PDA

View Full Version : Chrome

Velhym
09-02-2008, 09:22 AM
Being released sometime today. Definitely going to check it out myself.

Google Chrome (http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/index.html)

mero12513
09-02-2008, 09:50 AM
OMG.
This is step one in the Google's Web Based OS. Can't you see it taking shape? The little comic likens the browser to an OS many times.
BTW: The Google Web-Based OS is step 6 of 10 in Google's world domination plan. Steps one through five have been completed. Be prepared

veneretio
09-02-2008, 09:59 AM
This should be really cool... my only worry is will it have the extensions that Firefox boasts. (that have become like 2nd nature for me)

Velhym
09-02-2008, 10:04 AM
They can certainly add or make them. It'll take a little time. WebKit is a pretty beastly awesome development system though.

Cynocide
09-02-2008, 10:08 AM
I'm actually interested in seeing what Google has to offer on this.

veneretio
09-02-2008, 10:21 AM
This may spell the end of Firefox though since it's basically google funded :(

That being said... if Chrome is better... bring it on! :D

mero12513
09-02-2008, 10:49 AM
WTB download now!

Velhym
09-02-2008, 10:55 AM
This may spell the end of Firefox though since it's basically google funded :(

That being said... if Chrome is better... bring it on! :D

Firefox still has its contract with Google through 2011. They aren't leaving anytime soon.

Velhym
09-02-2008, 12:00 PM
Its up!

Google Chrome - Download a new browser (http://www.google.com/chrome)

Velhym
09-02-2008, 12:13 PM
World First Tankspot Chrome post.

Lore
09-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Oh I like it, I like it a lot.

tobarstep
09-02-2008, 03:11 PM
Firefox still has its contract with Google through 2011. They aren't leaving anytime soon.

And Chrome is still Windows-only at this point. A bit odd that such a massive and highly-touted open source project would initially release as Windows only.

Velhym
09-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Give it a little time for the Mac and Linux versions. The issue I'd imagine Google has with making Chrome on Mac is to actually design it so it feels very different from Safari, since both are Webkit browsers.

Rak
09-02-2008, 04:23 PM
I understand it's beta, but the massive lack of options is really making it hard for me to use it. All I really want is to be able to move one UI element, but alas...

Kazeyonoma
09-02-2008, 04:32 PM
I'm reading it and can't find a reason not to install it asap, but like... i'm at work so i'llw ait till I get home =P

Bloodwraith
09-02-2008, 04:53 PM
I'm using it right now. No complaints :D

Kazeyonoma
09-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Bit the bullet and using it now, it's pretty sexy.

Bloodwraith
09-02-2008, 06:13 PM
Yeah it's pretty nice looking. Plus it has a bookmark bar like safari does which I love.

Edit: Plus it has an incognito option, so you can be sneaky if you don't want anyone to see what's on your computer.

You've gone incognito. Pages you view in this window won't appear in your browser history or search history, and they won't leave other traces, like cookies, on your computer after you close the incognito window. Any files you download or bookmarks you create will be preserved, however.

Going incognito doesn't affect the behavior of other people, servers, or software. Be wary of:
Websites that collect or share information about you
Internet service providers or employers that track the pages you visit
Malicious software that tracks your keystrokes in exchange for free smileys
Surveillance by secret agents
People standing behind you

:D

Arrivan
09-03-2008, 06:26 AM
I for one welcome our Google overlords.

Downloaded it, I'm impressed.

Satrina
09-03-2008, 03:51 PM
It doesn't play well with multiple monitors on XP, but I filed a bug report. I imagine it'll get fixed at some point.

Velhym
09-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Really? What happens? O_o

Kazeyonoma
09-03-2008, 04:03 PM
So, from reviews I've seen, people are stating that chrome loads regular pages slowly, but I haven't had this experience, anyone else wanna chime in?

Satrina
09-03-2008, 04:04 PM
I have a 24" widescreen primary and a 19" regular secondary.

- The custom title bar doesn't allow my multi-monitor software to put its handy button for "move to other montor" up by the minimise button

- When I right click on the browser's button in the task bar and choose move to other monitor, it doesn't resize for the 19" screen, so it overlaps onto the other monitor.

I expect my multi-monitor app needs an update as well which may solve the resize problem, but the custom title bar part is all Chrome's fault.

Klimpen
09-03-2008, 04:04 PM
No middle mouse button scrolling=fail.

Couldn't find the bookmarks manage menu either.

Nez
09-03-2008, 04:05 PM
I noticed the same Satrina, missing my little NVIDIA control buttons.

Bonerot
09-03-2008, 04:07 PM
the middle mouse scroll works for me. I can't commit since it has no greasemonkey or adblocker. Sorry addons are a huge draw for Firefox.

edit: Oh this is a chrome post too

Velhym
09-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Its got the basic popup blocker, but I kinda get the feeling like adblocker and whatnot are things this browser won't really have because of google's stance on ad revenue.

Bloodwraith
09-03-2008, 06:39 PM
No middle mouse button scrolling=fail.

Couldn't find the bookmarks manage menu either.

It's scrolling find for me :p

I imported my fav's from IE and on the top right there is a bookmark menu for me. Hover mouse over it and it pops down. You can also drag them to the fav bar.

Rak
09-03-2008, 06:45 PM
So, from reviews I've seen, people are stating that chrome loads regular pages slowly, but I haven't had this experience, anyone else wanna chime in?

I've felt like it's loading pages slowly, but I haven't bothered doing actual side-by-side tests to see if it is. I notice that sometimes when you click a link on a site like a forum, rather than going from the previous page to the new one, it loads a blank white page in between. It makes it feel like it's being slow, even if it isn't, and it's annoying.

Kazeyonoma
09-03-2008, 09:02 PM
Yeh that's what I've been bothered by is how when opening new pages or tabs it opens a white space first... I dunno why, the white page bothers me.

Oh and BW, Klimp is referring to pressing down the mouse wheel DOWN and how on all other browsers it puts up an autoscroll. That's currently not working.

Alent
09-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Oh and BW, Klimp is referring to pressing down the mouse wheel DOWN and how on all other browsers it puts up an autoscroll. That's currently not working.

I hope this stays the way it is. For those of us who use mouse wheel click for their push to talk key, this is awesomeness.

Squeegiemama
09-04-2008, 02:26 AM
...mouse wheel click for their push to talk key...

Wow, guess what I'm remapping tonight.

Kazeyonoma
09-04-2008, 08:59 AM
yeh i use it for push to talk as well, but sometimes when browsing forums and talking on vent it annoys me lol, agreed emo-bear.

Edit: oh and 1 weird thing that happened last night, not sure if it's chrome related or just stupid computer related but my g/f's running the Sony Vaio CR510 (pretty new, only 1 month old) and she's a fan of google so she dl'd chrome and started using it after my explaining of what it was trying to accomplish. She's got those typical laptop buttons (mute, vol up, vol down, screen of) above her keyboard on the laptop and the weirdest thing happened, and this is how it happened exactly.

Chrome started, browsed a few pages, showed her incognito window, closed prior window, with incognito window we went to youtube to look at funny videos, decided to unmute volume... no work. vol up, vol down, even the camera capture button didn't work, non-responsive. Right click on volume adjustment in the task bar -> Open volume Mixer.... no response. Basically sat there scratching my head for a while, even opened up device manager to see if the sound card had stopped responding or something. Nothing. So I suspect MAYBE (far fetched I know but hey) it was chrome for some reason. I close chrome and BOOM, everything loads. volume mutes unmutes like 90 times, camera takes 15 snap shots, volume goes up and down however many times I pressed it. full response again. Then i opened up chrome and tried it again to test wtf happened, and full response again. Seems like SOMETHING from chrome triggered a stack loop and kept the rest of the comp from doing stuff. Should I have reported this?