PDA

View Full Version : UFO defence

Thgil
09-08-2008, 05:12 PM
X-com

Any PC gamer worth their sweat and their keyboard knows this game, dispite the fact its almost 15 years old, its still one of the best games around (I still play it from time to time).

Anyway, Ive heard from a few different places about a compleate remake in production. Not a spiritual successor (like the UFO series, which was good, but, lacked the, well, it just wasnt X-com) but an all out remake.

I remember a game informer article a few months back which talked about game franchises which disapeared and their possable futures, X-com was mentioned and mentioned Atari buying its rights and starting a project, or something like that.

I also heard a few people mentioning it the other day... Is this game going to be revived to rape my free time, make me forget about fable II, fallout III, or even WotLK?

Now if you excuse me I need to get into my flying suit and blast some floaters with blasterbombs.

Ciderhelm
09-08-2008, 05:17 PM
It was brought up because Steam has a) all the X-Com games for cheap and b) they all work on Vista, something that was thought to be impossible by many fans. :)

Alent
09-08-2008, 05:19 PM
Did they fix that damned end of phase bug?

I have some really developed saves in TFTD but every time I endturn the game goes SPLAT. :(

Thgil
09-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Hehe, I still have the old disks =D

But yeah ive been digging around and I noticed that steam has the X-com series.

anyway, there are tempiting articles like this
Irrational Games Developing X-COM Title? - Shacknews - PC Games, PlayStation, Xbox 360 and Wii video game news, previews and downloads (http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/45797)
which may make me think something else is going on...

There are a few tidbits of very sketchy info around if ya look... Nothing solid much less provable.

Still, one can hope...

((Edit))
to add, in the new one is it just as easy to messaround with (in the classic dos version you COULD take the soldiar.bat file from one save and put it into another... I used to start games with fully leveled out guys, with flying suits!
((edit))