PDA

View Full Version : Removing people from a guild

tripp6sic6
11-09-2008, 06:18 AM
Since I became a guild master, I've had a few dilemmas regarding when kicking members is appropriate. We are a raiding guild with a social aspect to it. We have over 200 members and there a lot of differing personalities. We don't need any member to continue raiding (although that may change in Wrath). Basically, up until now, the only reasons I've kicked people from guild is direct insubordination, but there are a few issues that I've thought about removing people from the guild for.

The first is people that are annoying and don't raid. They have a few friends in the guild, but they generally don't contribute to the guild in any way. They don't generally break rules, but are just generally annoying to be around.

The second is people that raid, but break minor rules sometimes. They have a few friends in the guild and can play their toon well. They break rules often enough that I worry about the perception that the rules don't apply to them. They generally don't take badly to an officer talking to them, but it happens often enough that it still looks bad.

The third is people that just generally don't show up that often. They don't contribute to the guild socially or in raiding. I would have no problem with kick them, except that perception is reality. I don't want people to have the idea that we will kick people for no reason.

Again, this is more about the perception of the guild for all of these. We don't want people to believe that we are too lenient or too strict. The policy of the guild is generally to recruit to replace someone if they aren't up to par in raids, rather than kicking people.

What do you think?

Lizana
11-09-2008, 11:00 AM
As a GM for a raiding guild myself and former class officer of many guilds before hand, i have been in similar spots as yourself.

As far as the inactive people, Once a month i make an announcement on our forums for the "Inactive check". I post everyone's name that has not been on in the last month and ask the guildies to please tell me if they know anything about any of the players before they are removed from the guild. 1 week later, everyone that has not either logged in themselves to those chars or had some one else in the guild post saying they knew where the person was gets removed. This allows everyone the ability to know why those people were removed.

Now for the annoying people that dont raid and may just be there socialy, i find that unless your going just for hardcore raiding its best to keep those people in there. You never know when you might need that one extra person for a 25 man or such, and having a guildie is almost always preferred to a random pug member. As far as them being annoying, thats just one of the unknown "perks" to being a Guild leader, you have to hang out with the cool kids and the not so cool kids both. And if your good at your job you may even be able to personally or though your officer team to motivate them to becoming a consistent raider.

Now for your last point, the people that constantly break minor rules. Rules are rules. Its as simple as that. I started a policy in my guild of you break a rule, your given one warning by /tell or by personal chat in vent, Second time you break a rule, i call you out in guild chat/raid chat or publicly over vent. 3rd rule broken you lose raiding for 1 week. After that i progress to demotion, removal of dkp then finally kicking from the guild. Kicking should be a last resort, and you need to show that you do punish people other ways. Also keeping a public infraction report that is cleared every 3 months or so. This way people can go and see why someone was removed/got in trouble

kolben
11-14-2008, 01:36 PM
Without meaning to be draconian about it...

If you are gonna have rules and not enforce them equally, why have them? Just about any organization that I can think of that I take seriously is serious about their rules, including video game guilds/clans.

I've been in your shoes, so I appreciate the dilemma. I'm willing to bet your quality members who pull their weight and do the right thing would support you if you approach it with a cool head.

Calintara
11-14-2008, 02:14 PM
I concur with the other posts here. Being the GM and a RL i think a good portion of your member's responses to guild policies come from the GM and the others on the leadership team.

I think we all know that the way people treat the GM versus other members is always a little different. I think that is natural. The leadership team however needs to remain unified and consistent. A wavering leadership ultimately leads to a chaotic environment as those that know how to bend the rules start fracturing the member unity base.

I guess what i am trying to get out there is that your member base will key directly off the leadership team. Leading your people by example is one excellent method to use. As a GM you have to be careful about the example that you set. If someone breaks a rule then you should have a definitive solution set to each infraction on an escalating scale.

It sounds like, and dont take offence, that you are not running the guild, but rather, the guild is running you. Who are these "people" that you are referring to when you say that you dont want people to think the guild is too lenient or too strict? If those people are in the member base then the problem that i see is that they should already know this before they walk into your guild hall. If these people are external then I have to wonder why the GM is concerned more about external perception of the guild rather then focusing on domestic affairs of the Guild.

A guild is a community and the larger that the community grows, the easier it is to fall apart. I would recommend a few things:

--Identify in your leadership team those players that adhere to your Guild Values.
--Weed out any leadership not on the same page.
--Draft a policy of how you would like things to be.
--Review said policy with your leadership team.
--Finalize the policy and roll it out to your member base
--Reprimand AND Reward your member base, based off performance to policy.

Remember, the leadership is there to provide structure and guidance to your guild members. The GM is there to police the leadership. The guild is a direct reflection of the GM.

I hope something in here may be of assistance to you.

kongkarl
02-11-2009, 03:10 PM
--Finalize the policy and roll it out to your member base
I think is key imo.

But the whole of Calintaras post is very good.

Also, you dont always have to kick, often they will leave the guild when they are never invited to at raid/heroic or nobody wants to enchant their items etc.

Also, in our guild we have a silent rank, thats right, you cant write in guildchat if your rank is silent - we never use it, I think we used it once or twice on drunk members for 5 min or so, but just saying: "we have a silent rank u know, dont tempt me :)" - is enough

Communication is a very powerfull thing, what ever you do.

Hope it helped and good luck man :)

veneretio
02-18-2009, 07:53 AM
The second is people that raid, but break minor rules sometimes. They have a few friends in the guild and can play their toon well. They break rules often enough that I worry about the perception that the rules don't apply to them. They generally don't take badly to an officer talking to them, but it happens often enough that it still looks bad.
These people breed more people like them and represent the biggest issue to your guild.

Annoying people should be warned about being annoying and if no attempt is made to not annoy the hell out of people then they should be removed too.

greendragonempire
02-18-2009, 08:43 AM
What are your "minor" rules people are breaking?

Berzerker
02-20-2009, 07:12 AM
Rules are rules. Its as simple as that. I started a policy in my guild of you break a rule, your given one warning by /tell or by personal chat in vent, Second time you break a rule, i call you out in guild chat/raid chat or publicly over vent. 3rd rule broken you lose raiding for 1 week. After that i progress to demotion, removal of dkp then finally kicking from the guild. Kicking should be a last resort, and you need to show that you do punish people other ways. Also keeping a public infraction report that is cleared every 3 months or so. This way people can go and see why someone was removed/got in trouble

My guild is more casual, but similar idea, we employ a "3-strike" rule. You break the rules, you're warned privately, and a note made on your account. After a month with no infractions, the number of infractions on you is reduced by 1. on the third infraction, you're demoted. If you're minimum rank and get 3 strikes, you're asked to leave. Or kicked if you aren't willing to cooperate.