PDA

View Full Version : Is my gear ready for WOTLK grind/5man tank?

Valazar
11-08-2008, 09:53 AM
Hey guys:

I just found out that the armory is updated and works again so can you please offer some insights on my gear? I'm laking in str hit and a bit of def atm. I've been lvl 70 for about 2 weeks now and im working on grinding sso rep and such. I also took on the task of plvling BS which is 278 atm due to all the recepies that i saw in wowhead the other day. I figure that i could be upgrading my gear as i lvl in wotlk but i wanted to see what do i need to do now so that i dont suck at tanking in wotlk.

Thanks for all the help, here is the link

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Durotan&n=Valazar)

Noglory
11-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Look at a few of the pre-kara guides on this forum. If you can, see if you cant collect a few more defensive pieces from normal 70 instances. But as it is atm, I dont think you will have any problem tanking 71 instances. If you can tank normal Shattered Halls, you should have no problem in Wrath provided you update you prot gear as you level. I dont know if you played pre-BC, but warriors could tank Hellfire Ramparts with a few peices of green quest gear and lvl 60 dps gear.

Also try and get your def rating to 490, its not that big of a deal to remain critable in 5 mans leveling, but by 80 heroics and instances you are going to want to be uncritable. I think the rating for uncritable at 80 is around 540, please correct me if I am wrong.

Valazar
11-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Also try and get your def rating to 490, its not that big of a deal to remain critable in 5 mans leveling, but by 80 heroics and instances you are going to want to be uncritable. I think the rating for uncritable at 80 is around 540, please correct me if I am wrong.

This is what concerns me the most. 540 is the 80 requirement i belive too but should i sacrifice stam/str for def that much? w the def head and cloak chants i could push it 30 more pts. If thats correct then i could stack stam and other gems like str but now w str being upped in importance for a tank im confused lol.

BTW, thanks for the reply

-V-

Noglory
11-08-2008, 10:52 AM
I think its really going to depend on your own experiences in normal 70 instances. If you are getting consistently crited, and your healer feels like you are taking too much dmg, you might want to work on defense. The first Wrath instance is not going to be much harder than a 70 normal instances, so that is a good place to test your gear out. I dont want to say you need 490 defense, min/maxing is really not what you want to be doing while leveling. If you are doing any melee heavy heroics (Hellfire, TK, ect.) I would definatly say you need more defense. But as it is, Heroics are much harder than anything you would be facing in the first few dungeons of Wrath. Its really going to depend on your experience.

Honestly I am aoe tanking heroics with less than 490 (around 480) and do not have any issues. Theory crafting and min/maxing aren't all the important while running normal instances. I have seen warriors in full pvp gear (season 2) tank normal 70 instances just fine.

Otherwise, I think you have the right idea stacking stam/str, I would also try and raise your hit rating (in order for your specials not to miss on 73 mobs, you need 142 hit rating) if it doesnt mean sacrificing to many other stats.

Valazar
11-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Thanks a lot for the info. Lets see if someone else comments on this hehe.

-V-

trueX
11-09-2008, 08:54 AM
Your gear is far underpar, to be quite honest. In comparison, when im specced prot, I have more defense and stam in my full out dps set, using a 2her :/ - you are not ready and I dont think you will have much luck come wrath until you gear really gets upgraded. You arent even close to the 490 cap for the current lvl 70 stuff, and you need to be at 580 when you hit level 80. Your lacking about 160 def rating to not get WTFSmashed when WotLK comes out.

O and disregard hit rating, with expertise and the way our dmg went up hit rating is moot. Dont totally forget about it, but with expertise, and the new expertise gems in WotLK, you dont have to ever try for or gem for hit. I tank with like 20 hit rating and do just fine. BUt then again, im at 540 def and 1200 sbv, 18k hp :C

What I would do is run all the heroics you can, all day all the time. Some of the epic badge gear is amazing. Get badge helm, Sunguard Legs, Girdle of the Fearless, Sabatons of the Righteous Defender, Chestplate of Stoicism, and the tanking Ring would be HUGE upgrades to your gear, for almost nothing.

Noglory
11-09-2008, 10:50 PM
You have to remember that heroics are way above the difficulty level you are going to be to facing in the first few instances of wrath. These instances are tuned so that a dps specced warrior would be able to throw on a shield an tank. Isnt that why they gave all warriors SS regardless of spec?

Glomgore
11-10-2008, 06:50 AM
580 is incorrect.

You need 5.6% crit reduction, which at level 70, is 490.

level 80 is 5.6%, and 10 more levels of defense due to skill brings you to 540.

Max your def skill each level before you do an instance, keep your 5.6% crit reduction, and as long as you aren't running instys far beyond your skill level, you'll be fine.

Remember, 5.6% is crit reduction for raid bosses, which are considered 3 levels higher than yourself at 80. Anything higher than that, and they are going to start crushing, and your gonna have bigger problems that remaining uncritable.

Kazeyonoma
11-10-2008, 09:30 AM
Moved.

Starbuck
11-18-2008, 07:44 AM
Checked your armory now and it looks like you been going in Nexus already. So you might not need any advice, still your def rating is low so here's some anyway:

Pick up the Tundra pauldrons and the gloves from the Nexus quest lines if u havent already. I got them the other day and replaced my T4 stuff.

Get the felsteel leggings from a BS, or craft them yourself. (Dunno about new BS stuff is better maybe?)

I've been questing in Borean T the last two days and seen alot of def pieces. Nothing that beats what I had before but you should probably look into those quests.

Saronite Defender at lvl 73, crafted shield.

*$

Valazar
11-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Checked your armory now and it looks like you been going in Nexus already. So you might not need any advice, still your def rating is low so here's some anyway:

Pick up the Tundra pauldrons and the gloves from the Nexus quest lines if u havent already. I got them the other day and replaced my T4 stuff.

Get the felsteel leggings from a BS, or craft them yourself. (Dunno about new BS stuff is better maybe?)

I've been questing in Borean T the last two days and seen alot of def pieces. Nothing that beats what I had before but you should probably look into those quests.

Saronite Defender at lvl 73, crafted shield.

*$
My def is low because im using my DPS gear for the lvlgrind but i do have abou 495Def atm and still working to up it a bit. I am 410 MIner/367 BS and im working on finding a nice route to do cobalt so that i can up my BS to get the shield and other pieces. Can you please tell me which quest in nexus has the gloves becuase I only saw one when i got there. and if you pls link them here? thank you.