PDA

View Full Version : ZA? Maybe Early T5?... What do you think?

Korvid
09-24-2008, 03:35 PM
I know, yet another 'am I ready?' thread, thanks for your patience! :P

Here's my Armory:
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Silvermoon&n=Korvid)

I'd like to get some opinions on, specifically ZA, but T5 comment would be welcome.

To save some calcs, my total avoidance is 48.06%, and SBV is 317 (yes, a bit low). I have limited gear availiable to swap out, mostly DPS offspec kara drops.

Thanks in advance.

Fayre
09-24-2008, 06:04 PM
Your avoidance looks good but I think your effective health is a little bit lower than where it could be for ZA / early SSC, based on :

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/warrior-reference/37020-raid-zone-minimums.html

You could really do with some better boots. Karazhan is the best place, though you could hit heroic BF for another option.

I don't massively like the dual def trinkets or the SSO head enchant. The badge ring and the SSO neck are great pieces, but it hurts not having defence in those slots. Remember resilience can add to your uncrittability - I can't figure it out offhand, but you might be able to replace a trinket with (say) the heroic MgT Commendation, which would help your EH. Another place to think about stats is gemming on your chestpiece. Again it's going to be a balancing act.

Just quickfire thoughts, but hopefully of some use to you.

Korvid
09-24-2008, 07:54 PM
Thanks for your thoughts, Kayella. That's what I suspected. Hopefully one of the Kara boots will drop soon, I've had no luck! Also, I normally wear the neck off maiden when I need a little more tank stats over threat.

As for the enchants, I'm at a bit of a loss, without grinding rep to exalted with Aldor (or is it Shatar?). Are there others I should be considering?

Kaioken
09-24-2008, 08:52 PM
For starting ZA I think you could do it. You would have a hard time with some of the bosses (Halazzi and Nalorakk specifically) since they generate so much DPS onto the tanks and both your health and avoidance is a bit low. For T5 content I would put you as an OT if anything at the moment. Here are some of my suggestions to help you be stronger.

Get Revered reputation with Keepers of Time to pick up Glyph of the Defender. In replacement of the +18 stamina lost, pick up Commendation of Kael'thas from Heroic MGT and replace your Adamantite Figurine with that. Work to get Exalted Aldor reputation for the stronger shoulder glyph. Get +150 health to your chest. Go get 2% threat on your gloves. I used to be a huge unbeliever in the enchant (I went with +240 armor for the longest time because it gives you more EH than +10 stamina), but it does and will make your life a little easier when you tank.

Replace your legs, belt, and chest with the appropriate badge upgrades:

Chestplate of Stoicism
Girdle of the Fearless
Sunguard Legplates

Also, do Gruul and get Aldori Legacy Defender (good luck on the droprate). If you are just getting really unlucky with boot drops, do Heroic Blood Furnace and pick up Eaglecrest Warboots. Right now, your gemming is interesting but it is perfectly acceptable the way it is. I believe that you would be in huge trouble avoidance-wise if you went all stam with your gear right now. Stick true with those raid stat minimums and check your itemization when you start to upgrade. Remember, however, that when tanking encounters that you are undergeared for, tanks that stack stamina and armor (effective health tanks) will in MOST cases outperform an avoidance tank (stacks defense rating, parry/dodge).

Korvid
09-25-2008, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the great ideas guys, much appreciated. I do expect to be in an OT roll in either ZA or any early T5.

I'll keep on in Kara weekly, as I have been and hope for some boots and badges, and I guess some HMech and HBM for rep. I wonder tho if I'll be able get 260 badges before WotLK comes out!

Sad story on the Gruul sheild, it dropped on Monday, 2 of us rolled. Other guy rolls first, rolls a 4, I roll... a 1! lol

Krog
09-26-2008, 10:02 AM
I won mine with a ... 12

Lionides
09-29-2008, 07:41 AM
The ideas that was mentioned I agree with ....just wanted to add my Aldory shield story :

I was the raid leader and MT ...when It dropped I (in my exitement )said "ooh my shield " ....wonder why no-one rolled against my 3 ??

Dismember
09-29-2008, 08:01 AM
Answer for 2.4.3:

You're overcapped on defense. Pull that Adamantine Figurine for a stam trinket. Since it's Brewfest time, pick up a Balebrew Charm or Brightbrew Charm, or better yet a Commendation of Kael'thas from H MrT. You're EH is definitely a bit low for ZA/SSC/TK.

Answer for 3.0.2:

You may need to keep Adamantine Figurine to stay uncrittable after the patch hits. I would recommend that you transfer your warrior over to the PTR and see where you're sitting defense-wise, so that if you need to shuffle some gems and/or enchants around, you can be prepared.

Korvid
09-30-2008, 01:24 PM
I guess I should lead a raid... lol..great story Lionides.

Thanks for the comments Dismemeber, I have my Lunacy deck for a stam trinket, just need to wait a few days for the Faire to pop in Mulgor. I keep the figurine for when I need some added armour /def to meet my cap when I use the Brewfest SB coin.

Also, I wonder if it's time to work on SB set for leveling prot in 3.0... any thoughts?

Navlelo
10-02-2008, 06:04 PM
if you want a rather massive EH upgrade, grind the season 2 pvp shield ;)

protonly
10-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the great ideas guys, much appreciated. I do expect to be in an OT roll in either ZA or any early T5.

I'll keep on in Kara weekly, as I have been and hope for some boots and badges, and I guess some HMech and HBM for rep. I wonder tho if I'll be able get 260 badges before WotLK comes out!

Sad story on the Gruul sheild, it dropped on Monday, 2 of us rolled. Other guy rolls first, rolls a 4, I roll... a 1! lol

The thing about EH is that the tankspot guide assumes buffed values. My health/armor is comparable to yours and with just fort/kings/mow I'm over 50k EH which is good enough for all of T5.

Go to warcrafter.net and play in the sandbox. You can add buffs too and figure out what your EH really is with conservative buffs.

Haha, wow man, that roll sucks. Kinda funny the dude won it with a 4. /facepalm

Antonius
10-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Merciless Gladiator Shield Wall is definitely a good way to go... it helped bridge me between the SSO shield and finally getting ZA shield. Relatively easy honor grind and a good bit of stam/armor.

Korvid
10-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Well, after this weekend I'm half way to the S2 sheild, I have the marks, just need 7k honor. I'll go grab a darkmoon card today for the 51 stam (i have a lunacy deck already, couldn't justify the extra 1000g to get the furies deck!) So that will help too.

Thanks for the comments.

Korvid
10-09-2008, 04:14 PM
Just want to update, got the s2 shield, and the +51stam trinket... now I just need to find a group needs a OT for ZA!

Machus
10-11-2008, 11:52 AM
You should be able to complete ZA, although Nalorakk, Halazzi, and the last phase of Zul-Jin will give you trouble. I'm managing fairly consistent clears with badge gear slightly better than yours.

Nalorakk and Zul-Jin are effective health bosses. For Halazzi and Jan-Alai you could use either, but I prefer avoidance. I use my Sun Eater and Moroes Lucky Pocket Watch to reduce Halazzi's thrash-like damage when he changes back to single form, and to give healers a better chance to keep me up during Jan-Alai's enrage.

Malacrass is the hardest boss but not for you gear wise (he pushes the numbers for the healers and DPS). The adds are puny. If you off tank, you can safely put on DPS gear and your shield, and switch to DPS after they're dead.

Zul-Jin does less damage than you've faced so far for most of the fight, but does an astounding amount of damage at the end, when you are rapidly hit by 4k fire and 2.5k melee hits. There's not much for you to do but move correctly, shield wall, and hope your healers and DPS are up.

Korvid
10-12-2008, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the comments Machus, much appreciated.

I've studied the stragies for the fights, now I just need to find a group the needs a OT, so I get them down pat!