PDA

View Full Version : Red Alert 3 or Fallout 3?

Ciderhelm
10-30-2008, 02:03 AM
Keeping in mind Wrath's launch date and an already fairly limited amount of play time, which should I go with for the immediate future?

Taelas
10-30-2008, 02:13 AM
Fallout 3 would be my choice, mainly because I'm a Fallout fanboy and I want to know how much they screwed it up.

Ciderhelm
10-30-2008, 02:35 AM
Steam made the decision easy. I purchased X-Com recently from them and thought they had an agreement w/ EA so I checked their site out again. It looks like that doesn't include RA3 yet... but Fallout 3 is right there. Will see how it is soon!

Sunderhorn
10-30-2008, 02:53 AM
The original X-com? That's some epic stuff right there. Terror from the Deep was cool, too. Went downhill from there, unfortunately.

Ciderhelm
10-30-2008, 02:54 AM
The original X-com? That's some epic stuff right there. Terror from the Deep was cool, too. Went downhill from there, unfortunately.
Original X-Com was so incredible. Still is today. The problem I've had recently came from trying to run it on Vista 64-bit. Whatever version Steam has is coded to work on it, though, so I bought it again. :)

Ciderhelm
10-30-2008, 06:15 AM
Fallout 3 so far is good. I'm at the first town beyond the intro. I'm not sure whether I like the UI or not yet... it's definitely thematic, but so much screen space is wasted. That's minor.

Lore
10-30-2008, 06:46 AM
Everything I've heard about Fallout 3 so far is that "It's not Fallout, but it's very good."

I'll be picking it up soon myself, so we'll see.

Vash
10-30-2008, 06:51 AM
Mmm my brother played and completed Fallout 3 recently. I liked the look of it, especially the perk that made people explode when you killed them. One thing that irritated me was how poorly peoples faces looked, it was sort of alleviated by the fact that most people had helmets on, but it would have been nice for them to look better then the drunken doodling of a deranged mind.^^

Kazeyonoma
10-30-2008, 08:10 AM
sound slike i'll pick it up tonight or tomorrow O_o.

Kazeyonoma
10-30-2008, 08:10 AM
Fallout that is =x

Thgil
10-30-2008, 10:31 AM
Fallout 3 is fairly awsome. Im loving it, I have it on the 360, and im willing to bet its better on the PC... provided your PC doesnt suck like mine.

Either way, I have been a long time fallout fan, I got to say, they didnt botch it up really. It doesnt feel like fallout 2 exactly, more like oblivian, but the world is genuine and a good continuation to the series (once you get over the fact it is a different publisher... and not 12 years old).

Of course, aside from feeling like oblivian, it also suffers the same faults, which I tend to forgive, just like I did for oblivian. Minor graphical flaws and occasional hallarious AI querks subtract a tad bit.

also, stop talking about X-com! It makes me want to play it and shut out my midterms. (sad that I still obsess about a 15 year old game).

Turkson
10-30-2008, 02:09 PM
Terror from the Deep was cool, too.

If by "cool" you mean hellishly difficult, then yes. There was no learning curve on that game, there was a learning cliff.

Ciderhelm
10-30-2008, 03:19 PM
If by "cool" you mean hellishly difficult, then yes. There was no learning curve on that game, there was a learning cliff.
Did you play X-Com the original before it? I never got into Terror from the Deep. I have it, though. I'm curious if it's difficult to start with if you fully understand the predecessor.

Caulle
10-30-2008, 04:34 PM
Fallout 3!!! If you played Oblivion, you'd love this. Same studio that made it, very similar feel to the game play except futuristic.

Turkson
10-30-2008, 06:36 PM
Did you play X-Com the original before it? I never got into Terror from the Deep. I have it, though. I'm curious if it's difficult to start with if you fully understand the predecessor.

I did, and if you have a solid understanding of XCOM, you'll do fine in Terror from the Deep. It is harder than the original, mostly because the weapons work differently. No more "Research Heavy Plasma = iwin button."

However, to the new players. Prepare to have your soul crushed. On Easy mode.

I'm too scared to try it on Superhuman.