PDA

View Full Version : T6 MT Progression

Lionides
08-27-2008, 05:45 AM
Hi guys

Pls bare with my nubness but I need some advice pls :)

Currently my guild has started moving into MH and BT and we have downed Rage , Anatheron and Kaz in MH and in BT we have downed Nejentus , Supremus and Shade of Akama . I am MT of the guild and obviously I would love to not only give my healers a good chance of keeping me up but my dps'ers max chance to do optimal damage .

Now I don't know how to do the linky thingy but here goes :

From T6 content I have :
1) Pepe's Shroud (Cloak)
2) Shoulders from Supremus .

With this I have ALL gear from T5 , Za , Kara , old badge vendor and new badge vendor .

Now my question is :

What is 1) the best boss tanking setup I can put together , 2 ) best trash tanking setup and 3) atm I am using stam in blue , agil and stam in red and hit rat in yellow sockets ....is this effective ?

Atm I have about 16100 unbuffed HP 17500 armor and 54% avoidance ( 29% block , 18% parry , 24% dodge ) other stats are ( 138 hit rat , and 22 expertise if I use the ZA tanking weapon ) in my current standard tanking setup .

So yes I am asking from head to toe gear outlay suggestions :)

Any advise would be greatly appreciated :D

Lionides ( Bloodhoof )

Satrina
08-27-2008, 05:56 AM
1) That will vary from boss to boss.

2) Aim for 95 hit, 23 expertise, then whatever SBV you can fit in. 19-20k health buffed ought to be fine for any trash you will come across in MH/BT/Sunwell.

3) Gemming is a whole other discussion. If are making 20k health buffed, then it doesn't matter much how you gem. If not, you should probably gem stamina to make sure you get 20k in your boss sets. Don't gem for hit, there's plenty of loot with hit itemised on it that you can get from drops or badges.

(If you're asking advice on tank gear, linking your armoury is a nice touch so people don't have to go searching... and don't log out in your dps gear!)

Lionides
08-27-2008, 06:31 AM
Thnx for the advice :)

Yeah I am Fury atm for a day or 2 as I have had 2 nights off raiding :) will be back to prot spec for MH tomorrow night .

As for the armory link .......pleaaaaase tell me how ( said I was a nub )

Satrina
08-27-2008, 06:57 AM
Just paste the link in and it will become clickable when you post.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bloodhoof&n=Lionides)

Odiin
08-27-2008, 11:23 PM
I'm in BT too atm so if u can give me some suggestion about the gear , enchants ( leave the shoulders they are crap one :))

LittleMan
08-28-2008, 12:13 AM
How to link armory..

Go to The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/) Type in your name in the bar make sure it is clicked to search armory or charictars.. that option is to the left of the spot you type your toons name in.

If there are multiple players on several realms thats hare your name all will appear on the list when you hit search.

Find the one that shares your realm and guild click it. Upon confirming it is indeed you go up to the top of your window highlight the pages web adress.. double click the address till it all goes blue or click the beginning hold down left key while dragging to the right till you see no more white being highlighted. Once it is highlighted let go of left mouse key place mouse over the highlighted text and right click then copy then right click in this post and click paste..

Now about Bt gear. When I first entered I had mostly badge gear loaded up with stam gems. I have upgraded a couple pieces but stick to gemming with stam gems because we only have the first 3 bosses on farm and gorefiend is still kicking our ass from one week to the next.

The minimums Satrina suggested seem on target to me. for the first 3-4 bosses.

Odiin
08-28-2008, 12:52 AM
there is my armory link
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Magtheridon&n=Odiin)

Lionides
08-28-2008, 12:59 AM
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bloodhoof&n=Lionides)

Wooohooo , it worked :)

thnx guys

Ok this is my armory , I will be back to prot tonight and wil try log out in my standard tanking boss fight gear .

My questions are aimed at things like : between commendation of kaelthas , GAB , moroes pocket watch or armani artifact parry trinket ....which 2 should I use for bosses and which for trash in T6 content , and stuff like wich bracers ..anchient phalanx or Void reavers bracers ...differ on trash and bosses ...... Which chest is better for what , ZA chest or new badge chest ....etc etc etc :)

on the gems ...would I get better threat with 142 hit cap HR or is there not a worth while differnce from 95 to 142 .....is agility a good stat and what should be my BT clearing MT aimed unbuffed HP ?

I know its alot of questions but any advice would be really apprecited :)

Lio

Satrina
08-28-2008, 04:53 AM
standard tanking boss fight gear
Yuck.

Let's go again...

For trash: 95 hit, 23 expertise, 19k health buffed, then whatever SBV you can get. Doesn't matter, don't care how you combine gear to get that. (Littleman: I was talking only about tanking trash with these numbers)

Against trash 142 hit will not get you better threat than 95 threat, because you only need 95 hit to cap against level 72. You need 142 for level 73 mobs, but you are not prioritising hit against every boss you tank - some fights do not need maximum threat generation. Also, remember that until you remove dodge from the mob's combat table (26 expertise for bosses), expertise is twice as good as hit for threat generation. After 26, expertise is as good as hit until you cap it (57 or so). That's expertise skill, not rating. And expertise gives some damage reduction in reduced parries incoming to you. If you have no idea what I'm talking about here, take some time and go reading in the TankSpot Library (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/tankspot-library/) and Evil Empire Guides (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/evil-empire-guides/) - there are articles on threat, threat generation, and hit/expertise there.

Gemming for hit is usually a bad idea. Agility is not as good as defense or dodge for gemming.

For bosses: What you wear depends on the boss. 142 hit is a good idea for RoS phase 3 and Teron Gorefiend because they are threat races. You don't care about threat stats very much for Mother (your DPS is in shadow gear so it's like Molten Core DPS all over again) or Bloodboil (avoidance all the way to minimise acidic wound stacking).

You're not going to get specific gear recommendations, because they won't do you any good. Only you know what gear you have in your bags beyond what we see in the armoury. I have no idea if you have Myrmidon's Treads, so how can I possibly tell you to wear them? In any case, an important part of your job is now choosing what gear to wear for a fight.

In general, here's how I prioritise gear for BT bosses
(Every gear set starts at 20k health raid buffed)

Naj'entus: Balance between avoidance and threat stats
Supremus - MT: High EH, then avoidance, then threat stats
Supremus - OT: Highest EH I can manage, then as much avoidance as possible (threat is irrelevant)
Akama: Trash threat, since no mob is higher than level 72. (Some people mix in DPS gear)
Teron: Maximum threat stats, then EH. Absolutely minimal avoidance
RoS: Maximum threat stats
Bloodboil: Maximum avoidance, then EH, then threat
Mother - MT: Mixed high stamina and avoidance, don't care about threat stats
Mother - OT: Mixed high stamina and avoidance, a little bit of SR (150ish)
Council - Gathios: High EH, then avoidance. Threat is mostly irrelevant since spell reflecting judgement will give you far and away more threat than you need
Illidan MT - High avoidance, then threat
Illidan FlameTank - High FR, then threat

With all of that said, those setups are what I have figured out as optimal for me tanking with my healers and DPS standing beside me. I have no idea what your raid's other members are like in terms of skill and output - but you do. Learning how to look at how a boss damages you then choosing the right gear for the fight is one of the important skills you need to master.

Sure, you can go and make The One Boss Gear Set, and you'll eventually win because everyone will work with what you give them. Choosing the right gear so that DPS can do more damage, and healing needs to do less healing makes a difference. It means that the learning curve is reduced because you're doing your part to the best of your ability. Knowing when you don't need to worry as much about threat stats means you can work more to mitigating and avoiding damage - for fights with raid-wide damage, it means that healing you don't need can go to others.

How much threat stats do you need? Look at Omen 2/3 of the way through the fight. If you have 100,000 more threat than the nearest DPS, you're wearing too much. If the top 5 DPS are on your tail, you're wearing too little (or your threat rotation sucks)

How's your choice of EH/avoidance? Ask your healers. "I changed up to add more avoidance and less EH this time - was it easier or harder to heal me?"

Ultimately, it comes down to this: you want to have more than one gear set. Some people go with a set of three for bosses (Survival/Avoidance/Threat) and then trash threat. Others get a lot more detailed and have specific sets for specific bosses (for example: http://evilempireguild.org/misc/gearsets.jpg). How you choose do to it is up to you, but the important thing to take away from all of this is: Different gear for different fights.

Lionides
08-29-2008, 12:58 AM
Thank you Satrina :)

Really apreciate the effort you did in your post and.....advice noted :)

Lio