PDA

View Full Version : Decent Gear to start kara?

sorani
08-31-2008, 03:04 PM
i keep seeing that the stats needed to tank kara are as shown:

490 or higher defense
12k hp or higher
dodge/parry/block about 30% together

im aware of the many enchants to obtain before hand
such as the stamina enchants and gems. also the weapon enchants like mongoose for example.

and there are many lists of gear, but im looking for some input as to if the bold armor set was acceptable to start taking kara?

id appreciate your more experienced input.
thanks

Gravy
08-31-2008, 03:06 PM
The bold shoulders are the best shoulders you can get pre-kara from what I remember, the rest of the bold items have better equivalents if I remember correctly.

Turmoil
08-31-2008, 04:02 PM
Get the felsteel set. Don't stress about weapon enchants unless you have the Sun Eater, which deserves an enchant. Make sure you have a fairly decent shield (at least the Platinum Shield of the Valorous (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=27887) or Aegis of the Sunbird (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=28316). Generally the stuff that looks like green T2 plate has better stats on it than the Bold set.

Take a look at this wowhead filter I just created: Plate Armor - Items - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?items=4.4&filter=qu=3;minrl=62;maxrl=70;cr=50:23;crs=5:5;crv =1:1#0-3+1) - Lots of fairly decent stuff in there; remember you can socket stuff differently which is why I didn't filter for def rating.

I think the dodge/parry combined should be ~30%, not dodge/parry/block combined. Remember you can buff up with major agi elixirs & 20 agi food to up your avoidance.

sorani
09-01-2008, 01:09 PM
hmm, so felsteel set, shoulderguards of the bold, im thinking these are both good, jade-skull breastplate and vindicator's hauberk, Sha'tari Wrought Armguards, Sha'tari Vindicator's Waistguard, Sha'tari Wrought Greaves. and the shield Crest of the Sha'tar is worth getting in my opinion. and of course some rings and trinkets, i've looked up this gear, is it worth getting in your opinion?

Tatt
09-01-2008, 01:11 PM
Get the SSO shield, much better than shatar or any heroic drop shields, better than impenetrable darkness IMO. Or grind honor for S2 shield, ton of stam and armor.

sorani
09-01-2008, 03:22 PM
thanks for that input, the SSO rep isnt to hard to obtain from what i hear, though i could be wrong lol

sorani
09-01-2008, 03:48 PM
ok, before obtaining the sun eater, what are some good weapons for tanks attainable from lvl 66 up to 70?

Manduil
09-01-2008, 04:01 PM
I used the Crystal Blade of the Draeni**(think thats its name...spellings wrong of course) with an old school crusader enchant, for a LOOONG time. got lucky on drops n got the Kings Defender from the chess event, shortly after starting kara.

sorani
09-01-2008, 04:13 PM
i was just looking at that like 10 minutes ago too lol. im pretty sure, that will do, since im still workin up to 70. and as for the enchant, crusader seems a bit outdated, im behind on the new enchants, what are some of the new ones available?

~Luffie~
09-02-2008, 09:21 AM
I remember using the SSO sword for a bit (only need revered rep) for a while before I got my Sun Eater. This is really easy to get if you do your SSO dailies religiously. Don't forget as suggsted earlier the shield from SSO is an awesome pre-kara shield.

Leytur
09-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Check out the Pre-Kara gear thread on these very forums. All you need to know.

S2 shoulders > Bold and easier to get.

sorani
09-06-2008, 10:52 AM
thanks for all the input you guys =] i really do appreciate it

Manduil
09-08-2008, 08:08 AM
ont that lvl of gear it(crusader) actually fits well. once you get into the kings defender and mallet of the tides mongoose all the way.

the sso sword is actually better than sun eater, and the sheild is beautiful up until kaz hardened heart

Healemeorwipe
09-09-2008, 09:31 AM
I went to wow-loot.com to find prot gear for kara. This is how I geared my character pre-kara it's a great site and it will help you to pinpoint gear options for slots that you're unsure of. :)

Marcius
09-15-2008, 05:11 PM
Sha'tari Wrought Greaves.

The Flesh Beast's Metal Greaves are far superior and are easy to obtain from a normal Mana Tombs run.

dodge/parry/block about 30% together

actually what you should aim for is 30-40% avoidance which is the sum of your Dodge, Parry and chance to be missed.

Your chance to be missed is 5% (base chance) + the increase in chance to be missed you receive from defense (hover over defense on your character sheet to see what your chance to be missed has increased by)

12k hp or higher

I think 12k HP is the figure quoted assuming you have approx 12k armour also - your HP and armour combine to work out your effective health (EH) its worth reading the article in the resources about EH and then plugging your stats into the EH calculator to see where abouts you are.

Also keep in mind these are suggested starting stats - if you have really good healers you may get away with a little less, conversely if your healers are undergeared you may need a bit more.

GL & HF

Dismember
09-22-2008, 07:10 AM
ok, before obtaining the sun eater, what are some good weapons for tanks attainable from lvl 66 up to 70?

Grom'tor's Charge

Turelliax
09-22-2008, 08:39 AM
Grom'tor's Charge

I used this until I got my sword from SSO rep. Loved it and it is pretty.. just a long damn questline in Shadowmoon valley.

veneretio
09-22-2008, 08:42 AM
The bold shoulders are the best shoulders you can get pre-kara from what I remember, the rest of the bold items have better equivalents if I remember correctly.
S2 Shoulders are better than Bold.

OP: Those stats listed are what you should strive for.