PDA

View Full Version : Mark targets & CC assignments = tanks job?

deviationer
10-30-2008, 09:49 AM
I'm finding it a bit annoying that a fair amount of players think tanks magicly know all the pulls in 5mans/heroics/raids. I have enough to think about with tanking I don't need the added pressure of having to mark all targets and setup CC.

Maybe it's just that I think a little differently about what a role of a tank is. If you start the 5 man/heroic group, you are the leader, you mark the targets, you assign CC duties. Not the tank.

Kazeyonoma
10-30-2008, 09:51 AM
well, it's because you control the pull and you set the pace.

sometimes you know better than the cc'er who is the best candidate for a sheep, and likewise, some tanks don't even like to have things cc'd so they leave it to you, tanks kind of naturally fit into the role of being the leader because of the position of control you have to take just as tanking.

Most pugs after I join, pass me leader once we enter the instance, or I ask for it, because I normally know the place better anyways. Being the tank sometimes means knowing every pull and encounter, down to the cc targets, it's just part of the responsibility.

deviationer
10-30-2008, 09:59 AM
There is also the idea that, oh your are lvl 70 you know all the 5 mans then. Well no I don't, I don't like doing 5 mans over and over, nor heroics, I'd rather be raiding/farming G/working on professions.

For example, when I did 60-70, I mostly did quests, I wanted to enjoy the zones. The guild I was in at the time really needed me as a tank in kara, so as soon as I hit 70, got my kara key and quickly put together a entry level tanking set and started doing kara. To this day I have only done about half the BC 5 mans.

So when I tank for a guildies group (that has pugs in it), they all assume I know everything about the instance. Must be a BC thing because it wasn't this way pre-BC with 5 mans, at least not as much.

veneretio
10-30-2008, 10:04 AM
I'm finding it a bit annoying that a fair amount of players think tanks magicly know all the pulls in 5mans/heroics/raids. I have enough to think about with tanking I don't need the added pressure of having to mark all targets and setup CC.

Maybe it's just that I think a little differently about what a role of a tank is. If you start the 5 man/heroic group, you are the leader, you mark the targets, you assign CC duties. Not the tank.
Yup, I'm afraid this role often falls onto the tank. That being said, you should welcome this role not hate it. Yes, you don't get to be as laid back, but you learn way, way more. I know every pull in every instance in TBC. I know tons of T6+ DPSers and Healers that can't say the same and when they do these instance on their tank alts... it shows, big time.

There's nothing more valuable you can do in a run than marking targets and doing it yourself will ensure that you can consistently give your groups a good experience. Even the best tank in the world is going to look pretty average if that don't get to instinctively run an instance the same way.

So, I hate to break it to ya, but as a tank this is what you signed up for.

Gaereth
10-30-2008, 11:10 AM
Hell, if I wasn't pulling, marking targets, directing traffic, etc, etc, I would probably fall asleep.

The tank is generally the key to instances. He is the point of the spear, where the rubber meets the road, or whatever cliche you want to say. Others can do it...but when bad marking, bad pulling, and bad experiences happen in instances the grumbling will generally come back to, "If the tank didn't suck we would have been fine."

I prefer to eliminate the middle man and live or die by my own choices.

dirt
10-30-2008, 11:14 AM
So, I hate to break it to ya, but as a tank this is what you signed up for.

What Veneretio said is spot on. I'd say 99.9% of the time you are responsible for marking and assigning CC. That's what people expect, and I can say I've only had someone else mark a handful of times and that was mainly early on when I started tanking.

I can relate to where your coming from though, early on I was worried about marking the wrong things or CCing the wrong mobs. The sad truth is if you don't have confidence in the pulls, your group will pick up on it and usually chaos ensues. But all that said, we have alot of tools post-3.0 that can help us. I'd also say now is good time to run all the instances you may not have. One thing I do alot instances I'm not familiar with is flip out to the WoWiki and look at the mob types and get a idea of their abilities. If you not sure of the pulls, don't be afraid to ask others in your group. All though post-3.0 most groups want you to chain pull and speed through instances.

Edgar
10-30-2008, 11:19 AM
I like the marking, that way I can get it the way I want. If someone else would mark they would probably do it different than me and so it'd be not to my liking.

It's not that hard either. If I know the instances I can do it while running towards them, DPS gotta stay sharp and act fast.

Horacio
10-30-2008, 11:19 AM
Too the extent CC is necassary anymore, yeah, it falls on the tank. Its not 100% necassary but the role a tank accepts is not just to be a meatshield and damage soaker but a leader and field commander. Your tanking style and method as well as confidence directly determines what CC is necassary.

That said, I have tanked so long, my friends often pass me leader to mark targets....when I'm playing my mage or druid :/

Like Vene said, its a good feeling to be trusted by people. Yeah, others kinda have it easy but easy is boring.

Shortypop
10-30-2008, 11:23 AM
Regardless of whether things need to be marked nowadays, and I would argue for a new group of 70s marking would still be worthwhile, another of the tanks jobs is marking patrols, knowing which to pull and have an, at times, instinctive feeling for what will pull what else. The average dps'er or healer will have no idea where the patrols are, if they are doing their job they are a few feet behind the tank and are therefore not in the optimal place to see anyway.

Gongos
10-30-2008, 11:50 AM
I agree with Kaze. It is sort of your job to know each pull in the heroic you are doing. If you dont know the pulls you can sorta figure them out by checking a number of things.
1)What CC do you have in your party? mage(sheep), Warlock(shackle) Hunter (trap).....
2)then what type of mobs are in the pull. Demon, humanoid, undead.
this helps you to immediatle figure out how each mob can be handled.
3)another thing to look for is the Toughest/hardest hitting mob in the pull. this mob is the mob that you want to take down 1st. the longer that mob is up the harder it is for the healer to keep you up and to keep his mana up. (Dual weilding elites and somecasters ussually post the biggest threat, or mobs that give you a MS debuff)
with this information you can start the pull.
Tanking in general means you are the control player. ( you should want to be the control freak) You decide what happens, where the fight takes place, the kill order.

Widdox
10-30-2008, 11:55 AM
As a paladin I always marked mobs differently than my warrior friend. After running an instance together one time we got into a discussion on why we mark things the way we do.

At the time I generally got the casters CCd and went after the melee heavy hitters. I preferred this because of the way paladin midigation was at the time. He generally liked to kill the casters first because they were weaker and cc the hard hitters.

Each class / player has their own way of doing it. I joined a heroic mech one time where a mage was marking targets, and half way through he basically said he would never run with me again because I didn't know how to tank.

Unfortunately, he was marking targets in such a way that made it hard for me to keep agro on multiple targets. It was probably the best way for him to kill mobs, but it didn't work for me at all. Just my 2 cents.

Edgar
10-30-2008, 11:56 AM
I somewhat don't agree with your number 3, Gongos. Taking the hardest hitting mob down first. I think that one should be CCd as good as possible and you should nuke the mobs that can fear, heal or are just otherwise a danger for the group.

Also if you don't know the pulls look out for mobs that have mana. They might be casters and looking for LOS, just in case, might be a good idea before you whip out your gun.

Varagar
10-30-2008, 11:59 AM
Back when TBC launched my brother was the resident plate wearing tank and I was a Hunter. His ability to mark was severely impared by his lack of common sense, unwillingness to research practically anything about fights, and total lack of disregard for crowd control. He was a Prottard. He knows how to stand still, Holy Shield, Judge/Seal, and Concecrate. So with that, I took over marking and leading duties and never gave them up.

Now that I'm a Warrior, I relish in the role. But its a personal choice. If the original poster doesn't enjoy that aspect of the game, you shouldn't berate him because he should conform to your views of what the class entails. That said, as some have pointed out, it is "easier" if the tank does it because he/she is dictating the pace of the raid, and its a natural leadership position.

orlastud
10-30-2008, 12:14 PM
I think the reason that we are seen as the marker is 2 fold.

1) we are the ones who are setting the pace and determining what the dps should kill, so naturaly we should also be determining what we dont what killed at the moment. You also have to be aware of the whole group, just not yourself like a dpser.

2) I know this has happened to me, but when you have been tanking for awhile, (3 years for me) you develop "TANK-O-VISION" (engineering skill not required). You see the groupings of mobs and know which ones can be pulled safely, when they can be pulled, and how much cc you'll need.

Synapse
10-30-2008, 12:43 PM
Dpsers rely on threat to not be squished into red goop, they then rely on the tank to generate such threat. It's the tank who caps the pace of the run, and what goes down first. It's only natural that a tank(specially those who didn't start raiding right off the bat, like many ex-alts) is in control. Marking is just part of the bundle, and knowing everything about the instance is, by extension, part of tanking.

blahism
10-30-2008, 12:53 PM
I think marking is fun. Just remember, its OK to ask for help. Let them know your not the best and more often then not someone will help. Better yet JOIN A GUILD that RUNS DUNGEONS :)

i came late in the game so i was out geared, inexperienced and not knowledgeable in the ins and outs but if there is ANY time to learn, now is the time. With the nerfs and new talents i've been able to experience Kara, ZA, Gruuls, Mags and just about every heroics except MgT and i'm loving it. It was daunting at first but its really easy

My basic pug mark:

Square - Trap
Moon - Sap
Condom (circle) - CC be it another hunter, another rogue mind control or whatever
Skull - DPS/MT 1
X - Secondary DPS target

The reason YOU mark is because only YOU can set the pace and know where to plant the CC. YOu have to be aware of your surroundings, your healer and where the saps/traps go so YOU don't break them.

Like others have said, mark your targets according to your group. I like to either 100% cc healers first or 100% dps healers and cc the rest - depending on make of group. Just be aware of which ones are healers or which ones throw fears and handle them accordingly so you manage the pace and flow of your group. Last thing you want is to cc the easy ones and have the bad boys fear your team all over the dungeon aggro'ing everything around you and wiping.

With great power, comes great responsibility :)

Now in a Raid - i typically employ an experienced raid leader to do marking because the tank is usually positioning for next pull while raid leader describes the process, what each team will do and what is going down. It transfers from 10 to 25 man really easy this way. Just no reason fora raid leader in 5 man since its something small and not hard to do. The time you take to mark will allow your mana folks to eat/drink and mana up as well.

bludwork
10-30-2008, 01:03 PM
I have my 70 sunwell geared warrior, and 65 prot paladin. Everyone asks my "why do you have another tank". "roll ret" etc. The best time to learn how to tank is when you're leveling not after. It irks me when a tank has no idea how to do pulls because they never actually run the instance before.

Your job as a tank includes setting the pace, deciding what to kill first, which mobs need to be cc'ed how packs die depending on how well you can manage them as a tank. #1 tank job is control. If you aren't in control you're not a tank, just some bum carried along to get the attention in mobs.

Guilds that don't have tanks as officers tend to be have the worst tanks and the worst tank turnover because they are all zombies and get told what to do by a non-tank.

Sheed
10-30-2008, 01:21 PM
I've tanked for so long on my warrior, that when I run things on my hunter I tend to do the marking. With the new change to MD being a 30 sec CD, I do a lot of the pulling too.

My guild ran a Kara last week. I was on my hunter and we had a pally tanking. Half the raid was t5 dps, the other pre kara alts. I set the pace of the run by marking targets and MDing onto the tank. I did it subconsciensly because I was so used to doing it on my warrior. The tank yelled at me a few times because I didnt wait for him to mana up as I was chain pulling the next groups. :)

kolben
10-30-2008, 01:24 PM
Simple answer

Yes

Longer answer

I'm sure it varies some from server to server. I've been expected to mark targets and assign CC since Rage Fire Chasm, so in my experience it's something tanks take care of always.

Knowing the pulls, is also something I consider to be very much the tank's job. Again, I've heard that in some places hunters or whatever pull. That's not how I've ever worked with the lone exception of pulls where the aggro radius is longer than the range on shoot (which is essentially stuff like Naga packs in SSC).

Much will come with experience. I quite literally have every mob in every instance in TBC memorized at this point from the sheer number of times I've run those places.

Rude
10-30-2008, 01:35 PM
When you actually need to deal with CC, it's probably the best idea to have the tank doing it, since that's who is pulling. That's been said.

In my case, I'm perfectly okay with letting someone else mark, as long as they have some standard they're following and actually doing it.

Now that I'm just marking up things for kill order and to make it easier for me to keep track of in Forsaken Threat Meter, I'd honestly prefer that someone else do it. What I mark as the first kill target usually has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm actually going to charge into, so someone could just mark mobs randomly and it wouldn't really change how I do things.

Shagh
10-30-2008, 01:41 PM
I am a pretty new tank and have found that if I do not know the instance telling the group up front will often result in someone else requesting leadership to mark.

That being said, I like to lead where possible.

My favourite strat is to have the rogue sap left hand mob at will. Saves me fiddling round with an extra marker.

Currently as stated by others the need to CC is somewhat lessened so I have been doing much less. Personally I am a little concerned this may hurt my marking skills come Wrath.

Golmmaster
10-30-2008, 02:25 PM
Yes marking as a tank is something you will have to learn to do.

On my warrior I made alot of mistakes while marking pulls. But remember you are not alone in the dungeon so others will have more knowledge than you in the place. After a run or 2 you will know what type of mob that causes problem and what type that are easy.

as for CC I always make sure the mobs that causes problem are either CCed or First to kill.

In the time I was tanking pre patch and I always assign a caster be it a healer or mage mob to be killed by my DPSer while I was going after the big guys with alot of armor who only melees.

All in all for each tank their marks. Some may dissagree on how you mark things but hey you are the one who is going to endure the damage from all those mobs it is your job to get it done in the way that makes it easier for you!

Inaara
10-30-2008, 02:31 PM
Pace-setting and leadership roles aside, i agree with the OP to an extent. Whoever has the most experience in the group with the individual instance should be the ones marking the pulls. Expecting a fresh tank that has never done the instance before to be able to mark and pull everything with perfection is just silly.

That being said, while running the instance for your first time you as the tank SHOULD pay attention to the pulls and figure it out asap so that in future runs in the instance you are able to set the most efficient pace available while effectively tanking the mobs. I do not personally use CC and stopped using CC as soon as I knew my gear could handle the incoming damage(I'm a warrior and referring to pre-ezmodeaoetankinglawl).

My best advice is to wait until you're comfortable with the instances and to not be pressured by the other members in your group. Be honest and ask if there's someone in the group that is familiar with the instance and if they can mark the pulls.

ussnorway
10-30-2008, 11:24 PM

Agree with you there! its very bad form to just toss leader to the tank and expect him/her to make a pull work with what ever mix of people you happen to have invited along for the ride.

ussnorway
10-30-2008, 11:37 PM
1)What CC do you have in your party? mage(sheep), Warlock(shackle) Hunter (trap).....

sorry but Priest (shackle undead) & warlocks (banish Demons)

Worldie
10-31-2008, 02:03 AM
Banish is actually one of the arguably "best" CC since it cannot be broken, so you can happily spam AoE close to mobs.

orcstar
10-31-2008, 03:21 AM
I'm beginning to use less and less marking.
That's not because I multitank everything but I expect players to think for themselves.

At the start of a run I just state what I expect from players. The number of different mobs in a dungeon is often very limited so what I do is that I say:"I expect this and that mob to be sapped, sheep those type of mobs and kill the darn imp first even if it hasn't got a mark. Then I just put a skull on the main nuke target.
Also I tell less and less what I'm doing. Line of Sight pull? Just learn not to do a thing if the tank is running past you.

Synapse
10-31-2008, 03:58 AM
Pace-setting and leadership roles aside, i agree with the OP to an extent. Whoever has the most experience in the group with the individual instance should be the ones marking the pulls. Expecting a fresh tank that has never done the instance before to be able to mark and pull everything with perfection is just silly.

Even that is questionable, given knowing an instance a a dpser or healer tells you nothing about the instance as a tank. A very good example is shadow labyrinth. I absolutely love doing it on my warlock, rogue or mage, but I hate doing that place's trash on my pally, while I hate doing SH on my rogue, and love it on my pally/mage/lock. The feeling is completely different.

If you're learning an instance and the group is fine with that, it's not a bad idea to ask whoever knows the place what the mob does.

Another good idea is to check teh wiki, It's saved my ass on many a first pull.

ussnorway
10-31-2008, 04:13 AM
I'm beginning to use less and less marking.
That's not because I multitank everything but I expect players to think for themselves.

At the start of a run I just state what I expect from players. The number of different mobs in a dungeon is often very limited so what I do is that I say:"I expect this and that mob to be sapped, sheep those type of mobs and kill the darn imp first even if it hasn't got a mark. Then I just put a skull on the main nuke target.
Also I tell less and less what I'm doing. Line of Sight pull? Just learn not to do a thing if the tank is running past you.
Thatís all well and good with a group of your friends / guild-mates but in a P>U>G situation your just stacking up a repair bill.

Synapse
10-31-2008, 04:32 AM
Just.. get used to it anyway. GC's words in the tanking forum are cryptic in that, while threat won't be the zomgissue that it is today, it'll still be there, AND We'll desire CC because it's that or dieing.

robbon
10-31-2008, 04:34 AM
I kinda fell in to the raid leading role as i was the tank....

it starts in the 5 mans as your up front...in the leading position...

By the time your 70 most tanks are used to it and are actually not bad at it..i have seen some excellent raid leaders who are tanks and i consider myself to be ok at it.

Its another string to your bow if you can lead as there are not that many tank spots in guilds you sometimes need that added value. Also if you are raiding you can sometimes get first dibs on items ...who is going to argue with the raid leader ?

On a side issue..marking can be a pain and depending on the group and how many times you have run the instance you may not need to mark at all.....i know that if our core 10 players go to za..we dont bother marking as we all know the primary targets and cc. That said in vent or TS you can simply say..take left, take right, nuke boss... etc.

I would be interested however if any of you raid leaders have an easy way for fast marking targets with icons ?? im still pointing mouse, right click image, raid icon..moon..etc..

is there a faster way ?

ussnorway
10-31-2008, 05:01 AM
Raid icon macros work best if you know the name of the target
EG.
I made this macro for tanking Kaelthas Sunstrider (http://www.wowhead.com/?npc=19622), In order to help me keep track of changing targets during this fight.

/target [button:1] lord sanguinar; cosmic infuser
/5 Nibbit is on the {X}
/script if (GetRaidTargetIndex("target")~=7) then SetRaidTargetIcon("target", 7); end

Line 1: When I click this macro it will target the lord when I left click or the mace if i right click
Line 2: just spams X in the tank chan{5 for me} (I will prob remove this)
Line 3: puts a raid icon (1-8, were 7=X) on my current target
Note: line 3 only works in a group were i have assist or am leader but does not break the macro if i'm not.

Synapse
10-31-2008, 05:20 AM
I bound each raid icon to a different numpad key, so it goes from skull to star, 1 to 8.

tuffmuffin
10-31-2008, 05:22 AM
I would be interested however if any of you raid leaders have an easy way for fast marking targets with icons ?? im still pointing mouse, right click image, raid icon..moon..etc..

is there a faster way ?

You can set key bindings to set raid icons

bondetamp
10-31-2008, 06:00 AM
I also bound the raid icons to my num pad. As you can bind to keys to a function, I also had | (key next to 1) bound to skull so I can mark it really fast without moving my hands too far.

loquatious
10-31-2008, 07:15 AM
A plug for Tanks marking in raids. I'm usually on the skull target so once my mob drops I'm often the most expendible member of the raid so i'll scoot ahead and start marking up the next group as the last one is being killed. Better me than a healer/dps.

/agree with what everyone else said, if as a tank you dont know the trash packs and how to manage them you probably wont be as effective a tank as you could be.

Gwailo
10-31-2008, 07:17 AM
Baud Mark.

That's how I do it, works damn well too and I've tried all of the tricks.

veneretio
10-31-2008, 07:21 AM

is there a faster way ?
Marking Targets made Simple - Warriors - TankingTips.com (http://www.tankingtips.com/2008/05/23/marking-targets-made-simple/)

orcstar
10-31-2008, 07:52 AM
Thatís all well and good with a group of your friends / guild-mates but in a P>U>G situation your just stacking up a repair bill.
That's not my experience. I do pickup groups A LOT and it takes about 2 packs to see if it works out ok or not. Sometimes it's indeed too much to ask but often it'll bring some more qualities to the surface in your dps. More fun for them also because implicitly you're giving them trust and people like that.

Ofcourse you have the odd group where this doesn't work, but in general it does. If it doesn't you'll notice soon enough and you can revert easily to standard markup where each and every mob is marked.

kolben
10-31-2008, 09:45 AM
Marking is just confusing for your group if they have no idea what you mean by using a star on a mob. Take 3 seconds and explain it.

I also don't recommend over marking. If it doesn't matter if a mob dies in the AOE, or dead last then don't mark it.

I am picky about CC'ing or killing two kinds of mobs as the priority. Mobs that can make you lose control via some effect like seduce, mind control, scatter shot, etc. and mobs that heal/bubble/shield. More often than not the dangerous mobs in a pack are casters or shooters; obviously some exceptions to that.

Squashed
10-31-2008, 12:41 PM
I like to mark pulls for every character I have, regardless of the class. I pug most of the time, and they are usually insanely slow to do their tasks.

I begin marking targets before the current pull is even done...I hate waiting.

Gongos
10-31-2008, 12:48 PM
I somewhat don't agree with your number 3, Gongos. Taking the hardest hitting mob down first. I think that one should be CCd as good as possible and you should nuke the mobs that can fear, heal or are just otherwise a danger for the group.

Also if you don't know the pulls look out for mobs that have mana. They might be casters and looking for LOS, just in case, might be a good idea before you whip out your gun.

Well in general you always want to kill a mob that is a healer 1st.
i like to get the biggest threat out of the way first because you start the fight at full health and mana which imo is generally the best time to tackle a more deadly mob. (not when you have already gone through a few mobs and your healer/ dps might be low on mana)
just my opinion tho.

Gongos
10-31-2008, 12:54 PM
I like to mark pulls for every character I have, regardless of the class. I pug most of the time, and they are usually insanely slow to do their tasks.

I begin marking targets before the current pull is even done...I hate waiting.

Thats basically the best way to do it.
Now that Maul hits 2 targets(w/ Glyph) and swipe hits any number of targets in front of me and does more dmg(specd) i havent been marking anything in heroics. pull or charge in and maul swipe swipe maul. aggro is never lost. all mobs go down in w/e kill order the dps decides; which is fast considering the new talents and everything.

Shadevarr
10-31-2008, 01:31 PM
pre-patch, I'd mark absolutely everything. It has become very instinctive and even on new pulls I kinda see how the pull itself will play out. I do have a /p pulling now! attached to my shoot/throw macro so that when I am in a pug they can stop whatever distracting thing they are doing and focus for half a minute.

I agree with everyone else, it is a control thing. As a tank we are expected to take only as much as the healer can heal through and keep aggro on the rest, marking allows us the level of control needed to match these expectations.

Gongos
10-31-2008, 01:37 PM
pre-patch, I'd mark absolutely everything. It has become very instinctive and even on new pulls I kinda see how the pull itself will play out. I do have a /p pulling now! attached to my shoot/throw macro so that when I am in a pug they can stop whatever distracting thing they are doing and focus for half a minute.

I agree with everyone else, it is a control thing. As a tank we are expected to take only as much as the healer can heal through and keep aggro on the rest, marking allows us the level of control needed to match these expectations.

Pre-Patch i marked almost everything as well. i never marked the last to die target tho. "unmarked kill last"

Arcand
10-31-2008, 03:26 PM

I'm sure that could be made to work, but as the person responsible for managing the overall threat situation it seems to me the tank is the natural choice for the marker job. If you're marking, and the group's following your marks, you should never get the situation where you're building threat on A and everyone else is killing B.

Other minor benefits which add up:

If you're marking and pulling, you eliminate the 'pull before the marks were properly finished' problem.

As the tank, you're in close where you can see all the bad guys' health bars simultaneously. That puts you in a good position to tweak the kill order for max efficiency. (Ranged are almost always close enough to see them...)

I have all eight marks bound to keys under my left hand, which I've found very helpful, and I have skull bound to Shift-W which I find extremely helpful. Groups are totally happy to just burn one skull after another, especially if you make reasonable decisions about kill order and designate target n+1 a few seconds before target n dies.

Edit: I hadn't realized this is my first-ever post. Hi, TankSpot!

PvtCaboose
10-31-2008, 03:50 PM
Unless its a place I've never been (crypts I've only been twice) I much prefer to mark. Pre patch I used to run instances fast enough... Now I run them without stopping. I know most of the instances pretty well and never have a problem being leader in any instace. But, in RL I'm the same way aswell. Always, taking the initative myslef.

Rude
10-31-2008, 03:51 PM
I used to have 1, 2, 3, Ctrl 1, 2, 3 for marking. But I would change the marks around based on what CC I had in the group and started to get confused about which button was which anymore.

I'm using this for marking and daily quest items: OPie ∑ Home (http://www.go-hero.net/opie/)

Naaven
10-31-2008, 07:08 PM
About a month ago, I decided I was tired of marking. Since I'm not in an active raiding guild, I run a LOT of heroics - like a couple each day almost every day. When I got invited to a group, I'd say, "Sure I'll tank Heroic XYZ, but only if you mark." Every time, the person would say, np, and invite shortly after. This lasted literally two days before I realized 95% of the time I was taking over marking duties a couple minutes into the instance since whoever was marking ended up marking wrong (trapping casters, leaving healers un-cc'd but not first on kill order, etc).

I use the mod KTI (Krom Target Icons (http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/krom-target-icons.aspx)) for marking. It's a REALLY easy one-click marker, which makes it easy to mark on the fly (gotta take your hand off the mouse if you're using the number pad for those extra mobs the rogue keeps adding, which for me is bad juju).

Also, to the guys who are not marking kill order now since everything dies relatively quickly anyway, just remember that focusing fire will kill everything just that little bit faster, since you're liable to get at least a few sunders thrown out there on your primary target, in between TC/SW/etc. Not that it makes THAT much difference, but if you really wanna speed-run stuff, those few extra seconds add up. :)

ussnorway
10-31-2008, 07:28 PM
Last updated 2 years agoÖ is there a more current version?

Naaven
11-01-2008, 05:22 PM
Last updated 2 years agoÖ is there a more current version?Actually I believe that's the current edition. It's a pretty simple, straightforward mod, not really much to change or update.

blahism
11-03-2008, 09:36 AM
My guild ran a Kara last week. I was on my hunter and we had a pally tanking. Half the raid was t5 dps, the other pre kara alts. I set the pace of the run by marking targets and MDing onto the tank. I did it subconsciensly because I was so used to doing it on my warrior. The tank yelled at me a few times because I didnt wait for him to mana up as I was chain pulling the next groups. :)

honestly, that is rather annoying hehe

Let MT chain pull... don't be a huntard just cuz you can :)

Gongos
11-04-2008, 08:13 AM
ha, i remember playing before marks came out. Like back in Dire Maul. youd have to type out the kill order or get on vent for pugs. it took longer that for sure.