PDA

View Full Version : Arena gear: Armor or weapon first?

Dark_Lenre
09-02-2008, 04:45 AM
Hi,
i'm sorry if it's a repost...
I would like to start doing arenas with my druid friend, so i'm farming honor points to pick up a better suited equipment.
My point is:
It's better to take the armor pieces or the 2h weapon first?

(Or leave the arena, buy the 1h swords and respec fury for WotLK lvling? Mmm Titan's Grip could be usefull to lvl!! The 2h weapons have really high lvling stats like stamina!! This last couple questions are optional.. actually i really enjoy pvp )

My armory profile: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Runetotem&n=Kelberhan)

I've a lot of +Hit cos i've a lot of problems with rage generation and i used that gear with a fury spec, at least i'dont miss to often! I'll replace that pieces with some more pvp-oriented ones..

I'm italian so my english isn't that good ^^ (don't flame me!)

Kazeyonoma come and rescue me!
Tx in advance

Schleppy
09-02-2008, 11:06 AM
I'm not kaz, but here is my $.02

Weapon first, it will be your biggest upgrade. Then start replacing your non-set pieces. Save the 5 piece blue set (go get the last piece) as your last upgrades. Get the badge cloak (dory's embrace) your immeadiate goals should be as follows..(in no particular order)

1) add at least 500 ap (dont enchant for ap, enchant for str!) You want to be at 1300 ap unbuffed
2) add 13% crit chance (you want 30% crit chance in zerker to start off)
3) add about 250 resilence
4) loose 85 hit rating

Bloodwraith
09-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Always weapon first. You'll see the most improvement from that upgrade than you will with any other peice of gear. With the upcoming merge patch Titan's grip will become available so you could actually buy 1 2 hander then save for another if you decided you wanted to go fury spec (I know I will be :p).

Getting one handers will not be the way to go because Arms will be using a 2 hander and fury will be DWing 2 handers soon enough.

I'm sure Kazey will tell ya the same thing :D

Dark_Lenre
09-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Oh tx for the answer! I'll buy the 2h sword first.. tonight i think...
As always you guys of tankspot are the best!
Kazey haven't answered yet :(

Kazeyonoma
09-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Sorry lol, my computer at work melted so i've been using a temporary computer and haven't been trolling as fast as I normally do.

Grab the weapon. Grab an Axe preferably (why?!?!zomg!) well with WOTLK looming, and 3.0 coming soon, poleaxe spec will become your best bet, and with your lower level of gearing adding 5% crit even now will be a bigger improvement to your stats than either of the two other weapon specs. Then you'll want to start filling in other pieces of gear. Schleppy was pretty much what I would advise as is BW's.

Kazeyonoma
09-02-2008, 05:08 PM
Whoops, just read on the forums, apparently the nerf to sword spec cd got removed on Beta some time ago, if this is indeed true (awaiting confirmation) then Axe or Sword would be great for you, Maces.... will become lackluster not to mention at your level of gearing it won't help you much at all.

Schleppy
09-02-2008, 11:56 PM
What level would you think the ArP percentage would need to come up to with maces to level it out with swords/axes? It's currently 15% ArP with maces, any suggestions on what would be (in the words of baby bear) "just right"? I'm guessing 25% would hit the sweet spot making it worthwhile.

I hate the enraged assault change to enrage regeneration (30% of your total health over 10 seconds, 3 min cooldown, consumes an enrage effect) Bladestorm will have to be so good, it makes me sexually aroused for arms to be worth anything with these changes I'm afraid. (Yes, I've changed my stance)

Kazeyonoma
09-03-2008, 01:11 AM
I'm not that great at the mathcraft really, but basically I'd say the magic # would largely depend on the amount of armor the opponent has. The closer you get to 0 the higher gains you get from having ArP.

but at early gearing you lack a lot of stats in general. ArP yields % gains to your damage due to the nature of Armor Mitigation. If you can't hit for a baseline # for which your % gains from ArP outscale the same itemization spent in say STR or Crit, then factoring ArP won't make sense.

I think for pvp purposes cracking the 1300-1450 AP mark with 30% crit will be the first big hurdles, once you have those #s then you basically can't go wrong. It really plays to your individual style. more crit means you hit harder more often and offset people's resilience but your crits are already nerfed by the damage reduction from crits by resilience. You could stack more AP/Str to increase your base damage which is always gonna show gains but at a linear rate. ArP is on a polynomial rate which starts off low (below AP/Str) but at some point will pass it. I just think having Axes will be good because it's hard early on to get both AP and Crit upgrades in leaps and bounds, getting 5% free crit means he can focus on AP for now.

As for a sweet spot, it changes from class to class. up against a clothy? 20-25% sounds amazing because you basically drop em to 0 armor. But leather and mail classes? you might need to climb closer to the 40% mark, and of course, against plate wearers, ArP shows the least gains because in order for you to approach zero you'd need enormous amounts (50%+) of ArP.

Dark_Lenre
09-04-2008, 04:02 AM
Update:

I got the 2h sword... and...
Wow!!
I was so frustrated from loosing to clueless players that simply outgeared me.. my dps can cut trough now.. and the burst from sword spec is amazing!
So i'm really starting to win!
Anyway if i get focused from a dps team my druid really need to push with the heals to keep me up... and with a mage/rogue we simply cant win... to much damage on my little druid and i'm ALWAYS cc'ed :(
Really don't know how to counter that poly-poly-poly-blind-ecc murdering combo..
Armor time now! Tx for all the answers.. Ohh! Kazey how are u doing in the s4?

Kazeyonoma
09-04-2008, 09:15 AM
against double dps it's alla bout surviving the cooldowns. once they blow cooldowns and you two are still alive and well, it's your game. put on a shield and reflect whatever damage or poly you can, line of sight as best as you can, trinket the 10 second polymorph and put the hurt on the mage, and keep the rogue hamstrung, you're not trying to two shot people in this fight, you want to keep yourselves alive and put out damage throughout the fight. whirlwind a lot, sweeping strikes when rage permits, try to put the hurt on em without having to sacrifice your mobility and your defense. Just keep playing it slow, and you'll win. I've won against rogue/mage teams without ever pulling out my 2hander, just sword and board em both down.

S4 is going okay, went to 1985 this past weekend but then ran into BM hunter, Elemental Shaman in resto gear, and Shadow priest. They were mostly PvE geared with random pvp mixed in, and they were basically rofl stomping my W/R/D team, they'd just choose me or the druid, hit Beastial Wrath/The Beast Within and drop one of us dead. We ended the night at 1923 and now the rogue has graduate school exams so we're on hiatus for at least a week or two. Hopefully I can break 2050 before 3.0 comes out! ;]

Narshe
09-05-2008, 04:04 AM
I've started doing arena for two weeks now. I'm almost at 1600 rating but found a druid yesterday and I hope both would jump at least to 1800 rat.
Atm I'm wearing Tier6 chest, legs, shoulders and head with a Cataclysm Edge, the rest is honor gear. What do you think I should get:
- Grab the S4 chest right away?
- Wait till S4 helm?
- Save for S3 mace? or wait if we can manage to 2k rat and grab a S4 right away? In that case what weapon would you get? Sword or mace? I'm doing 2v2 and 3v3 mostly.

Btw I'm at 2100 arena points.

Thx for your answers and sorry for usurping your thread

Dark_Lenre
09-05-2008, 05:07 AM
This is not my thread! I'm glad if this could be usefull to other players!
So go ahead! Every player can ask here instead of posting loads of new threads all for the same thing...

I can answer only for the weapon part of the question..
The mace will give you a sort of cc wich in 2v2 and 3v3 can win you a match.. chain procs can be really awesome! (And with your lvl of gear and teams i think it's the better spec).
The sword spec instead will give you pure burst damage...
I use that to compensate for my lack of gear :\
Im using a sword atm and i've literally obliterated players with some really nice Crit/Crit from the spec.
I miss that cc anyway.. REALLY.. (druid catched out of bear form cc'ed by the mace proc!!! ARGH!!)
I've little experience but this is what i think.
Sorry for the bad english as always ^^

P.s.: Oh and remember: If the dps of a 2v2 team is dead, unequip your weapon and punch the healer to death while your druid dance in tree form!! (skill unarmed first is a good idea) :P

Kazeyonoma
09-05-2008, 09:36 AM
I'd grab the s4 gear first since you already have a really good weapon, cat's edge will take you for quite a while, but you can do what I did and just see how it goes, bank your points for a bit, and see how some good attempts go with your druid. If you break 1800 easily or whatever than go ahead and grab the s3 weapon, but if it felt like you could honestly make a run to 2050, by all means go for the s4. The gear as much as it is important for your survival, the t6 stuff lets you hit like a dump truck, and having swords combined with that makes you a wrecking ball. It's a different strategy for sure for druid/war, it'll be hard once you start running into double dps teams where they can drop you hard while your druid spams hots and doesn't save you. You gear set up is more geared towards a paladin strangely enough, but it might work.

Narshe
09-05-2008, 09:51 AM
Thx for ur answers, you have been of great help ^^

Daimon
09-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Is it viable to do 2v2 with tanking gear in tanking spec w an omgdps rogue? Or I will slow him down? I don't want to respec pvp spec and already i'm hard to kill w high stam and avoidance. Is this doable?