PDA

View Full Version : Heroic Stratholme Drake Run

Ciderhelm
11-24-2008, 04:38 AM
This movie is available for direct download for Donors. Click here to learn more! (http://www.tankspot.com/premium.php)

TankSpot5Stratholme.wmv - FileFront.com@@AMEPARAM@@http://static.filefront.com/ffv6/player/vp_embed.swf?v=854241@@AMEPARAM@@static.filefront. com/ffv6/player/vp_embed.swf?v=854241

Please note: You do not need to kill Mal'ganis to continue to the optional boss.

Tsosietank
11-24-2008, 08:50 AM
Quick Question. On Normal Warrior are able to spell reflect the Carrion Swarm. Is that still possible on Heroic, or is it useless to use reflect during that encounter

Gravy
11-24-2008, 08:51 AM
You do not need to kill Mal'ganis to engage the optional boss. You can run to and engage him as soon as you clear the final gauntlet, before you talk to Arthas the final time of course.

Tsosietank
11-24-2008, 08:54 AM
Quick Question. On Normal Warrior are able to spell reflect the Carrion Swarm. Is that still possible on Heroic, or is it useless to use reflect during that encounter

Excuse me . . this is on Mal' Ganis

kicks81
11-24-2008, 09:08 AM
any alternate format for players with filefront problems?

Lore
11-24-2008, 09:17 AM
Wow jerk, stealing my ideas.

Tengaaris
11-24-2008, 09:47 AM

Spell Reflection does work on heroic, just like normal. Tested it last night.

Tsosietank
11-24-2008, 10:17 AM
Yeah, i am excited to get into heroics, i have the gear. However, on my server (as large as it is) most fo the geared healers are in the top guilds and dont Pug, so i am still waiting on my guilds healers to get there

Ion
11-24-2008, 11:02 AM
You do not need to kill Mal'ganis to engage the optional boss. You can run to and engage him as soon as you clear the final gauntlet, before you talk to Arthas the final time of course.

This. I was rather surprised when you headed over to kill Mal'ganis...you definitely don't need to kill him before you engage the optional guy.

I mean, they both drop in about a minute, so it's not really a big deal, but if a group is tight on time you can go right to the guy who drops the drake to be sure.

Ciderhelm
11-24-2008, 11:07 AM
This. I was rather surprised when you headed over to kill Mal'ganis...you definitely don't need to kill him before you engage the optional guy.

I mean, they both drop in about a minute, so it's not really a big deal, but if a group is tight on time you can go right to the guy who drops the drake to be sure.
That was our first clear. We were unaware that you could run directly to the boss before Mal'ganis, but as said in the movie, we were very comfortable w/ the timer anyway.

Lore
11-24-2008, 01:01 PM
For anyone interested I'll be editing together a similar guide from a Paladin perspective soon (hopefully later today).

I've already got the full fraps, I just haven't gotten around to the editing yet.

Edgar
11-24-2008, 01:04 PM
Filefront is awfully slow for Europeans. Or at least Germans.

Ion
11-24-2008, 01:05 PM
That was our first clear. We were unaware that you could run directly to the boss before Mal'ganis, but as said in the movie, we were very comfortable w/ the timer anyway.

We did the same thing the first time...except we had no idea that he didn't just spawn in on top of us (gg not reading up on it), so we stood there for 5 minutes wondering where he was.

Someone checked after and we all wept for our lost drake.

Fenicks
11-24-2008, 01:07 PM
It's a pretty reasonable timer. We usually get their with around 2-4 minutes left on it, and our group doesn't even have the best dps.

Sippin
11-25-2008, 01:04 PM
Cider great guide, I wrote a full one as well before searching (D'oh) I'll post it here after this too I guess, since i went through the trouble of writing it up.. sigh.

But as stated. YOU DO NOT NEED TO KILL MAL'GANIS FOR THE DRAKE. You can directly engage the chrono for the drake right after the gauntlet. ;)

Shoulda searched sooner, Anyway I guess I'll post the bit of it here for text version =/

So we tried it out 2 days ago, friend had a beta key so he's done it a few times. I don't know if anyone have posted about this or done it really yet but I haven't seen any so I figured I'd make one for you guys.

Group makeup was prot warrior, holy paladin, mutilate rogue, BM hunter, ret paladin.
Couple of Naxx 25 loots, sath, 10 man etc.. Heroic gear, Normal gear, T6 .. k.

Well basically the run is all about moving fast, obviously. Start the event by initiating arthas' long talk with urthar and jaina. Arthas will then enter town and "dispose" of the sick townspeople.
>>>OMG ZOMBIEZ.
Kill them. Soon there will be a red emote and more importantly, an arrow on your mini-map. The arrow leads to a group of elites which need to be killed asap to engage the next wave. As you run there simply take any adds with you, use any aoe's along the way -- tclap consecrate etc. The waves are not very hard, and the first few are a joke but it does get progressively harder... i guess. Similar to hyjal there will be ghouls, necromancers, good ole Aboms (Bile golems), SPIDERZ (Crypt fiends // Tomb Stalkers) and I believe there are some acolytes. Generally the kill order is not a big deal, I prefer -->aboms, crypt fiends, tomb stalkers , necros, etc.
Not sure if I read the tooltip correctly, but I believe the aboms have some sort of healing debuff they put on the tank so logically, get rid of them if your dps can support it.

So after each wave, a new arrow will appear on the minimap. Follow it. Move fast, same show. We had a hunter so after clearing the zombies on a certain path we were able to throw Aspect of the Pack up, but make sure its off before engaging. Similarly, if you have a LW bring some drums of speed for the long runs. When you are undergeared every second does count at first. We generally moved towards the middle after each wave in order to be in a better position for the next wave.

After Wave 5: First boss. Meathook. He does hit kinda hard, but its just a basic tank and spank. I had to blow a last stand and trinket after a few big hits.

After each boss fight there is a ton of time to mana up,and again move a little toward the middle as well to prepare for the next wave.

After Wave 10: Second boss. Salramm the Fleshcrafter. He is a caster. He spawns some ghouls so pick them up, but overall they are pretty negligible. I'm forgetting this off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure he cannot be interrupted.

For my warrior kin, as stated in this post. SPELL REFLECT. Throughout the waves necromancers shadow bolts can and should be reflected for upwards of 6k damage which is very decent. Salramm's shadowbolts can be reflected as well.

AFTER THE WAVES: Follow arthas to townhall. AS SOON AS YOU ARRIVE-- TALK TO HIM. Enter the building, there will be 3 people who transform into those chrono-dragonthings from durneholde//BM(sorry i suck at lore) The girl is a caster. Kill them and go up the stairs to the top. 4 adds will come out of a portal. Don't blow a tclap or anything as soon as they spawn because it takes a few seconds before you can actually hit them. Keep moving, this is all scripted now until the boss so you are stuck waiting for spawns because Arthas is slow..

Run through the hallway and some will spawn both in front and behind you so make sure to pick them all up with any aoe abilities.

Few more mobs and boss time.

For Chrono-Lord Epoch its mostly tank and spank again, bosses in this instance are very simple. He does do some kind of wounding strike I believe its called, which the tooltip read a healing debuff. Anyway, just burn through him heal up and you'll be fine.

Talk to arthas again, and head through the bookshelf. From this point on its a sprint to the end. As the tank it is your job to know how much you can pull, make sure not to get too many. Going a little slower is much better then a wipe. Our ret pally got carried away at one point and ended up dying so be careful. Once you see the small corridor from which you entered you are almost there. Take a left and engage the chrono-guy.

Burn him down and pickup your drake. We had 6 minutes left on our timer after a flawless run. With more gear this place will be cake. Its also probably one of the fastest instance runs as well for badge farming purposes.

After that you can kill Mal'ganis who is the last boss.

Kyoki
11-25-2008, 03:39 PM
im alittle confused is the drake a 100% drop off the extra boss?

Ciderhelm
11-25-2008, 03:40 PM
im alittle confused is the drake a 100% drop off the extra boss?

Yep!

Bragoon
11-25-2008, 10:39 PM
What is the Charge macro you use?

Seithieron
11-25-2008, 11:15 PM
Got my Bronze Drake on our first Timed try today, wish I would have seen the disclaimer about not having to kill Mal'ganis! Regardless, we still got him down with no more than a few seconds to spare. 3 cheers for ProjectMarmot!!

Narshe
11-26-2008, 12:39 AM
If the timer runs out while you are fighting it, the boss will start walking towards the portal. You still have some seconds to burn him.
Yesterday the stupid scaped at around 30k HP, but well, it was an awful run :(

Finnit
11-26-2008, 07:29 PM
If the timer runs out while you are fighting it, the boss will start walking towards the portal. You still have some seconds to burn him.
Yesterday the stupid scaped at around 30k HP, but well, it was an awful run :(

This just happened to us! We had him under 10% when the timer expired.

In the future, we're going to pull him a little further from the portal if time is close. We'll get him tomorrow though :-P

Manginae
11-30-2008, 01:03 AM
Hey cider what add on do u use to see what he is casting or is there a way to move the wow interface one further down? as i would like to have that for the Nax boss also :-)

Vapes
12-01-2008, 02:30 PM
As far as infinite dragon flight vs. Bronze etc, I think you pretty much have the right of it. They went to go back in time and right the wrongs, but that of course would screw up history and change the world, and be morally wrong or something, so we have to go in and preserve our history.

We are Time Cops.

Synistral
12-03-2008, 01:01 AM
The initial hit of carrion swarm cant be relfected, but the dot can be. Reduces a little damage taken on the tank

Vern
12-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the guide. ;)

http://i35.tinypic.com/2z3nee0.jpg

Jenkah
12-04-2008, 11:13 AM
I believe people are making Meathook seem a bit more difficult than he actually is.

The maneuver that he does that really hurts the group the most is the constricting chains. These however can be line of sighted.

This isn't optimal when you have heavy ranged, but it's ideal for healers. Since without the 4 second stun from the chains you shouldn't have any issues keeping people up. If you stack on him you take the disease cloud, which also is not optimal.

We usually pull him to any corner, whether it be the entrance to a building, a corner of the wall, or a cart that blocks line of sight.

The tank moves parallel to the wall creating the corner and backs up past the corner keeping Meathook on the other side. The healer stands around the corner.

The healer is in line of sight of the tank and can heal without worrying about chains. Typically AoE healing will keep up the other party members taking disease, or a ranged taking chains.

From my experience as a resto shaman, not being hit by chains makes the fight rather trivial. Hope that helps anyone that feels they may be having trouble on this fight. It also removes the dependency on HoTs.

Black Cat
12-04-2008, 08:21 PM
The third boss, whose abilities you referred to not knowing in the video, does the following:

Curse of Exhaustion - Doubles the cost of spells and abilities for 8 seconds (can be dispelled)
Wounding Strike - Hits for weapon damage (i.e. normal melee), 25% healing reduction, Bleed DoT. 4 second duration, tank only.
Time Warp - Slows down time for 6 seconds, increases cast times, reduces attack and movement speed by 70%. He also hits 3 party members in quick succession.
Time Stop - 2-3 second party wide stun.

Also, I was wondering how hard the run would be with no raid gear? This looks like something we can work on while waiting for the whole of our raid team to make it to 80.

skeekse
12-08-2008, 04:35 PM
i was just wondering where you got your unit frame. ive been looking all over for a frame like that.

Kazeyonoma
12-08-2008, 11:32 PM
it's good to note that if you don't run with more than 1 range dps meathook is gonna cause problems. he will randomly "chain" a ranged enemy which disables them and deals about 8k-10k damage over a short duration. If it chains your healer, the tank will probably take a lot of damage and die.

Another note is that the zombies cause some sort of mana burn because whenever they hit my healer repeatedly (stupid dps didn't keep them off of him) he ran oom retardedly fast.

So how do you take down meathook with only 1 range or no range (ala only your healer?)

Tank him so that you are in LOS with your healer but your healer is out of LOS of meathook. this will protect your healer and effectively yourself. We didn't figure this out until numerous wipes so.... no drake for me =(

edit: doh noticed Jenkah already mentioned this.

Elyvern
12-08-2008, 11:39 PM
The timer thing's been changed I think, or at least the ticking clock at the top of the screen. We engaged the infinite corruptor with 5 mins to spare, and upon contact, the screen timer disappear. Since we downed him 1 minute later, we didn't have a chance to test if he would walk into the portal after the timer count downs to 0. Can anyone verify this?

What irks me is the amount of RP elements in the event that wastes so much time. Most of the time, the last gauntlet, ie. burning strat, requires non-stop moving and clearing to compensate for all the time wasted on RPing and waiting for packs of mobs to spawn. Clearing that gauntlet fast enough is a big key towards success.

Erja
12-09-2008, 01:28 AM
Our group just burned through this place earlier tonight. All three of our dps (fury war, unholy dk, ret paladin) were pushing 2500+ dps. We ended up with about 4 minutes left on the timer at the end. I can only imagine how easy this will be when people really start gearing up with Naxx 25 gear.

Currently I'm sitting on top of Mal'ganis' chest with an open GM ticket. The chest bugged out on our whole group and nobody could open it. Anybody else had a similar issue? I'm wondering if it's somehow related to the timed run since all my other regular and heroic runs of Strat have worked fine.

Edgar
12-09-2008, 03:38 AM
Holy ... that thing is tiny, Vern.

Kazeyonoma
12-09-2008, 09:57 AM
it's only tiny because he's in storm peaks near the Female Viking town.

ttocs
12-09-2008, 09:59 AM
I'll be putting one of these together for a DK PoV as well. If massive failure didn't occur I'd have the full fraps already.

Sangi
12-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Currently I'm sitting on top of Mal'ganis' chest with an open GM ticket. The chest bugged out on our whole group and nobody could open it. Anybody else had a similar issue?

Yeah our drake run last night had a similar issue. Two of the people could open the chest. Three could not. We got the gear but lost our badges. I have a ticket open also. I am not expecting the badges. But figured it would be good to report the bug.

Black Cat
12-09-2008, 03:15 PM
The spots where you need to talk to Arthas to trigger events are as follows:

1. Just inside Stratholme to start the waves event and turn everyone into zombies.

2. Just inside the town hall to initiate the Infinite Dragonflight event.

3. After defeating the Infinite Dragonflight boss to open up the passage behind the bookcase

4. At the end of the passageway out of the bookcase to start the final 'gauntlet'.

5. At the end of the gauntlet in Market Square to intiate the Mal'ganis encounter.

Obviously, if you're doing a drake run, you don't want to talk to him the 5th time, instead just run past and take out the Infinite Corruptor.

As to the lore (because I'm bored); during Dragonflight you get a quest called Mystery of the Infinite, where Chromie asks you to go to the bronze dragonshrine and divine the identity of the leader of the Infinite Dragonflight. At the end of this quest, none other than Nozdormu, the missing leader of the bronze dragonflight. According to Wowwiki, he has been MIA since the Infinite Dragonflight appeared. As such, it seems reasonable to suspect that Nozdormu is the leader of the Infinite Dragonflight.

Mind you, I don't know a huge amount about lore, so I could be wrong.

Kalagar
12-16-2008, 01:18 PM
Did this yesterday and the day before no problems, still 3-5 minutes left on timer when we get done with the corruptor.

Group setup was:
Prot Paladin (Myself)
Resto Druid
Elemental Shaman
BM Hunter
Frost Mage/Destro Lock

Only part we thought could be bad was Chrono-Lord, and the shaman just BL's our way thru it, downing him in ~40 seconds. Meathook is a joke with a resto druid, and if he got chained and I was getting low I'd just Divine Protection, Trinket (if it's up) and the shaman would help heal, though usually I've got full HoT's all the time.

In the area (gauntlet) right after Chrono-Lord, simply know what your limits are, and don't pull too much. Many of the pulls you can probably pull 2 or so of the groups, but it may become stressful on your healer if you pull lets say one of the Abombs, the spider group and a few ghouls...may start to get stressful.

Either way, this run is made insanely easy with a paladin tank simply due to the snap threat on undead mobs so DPS can start before I even begin to pull. :)

Best of luck guys, hope you all get your drakes!

~Kalagar, Sen'jin US

Zirax
12-17-2008, 08:58 AM
Picked up the drake for myself last night. Group make up was Prot War (me), Blood DK, Combat Rogue, Hunter and Disc priest. We had one death at Meathook and another on an elite pack but other than that ran fine with 3 minutes left to kill the boss.

Oh and the mount is small compared to other drakes.

Horacio
12-17-2008, 09:37 AM
Yeah, there is a scaling issue with it...looks kinda funny, especially when transformed as a viking chick. Ironically on the same run I got mine, I dinged exalted with Wyrmrest so I got bronze and red the same night and the red drake is bigger.

I've made the timer twice. A third try didn't pan out because of low DPS with a weaker group but we still cleared the zone.

Its pretty straight forward. Keep moving, use spell reflect alot (on Malganis I tend to use it on his Mind Blast) On Salram(sp?) you can beat his ass fast when you throw 10K shadowbolts back on him. Don't be afraid to burn CDs when you have to. Tell your healer to catch their breath and throw up your self heal and a trinket or SW. Blow everything on the 3rd boss and you can DPS him down before he whirlwinds.

I did it with 3 melee DPSers(DK, TG warrior, rogue-resto shammy's chain heal was huge here) on our first attempt and smoked it. It was difficult to hold aggro on EVERYTHING but a worthy challenge.

Meeks
12-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Did not read whole thread so this may have been mentioned already but the one thing that made the difference between getting drake or not on my first successful attempt was using the mini map properly. About 5 seconds before they announce where the mobs are the dot will show up...if you start running immediately you can be half way there before the zone yell comes through. Shaves about a minutes off your run over the course of the instance and for your first try that 1 minute is huge.

Tahaz
12-21-2008, 03:26 AM
Tanks, Meathook seems to be the healer stumbling block in here. The Chains ability he has locked me down (shammy), leading to wipes. He must be los'd from the healer to avoid this. Not a worry if you got a HOT stacker.

Aggroir
12-21-2008, 07:52 AM
Hope Spell Reflection works on Heroic: Strath.
I think it should work. Or Heroic would be really hard because Malganis do Carrion Swarm many times...atleast in normal mode.

When i used it in normal mode with improved Spell Reflection my group didnt even get any damage. Was a really easy fight.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Aggroir <Azeroth Alliance> Kul Tiras EU

Manginae
12-23-2008, 04:25 AM
Got my drake and 12 of my guildies got it too :-)

LightforgedUS
01-02-2009, 04:52 PM
You are right about the infinites Cider, their goals are...misguided...rather than evil. They realize they have the power to alter time, and they thought "hey! Let's change this one event so all this bad crap won't happen!" This, like you've seen in ANY movie that involves time travel, IS BAD!! En metaphor, the infinite dragonflight is you thinking that one event will change your whole life for the better, where that isn't always the outcome.

This lore tidbit brought to you by Lightforged on Haomarush-US!

Kazeyonoma
01-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Anyone think back to say... Butterfly Effect or any of the other movies that revolve around changing time. Heck even Back to the Future turned out bad in BotF 2 when the changes McFly did to his dad caused him to break his back. See? See???? ;x

and damnit, 3 tries so far, best attempt was reaching the corruptor with 1min knowing we wouldn't make it. I blame the 900 dps rogue =(

LightforgedUS
01-02-2009, 05:00 PM
One time i REACHED the corrupter with 1 min left on the timer, we killed him in 58 seconds according to DBM. Talk about close...

I actually HAVE it, the sad part is I can't use it >.< I blame my bad money management skill and 5k g skills.....

Tokenelf
01-04-2009, 10:18 AM
When the Titans gave the Dragon aspects their respective duties, Nozdormu was given the power to move around in time. Being the smart dragon he was, he went to the most important time to see what happened. He went forward and saw his own death. He also saw all the events leading to it.

So there are two very possible outcomes to someone with the ability to manipulate time that has an entire race willing to die for him. He is either trying to stop it, or make it happen.

Both these assume one thing, you (the player) are going to be one of the 10/25 people killing him.

Theory 1: He doesn't really like the idea of dying. He gets some of his dragons to try and alter the timeline and sends them off. They are altered by all this and are the infinite dragon flight. The goal is to make the events leading up to the major reasons for your being powerful enough to kill Nozdormu just not happen. No Orc invasion means no Horde, and the life of a hero is out for both sides. Hyjal may have been to stop Night Elves or to take out Thrall or Jaina. Arthas dying before becoming the Lich King denies you the opportunities to fight in Northrend and also makes Forsaken not exist.

Theory 2: He knows you will keep beating them. He wants it. He needs to be the bad guy for you to be powerful enough and have the incentive to kill him.

Part of all this is the future and past quest stuff you do for Chromie in Dragonblight. You see the person behind the Infinite Dragonflight's attacks and it is Nozdormu. Chromie figures it is just him trying to help because she can't comprehend him being behind it.

At least this is what I tell myself so I can make sense of why I keep meddling in time. I mean, what happens if I step on the wrong ant?

Radyor
01-05-2009, 03:02 PM
OMG the glitch....is there a fix or reset for it?

Kazeyonoma
01-05-2009, 03:15 PM
i finally got a successful run last night... didn't win the drake =( boo.

Muffin Man
01-05-2009, 07:43 PM
Closest attempt so far: got the guy down to 90k before he hopped in the portal. This was with a group that was mostly busting their ass (healer contributed a mighty 200 dps in between healing). Then we're sitting there dejected and the rogue (who beat my prot dps by about 60 I should add) says "Well this wasn't a timed run anyways." Too bad it was...

Another time we cleared the gauntlet just as the timer ran out. Doesn't sound that close does it? Until you realize we 4 manned starting with Epoch because our top dps d/c-ed =(.

Kedearian
01-05-2009, 08:09 PM
as cider said. get 3 dps 1500+ a good healer, and dont stop moving. I've gotten the drake boss down about 5 out of 6 times now, and the one i missed was because when i said "over 1500 dps" they translated at "under 1000 dps" so we got the boss to 20% and he ran off. Said dps is now on my ignore list and their GM got a "you need to teach your guildies to read" note.

Ked

Apx
01-05-2009, 11:01 PM
Tanks, Meathook seems to be the healer stumbling block in here. The Chains ability he has locked me down (shammy), leading to wipes. He must be los'd from the healer to avoid this. Not a worry if you got a HOT stacker.
I've done this as a shaman healer a few times, and have yet to fail. The hooks aren't really that bad if you top off the tank before you get hooked.
The whole run seems to be pretty easy, with a pally tank anyway... Even with 1500-ish dps.
A lot of AoE helps for the clearing part, but for the most part check out the minimap and be able to run ASAP, and hope for good spawns.

Also, watch out for arthas bugging, it has happened to people I know.

CrimsonTemplar
01-07-2009, 10:30 AM
First, thanks for the movie. It pointed out a few things my group can be doing to get through the gauntlet faster - like pulling the melee mobs back towards the middle of the instance, shadow resist aura during second boss fight, and more chain pulling once you leave the Inn.

One problem my group has been having is that after finishing off a wave the instance seems to stall for a little bit before the next wave/flag appears. What we've started doing is grabbing all the non-elite zombies and finishing them off asap, which seems to help.

What we've done with loots is stick with Need/Greed, unless there's an enchanter in the group; then we pass, he Greeds to disenchant, and anyone who might needed it Needs

The problem with Arthas, or Chatty Cathy as I refer to him, is that you really have to keep him moving or the event will take too long. Ciderhelm touched on this in the movie, but it bears restating. He walks slow and talks way too much. It is very easy to eat, rebuff, etc while he chats before the boss fight in the inn (3rd boss). Immediately following that fight you should talk to him - looting can eaily be handled while he talks.

As a Paladin healer, this run can be tough from a mana point of view. Divine Plea, Arcane Torrent, Divine Illumination when it's up and 16MP5 buff food help keep my mana up. My usual group has mne running with a Boomkin so I can get an Enervate from time to time and the bonus crit helps with Illumination procs.

I have so far only completed this run once with a previous group (friends, not Guildies) and lost out on the Drake that time. I'm working with guildies now that we have enough 80's for a regular group. Our tank, a Warrior, was really under-geared starting off, but has been getting progressivley better geared by running heroics and buying emblem gear. Current party composition is Warrior (Tank), Healadin, Hunter, Boomkin and rotating in a Mage/Rogue/second Hunter depending on who is on at the time.

I know it was mentioned in the comments directly after the movie, but it bears repeating. You can leave Arthas waiting once you reach Market Row before the Mal'Ganis fight in order to take care of the Infinite Corrupter. He'll wait there until you talk to him and it is far better to get the optional boss knocked out than to go into the Mal'Ganis fight and run out of time.

From a lore perspective, the Infinite Dragonflight seems to be trying to to the right thing, but a lot of the things they were trying to stop could easily have been worse for Azeroth in the long run. For example:

Black Morass - yes, it would have averted the invasion of the Horde, but it would have left Azeroth fragmented and vulnerable to the Burning Legion. The Horde were their tool, not their sole means of attack. The Horde inadvertantly made Azeroth stronger by unifying the Humans and their allies against a common foe.

Old Hillsbrad Foothills - Without Thrall to bring the Horde in it's present form together they would have either continued to languish in prioson camps or would have become footsoldiers of the legion at Mt. Hyjal.

Culling of Stratholme - If Arthas didn't start down the path towards becoming the Lich King he wouldn't have been responsible for Illidan causing a schism within the Legion and for wresting the Scourge away from the Legion's control. This would have made the victory over the Legion at Mt. Hyjal much harder if not impossible.

Taelas
01-10-2009, 05:20 AM
Having just tanked a drake run yesterday (our first successful run, and only our second try), all I can say is that it's FUN.

Our DPS was just a little under the minimum, I think. We got him during the last minute of our timer (though he hadn't started walking back yet).

CrimsonTemplar
01-13-2009, 08:56 AM
I've now managed to do this successfully 3 times and got my drake on the third success. We finished off the optional boss with 1-3 minutes left on these runs.

Party composition for the last success:

Protection Warrior
Beastmaster Hunter with Devilsaur
Fire Mage
Holy Paladin
Combat Rogue

The most important thing was to keep Arthas going and to keep moving during the second gauntlet phase. We'd often drag some of the elites from the previous group to the next group rather than wait to finish off each group before moving on. The tank needs to be able to take a fair amount of abuse and the healer needs to keep him topped off while moving.

Ilaryon
01-13-2009, 03:38 PM
We have a group that's farming the drakes right now. We do pretty well and usually finish with about 5 minutes on the timer each time.

Our group makeup is

1 Prot Warrior
1 Unholy DK
1 Enhancement Shaman
1 Fury Warrior
1 Resto Druid (Greatest healer in the world IMO ;) )

Having a druid healer means no issues with Meathook and the rest of it's a cakewalk since everyone else is in mail/plate, so even if anyone pulls aggro our healer can keep them up until I get the mob back...or they burn the mob down. Unholy DKs can do some ungodly DPS right now.

Bludmane
01-15-2009, 11:14 AM
I love the video and all the input from you all. I also love this site thank you all!

I have a few questions though, you mention the min. req for dps and only say your tank need to be "well geared" ?

I am putting together a group to do this my play time is limited so I am trying to make our attempts counts (hoping for success!)

I will be doing this with my Paladin "Aidranna" on Azshara (yeah I like the horde) Can any of you look at me on the armory and let me know if I am geared well enough? Or maybe post some min tank stats?

thank you so much!

P.S. Ciderhelm your the bomb!! thank you for another awsome video!

Bludmane/Aidranna "zug zug"

Taelas
01-15-2009, 08:15 PM
When I tanked it, I had 20k health and about the same armor, 535ish Defense, with no particular avoidance items. Group makeup was two Blood DKs, Restoration druid and Balance druid. We had the additional benefit of being in the same room. :)

I'd say your gear should be OK.

silentk
01-16-2009, 02:04 AM
Just wanted to add a few more tips for the drake runs that may have been missed (I read the previous comments but I may have missed something.)

I have completed the drake run coming up on 15 or so times now (still no drake for me) with a couple of different groups, and I have had several groups end pretty quick. The first few times I completed it with pug groups, first time a with a Paladin tank, and heavy aoe dps. This run had a higher dps mage in the group so I did not have chain issues on Meathook (I am the resto shaman).

If you have a healer lacking HoT's, stack high threat range dps behind the healer, and have them blow all their cooldowns to chew through Meathook. With 1-2 ranged dps behind me there is a lesser chance I will get hit by the chains. (Meathook's Chain spell is based on range and threat, and places a DoT on you while you are silenced.)

For group composition, aoe tanks seem to work better for me. I did complete a drake run once with a pug group led by a prot warrior, that group also had two ret paladins so I am unsure how much that would have changed things.

My group of friends that I run with is: Prot Pally, Balance Druid, Frost/Arcane Mage (he changes his spec too often) and pug ranged dps - usually hunter or mage. Each dps puts out 2.2k or more so it is a pretty easy run for us.

Another planning note is after the 3rd boss (the one in the town hall) we talk to Arthas to open the door in the bookcase and immediately leave him behind. If you run the final gauntlet without Arthas you remove some of the extra annoyance of him picking up more targets than your tank has originally intended. We blaze down the alley, kill the bonus boss, and rebuff if needed. Yes you do have to reclear the alley twice more to bring Arthas up for the final boss but we find its a much more reliable way of making sure we hit our timer.

I have also completed the run with a guild based group, Unholy DK tank, Frost Mage, Ret Paladin, and a pickup Unholy Dk, dps was about 1700 each (Mage was 2.2k) we completed the run with a couple minutes to spare despite having one player die in a big pull in the alley gauntlet.

Lots of fun, by far my favorite instance in the expansion.

Kazukio
01-22-2009, 12:18 PM
Something I would like to point out is that You do not need Arthas to defeat the final Boss to obtain the Drake, just before having him engage Malganis go to where the Infinite Corrupter is and slay him. easy for those groups who fall just short of the Timer.

Biggus
01-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Pally and DK tanks are great to bring to a time CoS run their conc/d&d in the second gauntlet ensures that no adds will go straight for healer or other squishies

P.S. If you can make it past the first gauntlet in 15 min. you are making reasonable time.

Prod
01-25-2009, 08:26 PM
From a lore perspective, the Infinite Dragonflight seems to be trying to to the right thing, but a lot of the things they were trying to stop could easily have been worse for Azeroth in the long run. For example:

Black Morass - yes, it would have averted the invasion of the Horde, but it would have left Azeroth fragmented and vulnerable to the Burning Legion. The Horde were their tool, not their sole means of attack. The Horde inadvertantly made Azeroth stronger by unifying the Humans and their allies against a common foe.

Old Hillsbrad Foothills - Without Thrall to bring the Horde in it's present form together they would have either continued to languish in prioson camps or would have become footsoldiers of the legion at Mt. Hyjal.

Culling of Stratholme - If Arthas didn't start down the path towards becoming the Lich King he wouldn't have been responsible for Illidan causing a schism within the Legion and for wresting the Scourge away from the Legion's control. This would have made the victory over the Legion at Mt. Hyjal much harder if not impossible.

This ! The infinite IS evil. In BC they tried everything for the Burning Legion to win the Battle @ Mt. Hyjal. Without the Horde/Thrall Jaina, the NEs would never have been able to defeat the legion.

thx to CrimsonTemplar 4 the Stuff about CoT4, I just could not figure out what their evil Plan behind stoping Arthas from becoming the Lich King was.

The Infinites: i just donīt want to beleave that i should kill another leader of a dragonflight... :( ... "he went insane, now go kill him..." so i donīt want to believe that Nozdormu is the leader of the infinite... i just hope that the infinites are just another one of neltharions creations (like the nether and the chromatic) ^^

AriesFrost
02-09-2009, 09:22 PM
About how much unbuffed health should you be runnin this as. I assume between 26-27k. As a FROST DK. I have 29.4k hp unbuffed. But I was just wondering what health you should be running this instance at. It could've been the healer or maybe just me. We couldn't get this. Just Wondering. Thanks.:cool:

Bertie
03-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Couple of things i wanted to point out about this instance.

If your tanking, during the gauntlet once you feel that you have enough of an aggro lead and the elites are going to die before they pull off you, head to the next one. I do it as soon as my charge is up. 15 seconds is plenty of time for me to output large amounts of threat and the elites should be atleast down to a 15% of their health by them.

Pace yourself during the second part of the gauntlet, unless your fairly well geared its dangerous to pull too many. This is one place that you might not want to charge ahead since the mobs are a little more numerous here and since the acolytes are about the same size as the zombies you might miss them. Make sure to watch for them and use your thunderclaps.

Having a shaman in the group for mal'ganis is awesome. Tremor totem will basically break sleep effects. Bloodlust/heroism during meathook and than save it till the drake boss. I know its tempting to use it on the 3rd boss if you have more than enough time left on the timer, but trust me saving bloodlust is a good idea incase someone dies during the gauntlet.

Zirax
03-09-2009, 06:57 AM
About how much unbuffed health should you be runnin this as. I assume between 26-27k. As a FROST DK. I have 29.4k hp unbuffed. But I was just wondering what health you should be running this instance at. It could've been the healer or maybe just me. We couldn't get this. Just Wondering. Thanks.:cool:

I would say you should be fine assuming you are defense capped ;) which leads me to this little story.

My mains a warrior tank but I have an alt healer also. I see a group looking for a healer for a timed CoS run yesterday and as it was the daily I thought I might as well give it a shot.

We have a DK tanking (high 20's HP), a DK, Moonkin and Mage as our DPS and myself a holy priest The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Turalyon&n=Aphextwin)

We set off and right away I notice that the tank is taking a fair bit of damage and I am thinking to myself this might get ugly from Meathook on. Anyway we are moving along at an ok pace but I am having to go all out on heals just to keep the tank alive and I am thinking that there is something wrong here so I ask the tank if he is defence capped for heroics, his answer is no but working on it. I was floored, how a tank can run any heroic let alone a timed drake run and not be at the cap blows my mind and if I had know earlier I would not have gone with them.

However, seeing as I was there and we had 2 bosses down by this time I figured I would treat this as my own little achievement so we pressed on. The mage died to a group of adds summoned on the 2nd boss and the tank died to a wave of elites just before the 3 rd boss but I was able to rez and buff before the next group, those were the only deaths although there were plenty of close calls. To cut a long story short we did kill the dragon for the drake with mere seconds remaining but good lord that was tough going.

As for DPS, the DK was pulling around 2200, the moonkin and mage around 1700 each

dagimp007
03-09-2009, 02:50 PM
For anyone interested I'll be editing together a similar guide from a Paladin perspective soon (hopefully later today).

I've already got the full fraps, I just haven't gotten around to the editing yet.
where is the pally one?

Darkfist
03-22-2009, 03:33 AM
you should disarm that time shift boss b4 he does the timeshift, i find it quite helpful in preventing all that random damage done. :)

Byteme
03-22-2009, 01:56 PM
Please note that any pally should be able to one shot many of the risen zombies with a simple holy wrath...

Blink
03-23-2009, 09:22 PM
Been doing this for the last week with a few friends so we all get the mount.

Fastest set-up was probably Paladin tank, Paladin healer(me), 3 x Mage. A lot of the instance is undead so both pallys just used Holy Wrath whenever possible.

Easiest set-up was 5 Paladins. We were all on skype and after about 3 pulls we had a nice cycle of holy wraths going to keep the undead mobs stunned and allow even the healer to dps. If I ever needed mana I just asked for a lay on hands and everyone could off-heal if anything went horribly wrong.

9 minutes left was our record with everyone doing about 3k dps and having quite lucky spawns at the beginning.

Thundarius
03-30-2009, 03:39 PM
Hey guys just wanted to add that a good kill order is necros/devouring ghouls/lowest hp

Devo ghouls b/c they eat corpses and it refills some of their health sometimes quite a bit, so the fewer corpses around the better

This is the rotation I have used and have since got at least 10 different people the drake GOOD LUCK HOPE THIS HELPS AND WAS NOT POSTED BEFORE:)

CodyM
04-10-2009, 12:55 PM
Addon Question: I have the Squeenix minimap addon. For a while it worked fine, but now it doesn't show the next group(little white flag on minimap). Anyone know/using a different minimap addon that shows this? Or maybe if the default minimap does it, an addon that lets you move it. Thanks

Dubzil
04-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Sexymap shows it fine, very sexy addon as well

CodyM
04-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Thanks! I'll give it a try

Pheloneus
04-15-2009, 10:52 AM
I know you might be saying, "what in the world is this noob talking about?" However, it works! After you take the "short cut" you can skip Arthas and start grinding through the gauntlet and head directly for the mount boss.

It's been speculated that this reduces the number of mobs. Only downside to skipping Arthas is that after you'll need to go back and do the gauntlet again.

Lastly, to squeeze out a few more seconds if your really tight you can have your tank pull the mount boss down the hall a ways as he will return to his original position before de-spawns.

Hope this helps!

Pheloneus
The Gift of War - a fun-loving guild on WoW's Undermine server (http://www.thegiftofwar.com)

jyanecobb
05-14-2009, 05:00 PM
i got mine the frst time there EVER god i LOVE MY TANK warrior that is =)