PDA

View Full Version : Input needed: Threat, MH & BT

Eldrion
09-29-2008, 11:21 AM
Some quick info about me and the group I raid with.

WoW Armory Page (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Whisperwind&n=Eldrion)

I currently run ZA twice a week and have 3 nights of 25-man raiding. We are currently doing 2 nights of BT and 1 night of MH. Nagentus and Supremus are on farm, Akama is almost to farm and we downed Gorefiend for the second time last night (2 out of 8 I think.)

Our tank makeup for 25-mans is typically 4 tanks (2 Warriors, 1 Druid, 1 Pally) and the same 4 are there 95% of the time. On occasion we have the other warrior missing, but fill it with either a druid or pally. There are no DPS warriors in our raid.

Threat Questions:
1. This first one is more for my ZA group. The armor link up top is what I use pretty much everywhere except for Gorefiend in BT. Two of my six DPSers in ZA time and time again will pull aggro. I cannot figure out whether they are just pushing the line and when the crit it goes to hell, or if there is something I can do to help. I do the SS, Rev, Dev Dev roatation with Heroic Strikes above 50 rage. Is there a gear swap I can work with to help or am I fine and those 2 DPS need to notch it down a bit?

2. In the 25mans on nights where there is only myself as the warrior, what priority should I put on TC and DS? Fights like Gorefiend I really need to keep my threat up so DPS can do what they need to, but I would also benefit from TC (keeping SB up).

Hyjal & BT Questions:
1. On Kaz'rogal, I have been asking the Druid tank to be the MT on the boss due to Kaz'rogal's stun. I found a few times that My SB was used up and I was stunned and could not refresh it. We never died due to this, but the health bar was a bit spikey! Anyone else do this?

2. Last question is with regards to Gorefiend. We wiped about 4 times last night, I was using the armory set above. We took a 5 minute break and I went back to Shatt and swapped a few pieces out to give me maybe 3-4% more passive avoidance (mostly dodge), and maybe 1k more armor. After the break we killed him on the first attempt. My question is, is the above armor sufficient for Gorefiend or should I go with the other set. The higher avoidance set takes a hit loss(100 down to 60), expertise is still above 23 though, so I am not sure if it was my gear set, or we got lucky with construct operators, so healing was more focused on me. He did drop his gloves though, so I plan to shift some expertise pieces around.

Sorry for the wall of text, and thanks in advance!

Eld

Optimoos
09-29-2008, 11:51 AM
In ZA (or really, anywhere that your DPS is getting geared deep into T5/T6), it's fairly easy for well geared dps to go all out and pull threat from a tank who is doing things perfectly. To really evaluate what's going on you need to be doing WWS logging and learning to read the numbers or running them through a TPS parser.

In terms of thunderclap, if I am the only warrior in the raid I am probably overly negligent in not refreshing it. Keep an eye on omen, if you're doing OK for threat (be cognizant of classes close to you which can threat dump - hunters, mages, warlocks), replace a devastate with thunderclap when it needs to be refreshed. The problem with Gorefiend is that he is one boss that hits fast and hard, and is likely one you would like to have TC up on at all times, but as you said maintaining threat needs to be done as well. Weave it and DS in over devastates and you should be fine.

The stun is annoying, but as you say, you haven't died to it, which is the most important part. Feel free to do whatever works best for your raid, either you tank it or the druid.

On Gorefiend, if your construct killers are letting constructs into the raid, they will likely come for you and chew up your shield block charges, leaving Gorefiend open to crush you. This will usually mean you die. Honestly, the gear you logged out in should be more than fine for Gorefiend, especially if you're chain potting Ironshield potions. Your players need to be competent at killing constructs and you should not have a problem staying alive.

Zelgius
09-29-2008, 02:23 PM
Hyjal/BT
1. Free Action Potions
2. Because whether gear is adaquate is based mostly on other players, it's hard to say. It's up to you to decide what gives you the best chance of success. If it means they need to give you a heroism or have the DPS back off a bit, I'd take loot over people in your raid getting DPS logs to post on Elitist Jerks.

Eldrion
09-29-2008, 02:48 PM
In ZA (or really, anywhere that your DPS is getting geared deep into T5/T6), it's fairly easy for well geared dps to go all out and pull threat from a tank who is doing things perfectly. To really evaluate what's going on you need to be doing WWS logging and learning to read the numbers or running them through a TPS parser.

Edited: I used the search function!

In terms of thunderclap, if I am the only warrior in the raid I am probably overly negligent in not refreshing it. Keep an eye on omen, if you're doing OK for threat (be cognizant of classes close to you which can threat dump - hunters, mages, warlocks), replace a devastate with thunderclap when it needs to be refreshed. The problem with Gorefiend is that he is one boss that hits fast and hard, and is likely one you would like to have TC up on at all times, but as you said maintaining threat needs to be done as well. Weave it and DS in over devastates and you should be fine.

Sounds good, glad I wasn't to far off the path.

The stun is annoying, but as you say, you haven't died to it, which is the most important part. Feel free to do whatever works best for your raid, either you tank it or the druid.

Great, thanks.

On Gorefiend, if your construct killers are letting constructs into the raid, they will likely come for you and chew up your shield block charges, leaving Gorefiend open to crush you. This will usually mean you die. Honestly, the gear you logged out in should be more than fine for Gorefiend, especially if you're chain potting Ironshield potions. Your players need to be competent at killing constructs and you should not have a problem staying alive.

Yeah I did have that fear that the constructs were eating my block charges. I think it's more construct luck than anything.

Thanks for the input. Looks like I have a few things to look at, and after reading a few of Satrina's posts think I need to work on having a minimum of 3 sets.

Trash: 95 hit, 23 expertise, SBV after that
Boss: 142 hit, 23 expertise (or 64?), avoidance/stamina
Avoidance: Im currently at about 65% passive, should I aim for more?

I left stamina(EH) out, because in playing with my current available gear my rounded set (boss set) is only about 1k less health than a stamina set.

Again thanks for the inputs, look forward to hearing from others.