PDA

View Full Version : A little Noob Love

Sutral
09-02-2008, 08:56 AM
Hello,

I've been reading on for the past week and there is a wealth of great information on here. I was hoping for some pointers on my build and gear direction.

I started off getting the Gladiators set from the BGs, and have since moved on with a couple of new pieces that I think are better for tanking.

So far I have done Botanica, Mech, Blood Furnace, and a couple of others once or twice. I even helped Tank in Kara, but I have a long way to go before getting back there!

I have read all about the Def rating, and the max health suggestions, I am close on the Def, but need more Stamina I think. Anyway, I have been told that I am doing very well in the Runs I have been in thanks to the advice on here!

Please check out my Main and let me know what you guys think.
Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated. I have alot of work to do before WoTLK comes out...

Sutral
Blade's Edge

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Blade%27s+Edge&n=Sutral)

Taelas
09-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Your gear's pretty much all PvP gear. While this can work, and obviously has for you, it has far too low avoidance -- even with the somewhat large amounts of agility you gain, you have barely 35% total avoidance.

You are not close on the Def rating quite yet -- you need over twice as much as you currently have. Fortunately, you have plenty of Resilience to make up for the lack; you are not crittable even in raids.

You have only five real "tank" items -- your neck, your shoulders, your chest, your belt and your shield. Of those, you only really need to replace your shoulders; they are rather low level.

You've got plenty of armor, but your health is low; just below 12k unbuffed.

You could probably main-tank KZ up to Curator without any serious problems, at least with regards to gear. But you need to replace some items pretty badly.

-Your bracers are for FR; they only really have use on encounters where you take a lot of Fire damage.
-Your cloak and (one of) your rings are pure DPS items. They need to be replaced with items with Armor, Stamina, Defense rating, or similar. If it has Attack Power, Strength, Agility, Crit strike rating, or the like, it is probably not worth going for.
-Your trinkets are PvP trinkets -- they have almost no use in PvE.

I suggest you take a look at the gearing threads in the Gear List forum; they should help you immensely with what you lack.

You will be able to tank pretty much any normal instance you want, with the possible exception of Magister's Terrace; your health might be too low for it. You can probably tank easier Heroics such as Mechanar, Slave Pens, etc. with plenty of crowd-control.

For future reference, threads like these should be posted in the Armory Ratings & Suggestions - TankSpot (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/armory-ratings-suggestions/) forum. :)

Kazeyonoma
09-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Moved to Armory Ratings & Suggestions.

Sutral
09-03-2008, 05:55 AM
Thank you for the reply,

I did the PvP gear so that I would have something decent for regular instances as I build up my Tank Gear.

Im running at least 1 instance a night right now so Im getting better at crowd control etc. Thanks again for all the help. Now im off to kill things..:cool:

BloodDog
09-03-2008, 06:42 AM
One thing that could be helpfull is to get a set of felsteel armor made. It is crafted so u just have to farm mats, but it has def on them and sockets for adding some stam gems. These can be used all the way thur Kara until Tier 4 gear starts dropping. Plus with u being a BS the 3 set bonus is +25 to str.

protonly
09-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Yeah, the felsteel stuff is pretty good and just keep working on replacing pvp gear with pve gear. There is a quest trinket (Dabiri's Enigma) and a ring (Protector's Mark of the Redemption) that are easy to get that would be nice upgrades. The engineering gun would also be nice too.

You're on your way so just keep doing what you're doing.

Sutral
09-03-2008, 11:07 AM
Awesome, thanks again. I hope to be in Kara soon and I can get the mats for the Felsteel Gear easily enough.

Ill get those quests going as well.

Sutral

marklar
09-03-2008, 11:24 AM
all that PVP gear and no shoulders? it's like the best piece.
and get keepers of time rep - it's sooo easy to earn and mandatory for tanks.

Sutral
09-03-2008, 11:54 AM
I do have the full set, the shoulders are in my inventory as we speak, i was trying these out since i just got em.

Ill look into Keepers of Time rep, just there doesnt seem to be much action there on my server.