PDA

View Full Version : What A Guild Should Be, by Awesomelanzer

Einlanzer
10-28-2008, 01:46 PM
Here's something I typed up while I was bored for my Realm Forums.

---

Many of you know me, through having raided or PVPed with me over the years, and I'm sure the first things that come to your mind are:

A. Probably gay
B. If not gay, at least sexually confused
C. If not fully gay, more than likely gay for Tom Cruise exclusively

But, today is not the day to discuss these issues (C is the best choice, btw). No, today, as WotLK nears, I'd like to put the idea out there of what a guild should be. With the new expansion, there will inevitably be an onslaught of new guilds as we level and near end game raiding, and with that onslaught, there will be many bad guilds made, and many bad guilds, that currently exist, that will continue to do so. Guilds full of loot whores, insulting elitists, insulting elitists that are bad at the game, and crushed raiders who just want a fair shot at seeing some content, run rampant through our current guild structures. I would like to throw this idea out there, and you can take from it what you like.

Being in a guild that everyone involved can enjoy should be our first and utmost priority when starting that charter. To do so, you need to start off with a few foundational attributes:

Good leadership:
No guild will be an enjoyable experience if the leadership is off track. Immature, insulting, egotistical guild leaders, and officers, will instantly destroy any sense of community you could hope to achieve. As a leader, in any facet of life, it is your job to embody the values and goals you want your "followers" to aspire to. If you are a douche, guess what, your guild will be full of douches. If you treat your guildies with respect, and actually care for them as humans and not just as some pixels on a screen that are "getting in your way", you'll reap the rewards.

We have to remember that once we logout, nothing we just did in game matters. When you walk away from your computer, nothing in life has changed because of the game of Warcraft. You're not a better person, you're not more accomplished, you don't have any more skill than you had before, you've just spent your free time on a hobby. That's it. The only, ONLY thing that lasts from a game like this is the friendships you make, and the effect you had on the players that play it. That's it. And that's where you need to work your hardest as a leader, you can't have blinders on, focusing solely on "Winning" and downing bosses, because you'll lose track of what really matters. I can tell you, the friends I made in this game, I will remember for the rest of my life. My Top Gun guildies are what I would consider some of my best friends, and I'll remember them long after I forget about killing Nefarion, Vashj, or any other boss I may have defeated along the way.

People have enough to deal with in their everyday lives to come home and have some douche in a video game tell them what they think of them. It's just not worth it. They spend all day with some 50 year old, overweight, balding egotist telling them why they are worthless to the company because they misfiled a form, or left spot TA-49B blank on that accounting paperwork, they don't need to come home and have some disgruntled voice come through their speakers, telling them they're everything they aren't simply because they missed a phase change, or stood in the fire for a second too long, or maybe had something in real life that distracted them for 10 seconds. They need to come home from that boring, redundant crap we all have to deal with and come into a sector in life that makes them forget about all that and have fun with people that care about them.

Kids are getting hazed and ridiculed in school, they feel left out and uncared for, and they come home and maybe even their family treats them poorly, and then they log on to WoW to release some of that stress and tension, and you think you have the right to insult them even further? If you're the type of person that does this, just know that you are the lowest of the low, and you don't deserve anything more than that position allows.

(Also, to quell any false impression you might get, I'm 25 years old, I'm successful in my career without a douche boss, and my family is incredible.)

Creating an atmosphere of respect and caring around you is the only thing you can do in this game to make people's lives better, or to create lasting friendships that transcend gaming.

Vision:

Know what the goal of the guild is, and make that clear to those that join the guild. Things like "We plan on doing Kara, and Battlegrounds, and eventually Sunwell!" probably aren't the most effective way to express your guild's intentions. Don't make a PVP guild and expect everyone to get all hyped up to run Naxx, because you'll be going against the grain of what made your guild attractive in the first place.

Solid group of core players:

Don't be disappointed if you have a small guild with aspirations of "making it big". Focus on building the best 5 man team you can, and expand slowly, and you'll find a much better bond between your guildmates. I've been in plenty of "Flavor of the month" guilds, and they just never feel right, because they formed too quickly, losing out on those early moments where guild and guildie respect and trust really forms. Also, when guildies join and see that friendship between those core players, they instantly feel at ease with the guild, and will be more relaxed and ready to progress with less drama than if they were to join a hastily formed guild.

Stern, anti drama rules:

Drama not only destroys guilds, it destroys friendships as well, and that's the most troubling aspect. Take a stance against drama early and often. Don't allow people to insult each other over petty, irrelevant things (One could argue everything in WoW is petty and irrelevant, but we can take that on another time) and put forth the effort to show that you, as the guild leader, or you, as the officers, won't tolerate it, and even more importantly, won't participate in it. Calling someone a "retard" because they couldn't keep up on heals, or lost aggro on a mob, or pulled aggro on a mob, is about the most immature recourse I can possibly conceive in that scenario. Try this example:

Bad Guild Leader/Officer : Hey, why do you suck so bad at healing/tanking/DPSing? If I could just clone myself 25 times and run this instance myself, I would, but unfortunately I have to put up with people like you. When I think about how awesome I think I am, I get an erection. I'm going to kick you from the raid, and possibly from the guild, for making a fairly common mistake, or even thinking about not taking this life or death seriously.

Good Guild Leader/Officer:

/ra A mistake was made, we're moving on. Run back, buff up, let's do this again.
/w Someguy "Phase 2 is a little tricky, watch out for that aggro shift" or "Tank 2 is taking extra damage, be sure to pull that window out and watch him extra carefully" or "Lag sucks, I know, just let me know if it's getting a little unbearable over there"

See, it doesn't, take any more effort on the leaders part to address the situation in a mature, "leaderly" manner. If you don't see the problem with the Bad example, then you don't deserve the position you're in in your guild, and your guild members certainly don't deserve to have you as a leader.

Summary:

Don't be a douche. Treat people in this game like, and I can't believe I have to point this out, like it's a game. A game that's supposed to be fun, between friends, with a common goal, and that want to have something in their life they can actually enjoy without someone shoving them in a cubicle and calling them insignificant. Make WoW fun for everyone, and just remember that your epics don't mean anything once you close World of Warcraft, but the friendships and effect you have on others will last the rest of your lives.

Narshe
10-29-2008, 12:45 AM
Very good text. I hope all guild leaders read this and apply it wherever they fail :P