Horacio
10-23-2008, 09:33 AM
http://www.swtor.com

discuss

klor
10-23-2008, 09:35 AM
All I have to say is...

YES!!!!!

Bye bye all the other video game addictions...hello Kotor MMO. I personally love this star wars era as opposed to any of the rest...cannot wait for that game to go live. -signs up for BETA now-

klor
10-23-2008, 09:37 AM
Uuuggghhh... EA games is touching this game with Bioware? There goes that...this game just got corrupt and is going to suck. Bioware ftw...EA ftl

Tatt
10-23-2008, 09:39 AM
Is this the game that Cider was hinting about with RA Salvatore and Todd McFarlane collaborating on? I remember Salvatore wrote a star wars series book, never read it, by the time it was out his writing had gone to hell.

Horacio
10-23-2008, 09:48 AM
No, Salvatore and McFarlane...I believe....are working on a game with....Curt Schilling. Yeah, that Curt Schilling, as in the former Phillies, Red Sox, Dbacks, etc pitcher who is a hardcore gamer and being a star player in professional sports, has a big bankroll.

I read about it some but forget the details. Google around a little bit.

But that project is not star Wars based and is completely different from this.

Edit: 38 Studios - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/38_Studios)
BAM! I deliver!

Edit 2: I am a huge baseball fan and a big Schill fan so I will definitely be following this. McFarlane is talented, that's for sure. I'm lukewarm on Salvatore, tbh but we'll see. Beyond the wiki page, I read an interview with Schill stating that thus far there has been no need of outside investment which, if you think about issues that seem to plague recent MMOs, is a good thing. Being a top notch pro athlete with a long, successful career means you are a very, very wealthy individual.

Tatt
10-23-2008, 09:53 AM
I think I read somewhere that Schilling used to raid between innings or while he was warming up or some crap, always thought it was bogus but who knows.

Temig
10-23-2008, 10:00 AM
He played EQ and loved it. He plays WoW (and, last I saw, has a hunter with some amazing gear choices). He's created a game studio to create an MMO with two other big names.

Oh, and let's not forget what he did for the Sox =P

On Topic: I, sadly, will likely pick this up ><

Lore
10-23-2008, 10:35 AM
Yeah, 38 studios is working on who knows what else.

Also, Salvatore is awesome.

And swtor.com is ugly as hell.

Lore
10-23-2008, 10:42 AM
From the FAQ:

Will I see any characters from Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic?

Given that it is approximately 300 years since the events of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, many of the characters have passed away. However, their legacy does live on as many of their descendants will be part of Star Wars: The Old Republic. Some droids can last a long time as well.

Bolded for emphasis.

HK-47 inc.

Horacio
10-23-2008, 10:47 AM
Well.....

I always have been a big Star Wars fan and while its cliche and campy at times, its a brilliant universe. When I first bought Wow, I held it and SWG in my hands at Best Buy and ultimately decided I wanted to give Wow a go. Glad I did. Mind, you this was 2005 and I had no clue at all what MMOs were all about.

I tried LOTRO....decent game but meh, I still liked Wow better. Alot of us tried Age of Fail and we all know how that went. Too close to WAR and its just too similar in theme and environment (sword/sorcery-Orcs/Dwarves/Elves) though I'm sure someone will come up and say 'NO WAI, WAR is AWESOME, RvR is where its at! EleventyBBQ!!@121222

I played KOTOR 1 and 2. I never finished 2, I didn't like it that much but 1, which was made by Bioware, was absolutely awesome.

So yeah....I am certainly interesed in TOR. I have faith in BioWare and if they screw it up, Austin is an hour drive north and I'll go bust heads. My brother in law works up there and is in the indusrty (computer animation and graphics design) so he will likely have some inside infos for me.

Its going to be a ways off anyhow so I still have alot of time to enjoy and burnout on Wow.

My mission for this weekend is to go out and get Mass Effect and give it a go.

Horacio
10-23-2008, 10:48 AM
From the FAQ:

Bolded for emphasis.

HK-47 inc.

Lol, that dude was creepy as hell.

Lore
10-23-2008, 10:52 AM
Reading through a tentonhammer interview...

One thing that we don't want to have happen in our game is the situation where you get a bunch of players together to beat up one guy. That's just not very heroic and it's something that we don't want to have happen in our game. We're looking for much more heroic battles where you're the group that's outnumbered. If you think about the movies, the heroes are the ones that are heroic because they're fighting against the odds.

This is fantastic. One of my few peeves in WoW (and most MMOs) is the "get 24 of your friends together to go attack one guy" style of group play. I'd much rather be the badass chopping through a legion of enemies than one grunt in the legion trying to take down the badass.

There's some other stuff in the interview if anyone's interested, it's here: Exclusive SWTOR Design Q&A - Lightsabers, The Force, and Space Combat | Ten Ton Hammer (http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/47132)

Warwench
10-23-2008, 10:55 AM
yeah curt played EQ2 aswell, in fact he took several of the Eq2 designers over to 38 Studios.. very exited to see what they are working on.

As for this new starwars MMO where everyone is a Jedi ..uhh.. dont we already HAVe one of those? i know its KOTOR based blah blah blah but for the love of god I hope it's better than post CU SWG. The amount of "screwed up" they managed to cram in that game in the last few years is scary.

differnt designers/publishers etc etc.. but please god.. let them do better than what SWG turned into (early pre CU SWG was fun as hell).

and NO, I repeat NO FREAKING TWITCH BASED SPACE COMBAT !@!!

Tatt
10-23-2008, 11:04 AM
Correction Lore....Salvatore WAS awesome......his dark elf trilogy was what made me become a fantasy reader, but IMO he has not written anything of that caliber in nearly a decade :(

Lilie
10-23-2008, 11:34 AM
count me in on The Old Republic.

Taelas
10-23-2008, 11:39 AM
I will be following this religiously.

If they make this right... I will be forced to invent technology that splits me into two so I can play both WoW and TOR at the same time.

... or I might even drop WoW. 0_o

Krenian
10-23-2008, 12:01 PM
S'gonna be an interesting concept. I love BioWare's work..but EA is touchin this and I dislike them. Immensely. This is going to be a conflict theory cause I swore off EA games a long time ago...dunno, they tend to screw up more often than not anything they really have a chance to play with. I hold my reservations but nothing says awesome than a jedi dual wielding lightsabers killing a whole bunch of droids coming atcha lol

Horacio
10-23-2008, 12:25 PM
I like what Lore said. I enjoy the hell out of soloing old content, taking on the badasses instead of being a piece of the machine. This does not at all preclude teamwork and complex raid scenarios, in fact, it opens up a huge new world of content design.

Question: What is the most talked about 'best' Wow encounter? Wow 1.x Four Horsemen. Four mobs, not just one. This is, however, pushing that envelope.

Frankly, its far too early and there is far too little information to get real excited about but I will be following it closely. There is alot of anxiety from many quarters over this game to be sure. The Bioware forums are heavily slanted against it but this being thier first major MMO, most of those posters are religious single player RPG fans feeling screwed that thier beloved franchise has been turned over to the unwashed masses equivalent to the tradechat leetspeaking trolls in Wow and cesspit communities of Age of Fail.

They have alot of challenges to balance out. How to balance the factions, how to make non Jedi/Sith classes appealing, how much content is 'on rails' and how much is 'sandbox', instancing, crafting, and the list goes on.

Both this and Studio 38's game are definitely on my radar. I hope at least one of them offers a viable alternative to Wow because it will at least push Blizzard to continue to improve. I'm ready for a new game experience but I have not been able to find it and I'm not ready to side step to another sword and sorcery fantasy world.

At any rate, this will give people alot to talk about for quite some time. Bioware/EA/LA are about as strong as you can get for the scope of the project, personal taste with those companies aside.

Horacio
10-24-2008, 07:44 AM
So, as stated, while this game is a year + off, I'm excited and I intend to keep up with it. I made an account on the official forums late last night and bumped around a little bit and I was a little discouraged. It was VERY reminicient of the AoC forums leading up to the release of that game and while we can quibble over the quality of certain aspects of the game, I think its pretty widely accepted that outside a few pockets of sanity like <Eventide>, the AoC community was a cesspit.

Yes, there are already "multi game" guilds recruiting for 'hardcore PK-PvP' and such. The whiners are out in force and and the trolls and fanbois have already launched opening salvos in what will be a protracted conflict.

None of this really has too much impact on the game. I sincerely hope that there are either differing ruleset servers or that PvP is limited. Anyone who was mercilessly ganked while in a dialogue screen with an NPC then camped in AoC knows this. Ok, some don't but IMO, getting your juice off ruining other players experience puts you in a vocal minority.

Anyhow, still excited about this game. Looking forward to more information.