PDA

View Full Version : Need some coaching

Pramm
10-02-2008, 12:28 AM
Hello all,

I've recently come to some friction with my guild concerning my tanking abilities... This has gotten me quite perplex.

Wow armory is in maintenance at this time and I guess I can't like my specs on the forum. (Magtheridon (pvp server) - Pramm. (I'm the only one in all the servers...)

Any how... in my search to become a better tank, I stumbled on this amazing web site... www.tankspot.com (http://www.tankspot.com) :)

Love it! It gave me some tons of new info, things I didn't even consider before. I had the SB, Rev, Dev, Dev already figured out before coming here... but here is my problem... what is the cadence when you are hitting those buttons... is it slow? or is it ultra fast like you'd be tapping those keys until your fingers bled... any how, I'm curious how you guys are hitting those keys. :)

Another thing that has been blamed on me is the fact that I'm not generating enough threat on mobs. I find that alot of DPS in my guild (they are very well geared) seem to be going 'all out' on the trash pull and I find it hard to keep aggro. [The worst experience I ever had was when the two top mages came with me in an instance and they went all out on the trash, I could only slow them down as they kited the mobs themselves...].

I love tanking, and I thought I was doing a good job, now I'm a point that I'm thinking to just retire, and wait for the expansion with the new build coming and level my prot warrior too new hights... but then again, I'd still be wondering if I'm good or not.

If you have any thoughts, let me know, I'd appreciate it!

Best of regards,

Pramm

Wukki
10-02-2008, 12:47 AM
Hi Pramm!

I cannot see the armory, as you have stated it is under maintenance, so I'll try my best to answer your questions.

1. My personal preference is to hit the keys lightly, but it all comes down to preference. As long as it doesn't tale you two seconds to switch from shield slam to revenge.

2. You are facing what many warriors have been dealing with for a long time. Lucky for you, the end of that is now in sight. When dealing with a multimob group, all you can do is shout, clap, tab devastate, cleave, and pray. There are ways to help make it easier though.

3. How is your threat set? How much hit and expertise do you have? How much strength? How overgeared are the DPS?

4. Is it just specific fights where you have problems in threat, or is it all the time?

Darksend
10-02-2008, 12:52 AM
i have maul at 2, lets time myself 2 1/2 seconds go!

maul is every 2.5 seconds. with mangle lacerate and swipe, as soon as you see the GCD start, start spaming the next one it usually looks something like this 12212121233232323332323232323232323232323221212121 21212332323232323232323321221212121244242242442422 23121212212121212442424224242424422242424233232122 112121221

what gear do you have, what gear do you dps have. i ran normal black morass the other day on my druid, i was doing between 5-600 tps, i outgeared the place so badly i dodged every attack and those that i didnt hit me for like 200. (i actually held more TPS in dps gear in cat form.) if this is happening than theres nothing you can do, blizzard punishes tanks going into old content.

also a lot depends on your weapon, our tank had the worse like with unbreakable will and brutalizer, he was still using mallet of the tides when we got our 1st kalecgoes kill and the dragon encrusted longblade ? dropped. (yes we were killing those bosses for a year and only saw each weapon once both times before the tank even created his charater- he rerolled after our main tank ninja sold his account) anyway, a lot of people were being threat capped before, now even i had trouble catching him in bear form.

dont worry about trash, i find most of the deaths during trash are because i will say on vent "IM BUILDING ON X DO NOT ATTACK DIAMOND" and i see 5 shadowbolts fly into diamond, i just let the warlock die, truth is it will probably come right back to you anyway and its his own fault for not paying attention, you will have to stop building agro on a mob 15 other people are dpsing, turn your back to it, taunt another mob, then when you turn back around a dps doing what he was supposed to be doing died because some idiot put your taunt on cooldown.

tobarstep
10-02-2008, 03:29 AM
Your main skills are all on the 1.5 second GCD. I'm hitting a button every 1.5 seconds if I have the rage.

talisfears
10-02-2008, 06:43 AM
I find it helps immensely to be at the hit/expertise cap for trash mobs (about 5.5% each). Early misses account for most of the times I lose aggro. When I put my trash threat gear on, it just doesn't happen anymore. With your gear I'd just consider grabbing the fearless belt for badges. Great threat piece and it's still better mitigation than the Moroes belt.

Like others mentioned, your dps need to be disciplined as well. Mark targets and establish a kill order. If your dps are split or trying to AoE there is no way you can hold everything. Your dps may be extremely reckless in some of the things they do. I've had locks that insist on using Seed on every pull because they're worried about Damage Meters. Mages that lead with pyroblast because they can pre-cast it. Let them die a few times.

The absolute #1 thing I have to teach my warrior tanks is that Heroic Strike is NOT on the global cooldown. If you have extra rage you can hit Heroic Strike without interrupting your SS-Rv-Dv-Dv cycle AT ALL. So if you didn't know that, it will help you immensely. If you did know that, you are honestly probably ahead of the curve. Everyone has to have it explained to them, whether they read it on a forum or a guild trainer like me confronts them about it. :)

Finally, some warriors I see using shield block on trash mobs. This is a big waste of rage and completely not worth it on trash. Level 72 and below mobs can't crush you.

Pramm
10-02-2008, 08:25 AM
Here is my profile on wowarmory.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Magtheridon&n=Pramm)

Naka
10-02-2008, 08:41 AM
Don't retire, if you love tanking. Keep going. It doesn't matter if you're good or not, what matters is if you're willing and able to improve. And this site is the best place to help you with that. Welcome. :)

Pramm
10-02-2008, 08:59 AM
Thanks guys,

Well in my talents I added Unbrideled Fury to help me get alot of rage... then I discovered that Heroic strike added to threat in my Omen but sucked the rage out of everything.

Anyways I stoped using it as often as I did because before that I always had alot of rage ranging between 100% going to 70%.

Currently I have as my main and only tank gear (I see you guys may have more than one...)

Warbringer Greathelm
Brooch of Deftness
Shoulderplates of Everlasting Pain (looking too change those with the shoulders of ZA)
Chestplate of Stoicism
Vambrace of Courage
Warbringer Handgards ( I know I should get the 2% threat enchant... working on it)
Crimson Girdle of the Indomitable
Sungard Legplates
Jungle Stompers
Shermanar Great-ring
Violet Signet Ring
Gnomeragan Auto-Blocker
Coren's Lucky Coin
Moroes lucky pocket watch
(don't have the Commendation of Kael'thas)
Shield of impenatrable Darkness
Kingdefender
Gyro-Balanced Khorium destroyer

Everything has either a 12 stam or 15 stam in them (the ones I won't be changing soon).

Why I'm writing this is because I might be changing to ARms or Fury until the patch is applied...

Anyways this is what I do:

Trash: I pull with my gun always (this is not necesserely good because I read that it doesn't generate rage...)
I use bloodrage
Spam the first Shield Slam... then hit him like crazy with my devestate and use revenge when it pops up... I use shield block since it is bound to my third mouse... When I get all my rage I use the 2 3 4 4, sometimes I use 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 when 3 isn't up...

I try to use 2 3 4 4 but I find that other abilities are poping up before... and I'm so focused on keeping the mobs on me that I use everything I got on them. When in multi mob I always keep my taunt and when one of the mobs go for someone in the party I pick him up with my taunt and give him some more love but sometimes... the primary target gets away because our fire mage who crits like crazy and is a really good DPS gets the agro and gets one shot. (that is a running joke in the guilds because we say that he wants to tank) in a way I always feel responsible because at that point if he dies I fail.

I hate multi tanking sometimes I have good days and I really get them good but most of the times I loose control on some (MGT is the worst for that). Now that the guild has more than one Tank... there is an ambitious Pally tank that gets a alot more time in Kara and ZA because he can get more trash in control...

Anyways, I might get more stuff on what I do in raids soon I will post them today or tomorrow...

Thanks again for your comments!

Pramm

Pramm
10-05-2008, 07:53 PM
Just came back from a raid... my tanking was awesome!

Thanks guys!

Pramm :)

Colyn
10-07-2008, 02:57 AM
Hi Pramm,

Nice to hear that you're feeling some improvements. Apart from keeping solid rotations in play, I've always found that spamming the next ability rather than waiting for the button to light up and react made a huge difference to my tps. I made a video recently of a Halazzi kill and was pretty shocked to see just how much I actually spam the keys (http://utter.chaos.org.uk/~dean/SerenityBear3.avi). I'm trying to ease off a bit now without hurting my tps as I really don't fancy a bout of carpal tunnel syndrome :eek:

Fayre
10-07-2008, 05:48 AM
If you're having trouble in 5 man instances, you might like Imp T/Clap. I really found it useful for hanging on to packs, and it's probably a better investment than Unbridled Wrath.

You could also consider getting the BV meta gem for bigger initial threat.

Pramm
10-07-2008, 08:14 AM
BV meta gem? ( BV = Block value? )

Fayre
10-07-2008, 10:43 AM
Yeah, take a look at Eternal Earthstorm Diamond :)