PDA

View Full Version : LF 3.0.2 prot pvp spec, gear and glyph suggestions

jlafleur
10-07-2008, 02:04 PM
Haven't had the time yet to jump on the PTR or gotten a key for beta but I was wondering what specs and gear people were considering for next week for prot pvp when 3.0.2 is released. I have S3 armor except shoulders (S2) plus a S2 weapon/shield as well full sunwell badge/t5/za tanking gear.

1. Arena gear for prot pvp or real tanking gear?

2. Lvl 70 spec? 7/1/53
Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=LGMZ0oZMIdrgbzibIdsGo)

3. 2 major and 3 minor glyphs (3rd major unlocked at 80)
Glyph of Blocking (major)
Glyph of Charge (minor)
Glyph of Rapid Charge (major)
Glyph of Bloodrage (minor)
Glyph of Thunder Clap (minor)

Other options for major
Glyph of Devastate (major)
Glyph of Revenge (major)
Glyph of Sunder Armor (major)

jlafleur
10-09-2008, 06:18 AM
Some 3.0.2 PTR prot pvp videos

YouTube - WoW 3.02 PTR Tinytankz Warrior Prot PvP
YouTube - Ogglatez- wotlk beta prot pvp

Leaning more towards this build since you will need to switch to berserker stance to intercept between charge CDs.

8/0/53

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=LG0cZZMIdrgbzibIdsGo)

Glyph of Resonating Power (major) also looks pretty interesting since coupled with Focused Rage and Imp TC you can reduce your TC to just 8 rage.

I rarely am using TC in PVP these days so I forget this but doesn't TC slow movement or simply just attack speed? If so, then it would seem to be a fairly viable snare. If it doesn't, then coupled with Glyph of Thunder Clap and Glyph of Resonating Power you can use it for destealthing. If it does slow movement, then why is everyone worried about Piercing Howl. This is a cheaper alternative that provides more benefit (reduced attacked speed - does AOE damage) except it can't be spammed.

jlafleur
10-09-2008, 07:03 AM
Alternative dropping Shockwave to get Piercing Howl.

0/11/50

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=LZGx0oZMIdrgbzibIzsG)

Pizzashark
10-14-2008, 02:25 AM
I plan on using regular PvP gear. I don't see any legitimate reason for using tank gear, especially since it lacks Resilience and doesn't have any more Armor than equivalent PvP gear does. I haven't checked the updated stats, but I'm fairly certain there's gonna be less STR and no crit at all on it. I can't envision using tanking gear in PvP unless you're one of those crazies that still think that you can have 20k HP and 300 DPS and expect people to do anything but utterly ignore you.

The spec I'm planning on using is this (http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=LZGxZihzrgdzibIdoGo), ready for Piercing Howl at 71. You could give up Shockwave for PH, but I don't see why you'd be psychotic enough to do so. I may drop the points in Booming Voice for a full 3/3 Puncture and just respect at 71. I do not think early Arms talents offer anything worth taking at this level. Armored to the Teeth is an amazing boost in DPS and I cannot believe anyone could not take it and think themselves seriously capable of doing anything in PvP - it's point for point better than Cruelty, and you can still get both at 70. I do think that 5/5 Shield Specialization is important, since you can't just spam Shield Block now. Remember that a blocked attack cannot crit, so that for physical attacks made on your frontal 180, you can add your block chance to your Resilience reduction for chance to avoid eating a crit - it's pretty significant.

Improved Bloodrage has always been a handy ability, because free Rage is always useful. Warbringer will make Prot a little less reliant on spamming it, but I still think Bloodrage will be my primary Rage-on-demand ability, not Charge. I do not plan on taking Critical Block, because I feel my base block value is already going to be sufficient for protection purposes, and I think the Rage cost reduction of Devastate will be more overall DPS than the crit chance boost of Shield Slam, thanks to Sword and Board - I'll have to crunch numbers someday.

As far as Glyphs go, I'll probably take Last Stand (reduces effect of Last Stand by 10%, but reduces cooldown by 3 minutes) and Blocking (increases block value by 10% for 10 seconds after a successful Shield Slam), and probably Devastate (Devastate applies two stacks of Sunder Armor) at 80. For Minor Glyphs I think it's whatever you like most, but I know I'll definitely be including Charge in there (5 yard increase, bringing it to 30 yards - I swear it should be a Major Glyph for something that good), and probably Bloodrage as well. Third Minor will probably be Thunder Clap or Battle.

As far as gemming and enchanting goes, it's pretty straightforward, I think. You'll want an Eternal Earthstorm Diamond in your meta slot - the 12 Defense Rating isn't worth much in PvP (just a little smidgeon of extra avoidance), but the 5% increased block value is huge. Red slots should be filled with Bold (+6/8/10 STR) cuts, and yellow slots with Smooth (+6/8/10 Crit) cuts. You'll be needing at least two blue gems for your Eternal Diamond, so I'd recommend two Jagged green cuts (Stamina and Crit.) Because you're a plateboy with a shield, you will not need to gem for Resilience.

Helm enchant should be Glyph of Ferocity. Use the standard DPS enchant for your shoulders - ideally you should be exalted with your chosen faction by now. Enchant your cloak with 12 Agility. Chest can be either 6 Stats or 15 Resilience - I'll probably go with 6 Stats myself. Bracers should be 12 Strength. Gloves should be 15 Strength. Pants should be Nethercobra. Boots should be Boar's Speed. As far as trinkets go, I've been using my Auto-Blocker and Medallion for a while now, and I don't see that changing, especially with how useful that extra block value is. If you want to go to the trouble of it, I'd recommend stacking the lucky coin with the auto-blocker while your medallion is on cooldown.

On tactics, it's not too terribly different from efficiently grinding. In general, keep an eye on your stun DR timer - mods like Afflicted and NECB can help you track this. The downside of Warbringer and being able to use Charge so much is that Charge's negligible 1 second stun sets off your DR timer, which means that if you just Charged a target, you should ideally use your major stuns - Concussion Blow and Shockwave - on alternate targets. This is a problem in any situation, but less so when you've got multiple targets to choose from - just Charge (or Intervene) someone near your actual target. For those that don't know how the DR timer works, the first stun in the timer group (for Warriors, Revenge Stun is on its own timer, and all other Warrior stuns are in another) is full duration; the second stun made within 15 seconds of the first is at half duration; the third stun made within 15 seconds of the first is at one quarter duration; and all subsequent stuns during that 15 second window are rendered ineffective. The way this works out, is that if you Charge a target (first stun, 1.00 seconds), then Concussion Blow (second stun, 2.50 seconds), then Shockwave (third stun, 1.00 seconds), your total stun duration (4.50 seconds) will actually end up being less than the stun duration of an unaffected Concussion Blow - 5.00 seconds. Something to consider.

If you've got Shield Block up against a physical DPS, try not to stun them until the effect is mostly over - you're wasting damage mitigation if they're stunned while it's up, and they can't attack you at all while stunned, so after they spend 10 seconds beating fruitlessly against your shield, punish them with another 7 seconds or so of uselessness.

Against spellcasters, if you find yourself pinned down (even with Warbringer, it'll happen), don't reflexively pop Spell Reflection, because they'll spot it and immediately waste it on a meaningless instant spell. Wait for the big hit (in the case of Frost Mages, this is the shatter combo; for oomkin, it's usually a Starfire combo), and pop Spell Reflection during the last 0.50 seconds of the cast, and the closer you get to it, the better. Not only does it prevent you from taking damage, it also adds a little DPS to you, and in some cases, quite a bit - I've bounced crit Starfires that ended up slamming the oomkin for over 4000, and I've bounced EMCLs that ended up killing not only the Shammy but also nearby allies of his.

Learn to use Shield Bash Silence aggressively. Part of it is knowing about how much HP your target has left, how much you can burst out, and how quickly you can burst it in that 3 second window. Remember that Paladins cannot bubble, Mages cannot blink, and healers cannot heal while silenced, so if you're going to blow your 12 second spell interrupt for a 3 second pre-emptive silence, make it count!

I could go on forever, but I've gotta be getting back to work :P