PDA

View Full Version : Teron Gorefeind and crushing blows

LittleMan
08-21-2008, 09:12 PM
I'm really disapointed in my performance tonight while working with my guild on gorefeind.

My gear is made up of mostly badge and za gear although I do have my T6 gloves and the boots off of akama.
Long story short I made a big jump from T4 content to T6 and have missed out on alot of the natural growing experience so I tend to slip up alot due to nervousness.

I have recorded combat logs for 10 attempts tonight and out of 10 attempts ranging from 1 minute 39 seconds to 6 minutes 41 seconds I took 41 crushings.
I've been sitting here looking at the logs for each attempt and I see a few times where I failed to activate shield block but more times then not I'm seeing that my shield block charges are being burned before the CD ends.

I will take this information as the clear indication to switch to gear offering more avoidance.

I realize the mistake in gear choice and thats easy enough to correct. But I admit it makes me a bit gun shy to keep facing this boss as the mt.
We have downed this boss but only once before. The major issue for us is the constructs as many raid members have yet to become comfortable with them. That remained the bigger issue tonight as well. Either way seeing that many crushings in one night really does make me feel like shit.

Attempt number 9 will haunt me for a long time. Clear as day missed the shield block by 3.5 seconds = fail..

I had some rage starved moments I hope increasing avoidance doesnt increase those occurances. How do you guys gear for this boss? I went in with gear that wouldballance threat and avoidance.

Combat logs
Wow Web Stats (http://wowwebstats.com/2m13pg6pccvzu?fia=x1f74d57&fit=i&bl=23412&fiaa=t&s=165101-169165)

Armory showing gear worn in the fight
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Medivh&n=Repentant)

rustyboy
08-21-2008, 11:03 PM
Keep Shield Block up at all times and make it a priority in your rotation. One crush sneaking through every minute or so should not be a problem for your healers, make sure your OT is keeping Thunderclap/Demo Shout up. If constructs are getting into the raid the guild needs to deal with that first before looking at the tank imo.

As far as gear is concerned I use as much expertise as possible to reduce boss parry flurry. I generally don't use any oh sh!t trinkets for the encounter accept for Commendation of Kael'thas.

I have been crushed and then parry crushed once.. not very nice.

LittleMan
08-21-2008, 11:38 PM
My guild isnt giving me any shit over it. I personally am kicking myself for it. The number of crushings for the attempts just blow me away. I consider myself fairly religious with my shield block and can't for the life of me figure out the missed shield blocks.

As far as an OT, there were none. the pally tanks were in healing gear helping clense and heal. I was doing what I could to maintain a normal threat rotation while being sure to Thunderclap, demo and keep battleshout up. I had a dps warrior in my group but for whatever reason bshout wasnt being kept up so I chose it over comanding.
This boss is not anywhere close to being on farm status, we still have several raid members who have not experiences the constructs at all.

One out of 10 attempts were a direct result of tank death.. One too many though in my opinion. The actual crushing blow didnt kill me.. but the 2 hits that followed did. That followed by the fact I was 3.5 seconds off on shield block.. I just dont know where my head was at for those few seconds.

Sanelora
08-21-2008, 11:49 PM
make sure imp TC is up and you get shield block up as a priority!

oh, and make sure you get your GM to force every-one to play:
ferox_TGSimulator (http://www.ferox-horde.de/feroxtgs2/)

It is a game that makes you kill the constructs ;)
if you can do it in the flash game, you can do it in BT (it is much easier)

remember that to kill them, you only need the AoE shackle and the spirit lance. make sure that they are all equally slowed

Dragaan
08-22-2008, 02:05 AM
Is your raid failing to kill constructs before they reach you? I have noticed a crush or two slip through in the past due to constructs swinging at me and eating my block charges up. If you are keeping shield block up every cooldown, you should take very few crushes from gorefiend.

Nicki
08-22-2008, 02:20 AM
Crushing blows happen you can either carry on and just accept that they will happen (and pop ironshields if you aren't already) or use a pally tank of simmilar gear level (atleast 20k buffed).Though i doubt thats an issue as healing should be there.

With ghosts the ferox simulator is ok but when your in 3d its a tad different slightly easier for some harder for others. Sadly ghosts makes or breaks teron you can heal through them for a little bit but not much.

Gear wise id wear moroes if you have it, if not another clicky as well its another oh shit and you should be using them atleast till people have learned ghosts.

LittleMan
08-22-2008, 02:31 AM
The constructs are definately entering the raid every attempt. I tend to slack on IS pots until I see them heading my way which is kinda useless I know. On attempt number 9 I clearly missed the shield block cool down though so definately my fault I went down less then 2 minutes into the fight. That was the first crushing and last crushing on that attempt. It didnt kill me, it was the 2 attacks that followed that finished me off.

I've ripped apart the combat logs for those 10 attempts and the vast majority of the crushes were a result of my shield block charges being ate through. I've been too busy kicking myself to stop and realize constructs beating on me are the obvious reason for them being used up so fast... duh

You actually just relieved alot of self directed frustration, Thank you.

LittleMan
08-22-2008, 02:45 AM
Crushing blows happen you can either carry on and just accept that they will happen (and pop ironshields if you aren't already) or use a pally tank of simmilar gear level (atleast 20k buffed).Though i doubt thats an issue as healing should be there.

With ghosts the ferox simulator is ok but when your in 3d its a tad different slightly easier for some harder for others. Sadly ghosts makes or breaks teron you can heal through them for a little bit but not much.

Gear wise id wear moroes if you have it, if not another clicky as well its another oh shit and you should be using them atleast till people have learned ghosts.

I'll definately use the monroes trinket till things become more familiar for my fellow raid members. I know theres been a few times constructs have made it in 2-3 at a time and we have managed to pull through and get them down.. once can sometimes be overcome... twice not so likely.

My Gm and raid leaders have strongly advised people to experiment with the flash ghosts but it seem's alot of people underestimate just how much constructs entering the raid can destroy things. We have only downed him once and it was quite the messy kill.. Until then I'm sure they will keep encouraging people to experience the flash ghosts and hopefully enough will catch on through our wipefests to give us a higher chance of downing him each week.
Thanks for your advice.

Kavtor
08-22-2008, 08:22 AM
I tend to slack on IS pots until I see them heading my way which is kinda useless I know.

Terron is the last boss until the Twins in sunwell where crushing blows are a -big deal-. His individual swings hit harder than just about anything in the game. So he can crush really, really hard. I wildly out gear Terron, and I wouldn't dream of not using Ironshield pots 100% of the time on the fight, unless I was trying something silly. The potential for a crush burst still exists. Also make sure you've got 2/5 (or 5/5 with CoR) Improved Demo shout, and Improved Thunder clap. Imp. TC is really important in keeping your shield block charges for as long as possible.

If you're worried about being inconsistent with shield block, odds are you'll find stretches where demo, TC, and pots drop off as well. It's a learning process, but getting as close to 100% up time as possible on all those abilities will really help you out.

Satrina
08-22-2008, 08:59 AM
Without constructs in the raid and thunderclap up, you should be able to go 100% without taking crushes from Teron unless you choose to take one. Just relax and get your rhythm right. And urge your guildmates to take constructs seriously. Your guild leaders will have to start getting tough and replacing people who can't kill their constructs. If people can't take a few minutes to beat the sim (which is actually a bit harder than reality), they don't need to be there.

To help you appropriately mock people who can't be bothered to not suck, here's a little gem one of my guildmates made up:
http://i32.tinypic.com/11jly7k.gif

LittleMan
08-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Without constructs in the raid and thunderclap up, you should be able to go 100% without taking crushes from Teron unless you choose to take one. Just relax and get your rhythm right. And urge your guildmates to take constructs seriously. Your guild leaders will have to start getting tough and replacing people who can't kill their constructs. If people can't take a few minutes to beat the sim (which is actually a bit harder than reality), they don't need to be there.

To help you appropriately mock people who can't be bothered to not suck, here's a little gem one of my guildmates made up:
http://i32.tinypic.com/11jly7k.gif

Haha, thats pretty great..

I'm not really worried about my consistancy with keeping shield block up.. I know I slip up from time to time but I think we all do.. Im certain the constructs are the cause of shield block charges being used up so much.
I'l do my best to keep it up 100% of the time and reexamine gear choice if charges are being used up before cd ends and hope theres no gaps in cds.

I will definately start chugging IS pots 100 % of the time while contining to stay on top of tc's.

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

Grakzul Slaughtbringer
09-03-2008, 01:21 AM
On try 7, for example, I see that Teron parried 57 times, that means he was parryhasted 57 times, this could explain the high number of crushing blows
Be sure you are the only one in front of the boss, and stack expertise, this should dramatically lowers the crushing blows.

Megatrohn
09-03-2008, 01:42 AM
One thing i noticed from attempt 9 is that near the end, Gorefiends attacks came very fast. IIRC, Gorefiend's attack cooldown is 2 seconds (2.4 with Improved TC up). Looking at the combatlog entries around the time you died, however, I see this:
02:48'10.578 Teron Gorefiend attack misses Repentant.
02:48'11.719 Teron Gorefiend attack was dodged by Repentant.
02:48'13.406 Teron Gorefiend attack was dodged by Repentant.
02:48'15.328 Teron Gorefiend attack misses Repentant.
02:48'16.609 Teron Gorefiend melee swing hits Repentant for 11117 Physical. (Crushing)
02:48'16.937 Teron Gorefiend melee swing hits Repentant for 7632 Physical. (404 Blocked)
02:48'18.125 Teron Gorefiend melee swing hits Repentant for 6629 Physical. (404 Blocked)

I didn't note any of your attacks being parried around that time however, so this means that Teron was parry-hasted by one of your physical DPSers.

Invisniper
09-03-2008, 10:49 AM
How do you guys gear for this boss?
Personally I am in my full trash set whenever we do him anymore. Max hit, expertise, 700 something SBV, and around 40% avoidance. If you're still learning the fight and your DPS isn't sticking the threat stick up your butt then I'd gear for avoidance for him.

Satrina
09-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Personally I am in my full trash set whenever we do him anymore. Max hit, expertise, 700 something SBV
You wear maxed hit and expertise for trash? Why?

(Or, you wear the same expertise and hit for Teron that you use on trash? Why gimp your threat generation?)

Daimon
09-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Funny thing is my EH has more hit/expt than my trash set which is my leo set, though SBV is not that high and my SBV set has way less hit/exp and the aggro in both is similar, nice it works. Even though my aggro rate is great in any, i almost tank the whole VR fight by myself.
Enough cocky talking, can any1 link the famous flash constructs test pls?

Alo
09-06-2008, 09:11 AM
There's a link to it on page one, :)

Ioseb
09-06-2008, 12:03 PM
I don't think I have see it here yet but make your hunters do that sting that makes the boss miss 5% more often. I forget the name, I warrior, I dumb.

But basically if you are getting constructs in the raid no amount of shield blocking is going to help. Your raiders need to remove heads from asses before you can hope to down that boss.

Personally, I fight teron in full threat gear and only shield block for the first 15 seconds or so of the fight or when I have 100 rage. Granted we overgear it a little but taking a crushing blow really should not be the end of the world. In fact it's a gear way to get a full rage bar :P

LittleMan
09-08-2008, 05:26 AM
Thanks for all the additional insight and information into the issue.

Megatrohn and Grakzul Thanks for looking closely at the logs, I appreciate it.. Both issues I really need to address. Making sure melee stays behind him and increasing my expertise..

Thanks again guys

Shakari
09-11-2008, 11:38 PM
Is your raid failing to kill constructs before they reach you? I have noticed a crush or two slip through in the past due to constructs swinging at me and eating my block charges up. If you are keeping shield block up every cooldown, you should take very few crushes from gorefiend.

Happened to me that, A construct poking me :S he was on 19% took 2 x 12k crushings as SB ran out early .... very painful, I still blame myself for some reason tho tbh not much I could do to prevent those crushings... bloody constructs lol took one at around 50% but that was healed fine. gutted me we didn't kill him, was our last go for the night *cries* lol

frzn
09-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Personally I am in my full trash set whenever we do him anymore. Max hit, expertise, 700 something SBV, and around 40% avoidance. If you're still learning the fight and your DPS isn't sticking the threat stick up your butt then I'd gear for avoidance for him.

I do this too ;p

juadafi
09-23-2008, 03:56 AM
Making sure melee stays behind him and increasing my expertise..

Gorefiend turns around often during the fight to cast Shadow of Death and Incinerate on random people. It's quite likely that the melee DPS is getting parried when he does this.

To reduce this effect, we played around with tanking the boss in such a way that he was facing the ranged group, so if he targetted a ranged player or a healer (the majority of the raid) wth one of his random abilities, he would not turn himself towards the melee group.

If he targets a melee however, he will expose himself to parries, but there is really nothing you can do to completely eliminate this risk.