PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Pulling Guide

Ciderhelm
10-20-2008, 03:21 PM
TS_Pulling.wmv - FileFront.com@@AMEPARAM@@http://static2.filefront.com/ffv6/player/vp_embed.swf?v=817064@@AMEPARAM@@static2.filefront .com/ffv6/player/vp_embed.swf?v=817064

Correction: On the first pull, I say "my party's right back here" when I'm nearing Charge range. In practice, my party would normally be right at the LOS break, and I'm running behind them, then charging once the mobs are nearly in range of the party.

Krashtork
10-20-2008, 03:36 PM
Good guide. I'm sure it will benefit newer tanks, or tanks who are just beginning to explore 3.0 abilities, a great deal.

I hope to see more of these type of videos!

Ghladum
10-20-2008, 03:46 PM
I consider myself a pretty awesome tank - but I didn't know you could TClap mid-charge... that's pretty awesome. I always thought that Charge/Intercept worked fundamentally like a teleport, and the speed-run to the target was graphical only. One of the main reasons I thought this was that in PvP or arenas where two warriors charge or intercept each other simultaneously, usually the screen lags for a second, and then you wind up at your destination (where the other warrior was a moment ago), stunned.

But - very cool, and it's always good to point out TClap before Shockwave. I've found myself so in love with Shockwave that I often forget to check to see if TClap is available before hitting SW. I just need to hear that powerful earth-rending sound and see the explosions... NOW, ya know? :)

Shadevarr
10-20-2008, 03:51 PM
Already doing this and I gotta say it absolutely awesome. Popping shield block right after the TC helps hastening the aoe threat building. I am just training my dps to wait for the 2nd TC before going all out on AoE.

Halgreg
10-20-2008, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the video! Laying out these basics via video is so much clearer than written descriptions, particularly when trying to explain to party members how pulls are going to happen.

orcstar
10-20-2008, 04:32 PM
Thanks cider, especially about the charging the back mob and a 180 after. So logical I forgot. I will use that a lot.

Warwench
10-20-2008, 04:35 PM
very nice :)

I disagree on the glyphs though.. i can't do without Glyph of Sunder Armor... Devastate now applies sunder to 2 mobs. Revenge is a no brainer, but I couldn't see myseld trading our Sunder for Charge. Minor Glyph sure.

Great movie though :)

Edgar
10-20-2008, 04:36 PM
Holy crab. You jump around more than I do and I thought I jump a lot.

Good video.

Armstrong
10-20-2008, 04:38 PM
WTB less jumping.

Nicely done otherwise. ;)

Ciderhelm
10-20-2008, 04:41 PM
Talking makes me jumpy.

robp85
10-20-2008, 04:53 PM
Great video. I'm a new tank myself and I'm trying to learn different tricks. This was really helpful to me.

Kwake
10-20-2008, 05:03 PM
Nice little tutorial. I was actually thinking of making something like this earlier. "Pulling" is one of those things that separates the good from the bad.

Fayre
10-20-2008, 06:07 PM
Hadn't thought about using LoS after Shockwave. That's given me some new tricks to try, thanks.

DeAtey
10-20-2008, 06:16 PM
aight dude thanks so much I stopped playing about 4 months ago and coming back and the tanking is a lot different now geez personally before the changes I never found any problems except dps being idiots and dpsing stuff that wasn't main target in aoe pulls but thanks so much ur tatics are sure to help me. sry long post

Warspirit
10-20-2008, 06:24 PM
Curious, what mod are you using that's telling you when to revenge, when SB is up, SW, etc.? I generally don't use combat text mods, but that may be handy.

Shagh
10-20-2008, 06:41 PM
Great video.

Ditto on the less jumping.

EfemaN
10-20-2008, 07:44 PM
Once again, great addition.

Any chance you could post the mods, macros, and gear setup you use. I really like your UI (clean with functionality), I've been looking for more macros to use, and I'm very curious to know your gear combination(you always log off in your epeen gear it seems;)).

Sascaroth
10-20-2008, 08:55 PM
Great Jumping
:P

senataur
10-20-2008, 09:18 PM
Thanks for your effort Cider. I value your info and as always some great stuff....but..

I nearly had an epileptic fit trying to watch this vid. The jumping around was too painful to watch. Please remember that people watching the vid do not have the same view as you do in game. It is grainly and lower resolution. Colour contrast is less and requires people to squint and try to make out the faint details, especially in this particularly dark instance.

Suggestions for your next:
Stop infront of the pack you are about to pull. Hands of keyboard. Describe the pack. Describe the pull. Go over your actions. Then when ready. Execute and give your example. Perhaps even mark the pack to highlight who's melle, who's caster etc.

You may even want to type out your thoughts first. You might find a structure for your comments. Fit it into a logical framework. To be honest i think most of what i gained from this vid was done by infering the rest from your first couple comments as i couldnt bear to pay attention through the rest.

huggy77
10-20-2008, 09:47 PM
love the multimedia on the site.... I want to try the targeting that back mob and charge....
i love warbringer for zipping around... I try and use it on every cd too with the casters... charge in silence and by the time the melee mobs catch you one of your aoe cooldowns is up....

bludwork
10-20-2008, 10:04 PM
general comment on the 3rd pull since it's the most common. when you charge a mixed melee/caster grp like that you want to charge to the casters first. Melee mobs will proximity aggro and run to you which makes them easier to build aggro on with tclap/damage shield.

Caster mobs will proximity aggro too but will healer aggro if the tank isn't paying attention; normally a problem with new tanks.

Punchingbag
10-20-2008, 10:05 PM
Talking makes me jumpy.

I guess. LOL

Aspect of the Pogo

bosephus
10-20-2008, 11:19 PM
Nice summary of pulling techniques. I also went with both of the charge glyphs. The application of sunder on other targets isn't as useful generally, I think. That's what thunderclap and shockwave are for. It's just like using the Boar's Speed enchant; you could have stamina or slightly better trash tanking ability (that's all the Sunder glyph is good for), but once you start to value mobility, you can't get enough of it. The combination of the two charge glyphs, plus the thunderclap glyph and proper timing of shockwave makes tanking the skeletons dropping from felmyst quite a joy. As you said, Warbringer has value as another cast interrupt and reducing the cooldown on it makes it worth more.

Machus
10-21-2008, 01:20 AM
Spell reflect surely! I either Bloodrage and reflect before the pull or it's my first action after charging somewhere like MgT.

Crysiss
10-21-2008, 05:15 AM
Once again, great addition.

Any chance you could post the mods, macros, and gear setup you use. I really like your UI (clean with functionality), I've been looking for more macros to use, and I'm very curious to know your gear combination(you always log off in your epeen gear it seems;)).

Indeed, I trolled the forums and did not see yours..Very clean and fuctional

Ciderhelm
10-21-2008, 05:24 AM
I'll see if I can get a UI post of my own going soon for those interested. :)

kolben
10-21-2008, 05:49 AM
Nice video and nice UI.

Wanted to add, that I somtimes have placed a party member at the corner so I can Warbringer -> TC -> Shockwave -> Intervene to zip back to my party. Not necessary, but fun :)

Also, I skip all that trash on my runs for the Baron mount because of the Cadaver Worms :) Sure you know that though. GL on getting your mount, hope to have one soon myself.

Lavache
10-21-2008, 05:52 AM
Talking makes me jumpy.

you need to install JumpCounter (http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/jump-counter.aspx). it may be the greatest addon ive ever gotten.

Ciderhelm
10-21-2008, 05:56 AM
you need to install JumpCounter (http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/jump-counter.aspx). it may be the greatest addon ive ever gotten.
Done!

Dreadski
10-21-2008, 05:59 AM
I consider myself a pretty awesome tank - but I didn't know you could TClap mid-charge... that's pretty awesome. I always thought that Charge/Intercept worked fundamentally like a teleport, and the speed-run to the target was graphical only. One of the main reasons I thought this was that in PvP or arenas where two warriors charge or intercept each other simultaneously, usually the screen lags for a second, and then you wind up at your destination (where the other warrior was a moment ago), stunned.

But - very cool, and it's always good to point out TClap before Shockwave. I've found myself so in love with Shockwave that I often forget to check to see if TClap is available before hitting SW. I just need to hear that powerful earth-rending sound and see the explosions... NOW, ya know? :)

One of the things I learned early on in heroics is when a target is pulled off you by a ranged DPS, you can hit intervene to get to them and taunt on the way by as you pass the mob.

Cider, this is a great video, and really helps nail in the fundamentals I read in Fortifications back in the day. Plus I was in strat the other day :D

Thunderbrew
10-21-2008, 06:22 AM
As the above poster asked, which mod(s) are you using to see when the cooldowns are up on things like shield slam, revenge, etc.

Someone mentioned you going for the baron mount. I just broke 80 solo clears of strath, and still no sign of the mount hehe.

Catlick
10-21-2008, 06:47 AM
Awesome vido

not sure if i should ask this here or make a new topic but ill try my luck :)
I am looking into making wow movies myself a bit more aswell
anyone got some resource sites to help out a bit
using fraps atm and its fine it seems, jsut having a hard time with video editing program.

Especialy when it comes down to publishing them in nice quality and keeping the file at a somewhat normal size

any helpis preciated

Daavos
10-21-2008, 06:58 AM
Cider, what's the UI/bar mod you're using?

I'm still using the default one and i'm getting tired of it.

Zelgius
10-21-2008, 07:08 AM
Holy tons of buttons batman!

Ludy
10-21-2008, 07:18 AM
Nice video Cider. First post here although been coming here awhile. 1 suggestion if I might. Incorporate intervene into the pull. For instance the pull where you charge, TC, and Shockwave I've been intervening back to a member of my party to get out quicker.

Another option if you have a group that if you charge you'll aggro a group near them is to bow pull them. Then you intervene back to a member in your party allowing the group to run towards you a bit. When they get to where you want them warbringer back in TC, and shockwave.

manicus
10-21-2008, 07:23 AM

Would be nice, especially for making the cooldowns pop up... I really need that for snb.

calr0x
10-21-2008, 07:24 AM
Shockwave that early is a mistake. An AoE stun means you get no threat while DPS are unloading... Means you have to hold off AoE and give time to build aggro and thats stupid.

Shoot > Backup and charge > Shield Block > Tclap > Cleave cleave til SB is gone THEN Shockwave. You guys aren't even mentioning Shieldblocks AoE threat benefits... >_<

mero12513
10-21-2008, 07:29 AM
Shockwave that early is a mistake. An AoE stun means you get no threat while DPS are unloading... Means you have to hold off AoE and give time to build aggro and thats stupid.

Shoot > Backup and charge > Shield Block > Tclap > Cleave cleave til SB is gone THEN Shockwave. You guys aren't even mentioning Shieldblocks AoE threat benefits... >_<

The benefits of a damage shield with Shield block for 4 seconds are less than that of a Shockwave. Shockwave, wait until they're not stunned anymore, then hit SB. This will (usually) allow you to Shockwave again before the end of the pull and contribute more threat and damage overall.

Rude
10-21-2008, 07:32 AM
I disagree on the glyphs though.. i can't do without Glyph of Sunder Armor... Devastate now applies sunder to 2 mobs.

Let's assume that you're not using Glyph of Sunder Armor for secondary target threat because you would be using Thunder Clap and Shockwave for that. The obvious question is, "How often is Devastate coming up in your rotation?"

With Revenge dealing out huge damage for next to no rage, giving you a free Heroic Strike, as well as possibly proccing Sword and Board, it's the next highest priority when Shield Slam is on cooldown. So your Devastate is really only going to reasonably fall in when Revenge and Shield Slam are both on cooldown. That alone is reason enough to look at something else, and that's why Wrath will bring Glyph of Devastate to the table to compensate for it.

Aside from that, it's a sketchy glyph that either only has a point-blank range, or just doesn't work properly. Heroic Strike seems to be there for a rage problem that doesn't really exist at the moment, at least for me. And that just leaves Cleaving or Rapid Charge for the moment.

Darksend
10-21-2008, 07:33 AM

yea exactly what mero said, its not like shield block is active when you shockwave, you wait till the mobs arent stunned anymore. then go right into another TC as soon as its sup. if single target DPS isnt stupid aoe can start any time after the SW

btw cider awesome work, i to agree that i do not trust pug healers, ive ran with so many badly geared healers that im hitting wall and stand every pull simply because they do not have the spellpower on their gear to keep me alive. kinda puts a damper on my whole speedpulling experienece, but at least you sold me on glyph of charge, that and my lvl 100 inscriptor just learned minor glyph of charge O.o

calr0x
10-21-2008, 07:36 AM
Unfortunately with the stun on opener you aren't generating as much rage. There's no way shockwave on open is better than sb and cleaving til sb is over.. You just won't have as much rage...

Rude
10-21-2008, 07:41 AM
There's no way shockwave on open is better than sb and cleaving til sb is over..

Unless your dps pulls aggro from AOEing everything as a result. Then it clearly would have been the better choice. Bloodrage and Charge, then pop Berserker Rage when they come out of the stun.

mero12513
10-21-2008, 07:45 AM
Unfortunately with the stun on opener you aren't generating as much rage. There's no way shockwave on open is better than sb and cleaving til sb is over.. You just won't have as much rage...

I'm sorry but this simply isn't true. Bloodrage + Charge is something like 25 rage by itself, and you get a great deal of rage from your first white hit or 2, given the increase in AP we've seen. The mobs are going to hit you at least a couple of times as you charge in and position them for a shockwave. I've been pulling this way and I never run out of rage.

etakerns
10-21-2008, 07:46 AM
Is it me or does every1 sound a bit whiney?????

Darksend
10-21-2008, 07:49 AM

but you are not stunning as an opener, you charge with bloodrage, thats a ton of rage right there, you get your white hits, you TC, so thats already a global of being hit before you shockwave, it takes a second or to to make sure everything is lined up right and will be hit with shockwave, you are looking at about 3 seconds into the pull before you shockwave, and when shockwave ends TC will be back up, TC as soon as the cooldown is over and shield block as soon as the stun is over, i dont even use zerker rage and i am never rage starved.

etakerns
10-21-2008, 07:49 AM
Also the Heroic throw , what is that all about, is it something we get when we hit 80, is it what we'll be using to start pulls,,,would like some1 who has used it to detail it?

Rude
10-21-2008, 07:50 AM
Heroic Throw - Spell - World of Warcraft (http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?spell=57755)

Darksend
10-21-2008, 07:51 AM
Also the Heroic throw , what is that all about, is it something we get when we hit 80, is it what we'll be using to start pulls,,,would like some1 who has used it to detail it?

look at gag order also

yes it is a new ability we get in wrath for pulling, it hits for about 500 or so in tanking gear, this TG warrior crit a rat for 4K with it was kinda amusing in this naxx stream.

its basically so you do not have to carry ammo around anymore if you are not using a throwing weapon

mero12513
10-21-2008, 07:56 AM
Heroic Throw - Spell - World of Warcraft (http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?spell=57755)

One thing I don't really get about Heroic Throw is why it needs a 1 minute CD. Obviously it should have some form of CD so we don't start seeing warriors as ranged dps (although that would be both hilarious and awesome), but something like 20 seconds would make it available every pull without question, and I don't really see the downside. Perhaps it's a pvp concern? Any thoughts welcome...

kaanman36
10-21-2008, 08:02 AM
Thanks Cider for the pulling vid! I have been a long time Pally tank and am just now trying out warrior tanking. I found this video extremely helpful in learning the different pulling options a warrior tank has at their disposal.

Boondockst
10-21-2008, 08:19 AM
Looked pretty good, but you were starting to ramble a bit.... and the jumping drove me crazy.
On a different note, @ people looking for a mod to let them know when something procs: I use power aura. I used to use it mostly for PVP, but w/ warbringer and SnB, it helps me manage my CD's a lil bit more effectively.

Rude
10-21-2008, 08:32 AM
One thing I don't really get about Heroic Throw is why it needs a 1 minute CD.

Because you'll start using it in the middle of fights as a caster interrupt with Gag Order - Spell - World of Warcraft (http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?spell=12958) .

mero12513
10-21-2008, 08:34 AM
Because you'll start using it in the middle of fights as a caster interrupt with Gag Order - Spell - World of Warcraft (http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?spell=12958) .

Seems reasonable. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a glyph that lowers the CD by a little bit at least.

thegreenscar
10-21-2008, 09:07 AM
I would also like to know what your UI/Addons are, that text thing for your cooldowns looks cool as hell

Stegho
10-21-2008, 09:07 AM
I really can't see glyphing for charge when the synergy between Glyph of Revenge, Glyph of Heroic Strike, and the Incite talent is so OP right now.

Lore
10-21-2008, 09:35 AM
I just wanted to drop in and say Cider, every time you pull like this, I hate you a little bit more.

Kazeyonoma
10-21-2008, 09:40 AM
Holy tons of buttons batman!
Cider has maybe half the buttons I do...

Torpeedo
10-21-2008, 09:45 AM
Here's a version of Ciderhelm's video with stuff added. Not sure if I got the rotation right?
Overlay.TV - http://service.twistage.com/videos/620955e1227f8/assets/307582/file.flv (http://www.overlay.tv/overlay/4292)

Zelgius
10-21-2008, 10:07 AM
Yikes. I was able to remove more buttons than I had to add in 3.0.

I'd hate to see your pre 3.0 interface >.<

I have 24 buttons with 1 of them as my mount macro lol.

Kazeyonoma
10-21-2008, 10:10 AM
Yikes. I was able to remove more buttons than I had to add in 3.0.

I'd hate to see your pre 3.0 interface >.<

I have 24 buttons with 1 of them as my mount macro lol.

Ask and yee shall receive!
http://www.tankspot.com/photoplog/images/488/1_2500SBV.jpg

mero12513
10-21-2008, 10:27 AM
I really can't see glyphing for charge when the synergy between Glyph of Revenge, Glyph of Heroic Strike, and the Incite talent is so OP right now.

It's only OP if you aren't already hitting heroic strike on every or nearly every swing. Currently, I go through most boss fights without needing single white hit, so the glyph of Heroic Strike wouldn't help at all. Now I do get white hits, but only because I accidentally missed my heroic strike key, not because I didn't have rage for it.

Zelgius
10-21-2008, 11:15 AM
My god... almost half of those buttons have no business being there! LOL

Just kidding, I guess it really is a matter of opinion. But I really don't see the need to have stuff like trade skills, first aid, mining all on that bar. For those things I really don't have a problem opening my spell book.

Zelgius
10-21-2008, 11:15 AM
I actually don't even have stances on my bar anymore. As a raid tank I never swap stances cept for inside my intercept macro.

Kazeyonoma
10-21-2008, 01:35 PM
yeh i pvp probably more than I tank, so I need to have a lot of buttons there, but I agree that I could probably get rid of 1 bar by removing the tradeskills and stuff, i just like the options and i see enough of my screen so I don't see why not =P

Stegho
10-21-2008, 11:32 PM
Why the bar hate? I never understood it.

I have bars of macros in addition to all my abilities. I like being able to glance at my CD's so as to avoid spamming keys.

mwaf
10-21-2008, 11:38 PM
Hadn't thought about using LoS after Shockwave. That's given me some new tricks to try, thanks.

Ditto. Will be adding the mid-charge thunderclap to my tricks as well.

Thanks for the informative video!

ElfTheHunter
10-22-2008, 04:49 AM
So now, by mouse mobility? Do you mean you do not use wasd at all? So you run, back up, strafe all on mouse?! How exactly does that work?

Ciderhelm
10-22-2008, 04:51 AM
So now, by mouse mobility? Do you mean you do not use wasd at all? So you run, back up, strafe all on mouse?! How exactly does that work?
I use WASD all the time. My mouse is my primary means of control and steering, though. That's the difference. :)

Sirq
10-22-2008, 04:55 AM
Sethekk halls is great for learning how to; LoS
and Shattered halls is great for learning how to; AE tank
Allthough this is now alot easier, taking 2 healers, an arms warrior and a boomkin will make you go incredibly fast through every instance.
After each raid I take ma favy fav arms warr n boomkin and 2 healers where-ever i can get em, and rush some instances, like going to the daily hc and taking all hc's surrounding it. Putting on some good music like Skindred from Xav's UK Speedrun, will make, me atleast, go a bit more mental on rushing through the instance ^_^

ElfTheHunter
10-22-2008, 04:56 AM
Oh ok :) whew - I all of the sudden had a much different view of everyone other wow player

Spiike
10-22-2008, 02:29 PM
dont worry cider... jumpy talkin jumpers represent! /comfort

SmallDog
10-25-2008, 02:24 PM

Nice guide, Cider. I'd love to see a list of your addons, I like the clean look.

Strahan
10-26-2008, 01:54 PM
Although I am just leveling my tank, this video really motivated me. I am looking forward to try out these abilities. Cider could you please post your UI info? addons etc... it's really nice and clean. Thanks.

Mornak
10-26-2008, 03:58 PM
OK, I'll bite, what's the trick to mouse turning? How?

Diablo4372
11-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Silly Question here but is this video on You Tube or anything like that FileFont Hates me so much I can never watch a video on that but YouTube plays just fine while im at work... I would really love to see this Video before i have to go home. Home is play time Work= Study time.

Thanks So much

Ciderhelm
11-07-2008, 10:56 AM
I'll start putting movies up to YouTube as well.

Diablo4372
11-07-2008, 11:10 AM
That would be awesome Cider you are the Best!!! Its because of people like you that I wanted to Roll a tank after so many failed attempts at rolling alts.

Ciderhelm
12-02-2008, 05:07 AM
Per request I've moved this to the Marmot forums. I'll start adding more structure to these forums as soon as I can. Thanks!

Dirtysteve
12-02-2008, 05:20 AM
WTB Tankadin Pulling guide and not just *Throws Avengers Shield, Hides behind a wall.* Lore should get on this Immediately, I feel under represented.

Landuil
12-02-2008, 10:23 AM
When doing the final pull cider explained if I'm with PUGs I pop Shield Block to mitigate damage.

thinktank
12-03-2008, 02:35 PM
I like to wait until I see folks dps or heal before I pop my shockwave so I can get as much out of Damage Shield as I can before I stun them. Also, for the last technique where you charge through a pack of mobs, if there are casters in the pack, I love popping spell reflect either before or after the TC. It usually reflects against all of the casters simultaneously which gives me a great head start on threat with the casters who may have been out of range of my TC.

scaasi
12-08-2008, 07:19 AM
This is great clip cept for the jumping around. I've been tanking for nearly over a year and I discovered the charge + tc by accident last week sometime but i really couldn't see and effective way to use. After seeing that vid i feel like a massive idiot. Its just plain awesome.

Anyway I'm not gonna sit here and debate what glyphs people are using because really its each to his own. You mentioned in your movie that when u pug u have low confidence in ur healer; its actually, for zero confidence in the dps.

I love to aoe tank because personally i like to move fast thru instancesI prefer dps to use aoe because move of them are incapable of following a kill order. My first question really is my tanking alright or is every goddamn dps that play this game retarded? I'm leaning towards the later but just incase its me heres how my usual pull rotation works.

bloodrage
battle shout
Charge
TC
move mobs into position for shockwave maximum affect
SW
praying to jesus that yet another hunter isn't dropping aoe
demo shout
cleave
TC
sunder (using glyph of sunder)

Now my second question is there a way (besides using SB) to maximize my threat output or do i have to pull the heads in of my dps? or is there a way that i can force dps to drop their damage until i'm ready

Landuil
12-09-2008, 07:56 AM
Your right Dps now is incapable of common cognitive thought so you really have to make sure you round up everything. I use Charge, TC, back up then Shockwave too gather all the mob and not let the Dps pull one off, then spam devastate and with my glyph of sunder it pulls the mob in nicely. Just overall though unless you know the Dps expect nothing and pray lol

Grulgor
12-12-2008, 06:56 AM
Like the video Ciderhelm :) Never considered charging the rear mob before to make the DPS play catch up. My fave part about the shockwave LoS is that will be fantastic in PuGs but I could see some 'Leet' people not liking that approach in favour of reckless speed.

Anyway a thought just occured to me for added mobility. I love my Glyph of Sunder Armor so I don't think I'll replace it for rapid charge ( surely the glyph helps a lot with group tanking no matter how good the TC+shockwave effect is). However, on me holy palla I use 'clique' a lot for heals which uses both clicking on the character and the portraits mainly for healing. BUT I could use this for intervene when somebody aggros my mobs. It always seemed complicated to use/remember you had it but this would make it trivial. Anyone tried that out?

panzerfaust
12-15-2008, 09:36 AM
Good guide. I'm sure it will benefit newer tanks, or tanks who are just beginning to explore 3.0 abilities, a great deal.

I hope to see more of these type of videos!

What is even cooler than a mid charge T-clap is a Mid charge taunt. :)
It's hella cool to hear your healer that decided to pre-load a HoT on you moan over vent then see the target that was going to eat him snap turn and come to chew on your face cause you taunted him whilst zooming past into the meat of a group of unfriendlies.

Griff
12-15-2008, 09:45 AM
Cool video but that last pull, had some issues. You charged the rear mob, that's fine if they are all melee - there were two casters though and your healer would have pulled heal aggro and one of those two (surely you would have spell reflected one for a bit of threat in a heroic) would have been lighting your healer up. Sure, you have a taunt for the second mob, but until you can apply more threat, that's a solution of limited effectiveness if you can't continue to build aggro.

Ciderhelm
12-15-2008, 09:52 AM
Cool video but that last pull, had some issues. You charged the rear mob, that's fine if they are all melee - there were two casters though and your healer would have pulled heal aggro and one of those two (surely you would have spell reflected one for a bit of threat in a heroic) would have been lighting your healer up. Sure, you have a taunt for the second mob, but until you can apply more threat, that's a solution of limited effectiveness if you can't continue to build aggro.
Heroic Throw, Taunt/Spell Reflect covers two mobs, not one. Also, moving mobs to a caster is not difficult.

Separate of that, I was not dividing the group up between casters and melee mobs. Sure, it would have been better to charge the caster, but then, it was level 60 Stratholme and I clicked Record before meticulously planning exactly which mobs perform what roles. ;)

Sorrax
12-22-2008, 12:05 AM
This is very awesome guide. I Play Hunter atm, but making a Warrior for future tanking. I had a druid before in TBC but now when Wrath comed up, i decided to make a warrior as Tanking instead of the Druid, plus i hate going healing or DPS if the guild require that.

Thanks Again!

Great site!

JesicaAlba
01-07-2009, 01:37 AM
Had never used the keep group LOS, charge in, Tc, Shockwave, then while stunned run back. Great move

emy
01-12-2009, 08:58 AM
hi, great video and great help, what add-on do you have?

Rognvaldr
01-23-2009, 12:09 PM
Shame on all who didn't know about TC mid charge! I found that using Glyph of Cleave and spamming that right off builds a nice amount of threat but leaves me rage starved (from my dps build), so i'm always starting with a charge for the extra rage.

I also use the glyph of Devistate and glyph of sunder so i can tab through and just put 2-4 sunders up on multiple mobs asap after a SW. I'm well geared however and I try to do all heroics in under 40 min. All the above helps so the group can AoE as much as possible.

Razorex
03-10-2009, 07:26 AM
I really liked this video. It definitely helped me out a lot.

shakz143
04-27-2009, 06:11 PM
Im new in tanking!! For my past char is both DPS (Mage/Shaman). Good thing I saw this site and this thread and the video. Thanks Tankspot. I just had one question. Is it good the both learn Protection talent and Fury Talent tree? I mean about 80% talent points for Prot and the rest to fury. Is it good in raid?

Myramensgone
04-29-2009, 07:22 PM
Umm... I can't view the video any thoughts?

As7ig
05-19-2009, 07:53 AM
what tanking mod are you using that tels you when your shockwave, revenge etc., is up? this will definitely help in keeping track of the cds

OrlynSWK
05-19-2009, 10:46 AM
Mixing LOS pulls and Charge pulls are easy to get down once you have learned the mechanics. Yet there is one pull in Heroic VH that I am going nuts over i want it clean. Everytank knows that pull. (three mobs run left 2 run right) I can almost get it as a clean pull. But with out a Hunter with misdrect i find myself still chasing after one group or the other. I'd like to see a vid showing a split pull to help me as it seems these are becoming a trend in WoW.

Neopite
06-01-2009, 04:18 AM
I kinda liked your videos on TS.com, though this video is unavailable.:(
Any chance to get it from somewhere?

Thanks!

Dudefest
06-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Yeah would love to see this but where can I find the vid?

wotaru
06-05-2009, 11:45 PM
Mixing LOS pulls and Charge pulls are easy to get down once you have learned the mechanics. Yet there is one pull in Heroic VH that I am going nuts over i want it clean. Everytank knows that pull. (three mobs run left 2 run right) I can almost get it as a clean pull. But with out a Hunter with misdrect i find myself still chasing after one group or the other. I'd like to see a vid showing a split pull to help me as it seems these are becoming a trend in WoW.
Hi there. I know the pull you're talking about and I had to ask a mentor tank for advice. The trick is to wait at the bottom, use Heroic Throw and Taunt on each for the group of 2 and charge the group of 3. Hopefully your group knows not to pull aggro off the 2 coming at you. When they're close, Thunder Clap and Demo Shout and start AoE tanking.

Hope that helps!

Trondhjem
06-06-2009, 03:09 AM
video down?

Rawtorp
06-07-2009, 09:31 AM
Wondering why the video is down. Would realy like to have a look at it and see if there are tricks that i am missing. Looking at things from a new set of eyes is helpful to anyone

Neopite
06-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Hi there. I know the pull you're talking about and I had to ask a mentor tank for advice. The trick is to wait at the bottom, use Heroic Throw and Taunt on each for the group of 2 and charge the group of 3. Hopefully your group knows not to pull aggro off the 2 coming at you. When they're close, Thunder Clap and Demo Shout and start AoE tanking.

Hope that helps!

My tactic is to stand down. Charge + TC on one of the group, and immediately target swap and intervene the party member who gained aggro/closest to the other group. Than shield slam + revenge and they are on me easily.

wotaru
06-09-2009, 03:18 AM
My tactic is to stand down. Charge + TC on one of the group, and immediately target swap and intervene the party member who gained aggro/closest to the other group. Than shield slam + revenge and they are on me easily.

Wow! That sounds even more uber. I gotta try that next time. Nothing says 'WARRIOR TANK!' than zooming around! I'm still working on getting comfortable with fully taking advantage of intervene.

Eyva
06-12-2009, 01:42 PM
I have seen a few posts above this about this video being unavailable. I have also been getting the same message today. Like the others, I would also like to view the video.

Lamseben
06-16-2009, 04:26 AM
Have seen alot of your movies and I love how you explain everything in detail. I would also really like to see this movie. It hasn't been working for me since I visited Tankspot for the first time.

Can you please fix the link?

Midnightoil
06-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Wondering why the video is down. Would realy like to have a look at it and see if there are tricks that i am missing. Looking at things from a new set of eyes is helpful to anyone

The Video has been down for quite a few days now. I too an looking forward to seeing it. It does not appear to be on Youtube either. Any ETA to it being reposted?

Krenian
06-17-2009, 11:44 AM
The video is currently down and the higher ups will look into it shortly, thank you for your patience.

Pyow
06-30-2009, 04:30 PM
/bump for link fixage.

I'm a 75 prot warrior on my second character (first is an 80 shadow priest), leveled at prot all the way, and loving it.

As I approach 80 with a set of parapets in the bank, a cloak, a shotgun, and more enchanting mats and gems than I can shake a stick at, I find my aoe threat to still be an issue.

I've been doing a lot of instances with my 80 mage buddy, and I'm hoping that a lot of the problem lies in the fact that he and his assorted 25 Uld/Maly/Naxx gear are simply too much for me and my quest reward blues and Riot Shield. I'm almost always able to hold agro on a single target in Gundrak and OK, but AoE pulls are tough.

That was a long-winded way to say: please fix this link so I can pwn faces. Thanks!

-Pyow

Jiminimonka
07-03-2009, 05:55 AM
Any news on the video being recovered, still missing?

Schwarma
07-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Bump for info! All the videos I have seen have been very helpful and this would help me out a TON!

Ciderhelm
07-07-2009, 11:10 PM
Couple things:

1. Link broke a while back. I'm not sure if it had to do with Filefront's service or maybe I missed an auto-delete warning.

2. The movie is too long for YouTube, and re-rendering it to two separate movies may drop it's quality substantially. I'll try it.

Aggromatic
07-07-2009, 11:20 PM
I'm not sure but I think there is something wrong with FileFront to begin with, I was trying to watch one of Caulle's guides on FileFront the other day and the download link was broken. So I tried downloading in High Resolution, everything looked fine FileFront showed that the movie was 2xx MB as said in his thread. I download it to find out it's 43 MB movie, so I'm like 'the hell?' I play it after it's done it turns out to be a demo in a FPS of someone hacking.

Schwarma
07-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Couple things:

1. Link broke a while back. I'm not sure if it had to do with Filefront's service or maybe I missed an auto-delete warning.

2. The movie is too long for YouTube, and re-rendering it to two separate movies may drop it's quality substantially. I'll try it.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Neopite
07-14-2009, 04:17 PM
/bump for link fixage.

I'm a 75 prot warrior on my second character (first is an 80 shadow priest), leveled at prot all the way, and loving it.

As I approach 80 with a set of parapets in the bank, a cloak, a shotgun, and more enchanting mats and gems than I can shake a stick at, I find my aoe threat to still be an issue.

I've been doing a lot of instances with my 80 mage buddy, and I'm hoping that a lot of the problem lies in the fact that he and his assorted 25 Uld/Maly/Naxx gear are simply too much for me and my quest reward blues and Riot Shield. I'm almost always able to hold agro on a single target in Gundrak and OK, but AoE pulls are tough.

That was a long-winded way to say: please fix this link so I can pwn faces. Thanks!

-Pyow

For AoE tanking I suggest you,
charge, cleave, shield block, thunder clap, demo shout, cleave-cleave-cleave.
Though if dps can't wait, you might want to start with TC. The side effect, is that the attack speed will decrease of affected targets so they hit less while your shield block is up. Which simply does not capitalize on your Damage Shield talent.

Schwarma
07-14-2009, 07:19 PM
I had to blow the dust off my warrior, it took me forever to level him and when he did hit 70 I think I ran Kara twice.

I'm currently 75 and so far I'm doing decent at tanking, more than 4 mobs require a bit of attention. Adds or pats I'm fairly adept at picking up, it's pulling that I could use some work at. That's why I was really looking for this.

Pyow
07-14-2009, 07:27 PM
Good deal - appreciate the tips. I have been having a progressively easier time as I gear up and simply play more. What's frustrating is that aside from Tclap, Demo shout, and Shockwave, I'm hitting 2 targets at a time, max. I realize that's not taking damage shield into account, but blizzard or volley > damage shield. What I'm generally doing then is either tab targetting or attempting to click on names individually (using V to display health bars), taking a peek at Omen, and trying to identify who is getting drilled the most, focus on him a bit, then reevaluate and focus the next highest. Vigilance helps, but typically not enough. I'm actually considering switching Cleave for HS on my mouse wheel for aoe pulls.

Quick question: is it preferable to devote all my rage to cleave the world or should I slam/revenge individual targets while throwing cleaves in as rage permits? I guess the question is which is the bigger priority?

For Cider: have you checked into Vimeo? You can post up to 500mb per week, which I imagine is enough for this vid (unless it's a lot longer or higher quality than I assumed.)

Thanks again team,
Pyow