info.

emillard8
12-02-2008, 09:11 PM
What was the raid make-up of this video? Understood that you killed the drakes first, just wondering how many tanks/healers/dps? I dont see that added on any of the other videos, that insight would help in preparing for these as well.

Ciderhelm
12-02-2008, 09:52 PM
What was the raid make-up of this video? Understood that you killed the drakes first, just wondering how many tanks/healers/dps? I dont see that added on any of the other videos, that insight would help in preparing for these as well.
As per the introductory video, 3 healers, 2 tanks, rest DPS. Classes don't matter. Buffs can occasionally be helpful, and when they're helpful, I note them in the movie.

Ciderhelm
12-03-2008, 06:55 AM
Updated w/ Achievement change.

maexio
12-03-2008, 07:56 AM
In my opinion, offtanking is considerably harder, but challenging shout clenches that position for warriors/druids (buff pallies).

I guess I'll try the Chall Shout next time, although I <shudder> to think about doing it.. Obviously, before a Chall Shout, OT Position must be considered to minimize Sarth 'pivoting' and unnecessarily inflicting damage on the DPS / Heals..

Darksend
12-03-2008, 02:18 PM
I guess I'll try the Chall Shout next time, although I <shudder> to think about doing it.. Obviously, before a Chall Shout, OT Position must be considered to minimize Sarth 'pivoting' and unnecessarily inflicting damage on the DPS / Heals..

i do not suggest Chal-shout at all (from personal experience)

you need to be around 20-30 yards away from sarth to not hit him

Georgesmith
12-03-2008, 09:14 PM
i do not suggest Chal-shout at all (from personal experience)

you need to be around 20-30 yards away from sarth to not hit him

Assuming you don't have a pally MT, then challenging shout is easy to pull off, as the warrior/druid can immediately taunt sarth right back

maexio
12-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Yeah, we had a pally MT, so Chall Shout was a serious 'i don't think so!'...

I guess if it was super easy, it shouldn't be a raid...

totalfail
12-09-2008, 07:28 AM
How offten does this reset?

Frankttank
12-09-2008, 04:33 PM
1st off, very nice video! thanks for the great info. my main question though was what addons do you use? I love the layout of your HUD. I bet this is posted somewhere else but i suck at searching for stuff on forums so if you have a link to where they are posted i would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks,
Frank

maexio
12-10-2008, 09:53 AM
Frank,

Type Ciderhelm UI in the search button above, and you'll get results linking to

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f120/41095-ciderhelm-ui-information.html

manicus
12-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Just wanted to add that he seems to spawn 10 or so adds when he is at 5-10% health.

Downed him today, with pally mt, me as an ot. We had a little trouble with the adds, but after i got a designated dps'er to help me out, the fight became trivial.

<Rather be fishing> thanks you for a great video guide Cider.

Oxyde
12-12-2008, 04:53 AM
Thanks for the guide :)

The extra adds seems to come at 10% (a sort of enrage).
By the way, how did you manage the end of the fight ? It was our first WOTLK raid yesterday evening and we wiped 2 times below 1% (15k & 9k) ... quite frustrating ... I was playing my bear as offtank and did not survive enough with all those adds on me ...
Did you focus on Sartharion while letting the offtank agroing all the adds or killed / zoned every adds berfore finishing the dragon ?

Otsdarva
12-13-2008, 11:07 PM
Just a few things we have noticed for those watching this video:
Those lava blazes will gain a form of mini enrage if they are hit by the walls of lava (100% increased damage, 200% increased HP if I remember). A hunter can tranq shot it if this happens. Mainly it's only an issue if you're going for extra drakes up.

At ~15% Sartharion will do a form of 'enrage' where he spawns like 30 lava blazes. Nuke Sarth fast. When my guild went in here with the intents of 1 drake alive, we thought you didn't kill the drake. Well when this 'enrage' happened on Sarth, that drake got REALLY pissed and raped our tank.
After an hour and a half+ of solid wipes (yay an actual decently challenging raid again!) on 10 man, we figured it out and did it with Vesperon up (-25% HP on you, +25% HP on bosses).

Basically we did it with 2 tanks, 3 healers, 3 ranged, 2 melee. One of the melee was assigned to just nuking the little blazes while Sartharion was up. Once Sartharion came down, both of us melee ran around keeping the blazes in check the entire time (with the hunter tranq shotting and the ret pally stunning blazes if they enraged) while the ranged DPS KILLED Vesperon. Vesperon died, our debuff went away, the tank who was now free zoned into the portal along with the melee, killed the disciple then we turned around and nuked Sarth.
We're trying it next week with Vesperon + Shadron as well. Spend a few hours dying to that.

Horacio
12-17-2008, 02:35 PM
I'm having a hard time scheduling this with 2 nights of Naxx 10 and 1 night of Naxx 25 at the moment but we whipped his ass last Sunday with no drakes up. We wiped the first pull when the OT challenging shouted for the little flame adds and got Sarth too. I was dodging a flame wall but got him back....not quite fast enough before he flame breath hosed the raid.

My questions are:

1.) If you are going to attempt it with one drake up, which is the reccomended one drake you leave up?

2.) What are the scaling rewards for 1, 2, and 3 drakes up? I know at 3, you get a fancy new mount. But if you just do it with one drake left up, is it an extra ilvl 200 epic? 2nd tier 7 glove token? /shrug.

Leaving one up concerns me due to the OT's gear. We've geared up one but he was subbing in for another dude who had some RL crap to do before coming back to raiding and is not quite 80 yet. An undergeared OT is not an issue for most of what we're doing in Naxx. Hold on to this, round up those. Let the DPS DK who rerolled from a prot pally help him out with that. (we haven't been to Gluth yet and 4H was a little dicey)

I'll probably end up pugging this mostly as the raid wants to work on Naxx during the raid times. But, with all drakes dead, its like a 10 man heroic....pretty simple and quick.

Horacio
12-17-2008, 02:43 PM
Nevermind, I found the answers on Wowwiki.

Ugall
12-17-2008, 10:24 PM
Would you be able to post a video some tips and such like you currently do with strats on how to do it with all or some of the drakes up I would like to do this on 10 man mode. so Im open to suggestions such as grp make up and dps, tank, and healer requirements

Otsdarva
12-18-2008, 05:35 PM
Would you be able to post a video some tips and such like you currently do with strats on how to do it with all or some of the drakes up I would like to do this on 10 man mode. so Im open to suggestions such as grp make up and dps, tank, and healer requirements
My group goes back in tomorrow for Sarth + 2 drakes (10 man). I'll probably be filming it for the luls anyways. Could probably post it up here.

Basically I found the fight (once you add drakes), becomes more about control than ripping the drakes a new asshole (although that makes it easier).

Proffessor
12-19-2008, 07:10 AM
Woot! 9 manned him last night for our guild's first shot at him. Drakes were pie, and Sarth himself was nice and fluid, but it did take us 3 tries. Try number one, excitement got the better of us and just got a bit overwhelmed at the final set of adds. Second try, I (the MT), managed to get a few adds on myself, stressing the healers a tad. Ontop of that, I got pushed into the lava :P. Third attempt was textbook and quite fullfilling having gone in on pretty much a whim and 9 manning it.

DK MT(myself)
2x Feral, one was OT.
Boomkin
2x trees.
Hunter
Arms War.
Melee Sham.

I had to roll vs the 5 druids for the gloves, I lost, lol. Looking forward to dipping into Naxx this weekend!

Xav
12-19-2008, 08:29 AM

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f126/42487-10-man-sartharion-3-drakes-video.html

Doesn't have tips and tricks in the video itself (audio-wise), but I do explain things in the thread there.

Krenian
12-19-2008, 08:35 AM
Xav, suggestions on the 25 version would be appreciated as well. Guild is starting to work on that and I wouldn't mind reading up on any ideas you may have.

Beleran
12-24-2008, 10:36 AM
Tnx a lot for the video did it 2 days ago only one wipe after 2 healers DC. Will try with 1 add up next week if we can. Your video rly helped a lot, keep up the good work!

Síhrtogg
12-28-2008, 04:25 PM
but the Adds were very difficult to pickup as a Warrior tank (I felt).Put Vigilance on the MT and taunt away.

wealth
01-07-2009, 07:28 PM
I think the drakes around him can be dealt different :P the first (on the left) only 1 tank and healer need to enter. rest can stay out and dps. On 2 only aoe or non enter and rest/all nuke boss. on 3 drake all dps and a healer and a tank enter.

Qieth
01-08-2009, 06:47 AM
We are trying out Sartharion with one drake this week, but i sat around to think about future tries, namely 3 drakes.

Now, everybody keeps throwing "50k hp" around, because the damage on the main tank is potentialy devastating. But i am assuming that this is for 25 man? Should a 10 man tank try and reach this amount of health aswell?

Tomorrow we will try with one drake up, and i am thinking about having Tenebron alive for the fight (whelps). Is this a good place to start out, or would you suggest another drake? When trying the two drake fight, which do you keep alive?

Ulyeney Venoli
01-08-2009, 10:50 PM
We tried one drake up (normal difficulty) tonight. Our mistake was leaving Vesperon as the one. His -25% health debuff to all raid members proved to be too large for us to overcome. Tenebron seems to be a good starter drake because the +shadow damage aura he gives would have less of an impact than the +fire damage aura Shadron gives Sartharion.

juggernauth
01-10-2009, 06:31 AM
I made a video of the Heroic : Twilight Zone (Sartharion 25 with 3 drakes up) achievement:

overload_sartharion25hm.avi - FileFront.com

Drake tank PoV.

edit: the streaming version has been removed (don't know why), you'll have to download the movie if you want to watch it ... :/

deathbunny
01-18-2009, 12:18 PM
on the thrird drake with the welp spawns we dont even go in the portal our MT is on drake with all dps and OT is on welps. burn down the drake quick and the welps go away. that seems to be the easiest way for us in 10 and 25 man.

Ray
01-22-2009, 05:44 AM
Has anyone done this since the patch? Has teh general strat changed at all? Who do you put on Sarth? I was the one we were using on Sarth for my DK CDs, but with those being somewhat nerfed, is there a better option or does it just require more coordination? What are other DK tanks doing in order to burn there blood runes? With Sarth going immune, the only thing I can think of is putting a blaze on me, but im not so sure about that either. What kinda DPS is this going to take to do? Thats my real big question as I think I can manage my CDs and our raid should have enough to cover me, but has the DPS requirement changed?

This is in reference to Sarth 3D.

gaiylo
01-26-2009, 03:16 AM
We only 10-manned 3D Sarth yesterday, fought our way to the
"gonna go when the volcano blows" achievement in 25 (lying on the ground dead ^.^ ).
We used a Druid Tank with fire resistance, but I think a DK is also possible
with the cooldown cycle thing, saw a graphic for this somewhere.
I don't know the DK mechanics myself very well sorry.
Don't think a Warrior can do Sartharion itself now in 10man because
it takes too long downing Shadron/Vesperon (would need like 2-4 shield walls).

Oh and the twilight torment debuff still ticks after you killed Vesperon AND
his disciple, don't know if this is intended or not but it makes the fight
after Vesperon a lot harder for the healers especially.

Owtscider
01-27-2009, 12:13 PM
I wanna suggest this. In the video at one point it said you couldn't down the drake with the eggs. My guild was running this raid 10-man. It really depends on what kind of tanks you have. We ran it with a paladin main tank(MT) and me, a druid off tank(OT). Well when we got to that drake with the egg portal. We tried it a few times, then said. ok druid tanks are good for single mob targets, lets switch places. we tried that. With those eggs, our healers burnt so much mana with no dps on the boss, so we were like, ok 3 ranged dps, will AoE, the adds that come with the portal, and it downed the boss quick

thugthedum
02-01-2009, 09:00 PM
is there a guide for sarth+1 10 man? cause we're wipe city on this fight right now.

Gericks
02-17-2009, 08:50 PM
How much does the FR gear really do for you in the 10 man version of the fight? Is just a pally aura good enough? I have some FR gear, but I'm dipping below 540 Def when wearing any of it. I hate to re-gem just for this fight. Thanks in advance!

Rialév
03-09-2009, 11:49 PM
If you are referring to this fight without any drakes up, no fire resistance gear is necessary to kill Sartharion. He does have a pretty vicious breath, but depending on your healers, and your health, he's very easy.

Generally he can be downed shortly after hitting lvl 80.

We are going to attempt +1 tonight. Since the regular version with no drakes is such a trivial encounter now.

CrimsonTemplar
03-10-2009, 08:22 AM
Can someone give me a feel for which drake is best to leave up for Sarth +1? Is it Vesperon and the eggs?

My guild is getting ready to give this a shot and I'd like to have a firm plan of attack rather than flail around aimlessly and deal with a lot of wipes.

Thanks!

IceHaus151
03-10-2009, 08:34 AM
Tenebron is the 1 you want to leave up if you are only doing 1 drake up. His buff is only shadow damage (get out of the void zones) and with good DPS you can down him before the 2nd welp wave comes.

Sennex
03-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Tried Sarth with Tenebron up last night, and it was Fail city.

I think my guilds main problem was placement. Several of us had done Sarth + Tenebron on Heroic, (My guilds MT was the Heroics MT and I was OT for Heroic as well as last night) so some of us knew the placement, but we still couldnt' do it.

It really boggles my mind, I don't think anyone was to blame so much as maybe just seriously unlucky.

tuffmuffin
03-15-2009, 12:45 AM
I went to a half-PuG the other night that was keeping two drakes (Tenebron + Vesperon) alive. We killed Tenebron without much trouble, then half the raid got wiped out from a combination of Twilight Torment and a Fire Wall while Vesperon was around 40%. The remaining 14 pressed on, thinking it would be fine if they could down Vesperon. They managed that and slowly worked on Sartharion, but after (what felt like ages) a while one of the healers says "Did Sartharion just enrage?" over vent.

I didn't think too much of it since as far as I knew he didn't have an enrage timer (DBM doesn't have one, dunno about Bigwigs) but shortly after the entire raid started getting hit by Pyrobuffet. Ultimately we wiped on Sartharion's "10% enrage" when the huge wave of adds come.

I'm not sure what his exact hard enrage timer is, but he certainly does have one. Our attempt lasted around 16.5 minutes and the highest Pyrobuffet debuff stacked to 8, so he was enraged for a while before the damage became unhealable.

/first to die to Sartharion's enrage

anubisre
03-17-2009, 12:09 PM
Lets say i left the drakes up and started the raid encounter. What would happen if you down the drakes but some reason u fail to kill sarathon. Will everything reset when you come back.

EagleEye
03-19-2009, 05:43 PM
A guild mate of mine watched this video and was wanting to see the fight from the ranged perspective... so I made this video.

Warning: I do swear in this near the end...

Also, sorry for the poor quality.

YouTube - Sarth no drakes, 10 man OS

CrimsonTemplar
03-25-2009, 11:28 AM
Tenebron is the 1 you want to leave up if you are only doing 1 drake up. His buff is only shadow damage (get out of the void zones) and with good DPS you can down him before the 2nd welp wave comes.

Thanks...That what we did on 10-man OS last night. We fought on the back half of the island. The 4 DKs in the raid all popped Army of the Dead when the Tenebron came in and the Shaman in our group popped Bloodlust. Once Tenebron was down it was easysauce.

Any recommendations for Sarth +2?

coldfreeze
03-26-2009, 03:31 AM
that gutman guy should get an achievment for that :P

Karelian
04-26-2009, 04:48 PM
This will be my first 10 man raid other then VOA I will go on.
What kind of abilities do the 3 Drakes have?

Chiron
04-27-2009, 09:17 AM
We attempted Sartharion on Heroic with Tenebron up last night. It was going easy pie until we ran into some severe glitches. This might just be a Bladefist thing, but during the fight the Fire Walls would just dissapear as soon as they flare up, leaving the raid to guess where they're coming from. Sometimes we would even be in the safe area and still get nailed. We wiped quite a few times because of this. Half of the raid also suffered a tail swipe from Sartharion even though his tail was nowhere near the raid.

The glitches made it so bad to the point where we just had to go kill Tenebron normally. Even during the simple fight of Sartharion alone, he would keep summoning Fire Walls well before he was supposed to, and they were still glitching. Not to mention the adds that Tenebron spawned we still active.

It was not fun at all, lol.

EagleEye
04-27-2009, 06:21 PM
The flame walls were changed with 3.1, so they kind of "surge" up from the floor over and over. They are no longer solid and they no longer stay up at their full height all the way across.

You really have to pay attention now.

Chiron
04-27-2009, 07:42 PM
They way it happens though and it's erratic movement tells me that it's a serious glitch and not so much intentional on Blizzard's part.

Gameking
04-29-2009, 01:03 PM
I have done this on Normal and heroic and in both encounters the Fire wall IS GLITCHED. It does not disappear and reappear, if you are in the path of the wall and it disappears you WILL still take wall damage. Another way to tell is it shifts in and out of view rapidly like bam bam bam in out in out. This is another tell that the wave graphic is having issues during it's rendering.

onyxtank
04-30-2009, 05:32 AM
I noticed the glitched wall also. But the big thing I noticed is at 50% health he turned away from tank for no reason! I thought somone accidently taunted him away or drew aggro, so my instinct was to taunt back. Then it got all crazy. But looking back on it, it made it fun.

I have a video of it....
YouTube - Sartharion Misbehaving

He turns at 50% health right when he gets hit by a chain lightning, but you can see on Omen, our shaman wasn't even top 3 on the threat meter.

OrlynSWK
05-05-2009, 07:24 AM
Thanks for posting this vid had a bit of a time finding the right spot for myself and my DPS. Gotta admit though i get chawed on for charging him so i head to the right on my mount and in mid leap hit my heroic throw. Land in the perfect spot everytime. Thnx Cinder.

Brigida
05-21-2009, 05:23 AM
Hi there!

I was just wondering, where is the best place to tank Sarth? I tanked him once toward the edge and found I kept getting hit by the flame walls. I've had several different opinions as to where to position him but some more would be nice.

Mr.Winkle
05-21-2009, 05:50 AM
Best place to tank Sarth is loweer left hand corner of the island, this allows you to easily move to avoid fire walls.

Kioku
10-20-2009, 10:19 AM
Does anyone have a vid of a OS+1 kill? I've done it several times, but my OT hasn't, and I wanted to show him the fight ahead of time.... anyone?