PDA

View Full Version : A Song of Ice and Fire

Naux
11-15-2008, 10:33 PM
I know some of you read it. Let's talk about what we think is going to happen. I, for one, am mad stoked for the resolution of the seemingly imminent Dani and Jon union. I also cannot wait for the HBO series.

Tatt
11-21-2008, 04:16 PM
Did you say HBO series? I will admit to enjoying the books, but refuse to be that much of a fan when the author takes 3-4 years to write each book, makes it too hard to enjoy.

Taelas
11-23-2008, 07:25 PM
I could talk for hours about what I think is going to happen in aSoIaF, but I'm not going to -- because with that author, I do not dare hope for anything. ;)

It's definitely my favorite book series, but it's also not one that everyone will enjoy. As for the HBO series, I am cautiously optimistic.

Horacio
11-24-2008, 01:52 PM
Yeah....I'll believe it when I see it. I liked the books though they kinda drug on for a bit in spots. The lack of a real obvious hero character that you could follow from chapter to chapter was a bit strange for the genre.

orlastud
11-25-2008, 01:29 PM
If it stick to its source, it has the ability to be a good series. While I do agree that there are times where it drags on to much and Martin introduces characters that hold little bearing on the story save for 1 event that they see or hear about first or second hand, only to die shortly after passing this information to more major characters. This also is one of his strengths, as he is not afraid of killing major figures and has no intention of bringing them back.

I also like the fact that there is no obvious hero character, and you couldnt even call most of the characters good or evil. They all have three dimensions and its up to the reader to interpret what they see. Cersi may be a ruthless b!tch, but she's doing it all for her kids. Jamie may have killed the very king he was sworn to protect, but the king was killing people for little to no reason.

I wait with cautious optimism that they dont try to change it to much or have a central story character, because that would ruin the essence of this series.

Meeks
11-25-2008, 01:36 PM
This is my favorite series by far. Kicks the crap out of WOT and LOTR. At the end of the first book when it looks like Stark is going to be sent to the wall at the last minute preserving the standard fantasy plot of nothing mortal every happening to the main character. Then when they executed him anyway it changed the fantasy genre for me. I got scared of what might happen on the next page.

He is also a genius of shades of gray. It is not always clear who are the bad guys and who are good. It is an amazing series.

That being said he needs to start writing faster, a lot faster.

veneretio
11-25-2008, 01:51 PM
My favourite series by far despite the disappointing format of the most recent book. I'm really not looking forward to the next book, but instead to the one after that where I hope he'll finally return to his original format of telling both sides of the story. (this last book only told one side... as will this one coming up :( )

Wow, this thread made me check his site... he's actually updating his blog :D