PDA

View Full Version : Sub for MT

Churles
09-07-2008, 11:23 PM
Our guild's main tank shows up to raids, but I feel we are too dependent on him, and so I tried to gear my warrior, in case he was needed should our MT ever, get sick, or drunk, or something, and not show to a raid.

His armory link is here:
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Eredar&n=Logosh)

but he is currently pvp specced, so thats not of much use atm, so here is my armory link:
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Eredar&n=Churles)

So until our mt respecs for comparison i am just wondering, more or less, how well im doing for bt and hyjal. And what (somewhat) easily attainable gear you think I should try and get to help me in this.

You may notice I have 2 pieces from hyjal, and 1 from bt, but the pieces from hyjal were picked up times I was allowed to come to hyjal for a quick run (just buying archi ids now) and the bt item is from when i had time to pug with a guild starting bt. I dont have the luxury of doing the first 4 bosses of hyjal or any of bt now, so i was wondering what you would suggest I try and get if anything.

Of note, I have the axe off zuljin with executioner and gnomeragon auto blocker for threat, and lol spyglass of the hidden fleet for stam but that is it for pieces to trade out (yes every piece I have in general was an upgrade both in threat and/or mitigation from its previous.)

P.S. the parry gems are because i wanted to gear for avoidance but it sucks to have tons of dodge in heroics (think of how many ive had to do, + fury gear for this alt.)

Churles
09-09-2008, 01:16 PM
So what would I fall short on?
My health is a bit below his, but armor is higher at the moment.

My avoidance is quite a bit lower, but according to http://www.tankspot.com/forums/warrior-reference/37020-raid-zone-minimums.html my avoidance is enough unbuffed for bt till illidan and i assume with kings and the right elixirs it would be enough for illidan.

Then there is threat.
It would seem I have better threat stats, I have more hit and expertise, but am about 5% lower on crit and i dont know his block value but mine is 414. However he has the 4 pc bonus for t6.

It seems as if (and as I should) I am below him in every category.
However is any of these areas, too far below to sub in if needed?
Would I get hit too hard to survive bosses like gorefiend, bloodboil, or possibly illidan?
Is my avoidance too low, which would result in making my healers go oom on IC.
Would dps be threat capped on each fight?

I would just like some opinions, and critique.
Are there items I should shoot for in a pug za, tk, or ssc to help certain areas?
Would it matter that much if I changed those parry gems to dodge?
Should I reenchant anything?

Helpful posts appreciated.

Inaara
09-09-2008, 01:35 PM
You should regem everything to Stam. You don't really need avoidance till sunwell and at that point you will gem dodge. Parry sucks sucks sucks, dont get it, dodge is better. You may want to put 10 hit in your shield but other than that go with stamina. If you're not pumping enough threat out in heroics the stam will also help alot more that stacking parry for avoidance. Stack EH until Sunwell or Archi/Illidan at the very least.

I would also change the cloak chant to dodge or armor, your chest to 150 health instead of defense and your boots to Boar's speed unless you're waiting for myrmidon's treas off Najentus.

Churles
09-09-2008, 03:57 PM
If you look at our mts health it is only about 400 higher than mine, and he uses all stamina gems, so im not worried about my stamina, especially since my armor is higher.

This is in part why I have gemmed for parry, it is avoidance, but it allows me some rage and threat by speeding up my attack, this is not needed in raids, but the massive amount of heroics ive done, im sure it has helped me more than dodge would. I dont generally have threat problems in heroics, its just a matter of sitting down, or turning around some times for rage.

Boar's speed I have been saving for new boots, I figured my rl would sub me in, some time but I guess he is hesitant to bring alts to BT, even for bosses which not many people really need any items from anymore.

Inaara
09-09-2008, 04:26 PM
The point is you don't need avoidance and that is made more apparent by the fact that you either sit down or turn away from mobs. Not dodging or parrying and taking the hit with a larger health pool gives you added threat by having more rage to dump into HS's. Gemming avoidance isn't required or beneficial until you're tanking in Sunwell and parry is an absolute waste.

But hey, it's your toon so you know best.

veneretio
09-09-2008, 05:42 PM
Well regardless, when gemming for Avoidance... Dodge always > Parry.