PDA

View Full Version : Am I ready for tanking A'lar's adds?

dawnrose
08-28-2008, 01:15 AM
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Frostwhisper&n=Dawnrose)

My guild master says I got too little hp, and I do indeed don't have amazing hp compared to the other tanks in my guild. But can it be done? We normally do tier 6 content.
I have solotanked Karazhan three times now and I have tanked Zul'Aman without much troubles, maintanked the bird boss(the one with the storm), tanked nalorakk in his troll form and offtanked the rest of the mobs. Solo tanked the trash on the way towards lynx boss, except the packs inside boss room.
Still got part of my healing gear equipped atm so I'll say what else I got: got badge cloak with defense enchant on it, voiley eye exalted ring, 60 badge ring(dodge), trinkets: Figurine of the Colossus that drops from kargath in shattered halls(passive shield block rating+use:heal on block) and Dabiri's Enigma(passive defense+use:shield block rating increase). Belt is Belt of the Guardian with 2 15 stamina gems in it. As for librams, I got both the libram for holy shield and consecration. Have enough badges to buy libram for seal if needed.
All that combined I got around 13.6k hp unbuffed, but with good avoidance and good spell damage. Kings not included.
This paladin tank is my alt.

jere
08-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Well, the thing is, you can't compare it to tanking a boss or even ZA trash for that matter.

These guys are a whole different animal. They blow you across the room sometimes if you are not careful and you spend a lot of time running around going after them (in phase 2 at least). I don't know what the required HP is, but I was able to do it pretty decently at 16k HP after you count Fort+Gift+BoK. You can't really rely on Commanding Shout or Bloodpact.

So if you can hit 16k, then I know from experience you are good. I wouldn't worry about avoidance so much. Their standard attacks aren't much to worry about, it is the explosions you have to watch. They do heavy damage and can launch you away from your healer if they happen at inopportune times. Focus on Stamina and Spell Dmg for them. I used 2 stamina trinkets until I got enough stamina on my gear to swap one out to a spell dmg trinket.

I have never tried an FR set on them, so I don't know if it helps or not, but that might also be an option.

dawnrose
08-29-2008, 02:11 AM
Well, the thing is, you can't compare it to tanking a boss or even ZA trash for that matter.

These guys are a whole different animal. They blow you across the room sometimes if you are not careful and you spend a lot of time running around going after them (in phase 2 at least). I don't know what the required HP is, but I was able to do it pretty decently at 16k HP after you count Fort+Gift+BoK. You can't really rely on Commanding Shout or Bloodpact.

So if you can hit 16k, then I know from experience you are good. I wouldn't worry about avoidance so much. Their standard attacks aren't much to worry about, it is the explosions you have to watch. They do heavy damage and can launch you away from your healer if they happen at inopportune times. Focus on Stamina and Spell Dmg for them. I used 2 stamina trinkets until I got enough stamina on my gear to swap one out to a spell dmg trinket.

I have never tried an FR set on them, so I don't know if it helps or not, but that might also be an option.
I think I got 16k with those buffs, but if not, I can use a shattrath flask of fortification(will use it anyway) to increase my health. I have have a FR-set(I can get to max FR if I want to) but it really lowers my avoidance by a lot.

jere
08-29-2008, 05:57 AM
Don't worry about avoidance so much on the birds. Their explosions are the only meaningful damage and you can't avoid them (only resist them).

Also, the more HP's you can get the better. I did it at 16k my first time, so I know that is safe enough, however, there is a lot to be said for higher HP's in that encounter. It gives you more breathing room.