PDA

View Full Version : HALP! Its been bugging me....

Angwel
11-07-2008, 09:19 AM
Ok, I don't claim to be much more then a pug tank. Ive MT'd Kara, and Heroics (I know big whoop a mage can MT kara these days). The other night I was asked to help a guild I had never met before filled with people I have never heard of. I am not a stranger to pugs in fact I think I get some kind of sick perversion out of them.

The Instance was ZA. I informed them I had never been inside ZA on my tank. They didnt care and just wanted a MT. Short comings of the group aside, (I was number 2 on the dmg meters as mt >.< ) We tried the first 2 bosses and failed hard. I was asked about my dodge, block, and parry. I was then told that I was way to undergeared for the area.

Normally I try to be an EH tank so I know my avoidence stats are a bit lacking but this got to me today. I do have an avoidence set (sadly even wearing it I was below where they thought I should be, and sadly I didnt log out in it for you to see) So what I am wondering is what I should be looking at changing (if anything) or reassurance that I am not a compleate nub.

Numbers (all unbuffed):

Hp: 16304
Ac: 17796
Def: 469 (uncritable with resil)
Resil: 71
Dodge: 20.96%
Parry: 14.5%
Block: 16.92%
BV: 469 (I think)

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Silver+Hand&n=Frodio)

Any advice would be good. Feel free to comment on spec as well. Please keep in mind that I generaly only raid kara but want information about where to go from here gear wise.

loquatious
11-07-2008, 09:30 AM
I'd say you are fine for the new ZA - 16k health unbuffed is great

The avoidance stats are a bit low but the bosses are doing 30% less damage so Physical avoidance is not nearly as important.

if you were out dpsing the raid then they just suck in a big way - the fact that they were so desperate they took a tank with no ZA experience is kind of a giveaway. Ideally the MT should know the place from some runs as an off tank.

Angwel
11-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Thank you Loquatious. Thats kinda what I was thinking. Anyone have any gear suggestions for me?

Saturday
11-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Echoing Loq, I've tanked it with less. Bad group is bad and pug tanks are easy to blame.

Gear-wise, I'd replace the Sentry ring with one of the badge ones but it's not really important at this point (a week away from wrath) as you could tank most of the normals in blues.

If you have badges spare, blow them on gems to sell if they're selling well still as having the gold at 80 to buy gems/enchants will help your tanking in the future more than gear you'll replace soon.

Warwench
11-07-2008, 07:10 PM
your stats are fine, the group sucked, not you.

Magnuss
11-07-2008, 07:16 PM
I suppose ill be the one to ask... why did the group fail? we can obviously tell that the dps was lackluster at best and that group setup wasnt ideal but blame came onto you from somewhere. I have been in many PuGs and they have criticized me for numerous different things. 99% of the time they dont know what they are talking about and end up shutting up when they try to accuse me of something. Sometimes however, i just suck. If your raid died to bear because you didnt taunt in time or didnt stand with your offtank then that IS your fault. If they are trying to say you died because your gear didnt have enough avoidance then not one of them is even remotely qualified to say that, especially when they were so persistant to bring you.

Angwel
11-07-2008, 10:34 PM
I have been thinking about changing that ring but was worried about the loss of the dodge (more so after this group)

As far as why the blame was placed on me it was gear. I taunted bear jsut fine. however died shortly thereafter (they had me on bear form). Supposedly I am undergeared for ZA. The way I tanked wasnt the question nor were the stratigies that were used it was my gear that was questioned sadly.

Good to hear im not compleatly off my rocker when it comes to my stats. I just couldnt belive I was receiving blame when as far as I could tell I was doing every thing right.

Silentslayer
11-09-2008, 12:00 AM
If I remember bear correctly you need multiple tanks in front of him to help absorb the damage he does or is that another fight, I have only been in ZA once. So i your group didnt have another tank with you taking the damage then its thier fault not yours.

thedrawrf
11-09-2008, 04:17 PM
Your stats are fine for t5+, the group seems to have been the typical pug ass biters that have been crawling out of the woodwork for the past few days.