PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a new bear tank

Chosenx
08-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Hey guys. Posting this for a guildie of mine who is wanting to know where they can improve their gear, spec or rotation etc. in order to become a decent bear tank.

I know a fair bit about warrior tanking, but druid tanking isn't my thing. So here is a link to his armory:

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Proudmoore&n=Grimmenace)

Anyway so what I am looking for is anything that will help him gear up and become a good tank.

Things that will help are:

1. What gear upgrades should he be looking to get (i know he is very pvp geared atm). Is there a gear guide for druid tanks? I looked and couldn't find one, please link if you know one.

2. Are there any guides/posts that he should check out to learn how to optimise his rotation etc. (have linked him to the one druid guide on tankspot already).

3. What changes (if any) should be made to his spec?

4. Anything else in the way of advice/tips/suggestions that will help him on his way to being a great druid tank.

Oh and please don't post anything negative about his gear etc. I'm posting this for positive advice, and if you don't have any then please don't post.

Thanks in advance guys!

Caireagin
08-20-2008, 11:35 AM
1. WoW Feral Druid Gear Lists (http://www.emmerald.net/) is the site that my guild's feral druids have mentioned for gear lists.
I was going to go over gems and enchants as well, but Emmerald's site has lists for those as well.

I'll leave the rest of your questions to some actual druid tanks. I respecced my druid balance well before I hit 70.

Alent
08-20-2008, 11:56 AM
Advance warning: that gear list ignores crit immunity and set bonuses. Use at your own hazard, because if you follow them too literally you will get crit and DIE.

IMO, just use rawr (The Druid Wiki Rawr (http://druid.wikispaces.com/Rawr)) if you want a literal gear bible because you can load your character into it and it will actually downrate or uprate gear based on your current stats. Rawr is also an excellent tool for checking to see how much defense/resilience you need to be crit immune.

I also have a pre-raiding druid gear guide on the site here that might help. http://www.tankspot.com/forums/gear-lists-rankings/37674-how-gear-feral-tank-outlands.html

Your friend's making a few mistakes, these are:

1) A druid gemming for defense is like a warrior gemming for spellpower. blizzard has decreed that druids must not have defense rating on their gear, so we have to minmax with Resilience to get our crit immunity. For that matter, in that much PVP gear your friend doesn't even NEED defense rating. As a druid you should be gemming for Stam, Resilience or Agi. I personally use Resil/stam gems for yellow sockets, and Agi/Stam gems for red and blue, but your mileage may vary based on how much PVP gear you have. In my gear guide I suggest the rep PVP gear, but obviously your S1 is better.

2) No Badge of Tenacity. Made from a Depleted Badge. Both are readily available on the AH for a fortune, or you can go out and do the darkrune event yourself/farm BEP. The Druid Wiki Badge_of_Tenacity (http://druid.wikispaces.com/Badge_of_Tenacity) Shartuul's Transporter (event - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft (http://www.wowwiki.com/Shartuul%27s_Transporter_(event))

3) No armor on your staff is a cardinal no no. If you want to tank, you have to have armor on your staff. The armor from your staff + badge of tenacity, with dire bear armor mod, is equivalent to the armor on a T6 shield. Tanking without a shield is suicide for a warrior, tanking w/o an armor staff is suicide for a druid. there are exactly six armor staves in the game. Since your friend is only honored with CE, he'll need to grind rep to get his earthwarden. He should get Braxxis' staff of slumber if he wants to tank in the meantime. there's always a few in the AH on my server.

4) Never enchant +armor. It isn't appliciable for dire bear armor mod. You get more mileage out of stam and agi enchants. Agi to cloak, Agi or 2% threat to gloves. Stam to bracers, Resilience to chest, stam/resil glyph for head (he got this right, at least! Now where's his meta gem?), 35 agi on weapon, Boar's speed on boots.

Rev13
08-22-2008, 06:41 AM
If you're going for a straight tank build, then:

Nature's Grasp, Feral Aggression need to go. Intensity should be picked up along with Primal Tenacity.

tadam3000
08-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Between Emmerald's Lists and Rawr (mentioned by Caireagan and Alent) most of his gear questions can be answered. Using them both is probably the best bet so you can see what is in the ballpark of upgrades, and then model in Rawr to see it's real benefit.

Absolutely, get Earthwarden, use Braxxis' before that. The amount of armor from those outweighs the DPS and TPS provided by the PVP weapon. Though, depending ont he content he is tanking, if he overgears it in terms ofeffective health and overall mitigation, the PvP weapon can be nice to up TPS and increase damage done.

Get rid of Darbiri's engima entirely. Replace it with something useful (Badge of Tenacity being th ebest bet). With so much PvP gear he is far beyong crit immune, don't waste the slot on the meager avoidance boost the trinket gives.

However, regarding the resilience/defense divide, point for point, Defense is better than Resilience due to the avoidance it provides, but resilience requires fewer points. With the overall quality and accessbility of PvP gear (particularly season 2) resilience is the most effective way to achieve crit immunity, but defense should not be neglected out of hand.

Even if he enjoys PvP, he should take Rev13's suggestions on spec.

Alent
08-22-2008, 10:45 AM
However, regarding the resilience/defense divide, point for point, Defense is better than Resilience due to the avoidance it provides, but resilience requires fewer points. With the overall quality and accessbility of PvP gear (particularly season 2) resilience is the most effective way to achieve crit immunity, but defense should not be neglected out of hand.

The best way to approach this is to see what defense you end up with, and add needed Resilience through gems, enchants and pvp bracers. If you even so much as attempt to get Defense, you'll just shaft yourself. It's too hard to gear for defense rating once you go past the BoE blues.

Chosenx
08-22-2008, 10:49 AM
Thanks for all of the responses guys. They have all been extremely helpful, and I will be sure to point other druids needing a hand I come across to this topic as well.

Still any more advice/points of view would still be very much appreciated (you can never have too much constructive advice).

Just wanted to let you all know that the responses are very much being used and are appreciated muchly! (so keep em coming if you have more to add!)