PDA

View Full Version : Taunt vs Hate

Darven
09-05-2008, 09:32 AM
Hello,

I know I can look at my skills to see how much Taunt I have but, where do I gauge my Hate?

Which is more important for holding agro while grouped?

Thanks!
http://www.eventideguild.com/images/misc/progress.gif

Doxa
09-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Based on the way that you phrased the queston I'm not sure you have a conceptual grasp of what you're asking.

So, "hate" (usually referred to as threat) is the NPC's aggression towards a particular player - and *usually* is an indicator of who the NPC is going to be attacking. So, tanks want a lot of threat, DPS'ers very little. The NPC should be attacking the tank, not the DPS.

"Taunt" is a way to move yourself up on the threat list of an NPC. So, if for some reason the NPC begins attacking the DPS or healers then the "taunt" is a way for a tank to say to the NPC, 'HEY YOU! Attack me, not them!' If the taunt works successfully the NPC will redirect its attention to the tank instead of the others.

Threat is generated differently depending on the class so you'll have to look into some class specific material on increasing your threat (i.e. hate).

Lilie
09-05-2008, 10:48 PM
I think there might be some website confusion happening, which is understandable considering AoC is the adopted brother to another, much more prominent and popular sibling here, at TankSpot. I believe Dexa was interpreting your question in WoW mechanics as opposed to AoC.

To get to your question...I honestly don't know that there has been a ton said regarding the mechanical difference between taunt and hate. It is certain that they both have an impact on your threat and I believe most consider hate to be a type of taunt multiplier. Unfortunately, trying to test for the exact difference would be a difficult and complicated endeavor. I think most of us are hoping that more will be said in the AoC tooltips of the future that might clear the whole thing up. That being said, I think the question behind your question is whether or not you should gem for hate or taunt. I would say that you don't really need to worry about it for now. None of the tanks in Eventide (myself included) gem for it and we get along just fine.

Darven
09-06-2008, 09:19 AM
I would say that you don't really need to worry about it for now. None of the tanks in Eventide (myself included) gem for it and we get along just fine.

The reason I ask is I have come across situations where say one armor slot can be occupied by an item that has +1 hate or 13 Taunt, whuch would be better for me?

If I read you correctly, Taunt is more important.

Thank you!