PDA

View Full Version : WoW Reaches 11 Million Players

Bloodwraith
10-28-2008, 11:02 AM
Wow

Anticipation continues to mount for Wrath of the Lich King® expansion as Blizzard Entertainment®’s massively multiplayer online role-playing game reaches new milestone

IRVINE, Calif. - October 28, 2008 - Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. announced today that the subscribership for World of Warcraft®, its award-winning massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG), now exceeds 11 million players worldwide. This milestone was reached as the beta test for Wrath of the Lich King®, World of Warcraft's second expansion, nears completion. Wrath of the Lich King will launch in several regions around the world starting on November 13.

"It's been very rewarding to see gamers around the world continue to show such strong support for World of Warcraft," said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment®. “We remain fully committed to responding to that enthusiasm with a high-quality, constantly evolving game experience.

Since debuting in North America on November 23, 2004, World of Warcraft has become the most popular MMORPG around the world. It was the bestselling PC game of 2005 and 2006 worldwide, and finished behind only World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade®, the first expansion pack for the game, in 2007.* In addition to being the bestselling PC game of 2007 in both North America and Europe, The Burning Crusade holds the record for fastest-selling PC game of all time, with nearly 2.4 million copies sold in its first 24 hours of availability and approximately 3.5 million in its first month.

World of Warcraft was recently launched in Russia and Latin America, and is currently available in eight languages. In addition to North America and Europe, the game is played in mainland China, Korea, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Chile, Argentina, and the regions of Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau.

To keep pace with the continued growth of World of Warcraft as well as development on other Blizzard Entertainment games, the company is currently hiring for numerous open positions. More information on available career opportunities at Blizzard Entertainment can be found at Blizzard Entertainment - Employment Opportunities (http://www.blizzard.com/jobs).

For further information on World of Warcraft, The Burning Crusade, and Wrath of the Lich King, please visit the official website at Wrath of the Lich King In Stores 11.13.08 (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com).

World of Warcraft's Subscriber Definition
World of Warcraft subscribers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access. Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days are also counted as subscribers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired prepaid cards. Subscribers in licensees' territories are defined along the same rules.

About Blizzard Entertainment, Inc.
Best known for blockbuster hits including World of Warcraft® and the Warcraft®, StarCraft®, and Diablo® series, Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. (Blizzard Entertainment (http://www.blizzard.com)), a division of Activision Blizzard (NASDAQ: ATVI), is a premier developer and publisher of entertainment software renowned for creating some of the industry's most critically acclaimed games. Blizzard Entertainment's track record includes ten #1-selling games and multiple Game of the Year awards. The company's online-gaming service, Battle.net®, is one of the largest in the world, with millions of active users.

Tatt
10-28-2008, 11:04 AM
11,000,000 x 15 bucks a month.....plus 11,000,000 x 57 bucks for xpac.....

Ghreystar
10-28-2008, 11:06 AM
wtb [server upgrade]

Coro
10-28-2008, 11:08 AM
= where all the money from the economic crash went to

Krenian
10-28-2008, 11:08 AM
Man, I just want a small piece of that pie in the amount they make and I think I'd be set for life.

Let's not forget that not only does Wrath come out, but they're now going to push on Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3. o.O

Coro
10-28-2008, 11:10 AM
Starcraft 2 in what, 6 months? Diablo 3 in a year? WoW Expansion a year and a half?

Yeah, blizz is set for life =P

Kazeyonoma
10-28-2008, 11:20 AM
and yet they pay their GM's in irvine (not the devs, the in game response people) around minimum wage.

lol, someone's swimming in money like Uncle Scrooge in Duck Tales.

Hrm, I wonder if they have any technical positions... I do live close by...

Tatt
10-28-2008, 11:22 AM
The more important question Kaz, is do they have cake? :p

Kazeyonoma
10-28-2008, 11:29 AM
they're across the street from an asian bakery.

lots of cake.

Tatt
10-28-2008, 11:30 AM
Lol win!!!!!!

Genova
10-28-2008, 01:42 PM
And not to mention that im sure they are behind the gold selling in someway or another. lol

Edgar
10-28-2008, 11:30 PM
Are that 11 million active accounts or is that 11 million accounts that may be inactive / banned now + the active ones.

Sanelora
10-29-2008, 06:09 AM
Thats like, 1/2 of Australia's population playing a game. Not many people in comparison with the world when you think about it. But HUGE in the game market.

Temig
10-29-2008, 08:55 AM
Just to give you an idea....

Top TV Ratings | Nielsen Media Research (http://www.nielsenmedia.com/nc/portal/site/Public/menuitem.43afce2fac27e890311ba0a347a062a0/?vgnextoid=9e4df9669fa14010VgnVCM100000880a260aRCR D)

The viewers column is in millions and counts everyone over the age of 2. I'd call 11 million pretty good. Especially compared to:

Top TV Ratings | Nielsen Media Research (http://www.nielsenmedia.com/nc/portal/site/Public/menuitem.43afce2fac27e890311ba0a347a062a0/?show=%2FFilters%2FPublic%2Ftop_tv_ratings%2Fcable _tv&selOneIndex=1&vgnextoid=9e4df9669fa14010VgnVCM100000880a260aRCRD )

Presidential Debates... 9 million. lawl.

Thgil
10-29-2008, 10:11 AM
I wonder how much money they have to spend in overhead per person... 15 bucks a month isnt all profit, plus, most people do by 6 month subscription which eats it down to some 12 bucks or so...

Oh well...

My guess is about 1 or 2 bucks a month per person on overhead costs.