PDA

View Full Version : Synergy & Buffs > Pure Dps?

Geronimoo
09-09-2008, 08:55 AM
So here's the skinny: Myself, brother in law and a close friend decided back in may to start laying down plans to start a morning guild in wotlk focused on 10-player content. Our goal was to run heroics and pug kz etc and meet some new people. I started the summer leveling a prot warrior so we'd for sure have a tank and imo the most reliable tanking class, least gimmicky and easiest to push progression with. Well its the end of summer, my prot warrior is in kz/badge/crafted gear for the most part, we met some people and now we're looking forward. My problem is one of the people we met is a prot warrior. He's straight up a better tank than I am and I dont mind making him the MT. However, I am at a loss now of what to play. I've been reading some on EJ about how buff synergy will work between classes etc. This is what we have so far:

Prot Warrior
Feral Druid
Holy Priest
Resto Druid
Elemental Shaman
Mage
Hunter
Ret Paladin (this one is on a short leash but we all want paladin buffs etc)

Obviously with only 10 slots available we need a lot of bang for our buck. Things like wf totem etc are useful but w/out a solid 5 melee dps group like in 25 man content will I end up gimping overall dps because it doesnt buff enough dedicated dpsrs to outweigh the loss of personal dps an enhancement shaman brings. I am just not sure if we could support another hybrid style dps class or if we need more *pure* dps classes. Anyway, any input would be great on what I could play to help round out our 10 person raid group goin into the xpan. Assume leveling a new toon is not an issue and plz dont respond with that carebear "play what you like" :)

Thanks

Galushi
09-09-2008, 08:59 AM
A enhancement shaman wouldnt be a bad addition. The totems and buffs they provide would be beneficial to the ProtWarr, Feral, Hunter, and RetPally. They are also fairly substantial dps themselves. Looks like you have more physical dps then caster dps at this point anyways.

Geronimoo
09-09-2008, 09:03 AM
Well I have myself as undecided and then a vacant spot. So it can swing either direction at this point as far as melee v ranged. Fortunately, we're all pretty solid players who just work weird hours so I may be way over analyzing this.

Bonerot
09-09-2008, 09:07 AM
I may be way over analyzing this.

This.

There is a lower requirement in WotLK to min/max a raid. Just pick people who don't suck or that you like playing with assuming you meet the min requirements for tanks/healers and type of dps.

orcstar
09-09-2008, 09:42 AM
I'm missing a warlock and a rogue in your setup. I would start looking at one of those two.

Galushi
09-09-2008, 09:49 AM
I believe Unholy DK's can put up similar debuffing to Warlock Curse of Elements, so thats a viable alternative. Assuming thats what you were suggesting in regards to the warlock.

You also only have 2 healers in that group so you might consider a Resto Shaman or Holy Paladin. If you opt not to get the enh sham, resto sham might be a good option since they can still spec for improved Str/Agi totem and put down WF and Mana Spring. The elemental sham can take care of the caster style totems.

Another paladin might not be a bad idea for a 2nd set of blessings.

Geronimoo
09-09-2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the input. I'll probably start looking at a rogue or shaman. From what I have read the 10-player content is *supposed* to be 1 tank + 2 healers and the ret paladin and elemental shaman know if we end up needing 3 healers one of them is respeccing (probably the ret paladin). And yes, I would love for that 10th person to be a warlock for CoE, stones, bloodpact etc. I just want to avoid playing a caster again if possible.

Galushi
09-09-2008, 10:17 AM
Warlock Stones are unique, but as i said, DK's can cover the CoE debuff, and Bloodpact doesnt stack with Commanding Shout. If your pally is doing might (since it doesnt stack with battleshout) the warrior can easily do Commanding.

In all the 10mans i have run we usually do 1 MT, 1 OT (capable of both tanking and dps), 3 healers, 5 dps. Depending how good the tanks and healers are you can go down to 2 healers for an extra dps.

Personally making someone respec to be a healer is kinda lame =( If they dont want to i mean.

Geronimoo
09-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the reminder about bp (tho the fel hunter has a nice party buff too). As far as respeccing........both of them have offered to heal if thats whats needed. However with the spell power changes etc I dont see why the elemental shaman cant switch a few pieces of gear etc and throw chain heals on the dps if requiring some off heals on a select few encounters is whats needed. However, if it comes down to having 3 full time healers, I just dont see a spot for 1/5 dps slots to be a ret paladin. However, I am tryin to keep an open mind about it and he and I have discussed it at length. Still hard to tell maybe i'll copy my paladin over to beta and see what their dmg is like tonight.

Galushi
09-09-2008, 10:48 AM
From what ive read and heard, most specs should be doing competitive dps and given that Retpallies will have good raid buffs (blessings, 2%dmg /3%haste aura, manabattery) its not a bad call for a dps spot.

Geronimoo
09-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Yeah, I am cautiously optimistic about ret. It sounds good but I'm still skeptical, also curious to know if the 3% haste for imp ret aura stacks with the new wrath of air totem....I doubt it tho.

orcstar
09-09-2008, 02:05 PM
Watch out to not go for maximum buffage too much.

The dps output of "pure" classes can often easily make up for missing a buff or two....

bosephus
09-12-2008, 06:42 AM
Grab a warlock. The ability to summon people is irreplaceable. Also, Banish is unique in CC and healthstones are very important to have. Plus, all the Warlocks I know are the highest and most consistent ranged DPS, although I don't know whether that's changing as they rebalance the numbers.

Kedearian
12-23-2008, 10:33 PM
with the death of 0/21/40 warlocks are not _the highest_ anymore. they can still be up there if played well, but its more about player skill and gear than class at this point. Some classes do still have an advantage over others but i'd hesitate on saying class X is the best ranged dps.

Ked