PDA

View Full Version : Can a paladin tank Archimonde?

Roderick
08-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Hi,
Our guild is having serious problems taking warriors to raid, so they want to put me tanking archimonde, our priests use The fear ward buff on healers to save them from taking the fear.
My question is:Can a paladin tank Archimonde without taking the fear? Maybe the divine shield Macro and tremor tomem can do the work?
Thanks for your answers.

P.D:Sorry for my horrible English :(

veneretio
08-21-2008, 03:25 PM
Definitely b/c many guilds have used Druids to tank him and they have even less fear escapes. That being said, you will need tremor totem at the very least and you absolutely have to have a DPS Warrior at the very least whether you like it or not for Thunder Clap.

Lacking a warrior though, I'd recommend you consider a Feral Druid tanking him before a Paladin. They'll simply take a whole lot less damage than a Paladin b/c of the lack of Crushing Blows in this encounter.

Lore
08-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Fear ward on healers is unnecessary, so long as they have pvp trinkets. Plus, it's much more efficient to use tremor totem on healers (who aren't going to take big hits to the back if they're feared for 3 seconds) than on the tank.

I think the magic number is 3 priests to keep a constant fear ward rotation up on the tank.

clavarnway
08-21-2008, 08:26 PM
As Lore said we have everybody wearing PVP trinkets and have a rotation for healers to use their trinkets, so there is always 1 healer at least who can heal the MT.

And ofc tremors for the healers.

Worldie
08-22-2008, 06:21 AM
Using bubble to remove fear is extremely dangerous, there's around a 99% chance that for that second you are bubble he'll turn and oneshot a melee.

phaze
08-22-2008, 06:54 AM
Lacking a warrior though, I'd recommend you consider a Feral Druid tanking him before a Paladin. They'll simply take a whole lot less damage than a Paladin b/c of the lack of Crushing Blows in this encounter.
Not true. The avoidance difference comes into play heavily on this fight. Druid will take smaller average hits, but bigger unpredictable burst.

I'm not understanding why Druids will take bigger bursts than Paladins, for this fight. I'd say the avoidance scores are fairly comparable between the three tanks? If that's the case, Druids have a solid EH advantage here.

Chiming in on the main question: yes, Paladins can work, using the methods posted above. If your raid wants better damage mitigation, you could try a Druid. If your raid has problems with fear management, you might try a Warrior, or better Priests. ;)

veneretio
08-22-2008, 07:26 AM
Not true. The avoidance difference comes into play heavily on this fight. Druid will take smaller average hits, but bigger unpredictable burst.

I've tanked this fight, and its surprisingly easy to make work. Use tremor totems in healer groups, and a 3-priest fear ward rotation on the tank.
Hmm... I find that hard to believe, but could be true. I've always heard Druids were ridiculously easy to heal on Archimonde when you had the proper fear escapes for them.

Anyway what it all comes down to is anyone can tank him, but a well played warrior is going to let you abuse fear ward on healers/melee and make the encounter just a little bit easier.

Kavtor
08-22-2008, 08:12 AM
Hmm... I find that hard to believe, but could be true. I've always heard Druids were ridiculously easy to heal on Archimonde when you had the proper fear escapes for them.

Druid's are very good, and easy to heal because the damage is more predictable. But a paladin will probably take less over all damage. I just ran some numbers when an EJ thread started QQing about how druids take far less damage than warriors on Brutallus.

Turns out, I'm taking about 20% less DPS on Brutallus than my (probably better geared) feral druid, and a number of parses from other guilds seemed to back that up. (small sample size, lots of room for differences in geming to change things on that fight) A warrior's probably taking a bit less damage through base skills, and has a bit more avoidance through gear than an equally geared prot pally, but I'd guess that the prot pally takes less over all damage than a bear. Total lack of math though, so feel free to prove me wrong.

A prot pally should be able to tank it just fine. Just make sure you're getting demo shout and thunder clap from somewhere.

Pasch
08-23-2008, 05:58 AM
We kill him every week with a pick up group. We go with whoever tank is there and go with fear wards on him if its not a warrior and we kill him pretty easily.

Paladins take extreme damage from my experience (probably due to lack of demo+TC), their lack of oh-shit buttons are pretty annoying on this fight aswell - but it's doable!

I would recommend a warrior tank if he's a good player, that way you can fearward more useful classes.

Worldie
08-23-2008, 06:47 AM
If you don't have any DPS warrior in the raid and no prot warriors, i'm not surprised the tank takes that much more damage.

Altho i didn't notice any significant change in damage on myself without having demo shout... you know, Warlocks are there for a reason.

Loon
08-23-2008, 06:58 AM
you know, Warlocks are there for a reason.

yeah, being semiafk while spamming SB ;)

but to answer the OP.
paladins can tank it, but aint gonna be as easy if a warrior tanked it.

Worldie
08-23-2008, 11:09 AM
Turns out, I'm taking about 20% less DPS on Brutallus than my (probably better geared) feral druid, and a number of parses from other guilds seemed to back that up. (small sample size, lots of room for differences in geming to change things on that fight) A warrior's probably taking a bit less damage through base skills, and has a bit more avoidance through gear than an equally geared prot pally, but I'd guess that the prot pally takes less over all damage than a bear. Total lack of math though, so feel free to prove me wrong.

A prot pally should be able to tank it just fine. Just make sure you're getting demo shout and thunder clap from somewhere.

Brutallus isn't much a good fight to compare them since holy shield and shahraz libram are extremely op mitigation tools for that fight, blocking almost every hit for ~800 damage makes a huge difference on overall damage taken.

On Archimonde since he's the standard hard hitting Joe, i'd not be surprised to see druids taking less overall damage.