PDA

View Full Version : Tanking Olm

joepalmer27@alltel.net
08-20-2008, 10:05 PM
I was in a Pug and tasked with tanking Olm, along with a warlock. How do I keep him from doing death coil? Stance dance didnt work, and I spent the majority of the time "feared".....

Sanelora
08-20-2008, 10:20 PM
deathcoil isnt a fear, it was changed to a horrify effect cause warlocks cried about how underpowered an instant fear was. that changed all of the mechanics of all death coils (as far as i understand) :p

the best way to do it is drag him miles away from the mage, get two tanks on him and when one gets deathcoiled, the second tank taunts him. the warlock will be enslaving the felpuppies (as you are aware) and i dont think they can be deathcoiled but i am not sure.

Shortypop
08-21-2008, 12:35 AM
Your best bet is two warlocks and two tanks (dps warriors, wearing dps gear and shield work ok too). If the locks enslave and then "tank" Olm, and the "normal" tanks will basically take it in turns to be deathcoiled. Taunting off the felhunters once they are dead works pretty well. With effectively four of you, it means he shouldn't go off after anyone else. Just remind your healer that you will be moving a lot.

Sunderhorn
08-24-2008, 08:38 AM
I know this thread is a few days old, but I thought I'd throw some of my experiences out there. You'll want to LOS olm to the hallway...just make sure you don't duck around the corner until after the Hunter has MD up [learnt that the hard way one time :P].

We always had a single tank on Olm after the changes to fear mechanics [me, unfortantely :P]. Usually a primary healer and another to help with Hots, and of course Warlocks would work out the enslaves.

Anyhoo:

1 - Have a keybind for Shield Slam if you don't already. I'm usually a clicker, but this was one of the fights that forced me to start into keybinds. The reason [as I'm sure you've discovered], is that he will chain-fear, or chain-horrify as it were...you basically have to use the mouse to snap turn and face him while spamming your SS key. Even if you miss a couple of times, you won't lose him to healers or anything.

2 - Make your healer your focus target. Show your healer where to stand in the hallway [usually 20-30 yards back]. Make sure he knows to be < 20 yards from you, but in a line torwards this spot. This will allow you to Intervene back to him if you start getting feared towards butthead [I forget the ogre mages name].

3 - The way Olm kills you with with this stacking DoT, I forget what it's called, bit it will basically start ticking for 2-3k and up. We thought the enslaved Felhounds had an ability that would remove it, but as time went on this became questionable, and I never could get a straight answer out of our locks. Anyhoo, worth remembering. Just try to stay up until the first burn target is down, the raid should be able to handle him after that with or without you.

I forget if Spell Reflect will by you a free attack [his DeathCoil doesn't have a cooldown...typical Lock hax :P]

clavarnway
09-02-2008, 01:44 PM
My main is a Warlock, yes the Felhounds have an ability that removes the dot on them. They also have a Taunt.

They also can be Death Coil'd.

Kaioken
09-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Tanking Olm is just plain annoying.

You definitely need to know where you're tanking him in relation to where Krosh is. Have plenty of room away from him (all the way across the room is best). What we do is just have 2 tanks on Olm. One tank picks up agro, tanks him like normal. As soon as he is death coiled, the other tank taunts off and tanks. Tank 2 gets death coiled, tank 1 picks him up, etc etc. It's just a rotation between taunts. Each tank has to be focused on the other so they can taunt as soon as the other gets coiled.

For groups that do not outgear this instance, I think that would solve tank deaths because when you're coiled, you cannot avoid any of his attacks and the fear does last a while. Just have to make sure your healers are aware that there is a rotation going on between 2 tanks.