PDA

View Full Version : Naming your guild.

Gwailo
11-03-2008, 05:47 AM
It really does seem like such a task.

Countless amounts of times I've seen guilds with names such as <Naga Stole Mah Platnum Grillz> or <I am a cupcake> which funnily enough, have a driving force behind it that wishes for it to be a raiding guild to some extent.

I honestly couldn't see it, a guild name is an identity and has to have some character and it's quite difficult these days to actually ponder on what you would name it. I'm at this position where I've rerolled on a random server, I'm starting fresh and some fellow peeps have followed me because they like how I am and my ambitions and the first thing that's coming to mind are guild names, seeking inspiration, proposing them to others.

How do yourselves as guild leaders or potentials, get inspiration for it? For me, I personally love using the thesaurus and grabbing random words from actions in everyday life.

Discuss!

P.S. - I've found that the name's <Game Plan> <Showtime> or <Strategy> sink in for me, yet I'm still brainstorming more and still finding it hard to pick that core identity that will stick for many, many months to come, even years.

Morcius
11-03-2008, 05:59 AM
as for core raiding ideas how about

Toon name here
<Got Out of the Fire>

Bigmoomma
11-03-2008, 06:18 AM
... The word came up in your post.

<Inspiration>

Doxai
11-03-2008, 06:31 AM
<Name>
<A grave robber>

Krashtork
11-03-2008, 06:50 AM
Names mean a lot for a guild. Certain names appeal to a certain type of people. Guild with a name like, <Lich slapped> will probably appeal to more pvp based people, where as a guild with the name <Arthas or bust> is probably more likely to attract semi serious raiding types. I have noticed a trend that most good raiding guilds have a name of 1-2 words nd no more. <Midnight>, <Tempora Heroica>, <Nihilum>, <SK Gaming>, ect.

More dignified names are likely to deter silly players that are just playing for the easy amusements. Something in a dead language normally goes over well.

Ciderhelm
11-03-2008, 06:52 AM
While I do appreciate including Tempora in the list, Krash, it's not anywhere near the league of Premonition or Nihilum or SK Gaming.

Gwailo
11-03-2008, 06:58 AM
There is definitely the ideal thought of attracting certain types of people to said guild with just the name alone, it's a powerful thing.

Also Cider is just being shy because his guild is edible and theirs is not and he knows that means so much more.

http://www.restaurantwidow.com/images/tempura_3.jpg

Optimoos
11-03-2008, 07:18 AM
Except "tempora" is latin for time, where tempura is what you've so kindly shared a picture of :P

Gwailo
11-03-2008, 07:20 AM
Of course, but I still like to throw out the bad joke. :D

Sanelora
11-03-2008, 07:32 AM
i like my guild for the reason that it sums up the attitudes of people on my server:

Sanelora
<Super Serious Guild>

Then again i think Satrina was/is in a Sunwell guild called <Clowns on Fire>
and there was a sunwell guild on Cho'gall (I dont know if this is correct) called <Death Monkey>

There is a certain attitude that people take from your guild name but dont get bogged up in it too much. If your members put across a good attitude and play well and you happen to have a strange name, it just makes you more memorable. That being said something like <Naga stole my bike> or <Murlock got my sox> is kind of... poor choice of wit to say the least. The name does reflect on how people will view your members. The same way as if i walked down the road and i wore a shirt that said "i think your stupid" people would either not take me seriously or pass me off as being an idiot but if i wore my shirt that has this on it:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/121/264303122_720661a009.jpg?v=0
People would chuckle and remember me more. It is all about finesse.

Another example, the 46th or something top guild in the world is called <Gigantor> and is named after an anime.

That is just my 2 cents.

Gwailo
11-03-2008, 07:37 AM
I shall definitely pocket your 2 cents. By the way, OT a little but that shirt is more than amazing, where did you buy it. TELL ME EVERYTHING.

Sanelora
11-03-2008, 07:43 AM
haha, to be honest, i got that shirt when i was visiting the USA - It was from a K-Mart or Target in LA about 3 years ago.

I am an Aussie BTW

Fayre
11-03-2008, 10:04 AM
I inherited <Soldiers of Azeroth> - thankfully the founder didn't go with his first idea and call it <Dancing with Wolves>

You should think about the type of people you want and the types of names they'd be attracted to. Also if its a multi-part name, consider what it is it shortens to ;)

Gwailo
11-03-2008, 10:28 AM
I think I'm going to settle with <Joystick Heroes>

When I was younger, I loved that movie and it just suits me and some of the others like it too. How about you guys? It's mature yet has a sense of childishness behind it.

Buttah
11-03-2008, 04:12 PM
We named our guild <clique>. It fits us. We have played together for 3 or more years now and are incredibly wary of who we let in guild and with who we associate. This makes us look like clique-ish, elitist, snobs. In reality we are all very easy going, friendly (to a degree), and have an incredible atmoshpere.

Think of the kind of people you want to BE in your guild and go that route. <Naga stole my bike> is great and all, but that may not get you the type of applicants you're looking to invite. <clique> fits us because we stick to ourselves... find what fits you.

Krashtork
11-03-2008, 04:54 PM
I find that <Glamorous Kitten Adventures> attracts the right kind of folk :P

Satrina
11-03-2008, 05:43 PM
<Clowns on Fire> - that's us! I liked <Mt. Hyjal Snowboard Team> too.

Rule of thumb: If it sounds like it came from Tolkien, or even worse, Terry Brooks, discard immediately. Leave the heroic sounding stuff for novelists.

Kazeyonoma
11-03-2008, 05:46 PM
lol the tempura joke made me laugh so hard at work.

To be fair, SK Gaming is paid to use that name for... you guessed it, a sponsoring gaming corporation named SK Gaming. They pay people/teams/players to try to achieve great things so that their name becomes popular.

Sanelora
11-03-2008, 06:06 PM
<Mt. Hyjal Snowboard Team>

I am stealing this. OH MY GOD I am stealing this.

Einlanzer
11-04-2008, 04:08 AM
Here's a few suggestions based on what basically everyone feels is acceptable for a raiding guild nowadays:

<Ominous Latin Name>
<Something Clever>
<Vaguely Spiritual Word>
<Normal word in another language which makes it edgy because it's not in english>

Basically, anything that "that guy", and you know who he is, in your life would get tattooed on his left arm is acceptable to name a raiding guild.

Arrivan
11-04-2008, 04:53 AM
Here's one for the Muse fans out there. I saw a beta guild called <Death Knights of Cydonia>, which led me to go out and get a charter of the same name. I haven't actually gone ahead with getting signatures yet. I probably won't though because I actually think guilds named after songs/movies/TV shows/anything like that are really lame.

Another edit: Here's what I hate in a guild name: <ANYTHING IN ALL CAPS> and <anything all in lower case>, especially when it's one of those clique guilds which only one or two of the server's "cool kids club" people are members of. I don't know why but those kinds of guilds really grate on me.

Girlie
11-04-2008, 05:06 AM
<---was in a guild called Death By Snoo Snoo

and I now know why Cider is so appealing...Tempora Heroica..

mmm...does it come with a side of rice?

Gwailo
11-04-2008, 08:35 AM
It comes with a side of frothy cider chaudeau! Mmmmm yum.

Although I said Joystick Heroes, I still haven't decided ultimately. I love most of the names I come up with, it's more of a question of if the others will go with it too, let's just say I love the direct responses of "There is no way I'm joining a guild named that" or "No".

Stegho
11-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Rule of thumb: If it sounds like it came from Tolkien, or even worse, Terry Brooks, discard immediately. Leave the heroic sounding stuff for novelists.

So, we named our guild <Fire and Blood> based upon a motto of sorts in a series of fantasy novels. I don't think it's too absurdly awful, and George was happy to OK it in advance. :D

Bigmoomma
11-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Here's a few suggestions based on what basically everyone feels is acceptable for a raiding guild nowadays:

<Ominous Latin Name>
<Something Clever>
<Vaguely Spiritual Word>
<Normal word in another language which makes it edgy because it's not in english>

Basically, anything that "that guy", and you know who he is, in your life would get tattooed on his left arm is acceptable to name a raiding guild.

You make me want to name my guild < <MOM3 >

But seriously, my favorite guild name to date (we got disbanded and I got a 3 day suspension for it, lol, still totally worth it) was a guild made day 1 or 2 after vanilla release. <Game Master> GOD we got spammed to shit, hillariously fun though.

Kazeyonoma
11-04-2008, 04:35 PM
Hrm..

First guild name: Lords of Destruction
transferred and joined: Sine Pari (without equal in latin)
jumped ship to : Tenacity
jumped back to Sine Pari
Temporary/honorary member of: Warpath
xferred to Korgath to join: Flying Schwoog Brigade
rejoined newly created: Sine Pari
about to jump ship to person who made Tenacity who's new guild is named: Tranquil

LOL

I'm pretty sure every single one minus FSB falls into your above category.

Krashtork
11-04-2008, 11:10 PM
I like <Mt. Hyjal Snowboard Team> that's so awesome! I may steal that at some point.

Ciderhelm
11-05-2008, 03:34 PM
<CTRL A CTRL C> would be a good name imo.

Krashtork
11-06-2008, 12:24 AM
I dun get it.

Melenkurion
11-06-2008, 05:33 AM
<Have Your Mom on farm>
<Fat Kids Playing DDR>
<Get in the Van>
<is a Living Legend>

Indeed guild names that may attract the wrong kind of people. I am of the opinion that guild names shoudl reflect the attitudes and direction the guild founders want to take. Granted, many guild are set just to be a bank for some high lv toon, and with all the "paying 1g to sign guild charter" quality has lost over quantity.

Anyway, I like funny guild names, but with the caveat that the guild name showcases the underlying tone of the guild.

Some guilds that I have been or I am a memeber of with any and all my toons:

<One> Very team oriented
<The Old Gods> Bunch of veteran players
<Destruction> Mostly trade chatters and pvpers
<Straight outa Strathome> I love these guys, what else is there to say
<EndGamers> Some of <The Old Gods> folks are here now and it positively reflect what they want to accomplish

Petninja
11-06-2008, 05:53 AM
I've always run a casual guild for my alts parallel to the raiding guild of my choice. Pre-Xfer I ran a guild called <Pirates Say Arr In Bed> as an escape for myself and my friends to hide from guild politics and drama and started killing the game for us. After most of the guild died I lead an exodus off the server. Now we are looking to form a new guild with emphasis on shinanigans over hardcore stuff, since going hardcore seems like it detracts from the enjoyment of the game itself once the necessity for progression and "moar lewts" become more important than actually enjoying the game. I've all but settled on <Garden Variety Ninjas>, a throwback to my old Guild Wars guild. Perhaps a bit cliche, the mental imagery it conjures up makes me smile inside.

mero12513
11-07-2008, 12:53 PM
I've been rummaging through old religious texts and dead languages. Sanskrit is actually pretty awesome. Any of the following could be a guild name, but because they all fit in the 12-character limit, me and 2 friends will be making a 3-person DeathKnight tag team of epic win:

AsatoGamaya - From Delusion, lead me
TamasoGamaya - From Darkness, lead me
MyrtirGamaya - From Death, lead me

It's hack of some sanskrit phrases in a religious text that I can't currently remember the name of. It's also from the first verse of Neodammerung, the huge ending fight theme in third Matrix movie.

Parah
11-07-2008, 11:24 PM
Guilds i've been a part of:
<House of Debauchery> (on alliance then on horde side)
<COOL> (broke the all caps rule)
<Sundered> (Never name after a class ability)
<Spirit of Malorne> (RP names should be avoided)
<Built Horde Tough> (Hung out and tanked for a friend till I transferred)
<Insanity> (Current guild on Arthas)

Have to say, House of Debauchery will always be my favorite, but Insanity isn't bad either.

salihe
11-11-2008, 02:58 PM
My favorite guild name I ever came up with was "Innuendo". It's a little ambiguous, a little random, and it perfectly described the way I wanted my guild to be represented: people never saw us coming. Tho, I will admit it was a little annoying listening to people butcher the pronunciation, along with constantly having to explain what it meant.

Wha
11-11-2008, 03:11 PM
I've always liked

<My girlfriend's a horde>
<Little shop of hordes> I have an alt in there
<Critty Critty Bang Bang> A guild I started but never got running

I have my main in <Elder Knights> nothing original but tells what the guild is about. Us older folk.

Baphomet
11-11-2008, 03:22 PM
I ended up making a new raid/progression guild for WotLK.. < Destined to Reign> Seems we're the only one with that name too.. Hopefully, it will be a success for us when we all hit lvl 80.

First Post Ever FTW!

Krashtork
11-11-2008, 03:29 PM
<Destined to Reign> eh?
A rather bold name. Hope you can live up to it.

Baphomet
11-11-2008, 03:33 PM
<Destined to Reign> eh?
A rather bold name. Hope you can live up to it.

I hope so too. We're quite dedicated, I just hope it stays that way.

Saturday
11-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Coming from a position where my guild is trying to re-build, putting on a new guild tag has been in our minds to get rid of some of the negative impressions our older, since removed, members created.

Trying to get even four people to agree on a name has been trying to say the least. The funniest name to come out of this though has probably been

<Kalimdor Fried Gnome>

But I doubt we're going to use it :p Other suggestions have been the standard stock of latin names and one-word tags, all of which feel cliche at this point.

A majority of us are leaning towards <Tastes Great with Cake> as a tongue-in-cheek tag. We're seriously casual (or casually serious ;)) and the tag seems to do a pretty good job of not making it seem like we take ourselves to any sort of extreme. It's also not taken on any servers yet! So kind of unique :P

kolben
11-13-2008, 04:55 PM
<Raiding Rainbow>
<Volition>

A couple that I like.

I agree that funny names tend to attract the LOL look at my guild name crowd. You have to decide if <Sapped Girls are EZMode> will attract the kinds of prospective members you want.

I'm leaning towards very short initial names like <HBR>, but no idea if that's a dumb idea. I have a knack for em :P

EDIT: Let me add that you should steer away from the [Blank] Souls thing. Anything + souls sounds alright until you realize how overused it is. Hind sight being 20/20 I think the charter signers would have disbanded and opted for something less generic.

AxLxExX
11-13-2008, 05:14 PM
I hate it when a guild's name is a movie reference, but the people in the guild actually have no idea of what movie it is. Like on my old ally server there was a guild <Green Street Elite> after the movie Green Street Hooligans, but I whispered a couple members randomly and asked, no one had any idea what it meant.
Or I hate when a guild is ONLY something. Like there was a guild on my other server that was called P M S and it was an all women guild.
idk it just bugs me.

Sanelora
11-30-2008, 09:31 AM
one of my good friends had a guild called <Chicks IRL>

I chuckled a little bit considering that everyone i knew in it was a guy. Possibly some of the BEST responses to the guild name ended up with people hitting on my guy friends in game.

Edgar
11-30-2008, 10:19 AM
With my mage I was in a guild called "The Tempest" and we were bad, I think. We took like 3 days to clear Kara when BT was out.

Anyways I haven't been in serious guilds since then, it's always some random crap guild that I open up so my twinks can have a tabard and I invite some guildless friends.

I had "High-Five to the face", "rips your jacket" and some other stupid crap, it's all inside jokes that only my friends get. Except for High-Five to the face, got a lot of whispers that told me how much they like that name.

Elyvern
12-01-2008, 02:15 AM
I facepalmed when I overheard a guy on trade asking for signatures to his guild "Server bin Lagin". ><

Halandir
12-02-2008, 09:00 AM
imo, if you have to explain what your guild name means, think again.

I like one-word names, our new guild is <Journey>

Elyvern
12-02-2008, 09:05 AM
imo, if you have to explain what your guild name means, think again.

I like one-word names, our new guild is <Journey>

My guild's name is utter phail then. RoE never made sense. Even when explained that it meant Ravagers of Evolution, it still didn't make sense. The guild's name is lost in the mist of time (ie from EQ days) and hey, why fix something that isn't broken? *shrugs*

mero12513
12-03-2008, 08:55 AM
one of my good friends had a guild called <Chicks IRL>

I chuckled a little bit considering that everyone i knew in it was a guy. Possibly some of the BEST responses to the guild name ended up with people hitting on my guy friends in game.

I have a friend on my server who is GM of a guild called <Girls Gone WoW>. It actually is all female. The guild dissolved without much raiding due to a high level of drama. No further comment.

Krashtork
12-03-2008, 09:56 AM
Mero, you win. Subtle as a chainsaw murderer.

bulmoug
12-03-2008, 10:39 AM
Couple months ago there was a guy shouting in trade for sigs for <more HKs then Hilter> i had to just shake my head on that one.

Horacio
12-03-2008, 12:39 PM
<Lincoln Wiped on Opera>

Bad...I know.

My personal little guild is <Conspiracy Theory> because <Old School> was taken. I also have the <Azerothian Finance Company> and an alt in my friend's guild <Not Necassarily the Noobs> where the GMotD is "Naked girls taste like ice cream"

Kyoki
12-03-2008, 12:43 PM
My bank alt DK named LoveanTulips is in a guild called <team hold hands>.

Dagmarr
12-03-2008, 12:49 PM
I notice I haven't seen near as many all caps with spaces between the letters names (ie my mage's guild <H U N T E D>) At least on his server, they all seemed to be the raiding guilds. It was weird

TheBigApe
12-03-2008, 01:39 PM
hmm...

<Warcrackheads>
<Banzaii>
<Bushido>

are my guild bank/inactive guilds...

i am quite fond of <Warcrackheads>...

can't seem to find serious players to stay tho... oh well, back to being a packrat...

Caelize
12-16-2008, 05:48 AM
I like the latin thing to be honest, always very partial to the phrase Pactum Serva which translates basically to Agreed Service. Dunno if thats useful at are but just my 2 penny's

Dagmarr
12-16-2008, 11:07 AM
hmm...

<Warcrackheads>
<Banzaii>
<Bushido>

are my guild bank/inactive guilds...

i am quite fond of <Warcrackheads>...

can't seem to find serious players to stay tho... oh well, back to being a packrat...

<World of Warcrack> is a guild on my server. Saw <EXALTED WITH THE LADIES> last night in a battleground.

Wasshoi
12-19-2008, 05:38 AM
i preffer one word guildnames, simple and classy?
Something like <Red> <Rampage>......

or... <Innkeeper> might work.

Melenkurion
12-19-2008, 10:27 AM
<I Critted my Pants> I swear that exists.

Optimoos
12-19-2008, 10:31 AM
My bank and inactive alts sit in "Robots in Disguise"

kolben
12-19-2008, 11:42 AM
The thing about Latin guild names is that if they are more than one word, they are most likely a garbage translation, or wouldn't make any sense to someone who actually knew the language. Romantic format, so it's not "red car" but "car red", noun adjective. In short, you would sound like a conehead or maybe yoda at best.. probably. It's Friday and I have no attention span today...

I do however like the one word guild names, including the two dollar Latin ones.

<Stratagem>

That's a very cool guild name imo, one I'm tempted to rip off on my new server.

<Marooned on Mars>, and <Badge Vendor Heroes> are ones I like at the moment. In the mood for more light hearted ones that won't appeal only to LOLnewbs kids.

dirt
12-19-2008, 11:55 AM
I kind of like funny ones, they seem to stick with me.

How about:
<Epics R' Us>
<Raiding Yor Pantz>

Crommi
12-22-2008, 05:55 AM
I'm tempted to make a guild called <Happy Moments> for my alts.
It might mean a lot of things for other people, but for us it has quite different meaning. We don't have wipes, we just have happy moments, at least according to our raidleader. :)

Guild I'm in is called "Archaic Order" and for two years I've been wondering what it means before bothering to open dictionary.

Seamouse
12-31-2008, 07:08 PM
<WEST ORG MASSIVE>
my alts guild

my raiding guild is <shopping for trolleys>
personally dont like the guild name but were all RL friends

bondetamp
01-03-2009, 10:07 AM
My alt guild's called Bael Modan Mixed Choir, Bael Modan being a dwarf mine/settlement in Barrens. I was originally considering Bael Modan Avengers, but that sounded more like a PVP guild, imo.

I think that if you go for an obvious joke name, there should be something with it apart from the joke, something that could stay with you even as the joke stops being funny. Especially with the more offensive names. They need to have something about them that makes them worth the cringes.

Kaziganthi
01-08-2009, 10:58 PM
<Ominous Latin Name>

I lol'd the first time I seen this guild on our server.
I'm in Gnome Ravagers so the little things always swarm towards me.

Millet
01-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Once I was in guild <tough dudes don't cry> (dont ask how I got there) :D but I actually met very nice people in there, that I still play with after a year passed.

My current guild was created when I was not there and I don't know the story behind the name to be honest, but it was a 'sister' guild to <brotherhood of vengance> for all 70's who pvp alot, so I guess having no remorse was a requirement.

I always loved sooo much <Slayer of the Paladins>, but after the BC i do hope they do not have any paladins within their ranks! :D