PDA

View Full Version : Tank Question

windstorm
08-23-2008, 09:59 AM
I'm having problems with generating enough threat. I use Sheild Slam, devastate, revenge, etc... Is it my gear and does Hit rate or Weap Ex have anything to do with it. Would you mind looking at my gear/spec and tell me what changes I need to make. Also, currently have 100 badges and can't decide on which badge gear to chose from, looking at the chest or legs as best options.The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Sen%27jin&n=Windstorm)

Tatt
08-23-2008, 10:02 AM
Post your armory and I would be happy to :)

windstorm
08-24-2008, 10:35 PM
okay...hope that posted right

windstorm
08-26-2008, 07:07 AM
Just wanted to mention that my guild can clear Gruuls and we are hoping to go to Mag, we have gotten the first two bosses in ZA but not much progress past that. We are just a casual raiding guild. So, thats why I'm thinking the badge chest plate, since I have a chance at the legging in Gruuls.

Shortypop
08-26-2008, 07:30 AM
Take the points out of imp shield bash and into imp sunder armour, more rage saved means more heroic strikes. Your hit isnt that bad, spicy talbuk is a nice easy option for an extra boost if you need it. Maybe max out imp bloodrage as well for an extra bit of rage, one point out of imp taunt would be my suggestion.

+threat on gloves is an option.

Btw, how do you know you've got threat problems, dps complaining? Might help us give some more tips if we know a bit more - is it on trash, bosses, rage starved or swimming in rage?

Caireagin
08-26-2008, 07:34 AM
If you're concerned with threat, I'd pick up Sunguard Legplates over Chestplate of Stoicism. Expertise is your best threat stat until you hit the dodge cap(27 expertise I believe?). At that point it is equal to hit rating.

I'd also work on picking up either King's Defender or Quickening Blade of the Prince.

As for your talents, I'd recommend dropping Imp Shield bash to max out Imp Sunder Armor.

windstorm
08-26-2008, 07:56 AM
On bosses, I fight like a madwomen trying to keep my aggro level higher than dps'ers and then I watch another tank from another guild....get his so high nobody can catch up to him. When I talked to him, he said my hit rate was to low so I changed my cape and trinket for the hit rating(sufficing stam, armor), expertise and got those spicy talbuk treats but seems like I'm missing something. I'm alittle affraid not to get the chest, since my chances of ever getting better are low, and working for 100 is a beetchh. Thank you for the advice, I will give those a try! And yea, been in kara several times and the few times the Kings dropped I didn't get it, but will keep working on it! ty again!

Satrina
08-26-2008, 08:03 AM
Worth reading if you haven't yet: http://www.tankspot.com/forums/tankspot-library/35313-generating-threat.html

Ukk
08-26-2008, 08:37 AM
Yes, adjust your talents - working Heroic Strikes into your rotation is of paramount importance. That is probably why the other tank is "taking off" once s/he has agro. (Okay that is speculation but it makes sense.) I am the 3rd warrior tank in terms of seniority in our guild, which means I am an OT in progression, so I like to run with 12/5/44 which helps max rage and threat output. 12/5/44 link. (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/warrior/talents.html?3500030100000000000000005000000000000 00000002055511033000103501351) Also when you lose aggro and are having rage problems use Intervene to take some hits and generate some rage.

Edit: even if you are main tanking I would get rid of Imp. Shield Bash and Imp. Defensive Stance, you don't need them at your progression. Also most bosses are not tauntable, which is why I don't fool with Imp. Taunt. YMMV.

For specific gear suggestions, I offer the following:

Craft Blazefury. A great threat weapon that is t5 equivalent; chant it with Executioner. There is NO other reason to have blacksmithing as a tank. NONE. Go train up another gathering profession or maybe engineering if you don't want to make the sword. Really.

Replace your meta-gem with Eternal Earthstorm Diamond for the extra threat from SS.

Use Dawnforged Defender in place of Nightbane's shield, except when you REALLY need the defense. Know that you can drop your defense a bit when fighting level 72/71 bosses.

Enchant your gloves with 2% threat.

Your next badge purchase should be the belt and the bracers, which you nearly have the badges for, and only then go for the legs. (Check out the badge pick order (http://www.tankingtips.com/2008/04/09/the-badge-pick-order-24-edition/) and maybe move the legs up past the ring since you are worried about threat.)

Buy the plans and craft Red Havoc Boots, but this is lower priority than the above.

Voila, you will be a threat machine as long as your rotation is fairly sound.

Calamity
08-26-2008, 08:39 AM
On bosses, I fight like a madwomen trying to keep my aggro level higher than dps'ers and then I watch another tank from another guild....get his so high nobody can catch up to him. When I talked to him, he said my hit rate was to low so I changed my cape and trinket for the hit rating(sufficing stam, armor), expertise and got those spicy talbuk treats but seems like I'm missing something. I'm alittle affraid not to get the chest, since my chances of ever getting better are low, and working for 100 is a beetchh. Thank you for the advice, I will give those a try! And yea, been in kara several times and the few times the Kings dropped I didn't get it, but will keep working on it! ty again!

Do an honest gear comprison with him. Is he vastly out-threating you because he is way ahead on progression?
He may be sandbagging it.

I would say suneater is the bottom of the barrel as far as threat generation for the tanking weapons in its iLevel range, so you need to hope to get another as your main weapon. When you get a new weapon, get Executioner on it instead of mongoose.

Craft [Blazefury]. A great threat weapon that is t5 equivalent; chant it with Executioner. There is NO other reason to have blacksmithing as a tank. NONE.

Actually the benefits of blacksmithing for a tank are very shortlived. To tell the truth I got more mileage out of the Bulwark of Ancient Kings( I don't know how to link items : ( ) than I did from weapons, but with badge gear i would say none of the items will last very long in your arsenal. But if oyu are unlucky with weapons The sword is excellent for threat.