PDA

View Full Version : Hey All, New & looking for Suggestions

KMcA6107
08-26-2008, 01:18 PM
Hi all! Just found this site, and I have to say quite a great knowledge-base here. Anyway, I'm looking to up my gear and stats to be ready for heroics...in particular my threat.

The server is relatively new, and has just opened up (yesterday) to incomming transfers, other than that, it being a new server, I've had to deal with a lot of "lackluster" Pugs, where it seems I can't finish a darn instance.

The usual things, after I pull but before I make contact hunter and mage start spamming fire (mage), and arcane shots (hunter). Hunters with growl not turned off and pet on defensive instead of passive. Healers will go "afk" right after a pull (had been asked if all was ready before and all responded yes), and not a single heal being thrown off. Or the priest after multiple wipes says "gee, maybe I ought to put on my healing gear!" (wtf?!)

Anyway, of course, I'm blamed for not holding aggro, then the usual (well, my paladin tank guild mate can do it). I end up leaving the group. /rant off

Wooh, sorry about that. Sugar rush.

Anyway, with luck it'll get better and I'll actually be able to finish a few instances.

I'm looking at a few things from the Dungeon Set3..Mostly the Pauldrons, The Breastplate. I'm not sure what else I need to get? Any help appreciated! Thanks Again

Link to my armory: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Cairne&n=Darlastar)

dirt
08-27-2008, 05:30 AM
I'd suggest checking out Berg's Tank Gear Ratings post in the Gear List & Rating section.

It has a complete list of easily obtainable gear, much of which you can obtain from quests that would boost you greatly for entry level.

For your chest, just keep going with your Aldor rep and get the Vindicator's Hauberk

You already have Inuuro from SSO, get to exalted and you can get Shattered Sun Pendant of Resolve & Dawnforged Defender

Those few upgrades will boost you up alot.

Caireagin
08-27-2008, 06:41 AM
Your spec needs some work as well. http://www.tankspot.com/forums/warrior-reference/37138-protection-warrior-talents.html will give you an idea of how you should spec.

KMcA6107
08-27-2008, 09:35 AM
Much appreciated everyone! Again, thanks so much. I pretty much knew I hosed my speccing...but I didn't want to touch it without a really knowledgeable group of people's suggestions.

Seems there is just so much info, and it's all over the place. I'm glad I came here to get an objective point of view! Thanks so much for your help!

I've been looking at that breastplate on the Aldors side...just need to finish instances to up the rep.

Again can't say it enough! Thanks so much!

KMcA6107
09-22-2008, 08:23 AM
Ok,

I'm back, Could I get a check to see how we are now? Did a heroic (my first) this weekend. Didn't go well, mostly because the healer thought it was funny to /dance instead of throwing out heals.

However, I did OT Kara in a PuG the other night. MT'd Midnight myself, and it did go relatively well. No tank gear dropped *sigh*

Anywhoo! Thanks again for your expertise & knowledge everyone!

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Cairne&n=Darlastar)

p.s. I did get that Pendant of Resolve from SSO...but felt the neck I'm wearing now is better suited for the +Def. Am I wrong in thinking this?

KMcA6107
09-24-2008, 09:54 AM
bump?

dirt
09-24-2008, 10:33 AM
Well I'm not nearly as experienced as some here, so take this with a bit of salt. But, personally I think you'd be better off with SSO neck. That is if you can afford to loose the little bit of def the other necklace offers you. Your going to gain +8 STA, +13 hit, +18 expertise, plus the proc when it happens.

Veneretio wrote a good article as it relates to SSO vs. Brooch of Deftness (http://www.tankingtips.com/2008/04/11/sso-neck-vs-brooch-of-deftness/)

Although in your case your Aldor and not Scryer. IMHO, it's still a much better neck overall than the one you currently have. The +17 def you lose could be made up by other gear choices. Such as belt, rings or trinkets.

Couple of things you might consider looking into are:

1. Sha'tari Vindicator's Waistguard - Got from quest: How to Break into Arcatraz

2. Glyph of the Defender - Got from Revered status with Keepers of Time for you helm

3. Various quest/instance rings & trinkets: Dabiri's Enigma comes to mind. As well as if you've started Kara already, Violet Signet once you reach friendly with them.

Hope that helps a bit.

Dunkealme
09-24-2008, 11:15 AM
nice stuff, dirt.

I would also suggest the brewfest boss drop [Coren's Lucky Coin] (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=38289) which is easy to get. It dropped 3 times for mee last night, and I would replace your Runed fungalcap with it.

Kaioken
09-24-2008, 11:16 AM
I have a few suggestions for you to think about as you start gearing yourself out.

You must remember that when you are tanking encounters that you are undergeared for, effective health tanks (tanks that itemize for health and armor) in MOST situations will survive better than an all avoidance tank (tanks that itemize for dodge/parry/defense rating). Keep this in mind as you are tanking things in Karazhan that give you a lot of trouble and when you start progressing onto further instances where you might not quite have the gear for it. To help you decide what would be good for you, I would take a look at this post:

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/warrior-reference/37020-raid-zone-minimums.html
TankSpot - Calculator (http://www.tankspot.com/index.php?pageid=Calculator)

Right now, your glyph on your helm is OK because you need the health, but once you start getting heroic epics and Karazhan epics, you're going to want to get Glyph of the Defender. This means you need to run A LOT of Black Morass and Old Hillsbrad to get Revered for this glyph. It's one of those things that you have to do, so get busy on it! Also, if you know that you won't be replacing some of your gear anytime soon, I would start putting rare quality gems in the sockets. Definitely get +18 stamina to your shield. You will not replace that gun until Black Temple, so I would definitely put the best gem in that. Start thinking about a +12 dodge rating or +12 defense rating enchant to your cloak too.

One gear suggestion: If you feel like doing the chain of quests and you feel like Moroes will not drop the girdle, look up on Thottbot on how to obtain Sha'tari Vindicator's Waistguard. Overall you have done what few tanks are willing to do which is to actually work for your gear and not expect to get carried through instances by higher geared people, which I do respect you for. You are well on your way!

Paratrooper82
09-30-2008, 09:37 AM
I'm in the same boat here. Although I'm on an older server with many an experienced player(s), I still get many different answers to questions about gear and ways to approach tanking. I'm fortunate enough to be surrounded by older more mature people who understand I'm not a great tank yet, but failing on my end always sucks for me.
I lost interest in my tank a little while ago, and just now started to get that interest back and have been asked to start runnin Kara. So, I've been practicing in places like caverns and Mech, just to get the feeling for him again. I feel I've got alot of work to do on him still as not to let these guildies down, but they think I'm ready now.
Any suggestions would help, and thanx in advance.
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Azjol-Nerub&n=Jaella)

mero12513
09-30-2008, 09:48 AM
With Wrath right around the corner, you simply won't get much farther than you are now as far as progression goes. Even still, the current way to improve your gear happens to be the best way to get used to tanking as well.

Tank about a billion heroics. Gather 500 badges if you can (slightly arbitrary really high number). Honestly, I'd focus on gathering some Protection leveling gear for wrath as your top priority. That is, get block value gear. Farstrider Defender's Cloak and the autoblocker will do you well both now and in the future. Pick up the autoblocker copy from the brewfest boss NOW before the event ends on the 3rd.

In short, just keep tanking. You won't see any non-obvious upgrades or have any major decisions to make. Get comfortable with the idea that Shield Slam is going to rock your socks off, and be prepared to tank as many things as possible on your way to 80.