PDA

View Full Version : best way to buy wotlk...

protonly
09-15-2008, 08:18 AM
I was thinking the other day "what will be the best way to buy wotlk?" and I couldn't find an answer. I dislike preordering at a lot of stores b/c the preorder means nothing -- they're not physically holding a copy for you. Would Blizz offer it for download/sale from their site? That would seem to be the easiest way. The goal would be to get it on release date or that weekend and enjoy it with the Arite Lange biography that comes out that week too :)

I had to delay getting TBC until five months after release due to work and by that time you could just walk into *any* store and buy it so I don't remember how bad the rush was when TBC came out at your average bestbuy/gamestop/ebgames/etc.

Brucimus
09-15-2008, 08:22 AM
The Best way IMO is to preorder and make sure you are there early to pick it up. Meet some local Wowgeeks, talk some smack, and get the game. EB did a nice job for TBC

Kylja
09-15-2008, 08:25 AM
I'm lucky enough to have a spouse who plays with me. So since she's currently between jobs, she's going down to the local Game Stop to set up our reserved copies of LK. That store is in a shopping mall and does a midnight release which was pretty cool for TBC. Definitly doing that again :) Although this time we're only getting one Collector's Edition. She can have the little Frost Wyrnling since she's a little draco-phile.

Long and short of it, go to a midnight release and join the amped up buzzing crowd of fellow gamers waiting for their newest best "fix".

--Kylja

(P.S. First Post!)

Tatt
09-15-2008, 08:26 AM
Please explain how preordering does not mean you get one? I r confused, I already paid in full for my copy, and was promised one the day it comes out from gamestop.

Brucimus
09-15-2008, 08:31 AM
I think it's a similar situation to this YouTube - Seinfeld - The Car Reservation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeHG-8rfqKM)

Just get there early....just in case

oh and Tatt. Schematic: Mayhem Projection Goggles dropped off the first elf we killed in a Sunwell trash run last night. I was tickled

Horacio
09-15-2008, 08:40 AM
I did a preorder from Best Buy last time and it worked beautifully. Well, the fact that we were having a bizzare ice storm and I have 4 wheel drive and got to the store while most people stayed home helped.....

This time....I dunno, I guess I can send my wife....there is now a Best Buy literally right by our house, just opened a few months ago. Maybe they'll have a midnight drop?

Nove 13th is a Thursday....do I dare try to make a day off for Thurs and Fri? Risking alot of ugly looks and ridicule if I admit what its for.....

Nayre
09-15-2008, 08:55 AM
What I did for when BC, and see myself doing for LK as well, is I went to school. There's a Best Buy right near my school (as well as a future shop, and an EB... sometimes, I love going to university downtown...), and I had 1 hour of class, then a big ol' break. So around 9 or 10 in the morning on the day that BC came out, I walked over to best buy, and walked out literally less than 5 minutes later with BC in my bag, bought and paid for and ready to install.

Incidentally, I then went into the mall and saw a line of about 50 people outside the EB. I felt bad for them and tried to tell them about the best buy, but they wouldn't believe me.

Kazeyonoma
09-15-2008, 09:04 AM
The reason why it's fishy is because Gamestop/EB did this once with BLizzards expected release of Starcraft: Ghost. They took 15 dollar pre-order fees but in the fine print of the contract you had to sign, it said that it didn't guarantee you a game, nor did it guarantee any type of refund if the game didn't make it into your hands. Well Blizz scrapped the project entirely, and people went to get refunds and were promptly shoo'd away by Gamestop/EB employees. But, TBC went fine for me, stayed up till midnight and hung out with friends to get it. We had a very compelling argument with the Gamestop employees who were there around 11:30 about why couldn't we get the game and not wait till midnight when OBVIOUSLY people on the east coast were already installed and running around Outlands 3 hours prior. Good times.

protonly
09-15-2008, 10:10 AM
I think it's a similar situation to this YouTube - Seinfeld - The Car Reservation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeHG-8rfqKM)

Just get there early....just in case

oh and Tatt. Schematic: Mayhem Projection Goggles dropped off the first elf we killed in a Sunwell trash run last night. I was tickled

That is a funny episode. I'll have to look around for preorders and read the fine print since a few of you have positive remarks. Guess I'll just have "loose motion stomach" on 11-13.

veneretio
09-15-2008, 10:17 AM
I dislike preordering at a lot of stores b/c the preorder means nothing -- they're not physically holding a copy for you.
At the Staples in my area, they physically hold the copy for me.

Helmer
09-15-2008, 10:27 AM
the gamestop near me has always been good for midnight releases. they say by policy theyll hold my copy for like 2 days. and ive tested it once by showing up late. they still had it. so midnight release for me :)

protonly
09-15-2008, 10:34 AM
From ebgames.com ...

Pre-order World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King by November 12th at 11am CST with overnight shipping and get guaranteed delivery on the street date of November 13th! If your product does not arrive on the street date, we will fully refund your shipping charge.

Sounds good to me!

Rishkkin
11-10-2008, 07:39 AM
We can't buy at ebgames.com in canada :-(

I had to get it at Futureshop, but they don't guaranty delivery for Nov 13th :-( Just hope I won't loose my whole day waiting on the delivery...

donald1985
11-11-2008, 10:08 PM
Should have done the pre order. But I am going to the Houston, Texas release party with my rl guildmates. We are a bunch of hs friends, all graduated, who love wow.