PDA

View Full Version : Why Microsoft Zune is Awesome

Ciderhelm
10-01-2008, 01:31 PM
I was going to post this a bit earlier but I wanted to wait on the new Zune before doing so...

I love the Zune service. Here's what's up:

Subscription service -- Almost any song available for immediate download, rather than the usual $1 per song, if you use their subscription service. Since I tend to want to get a lot of music when I hear it, this is a good service.
FM-to-Download -- The Zune has an FM tuner built-in. When I hear a song I like, I tag it for purchase, and the next time I connect it to my PC I will automatically download it (and the whole album, if I want).
Hexic -- The best arcade game ever made in the history of ever.

The downside? TankSpot podcast isn't feeding to Zune yet, and that's sad. There are very occasionally songs I want that I can't get with the subscription service.

orcstar
10-01-2008, 01:40 PM
I was going to post this a bit earlier but I wanted to wait on the new Zune before doing so...

I love the Zune service. Here's what's up:

Subscription service -- Almost any song available for immediate download, rather than the usual $1 per song, if you use their subscription service. Since I tend to want to get a lot of music when I hear it, this is a good service.
FM-to-Download -- The Zune has an FM tuner built-in. When I hear a song I like, I tag it for purchase, and the next time I connect it to my PC I will automatically download it (and the whole album, if I want).
Hexic -- The best arcade game ever made in the history of ever.

The downside? TankSpot podcast isn't feeding to Zune yet, and that's sad. There are very occasionally songs I want that I can't get with the subscription service.
Does Zune still use DRM?
Because that's a downside.

Ciderhelm
10-01-2008, 01:44 PM
Does Zune still use DRM?
Because that's a downside.
Extensively. That's not a downside for most people who are willing to pay for music in the first place.

orcstar
10-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Extensively. That's not a downside for most people who are willing to pay for music in the first place.
MSN Music to go silent once Zune launches (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061103-8145.html)
Yahoo Music follows MSN into DRM controversy | News - Digital Media - CNET News (http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-9998504-93.html)
Walmart shutting off DRM servers, turning over a new leaf - Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/28/walmart-shutting-off-drm-servers-turning-over-a-new-leaf)

There are multiple examples that drm is a downside for paying customers only.

In these examples people paid for a service and their songs only to see the service being stopped and the functionality of their music library (which they paid for) crippled.

Ciderhelm
10-01-2008, 01:55 PM
MSN Music to go silent once Zune launches (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061103-8145.html)
Yahoo Music follows MSN into DRM controversy | News - Digital Media - CNET News (http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-9998504-93.html)
Walmart shutting off DRM servers, turning over a new leaf - Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/28/walmart-shutting-off-drm-servers-turning-over-a-new-leaf)

There are multiple examples that drm is a downside for paying customers only.

In these examples people payed for a service and their songs only to see the service being stopped and the functionality of their music library (which they paid for) crippled.

Your first link is referring to dated DRM implementation. Your second link doesn't say anything other than Yahoo is doing what MSN is doing. Your third link has nothing to do with Zune at all.

Itunes and Zune aren't sweating customers over DRM. They also aren't applying DRM to everything, but are instead making decisions on what record companies want. That's part of why their libraries are so big.

Per not being able to play music bought through other services? Downloading it from Zune through the subscription service is not remotely problematic, and isn't going to cost you anything beyond what you're already paying for. ;)

orcstar
10-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Your first link is referring to dated DRM implementation. Your second link doesn't say anything other than Yahoo is doing what MSN is doing. Your third link has nothing to do with Zune at all.
The links weren't meant to have to do anything with Zune but as examples where DRM hurt the original customers.

I don't like DRM because it's most another vendor lock-in. What might seem nice now maybe won't be so pretty in 5 or 10 years.

However I do like a subsription system instead of a per song download.

I can still play my first CD I ever bought, do you trust Zune or Itunes to be around. They might or might not be.

Ciderhelm
10-01-2008, 02:27 PM
The chance of Microsoft or Apple ceasing to support their music without removing DRM restrictions is about the same chance as both your house and car exploding, but your CD player remaining, and you being sad that you have no CD's to put into it.

Satrina
10-01-2008, 02:44 PM
I'd choose Zune over iTunes for the simple reason that iTunes is a piece of omgwtfgarbage with one of the most terrible interfaces I've ever seen, which is amazing considering Apple's excellence in amost everything else UI. It also won't ever shut up about updates. You practically have to reformat just to uninstall that nonsense.

That said, I love my iPod Shuffle for a workout noise box. I just rip my own tracks from CD and use Anapod to move music. I live in hope that someday Apple will look at iTunes, go wtf were we thinking? and give it a complete makeover and facelift. Either that or I'll put iTunes on some box I don't care about. That's a sad state of affairs.

Meeks
10-01-2008, 02:47 PM
I love that every year my zune gets upgraded with new features. It is liek getting a new one every year for free.

Sanelora
10-01-2008, 06:15 PM
I'd choose Zune over iTunes for the simple reason that iTunes is a piece of omgwtfgarbage with one of the most terrible interfaces I've ever seen, which is amazing considering Apple's excellence in amost everything else UI.

Very well said