PDA

View Full Version : Protection Warrior vs. Healers

Gokor
11-16-2008, 12:21 AM
Hey all, new to the forum. I always thought this was a PvE/raid forum, but apparently you have a PvP section as well :)

My question concerns the viability of Protection Warriors against (self-)healing classes. It basically boils down to whether we can beat them and how. Not just talking about the real healing classes here: also opponents like self-healing Retribution Paladins and (shudder) Death Knights.

I feel that if my healing opponent plays conservatively, he can always win the war of attrition. Yet I'm relatively new to the class, so I hope you'll disagree with me and provide me with lots of examples on why I'm wrong :D

Grakkur
11-16-2008, 02:50 AM
You're going to have an arsenal of interrupts at your disposal. Charge, intercept, shield bash, heroic throw (if talented), concussion blow, intimidating shout and probably something else that my morning head can't remember right now.

The more HoTs they have, the more trouble you'll have.

Gokor
11-16-2008, 04:44 AM
You're going to have an arsenal of interrupts at your disposal. Charge, intercept, shield bash, heroic throw (if talented), concussion blow, intimidating shout and probably something else that my morning head can't remember right now.

The more HoTs they have, the more trouble you'll have.
Yes, it's the instant-heals that worry me most. HoTs and shields can probably be Shield Slammed off, but stuff like instant Flashes of Light or Death Strikes...there's nothing I can do to interrupt or negate those.

Warriors aren't meant for wars of attrition, are they? Originally I thought longer fights were in my favor, because Rage never runs out. But with more classes being able to keep themselves up near-indefinite, I'm starting to think I need to focus more on damage/bursting my opponent down.

Is this correct? And isn't Arms then actually better?

Grakkur
11-16-2008, 09:04 AM
Protection isn't supposed to be a PvP-oriented tree like Arms is. Remember though that with 3.0 came a new overhaul and focus for prot warriors which meant our burst DPS is actually a force to be reckoned with (along with the fact that we can take an avalanche of damage and still walk out smiling).

I listed a huge amount of interrupts already, acknowledge them. Shockwave is another btw.